Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

I think you should be able to change the appearance of the mask you wear (like making a suletu look like a hau)

...... Why? What good does that do?

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

I think you should be able to change the appearance of the mask you wear (like making a suletu look like a hau)

...Allows for more customization without having to make any more sprites? :P Besides, this is done in Bionicle canon, so it's not like it's a far-fetched idea.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

...Allows for more customization without having to make any more sprites? :P Besides, this is done in Bionicle canon, so it's not like it's a far-fetched idea.

True, but I think it would be better to have some warning of what their mask power is.

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

True, but I think it would be better to have some warning of what their mask power is.

But then you can't make some canon characters, like Krakua. And by the looks of it, Toa Aeron wants to do exactly that.

new_sig_legacy_2.png

I don't think it would be simple to impliment. Plus the dropped masks. In a game, if it looks like a hau it should act like one. Makes things simpler.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

But, again, this is a fighting game, if you can't tell what mask your opponent is wearing it makes fighting them that much more complicated. I don't want to be preparing to take down someone appearing to be wearing a Hau just to have them jet to the sky. That doesn't make sense to me.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

But, again, this is a fighting game, if you can't tell what mask your opponent is wearing it makes fighting them that much more complicated. I don't want to be preparing to take down someone appearing to be wearing a Hau just to have them jet to the sky. That doesn't make sense to me.

It would be harder for hunger rahkshi to obliterate everything. If the player is a hunger rahkshi, and you see a player with a pakari, you likely just shoot s hunger beam or whatever. Turns out that pakari user actually has a hau, and your rahkshi is now less dominant.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

And what, it's not weird to attack what you think is a Toa of Fire and have him start shooting laser beams instead? Don't pretend that being able to "hide" one's powers is a new thing; it can already be done with everything but Kanohi.

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

And what, it's not weird to attack what you think is a Toa of Fire and have him start shooting laser beams instead? Don't pretend that being able to "hide" one's powers is a new thing; it can already be done with everything but Kanohi.

But a computerized character always takes it's default colors. Hadn't occurred to me.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

But a computerized character always takes it's default colors. Hadn't occurred to me.

And in theory, most computerized characters will take their default mask shapes. I'm not seeing much of a point here.

And in theory, most computerized characters will take their default mask shapes. I'm not seeing much of a point here.

Masks seem to be more geared to a strategic advantage while powers are more of a "cause as much collateral damage as possible". it should be known that you are wearing a mask of teleportation, so a person fighting you can have a plan of attack based on that. But most powers are basically ranged attacks with different properties. If you can't be sure what mask a person is wearing, it takes out a lot of potential strategy aspects that may show up later.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

I believe katuko already mentioned plans to implement mask customization though.

There's already some of that to a certain extent though.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

So, I just wondering is the Scopeless Great Matatu *Serious Face* worthy?

Sorry for not replying to this earlier. Yes, it looks nice. Thanks. :)

Click the stars above the Coliseum to see an update on the Protodermis Reclamation Yard Map!(image)

I like what you're doing with the background here. It'll look pretty spiffy in-game, I think.

I've been toying with the idea for some time, indeed due to Krakua and maybe some other canon characters having mismatched shapes and powers.

I don't think it would be simple to impliment. Plus the dropped masks. In a game, if it looks like a hau it should act like one. Makes things simpler.

Implementation of this is actually very simple; almost more simple than correctly matching power and shape. Each character and dropped mask object has two variables set: One for the power, and one for the sprite to display. I could easily change the sprite variable and thus have someone using the wrong power for a given shape.I agree with the point that an item should be what it looks like. Otherwise, you'd already have completely separate power and shape options on the menu. Still, the idea has some merit, and many personal (non-canon) characters use such masks. A compromise is in order; one which I have already planned for the whole color issue.

Over the past days I haven't done much work on this game, because I've been too busy or tired. Yesterday I worked a bit on my game control, however, because I am trying to implement a proper game mode (win condition etc) for the next update. Starting the new engine took longer than expected due to issues with sprites.What I did do, however, was to implement respawning bot players. That is, when one dies it is not replaced by a new random one, you instead get the same bot. These bots use the player control system, so they have their own kill/death counter, respawn timer etc. They also had completely randomized colors at first, which unfortunately had a tendency to give them all a dirt-green look with some unfitting color on the rest.It also became clear that when an enemy runs towards you, the colors do have an influence on how you perceive the threat. A somewhat purple Rahkshi made me instinctively think of it as Adapation, a power which has no abilities programmed for itself yet. I was thus momentarily surprised to find that it was a Rahkshi of Fear, so I took a hit which I didn't even try to dodge. Key point, though: This only tricks you once, the first time you see the bot. For the rest of the match, that bot would never fool me with its false colors again.I don't think non-canon colors or mask shapes would be much of a problem to adjust to, it just forces you to be slightly more careful the first time you meet someone. A bigger issue would be if someone was wearing a Kanohi Hau in the shape of a Kakama, and then died off-screen. You pass by, desperately needing defense. So you ditch your current mask for the one on the ground, and then expect to be able to reflect an attack. Instead, you eat a fireball to the face because the power wasn't right and you didn't notice the pickup message in the heat of battle.A potential fix would be to have the mask morph into its default shape when dropped, and then maybe let players morph masks to suit their personal taste when they pick them up. This can also be confusing as part of the main game, however.Thus, my current fix for all this: - Add game settings for canon/non-canon. These will be set on the menu where you pick the map and game mode, along with other match settings.
  • [*]Restrict character colors to canon palette. (Y/N)[*]Restrict Kanohi powers to match canon Kanohi shapes. (Y/N)[*]Allow Kanohi to change shapes when picked up. (Y/N)

- Add a switch tab to the character menu, where a player can choose to set two different color palettes: One matching their own wishes, and one matching canon restrictions.- When a player goes in-game, their character is matched against the match settings. If something like a bright yellow Toa of Water is found, the alternate palette is checked. If none is set, default Water element colors are used for the offending parts of that character.- This goes for Kanohi as well. If no canon mask style is set as an alternative, the default mask style will be used.Note how I would separate colors, shapes and such into different menu options. This is so that you can allow the current form of custom colors but standardized mask; switch it over to full-canon if desired; switch it to complete BZPRPG mode if desired.Heck, with this I could toss in an option for allowing custom element colors too, without all that much trouble. Blue fire and orange lightning; I know some have wanted this.Like in other games: When the game eventually goes online it will be the match host who gets to choose these settings.

Edited by Katuko

some weapons swing faster than others what's that supposed to mean also the quake breaker is kinda OP

The faster weapons do less damage generally, as a balance.

And we all know that the Quake Breaker is OP. Use a ranged weapon or a Hau to fight it.

"Go beyond the impossible, and kick reason to the curb! That's how Team Gurren rolls!"

BZPRPG PROFILES

Exo-Force RPG Profiles

I suppose that works... I'm also somewhat assuming that you would actually have time to do all those things before being attacked, which may not be the case.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

some weapons swing faster than others what's that supposed to mean also the quake breaker is kinda OP

Slower weapons are a bit more powerful. The Quake Breaker is OP in its current incarnation, but things will change later.

I suppose that works... I'm also somewhat assuming that you would actually have time to do all those things before being attacked, which may not be the case.

Do which things, exactly?

Hey got a question about the games future versions I see you use a sprite kit for the avatars would you ever have a version useing a diffrent kit?

No, too much work has gone into Rayg already to switch for it for some other sprite kit. I chose Rayg for this game because it included many characters, items and poses in a decent resoulution and a nice style. I've not found any other BIONICLE sprite kits which appeal to me in the same way; as they are either not as appealing to me in style, or they are severely lacking in available poses.

I think the toa mata and takanuva need a better boss fight music "hakkan's volcano" is too much like a normal background music try sumthin else or stick avak's dynamo again

also some default rahkshi colors are wrong please fix that

I certainly didn't mean to force you to implement them. However, the goal isn't a game that's perfectly balanced, the goal is a game that people play. And I play the game more with life bars. [...] I guess that convinced me. I'll survive without my precious life bars. Hopefully. Just be prepared to see people suggest this as a "feature" a lot, okay?

As good as every multiplayer game I see doesn't show life bars, so I'm not really worried.

Okay. I'm not a gamer, so I haven't played any other multiplayer games. Still, if all your friends jumped off a bridge, would you? I think being different from all the other multiplayer games would be good in this case. Anyway, the lack of life bars is kind of starting to bother me less, so I'll try to leave you alone about this.Toa of Air power doesn't seem to work on Nui-Rama.

But then you can't make some canon characters, like Krakua. And by the looks of it, Toa Aeron wants to do exactly that.

İnfact thats exactly where I got the idea

The faster weapons do less damage generally, as a balance.

And we all know that the Quake Breaker is OP. Use a ranged weapon or a Hau to fight it.

fast swinging weapons sometimes do the exact same damage as their slower counterparts like the air axe's damage equals the damage of the air saber and the fact that the air saber is stronger in the air doesn't change stuff at all

spawning masks shouldn't be changing appearances but a rode would see through the different mask shapes

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.

It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot!

I was playing this game a bit last night and I loved it, but also noticed two problems.

1) The game thinks my cursor is higher than it really is, for instance, if my cursor was in the middle of the screen and I click, it would select something in the top half.

2) The game has no windowed mode so on my built in netbook monitor the very bottom of the screen is cut off and I can't move it to my larger additional monitor.

Please try to fix these because it's kind of hard to play when these kind of problems happen.

I was playing this game a bit last night and I loved it, but also noticed two problems.

1) The game thinks my cursor is higher than it really is, for instance, if my cursor was in the middle of the screen and I click, it would select something in the top half.

2) The game has no windowed mode so on my built in netbook monitor the very bottom of the screen is cut off and I can't move it to my larger additional monitor.

Please try to fix these because it's kind of hard to play when these kind of problems happen.

If you press F4 it has a windowed mode.

bBhcfWO.png

also some default rahkshi colors are wrong please fix that

Compromises have been made between Rahkshi colors, Kraata colors, elemental color association and gameplay recognition. I might look into making them a bit more accurate them later, but for now I worry about other things.

fast swinging weapons sometimes do the exact same damage as their slower counterparts like the air axe's damage equals the damage of the air saber and the fact that the air saber is stronger in the air doesn't change stuff at all

It's due to a long-running lack of care about melee programming on my part, to be honest. Once I found out that my current way of doing animations doesn't leave a lot of room for flexibility, all melee attacks got reduced to the basic stab animation. Otherwise such weapons as axes would have different ways of swinging that would give them broader range and thus offset the damage differences.As far as the air saber goes, it's upside frequently came into play with all the Miru and Rahkshi flight usage in Karda Nui. That gave it a pretty permanent +2 STR bonus (and it should be noted that STR also affects elemental attacks to a small degree).

You're not the only one who's had this issue, and I'm not sure what causes it. I'm guessing it's related to the fact that your screen apparently is smaller than 768 pixels in height, though. When I started making this game, I first thought that I should make a single standard size because multiplayer matches often force view constraints, and I went with 768 because it was a fairly normal 4:3 format size. I thought that my laptop was 800 pixels tall, and mine is in the smaller range. Certainly most modern monitors would be larger, I thought, so I skipped the tiny 640x480 default size, and past 800x600. 1024x768 is the size it's currently running at.My new engine will instead use a 16:9 default view, and have the option for the game to change its view size. As it is right now, the state of my inner code workings is best left unspoken.For now, you can indeed press F4 to switch out of fullscreen, and move the window around. No resizing at the moment. Basic feature, I know. Should have been in from the start.

More problems-

1. I was not able to click on the buttons that choose the colors and the species, it was almost like they weren't buttons
  2. I noticed that sometimes when your cursor is in just the right space when choosing stats that you can sometimes select two at once (for me it happened when increasing mind), this one is small but can lead to (temporarily) wasted points
  3. When I go to click the "Shield", "Save Character", or "Load Character" buttons I can't due to either not being able to drag my cursor down far enough(in full screen) or because dragging my cursor down that far leads to me click out of the game(in window)

I really hope these problems are fixed so I can enjoy this amazing looking game.

I really hope these problems are fixed so I can enjoy this amazing looking game.

It all seems to stem from the same problem; that the cursor in the game is recognized as being in a different place than you would expect from your screen. Could you please PM me your monitor size(s) and graphics card specs so I may compare?EDIT:What little I've been working on recently. Edited by Katuko

Will other races be playable, if so which ones?

The original plan was to include Toa, Matoran, Rahkshi, Bohrok and Skakdi as potentially playable characters. It was quickly cut down to just Toa and Rahkshi, due to the immense amount of work that goes into creating so many powers.Lately I have been making some Vortixx sprites, and Skakdi are somewhat viable after all by giving them modified Toa elemental powers. Thus, the current list is as follows:- Toa and Rahkshi (primary concern)- Vortixx and Skakdi will hopefully be added after an rewrite of the game engine- Bohrok and Vahki as AI-controlled enemies.- Matoran and Turaga as AI-controlled NPCs.

How will you handle people getting extra exp points?

There will be no extra points for anyone. The points in the character customization is just there to allow you to change stats around within a certain limit. There is nothing to boost or unlock; you get any equipment you may want right from the start.If there is every any kind of level ups or unlocks in this game, it will just be a sort of "achievements" table and not affect gameplay directly.

I think I remember someone saying to add different boss music earlier. Well, I think you should use some music from Shadow of the Colossus. If there aren't any copyright issues and stuff, that is. That game has awesome music.

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I think I remember someone saying to add different boss music earlier. Well, I think you should use some music from Shadow of the Colossus. If there aren't any copyright issues and stuff, that is. That game has awesome music.

There a almost surely copyright issues... Music laws are incredibly convoluted and don't make much sense...

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

There a almost surely copyright issues... Music laws are incredibly convoluted and don't make much sense...

Then how did the BioMedia project get hold of Bionicle Heroes music?

Then how did the BioMedia project get hold of Bionicle Heroes music?

Got me...

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Yeah, that's something about the BioMedia Project that I'm a little iffy about. Because, I know a thing or two about music copyrights and stuff, and I know that the set up they have right now with the Cryoshell songs might be a tad illegal. Because if they don't have permission from either the label, the band, or both to have a free download, then that's kinda piracy and/or copyright infringement since there isn't a profit being made off the song. I don't know if it's the same set up for video game music or what, but if it is, eeeeeyyyyaaahh, might be illegal. Katuko, if I were you, I would have the music from BH in there for now, but before you put the game on a server, change it to something original or that you have the rights to or a royalty-free song. Ok, done with super long post (for me).

new_sig_legacy_2.png

Yeah... I flat out loath copyright law. It doesn't stop illegal activity, it just makes it really hard to use legally in ways like this.

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile