Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

Owait, your getting rid of that...

It's getting replaced by similar mechanics, though. I could also just boost the Vortixx's default stats compared to other species, if necessary. Still, it's probably far in the future, I think.

Well, I'm getting pretty quick progress on Vortixx sprites here, actually.vortixx_heads.pngrocky_vortixx_jog.gifThe walk cycle is only half done, as I've only made the legs yet.I'll see about splitting up some Piraka sprites as well, separating spines from the body and so on. I might push on to add basic Vortixx and Skakdi as playable characters, even if they won't have any special powers at first.

Current engine news: I kinda sorta finally got around to adding a menu option for changing Rahkshi spine styles.It is exactly the same code as for changing mask styles. Except for spines.Took me 2 minutes.AI has had randomized spines for a long, long time.I should have done this a year and a half ago if I wasn't such a tool.I'm sorry. :<

Suggestion for the Vortixx: make them more capable of using weapons/technology. Either allow them to choose an extra perk (if that's the system you go for) or give them less penalties for dual-wielding. Perhaps make them able to move freely while firing projectile weapons; that'd be fun. :P

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

I really like the flight test (I know, old news, late to the party, blah, blah, blah)! Didn't get around to screenshots yet. Can you take them in the test?

The only thing I thought was weird was the fact that they all had wings and when you go through one side of the screen, you pop out the opposite side. Thought I was gonna crash, Katuko! Thought I was gonna crash! Also, the controls were a little delayed at first, but I started to figure them out, so don't change them. I might make the screenshots over the weekend, guys.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Suggestion for the Vortixx: make them more capable of using weapons/technology.

That was pretty much my thought as well. I'll wait with deciding on the details until I've actually got something workable in-game, though.

I really like the flight test (I know, old news, late to the party, blah, blah, blah)! Didn't get around to screenshots yet. Can you take them in the test?

I can't remember if I enabled them or not. Most likely not, since I didn't see any need for it. It's just an empty room with some Toa sprites flying around, after all.

The only thing I thought was weird was the fact that they all had wings and when you go through one side of the screen, you pop out the opposite side. Thought I was gonna crash, Katuko! Thought I was gonna crash! Also, the controls were a little delayed at first, but I started to figure them out, so don't change them. I might make the screenshots over the weekend, guys.

I added the wings as a visual effect mostly because it looked slightly weird without them. I don't think the wings will be so apparent when I port this over to the main game.I also didn't bother to program any land physics or crash possibilities or even background elements, since this was originally just a ball sprite flaying around. It was a control test for myself. ;) The controls make you fly in whatever direction you press. I thought to make it a clockwise/counter-clockwise rotation control at first, but it didn't feel right when the rest of the game uses cardinal directions. There is currently a slight problem when you fly straight up or down and then switch directions, because you might rotate the opposite way of what you wanted. Tap a different direction key first to select direction, if necessary.

Well, I'm getting pretty quick progress on Vortixx sprites here, actually.vortixx_heads.pngrocky_vortixx_jog.gifThe walk cycle is only half done, as I've only made the legs yet.I'll see about splitting up some Piraka sprites as well, separating spines from the body and so on. I might push on to add basic Vortixx and Skakdi as playable characters, even if they won't have any special powers at first.

YESH. Vortixx AND Skakdi. This is too good.

That reminds me, I have a few joke screenshots of my own... I'll upload 'em before long.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Hi, I am still working on those sketches for the Ta-Koro fortress. The Kadin flight test is great and I'm really liking the idea of playing as Toa, Rahkshi, Vortixx or Skakdi. Also, I was wondering where I could get a banner for my signature. Thanks!

My BZPRPG Profiles

If you interact with me, and I haven't responded after a while, feel free to PM me.

I was wondering where I could get a banner for my signature. Thanks!

There was some trouble with the banner URLs after the forum got updated, so I haven't re-added them to the first post yet. I'll see about doing that, or perhaps just make a blog post to save topic space.

Hi, I am still working on those sketches for the Ta-Koro fortress. The Kadin flight test is great and I'm really liking the idea of playing as Toa, Rahkshi, Vortixx or Skakdi. Also, I was wondering where I could get a banner for my signature. Thanks!

Right now, just look around this topic and find one you like. Right click on the one you want and click "open image in new tab" if it has a link. That's what I did.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

So, I'm trying to make a proper blog post with all the signature banners I have, but ever since the forum upgrade it's a nightmare to use BBCode boxes for displaying the code as plain text. So, I put in the image on top, that works fine. I add a code box below it, with the URL and image link ready. That works. But come the next code box, and the editor refuses to let it work as it should. The /CODE tag is moved to right besides the opening tag, and this results in every link and image being shown as... well, images. So I get a mess.I've tried using the CODEBOX tag instead, which happens to work better, but it still shows the image inside the code box despite the URL tag being skipped as it should be. It seems that the new IMG tag formatting (which is just IMG= rather than a pair of IMG and /IMG tags) is not being recognized by the forum software. It doesn't seem like rocket science to just make the parser skip everything until it reaches the /CODE tag, but apparently it still feels the need to parse IMG tags. (Note, not blaming this on BZP's staff, it's the board software programming.)The issue is further complicated by the forum disallowing me to search for the term "code", even in the Q&A section. The only mention I could find of this issue was related to images and quotes (which have been fixed) but no word on code boxes. I'll get back to you on this once it works.

Yes, I want to display that as this:

[url=http://www.bzpower.com/board/index.php?showtopic=418][img=http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Katuko/Avatars/biofight095_banner_laser.png][/url]
If I use more than one such code box in a post, however, all except the first will mess up something fierce. Copying and pasting an image on this forum does not seem to bring with it the URL tag. I can only get the topic URL (copy link location) or image URL (copy image location). Copying the image pastes it as just the image, at least for me. Thus, I don't want to rely on it to work for other users either.In other news, I've been testing some Chain Lightning visual effects for the new versions. I might post another test file for you soon. :)

OK, two test files for you guys today, since I haven't punted out a new update yet. ;)Chain Lightning effect test - new burst shot as well as a refining of the current version. File is 5.67 MB, EXE format.Download from MediaFireDownload from DropboxToa ragdoll test. Very basic physics, and kinda wonky at the moment. I'm working on fixing this. You can toss the thing around a bit or give it an electric shock, it's up to you. File is 4.11 MB, EXE format.Download from MediaFireDownload from Dropbox

Well, the test wasn't what I expected

Always good to know what you expected, then, so that I might know what to do differently. ;)

Well I was expecting chars in an environment like last time, not squares with numbers on them. Ragdoll test was much more like it. Not sure what you're supposed to test with it other than maybe showing Toa taking damage better, though.

Edited by TNT-Vezon with an Olmak

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I was thinking of adding Toa graphics, but I'm just going through test files here. Making characters walk and run and jump takes longer than reducing everything except the essentials to placeholder graphics. With chain lightning, this test was purely for the lightning itself. Some spiffy graphics and heck of a lot of improved code behind the scenes. It's going to get in-game soon enough, then you'll have the proper test environment. :)

I don't like the Red Star. In any case, the puff of smoke is a standard effect in GameMaker, and it looks embarrassingly terrible, at least from my point of view. It would be replaced sooner or later anyways, and ragdolls are much more fun. Corpses will still have to fade, but at least it will look better than what's currently there.Disintegrations and such will stay, of course.