Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

I have an idea for the absorb ability for a Toa of Psionics. It would briefly decrease the stats of nearby characters, but it wouldn't work if there's nobody nearby.

Assuming Katuko sticking to canon; Toa of Psionics can't absorb Psionic Energy.

Neither can gravity, so their "absorption" of gravity lessens it for anyone in the immediate area, but they are still expending energy points on the ability rather than gaining anything back. Mapping a telekinetic hold to the absorb key would work similarly for Toa of Psionics. Right now they are already using that key for canceling the effect of their Emanate skill, though.

well, so far, we've seen Toa fight each other, rahkshi appear out of no-where, and exo-toa that have a mind of their own. I'm not quite sure that fits with canon :P

Well, Exo-Toa can run on automatic. But some of it, yeah...

Correct, Exo-Toa can run on auto-pilot. The ones found in the Bohrok nest did so in order to defend against the Kal, while the Brotherhood of Makuta have been mentioned to keep several of them around as guards. Chirox had one at hand to test out his antidermis-possession on, to cite one example. Kojol was mentioned to have led a strike team of Visorak, Rahkshi and Exo-Toa towards Arthaka. In fact, the Exo-Toa were ultimately the part of his army that seized control of the island until Kojol could get the Mask of Light.Since they can be programmed to fight any target, I have not found any reason to stop them from firing at both Toa and Rahkshi alike. :PToa fought each other in the main universe as well, though not at this scale. Even less reason for Rahkshi to tear into each other unless they are wild, but meh. If you want a story, call it full-on civil war. It's what I've gone with in my head, at least. No further justification will be given. ;)I try sticking with canon in most cases, but I do take some liberties here and there.

I am not sure if it is just my computer, but I accessed MediaFire, and I had to repeatedly load in Captchas while they popped-up advertisements of football(soccer) betting sites. Anyone else have the same problem? They keep re-directing me to the same page to type in Caotchas. ? :(

I've been using MediaFire precisely because it's one of the few free hosts that haven't done that to me up until now, but then again I'm running AdBlock Plus and NoScript for both Firefox and Chrome. Ads are mostly a thing of the past for me.

Dropbox should be 100% free of advertisement, if Mediafire doesn't work for you. If Dropbox doesn't work either, then I guess I'll have to find more places to mirror my files.

News:

Ragdolls are proving annoying troublesome. I now have a proper piece of math in place that bends limbs properly when colliding with walls, but there are some other kinks to work out with the new version that's just BLEH to work on.

So after some pestering from a friend of mine, I made a new, unique Toa of Lightning secondary attack instead. No more Chain Lightning copy-pasta, now they shoot three lightning balls that home in on targets instead. They move relatively slow and don't home in immediately, so they're not overpowered, I promise. Since they were extremely quick to program, I spent some time on balancing their damage and such instead. Then I whined for several minutes over Skype when I was pushed to make a new lightning ball in after Effects instead of simple re-using the lightning bolts I had again. Proceed with gruesome verbal abuse of my friend, but spiffy new graphics as a result.

Gonna need more such work-sessions. I should set up a live-stream or something like all the cool developers do. :lol:

I've also tested some Felnas programming, but at the moment it's only half-done and rather dysfunctional. It will not be in this release either, I think. I've sketched out some details of how the new engine will be programming-wise, so I'm looking to start that one in full rather soon. The separate parts of it seem to work on paper with (theoretically) less lag and less issues than the current one has.

Now, on to add some more Rahkshi spine styles (if you have any good sprites for this, send 'em over). Note that I already have some that was made alongside the original Rahkshi sprites, so that's at least 6 spines for you too choose between. Previously only bots have had randomized spines, but now you can select your own. Yay!

Also working a bit on finding new sound effects to liven things up.

Edited by Katuko

Katuko, might you consider making the game playable in a browser (i.e. hosting it on a webpage, no download.), and/or backwards compatibility to Windows XP? That would enable more people to enjoy the game. Thanks!

There is a fundamental difference between a desktop game and an online game. A game which runs in a browser cannot afford to use as many CPU-intensive features, which means that while I'm already doing optimizations, I'd have to do even further optimizations to even consider browsers as a platform.

A download is required whether you play in a browser or not. The only difference is that your browser game gets stuck in a temporary folder (or a permanent one, if it's that kind of game). You do not save anything on disk space or transfer times. I can export to HTML5 if I buy an export module for it, and that would make the game possible to host on a webpage, and likely compatible with all HTML5-capable browsers. Not gonna happen at the moment, though, particularly because this game isn't really fit for browser play. A lot of people are already lagging on non-browser version, so I'll have to fix that first.

Online connectivity is independent of the game being browser-based. It's done by multiplayer functions, possibly Extensions and DLLs like Faucet Networking. Extensions are not entirely compatible with HTML5-exports. The new built-in network function GM:Studio looks to be just as good, however. We'll see in the future, but for now the game will stay out-of-browser. I do not have a 24/7 server, I do not have the appropriate net connection, and I do not have the dev team I'd need to handle such things as proper online accounts, etc. Saving character files and other things locally is a lot easier and cost-efficient for a random hobbyist fan-game programmer such as myself.

I can likewise not guarantee backwards compatibility, sorry. WinXP, while awesome, is so old at this point that I'm not even sure it's officially supported by any newer programs.

Something that I've been noticing for quite some time is that several rahkshi's default color schemes are canonically incorrect. I recommend referring to the wiki at some point when you get the chance.

I have already been debating with myself over the color schemes. Some are pulled partly from Kraata color as well, because otherwise the themes would be too similar to another Rahkshi or look maybe just a bit weird overall. I might redo some of them, but it's not a prmary concern of mine. I hate the default Plant Life colors as well; they should probably have been teal rather than plain blue/green.

Neither can gravity, so their "absorption" of gravity lessens it for anyone in the immediate area, but they are still expending energy points on the ability rather than gaining anything back. Mapping a telekinetic hold to the absorb key would work similarly for Toa of Psionics. Right now they are already using that key for canceling the effect of their Emanate skill, though.

Toa of Gravity can't absorb energy? Huh, didn't know that....

When a Toa absorbs their element, they turn it into elemental energy. If they have reached their full capacity, they become unable to convert and store it properly, and are forced to release it. Thus, Vakama could absorb a certain amount of energy with no problem, but once it got too much he started heating up.Gravitation is a natural phenomenon which causes physical bodies to attract each other. Sufficient mass causes the gravity of the planet to keep us grounded, and the sun to keep its planets in orbit. Elements of nature like water and rock can be broken down by a Toa and converted to a form of stored energy. Likewise, they can convert the energy into their element at will, often making it appear to spawn out of nothing.Gravity and psionic waves are not tangible in the same way. A Toa of Gravity can change the gravity in the area by pouring elemental energy into it, but once the energy is spent the gravity returns to normal. It seems likely that the elemental Energy of gravity manipulates the mass of the object but is incapable of "permanently" keeping it that way by bonding. It dissipates. Thus, the Toa has to generate their own gravity-manipulating energy via their own body's systems, as they can not truly convert natural gravity to stored energy. To do so would essentially violate the law of conservation of energy.The same goes for Psionics. It is a wave of energy that happens to fit with a being's brain patterns and can thus deliver a very effective mental shock (compared to Air or Sonics or Lightning, who would deliver a direct blast that had a more external effect by first slamming into the head). A burst of Psionic energy can also keep objects suspended in mid-air (telekinesis), and the Psionic can also tap into and "translate" brain waves in order to achieve mind reading. They can not absorb telekinetic energy, for it too dissipates from its Elemental form once used. Likewise, brain waves can not be "absorbed" and converted to a stored energy reserve.Magnetism, on the other hand, is made specifically to work with magnetic waves, which we know to be based in electric currents (though not electrical shocks and manifestations like what Lightning controls). This is likely the basis for the name "lightning" rather than "electricity". Lightning is made to work by delivering electric shocks, not to fine-tune eectromagnetism and similar. It can be achieved via electric control, but it's not the average Lightning Toa's field of work.Long story short: Gravity and Psionics cannot absorb energy from their element. They always have to generate their energy from their own bodies. As such, while their Absorb abilities in my game has an effect that might be called "absorption" (lessening gravity and aborting psionic control, respectively) they do not regain energy from it.As an element, Gravity has its glide ability (which is rather more useful than a lot of other passive powers I've added) while Psionics regenerates energy three times as fast as the others.New update will be out by the end of the week, by the way. No sense in keeping it back any longer.

Edited by Katuko

To summarize my recent profile status update in this topic as well:

- Fixed bots getting stuck in a cluster by the wall (primarily seen in Mangaia).

- Bots will (hopefully) no longer stand in the same place and spam their melee attack when they're just hitting empty air.

- AI Toa will now use their ability to absorb energy if no one else is around.

- AI Toa will no longer try to turn on their mask when they have no EP left. Prevents flickering powers.

- AI Rahkshi will prefer to hang onto their personal staff rather than discard it for another weapon. They will also pick up a staff of their own type if they come across one.

- Bots in general will now actually use their projectile weapons outside of melee range.

So in this next update,the current changes are:

- New Chain Lightning setup.

- New Toa of Lightning secondary, replacing the Chain Lightning copy.

- Some AI fixes.

- Red border on the screen when you take damage.

- Some new sound effects.

It will have to be guesstimated based on various media, but I've been thinking it would be kind of like MNOG2's fortress: Inside the city walls, and with some rooms like Vakama's, but ultimately adapted for a platform game rather than true canon.

I've decided you don't have enough to do in this game. Toa Mata fight in Ta-Koro has been updated with some extra HP and protection from falling off the edge for an easy kill. Since the Toa Mata canonically have access to Suva, I've made them able to switch to Kanohi Miru if they fall off. They might still be dipped in lava for some good damage, but they will fly back up. Their health levels have been buffed compared to regular characters. A new bot setting also prevents them from tossing away their iconic gear, so Tahu will always keep his Fire Sword, for example.

Kini-Nui now has a big fight for you to undertake as well. Since I programmed some extra stuff for that, like healthbars shown for the boss characters in the corner of the screen, I've added that to the Toa Mata as well.

EDIT: After some trouble with my net connection, I finally got a Dropbox link up.

BIONICLE Fighter alpha version 13.0

Download from Dropbox

Download from Mediafire

Size: 53.42 MB

Format: Compressed ZIP folder (extract before use)

Changes:

- Made it possible to change the Rahkshi spine style in the menu. This setting is now saved in character files as well.
- Added new and improved primary Chain Lightning version to Rahkshi and Rahkshi staff.
- Added new secondary power to Rahkshi of Chain Lightning: Burst Bolt. Instantly hits a number of targets around the inital victim.
- Added HUD "hurt" border when the player takes damage.
- Added new Ball Lightning secondary attack for Toa of Lightning, replacing the Chain Lightning copy.
- Added new enemy group, found at Kini-Nui.
- Added new enemy fight, found in Mangaia.
- Added main menu credits roll.
- Fixed Nui-Rama not losing their target when the target turns invisible.
- Healing orbs now add a third of their heal value in EP as well.
- Added sound effects to the Kanohi Kakama.
- Added unique sound effects to armor and Kanohi pickups.
- Made Rahkshi bots prefer to pick up and use their own staff type as their weapon.
- Prevented unimplemented, invisible armor types from spawning anymore.
- Toa bots now only activate their mask power if they have a certain supply of energy left.
- Attempted new fixes at bots getting stuck in walls and ceilings.
- Toa bots will absorb energy if they are below maximum and has no current target to fight.
- Bots will now use projectile weapons outside melee range, though they still prefer their powers over weapons.
- Fixed Rahkshi of Poison wasting their power at long range.
- Ported Toa Mata boss fight to the new boss control type; with healthbars, screen edge protection and gear swap prevention.
- Allowed Toa Mata to switch to Kanohi Miru if they fall off the platform, so long as they are not stunned and are wearing a mask.
Edited by Katuko

While the Toa Mata battle has certainly improved from previous updates, extensive play testing showed me a small bug (I suppose) during the fight, that I believe I should let you know of, Katuko: while they do activate the Miru's to avoid falling in the lava, there are cases, 85% of the time, where they just let themselves sink should they fall in the lava anyway. While they still have the mask intact, they just don't use it once they go into the lava. Other than that, as long as they don't touch the lava, the battle seems to be working fine.

the_medic_is_house.jpg

After just getting it, it was hard. Playing as the new improved Lighting powers of Toa and Rahkshi got me killed a lot. Kini: Toa of Lightning kept dying because of the power of the Rahkshi. For some reason Lehrak was not in there, either that or he already died. It works good, and got one screen shot of it.

gallery_110528_107_5250.jpg

While the Toa Mata battle has certainly improved from previous updates, extensive play testing showed me a small bug (I suppose) during the fight, that I believe I should let you know of, Katuko: while they do activate the Miru's to avoid falling in the lava, there are cases, 85% of the time, where they just let themselves sink should they fall in the lava anyway. While they still have the mask intact, they just don't use it once they go into the lava. Other than that, as long as they don't touch the lava, the battle seems to be working fine.

I've encountered this once too, though I thought it was due to either a lack of present opponents or the toa was possibly recharging energy.

bBhcfWO.png

I've tried out the new update and it's all getting more awesome. The Kini Nui boss battle is especially awesome.

Also, I'm running this on a Mac and I've had some problems. When playing, I experience extreme slowness or low fps. It seems not to be an fps problem as even the animations are slow (jumping, punching, or using skills). This problem goes away as soon as I die and comes back when I respawn.

Any ideas?

I've tried out the new update and it's all getting more awesome. The Kini Nui boss battle is especially awesome.

Also, I'm running this on a Mac and I've had some problems. When playing, I experience extreme slowness or low fps. It seems not to be an fps problem as even the animations are slow (jumping, punching, or using skills). This problem goes away as soon as I die and comes back when I respawn.

Any ideas?

Same thing I've had. Running it through Wine?

save not only their lives

d665fa5c17bc200a946e0a69eaf11f929dc080cb

but their spirits

Now, on to add some more Rahkshi spine styles (if you have any good sprites for this, send 'em over). Note that I already have some that was made alongside the original Rahkshi sprites, so that's at least 6 spines for you too choose between. Previously only bots have had randomized spines, but now you can select your own. Yay!

Woohoo! I can't wait to customize my own Rahkshi! [happy dance]

20795.jpg

while they do activate the Miru's to avoid falling in the lava, there are cases, 85% of the time, where they just let themselves sink should they fall in the lava anyway.

I've encountered this once too, though I thought it was due to either a lack of present opponents or the toa was possibly recharging energy.

While the AI control of the Toa Mata "cheat" a bit by auto-switching to Miru and using a slightly more effective float mechanic when avoiding the lava, it will not work if their movement variable has been set to "false". This happens to everyone when absorbing energy, and the new basic AI starts absorbing energy if there is no one to fight at the moment.So yeah, Malignus would be right. The Toa is sinking because they don't have a clear line of sight to their target, and are at below max EP.

It's force closing... And I don't know why.... The previous version works fine.

No big changes beyond some extra abilities and sound effects. If it was already running slow on your computer, it might have hit the breaking point?

After just getting it, it was hard. Playing as the new improved Lighting powers of Toa and Rahkshi got me killed a lot. Kini: Toa of Lightning kept dying because of the power of the Rahkshi. For some reason Lehrak was not in there, either that or he already died. It works good, and got one screen shot of it.

The Rahkshi in the middle can sometimes die more quickly because they get hit by their allies. Lehrak is sandwiched between Guurahk and Panrahk's 100 damage beams, so he might take some abuse.

Also, I'm running this on a Mac and I've had some problems. When playing, I experience extreme slowness or low fps. It seems not to be an fps problem as even the animations are slow (jumping, punching, or using skills). This problem goes away as soon as I die and comes back when I respawn.Any ideas?

It's the emulation that has to take place for the Mac to run it at all. I can't really do anything about this at the moment, sorry.Running slow like this is an FPS problem, by the way. Frames Per Second, and you are running fewer than you should. It's lag, slowdown, FPS decrease. :)

Not sure if some has already said this, but in the 3 boss battles I've been in, it always seems to freeze. The music and sounds continue, but everything else is frozen. It's probably because my computer sucks, it could be lag from so many enemies. Would it be possible make all enemies despawn when a boss is summoned?

EDIT: Toa of fire + quake breakers + Kualsi = overpowered to the max. Might want to decrease the amount of time something can't move after being hit by a fireball.

Edited by Arzaki

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

It's force closing... And I don't know why.... The previous version works fine.

No big changes beyond some extra abilities and sound effects. If it was already running slow on your computer, it might have hit the breaking point?

The computer I have now is much faster and much better than the one I had about a month ago. and the previous release runs near flawlessly. there shouldn't be a problem. I don't know what's happening...

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group