Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

The element of Fire can have yellow and black as secondary colors, for example; so it's not necessary to force a red Kanohi mask just because the selected blue doesn't work - black could be an acceptable substitute to that player.

So, with respect to Takua (who is an Av-Matoran anyway), we aren't going to see any blue toned Toa of Fire?

new_sig_legacy_2.png

So, with respect to Takua (who is an Av-Matoran anyway), we aren't going to see any blue toned Toa of Fire?

I believe Takua was counted as an anomaly, even amongst Matoran who usually wore painted masks anyways. So no, blue won't be a part of the "official" color palette for Fire unless someone can confirm it to be so.

It always crashes on karda nui when using windows 8. No idea why it would do that, but it you set it to compatibility mode with windows 7 it seems to work.

Unfortunately compatibility settings doesn't fix the crash that occurs when many fireballs explode at once, but if it helps with some issues that is great.

Given that the game will be multiplayer, could there be a setting to turn off color-changed elemental effects, such that the people who want to see the different colors may, and the people who prefer the standard effects only may choose not to?

This way, the people who might be confused by all those different colors don't have to deal with processing too much if they don't want to.

Already planned out, so don't worry. :) "Allow non-canon colors" will be a setting for both the character and the element itself. They will be separate, and have three levels: Full restriction to canon, loose with canon (colors can be tweaked, but only to an extent) and completely non-canon (any color goes). There will also be another setting for allowing masks to take a non-standard shape. The settings will be client-side, so that players who want to see crazy colors can do so, while others will have their game auto-adjust colors to fit a "canon" view.

This way, Player A can make her character be a green Toa of Fire who shoots blue fire, while Player B would see a red Toa of Fire who shoots normal, orange fire. Player C could potentially have restricted only the element colors, so that she sees Player A's character as green Toa of Fire, but the fire still appears orange.

In order to make people have some control even when the restrictions apply to their character, I will make character profiles able to save two "sets" - one completely custom, and one with restrictions in place. For example, you might want your Toa of Air to be primarily white and purple, but you would also be fine with it being completely green - you happen to dislike lime. You can then save your white-and-purple color scheme along with the completely green scheme. Having a second color scheme to fall back on prevents "half restriction" views from going directly to the standard green-and-lime color scheme when there's still room from some variation. The element of Fire can have yellow and black as secondary colors, for example; so it's not necessary to force a red Kanohi mask just because the selected blue doesn't work - black could be an acceptable substitute to that player.

Sounds neat, but how will the game differentiate between what counts as "yellow," what counts as "black," and what counts as "green?" They are a spectrum, you know.

bBhcfWO.png

Sounds neat, but how will the game differentiate between what counts as "yellow," what counts as "black," and what counts as "green?" They are a spectrum, you know.

A spectrum which is conveniently represented by values ranging from 0 to 255. Checking if a color is yellow is as simple as checking whether its hue lies between 50 and 70 (for example) and it saturation/value (brightness) components are high enough. I could perhaps make an array of colors, and restrict based on certain settings. For example, "black" could be registered as "any color with value below 40". Red could be "any hue above 240 or below 30, with a saturation above 40". Further restrictions could be made to lock it to only darker shades, brighter shades, shades of gray, etc.

Admittedly there needs to be some tweaking to make such a script work right, but the theory behind it is simple.

I haven't posted here for a darn long time ._.

Anyway, colored attacks are awesome. Incoming nerd rant-ish thing. I remember you saying something about green rocks? You do know that rocks and dirt and stuff can be pretty much any color, right? In a way, ores are rocks, and copper ore is a teal-ish color. There's also likely tons more of green earth-y objects. Gems might also count as being a rock, and amethyst can be pink, I would assume. Heck, diamonds could be pink. Aquamarine has several different colors.

I'm also pretty sure someone said something about water only being a select few colors. Toa of Water can control almost all liquids, right? Not just water, I think. That certain yellow liquid probably doesn't exist in the Bionicle universe, so ignore that. Water is naturally clear, or green-blue. Or maybe the green-blue is because of the ocean floor. I'm not sure, but still. Anyway, if Toa of Water can control almost any liquid, couldn't they control, for example oil? Crude oil comes in almost EVERY color known. Crude oil can also be found under oceans, and if a Toa of Water manages to control a lot of water above the oil pocket, it would cause a current upward, possibly dragging sand and loose particles with the water, maybe revealing the oil, and the oil might mingle with the water, causing it to change color. Or I'm just ranting on about impossible stuff.

Someone also said that fire can be every color, I think. I'm not sure if that's true, and heck, everything I just typed could be false. Fire being every color could just be because yellow fire might be in front of blue fire, for example, giving the illusion of green fire. Unless the fire is cursed. If you get that reference, cookies for you. Again, I'm not sure about the fire. I wouldn't be too surprised if it can be every color.

And don't take this as me saying something like "you stoop bro," because I'm not saying that. I'm just saying that a lot of matter can be almost any color. As I've said a few times, I could be completely wrong about this. My knowledge of elemental powers is a bit rusty.

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

I remember you saying something about green rocks? You do know that rocks and dirt and stuff can be pretty much any color, right? In a way, ores are rocks, and copper ore is a teal-ish color. There's also likely tons more of green earth-y objects. Gems might also count as being a rock, and amethyst can be pink, I would assume. Heck, diamonds could be pink. Aquamarine has several different colors.

I am not going to have rocks that look like gemstones, though. If the attack had looked like the crystals we see all over Onu-Koro there wouldn't be a problem, but as it is my attack graphic is a slab of dirt-colored rock. Blending it with any other color doesn't look right.

Anyway, if Toa of Water can control almost any liquid, couldn't they control, for example oil? Crude oil comes in almost EVERY color known. Crude oil can also be found under oceans, and if a Toa of Water manages to control a lot of water above the oil pocket, it would cause a current upward, possibly dragging sand and loose particles with the water, maybe revealing the oil, and the oil might mingle with the water, causing it to change color. Or I'm just ranting on about impossible stuff.

If it was oil it would also contain other properties than mostly pure water does, and be less transparent. From a gameplay perspective the issue is also that the liquid is not really transparent at this point, and that it will potentially look too similar to the graphics of poison and/or acid.

Someone also said that fire can be every color, I think. I'm not sure if that's true, and heck, everything I just typed could be false. Fire being every color could just be because yellow fire might be in front of blue fire, for example, giving the illusion of green fire. Unless the fire is cursed. If you get that reference, cookies for you. Again, I'm not sure about the fire. I wouldn't be too surprised if it can be every color.

The visible part of fire emits light and heat, with the wavelength and some other things determining the color. Depending on the temperature of the flame and the material which is being burned, you can create flames of many colors. Copper sulphate, for example, will produce a green flame; while a blowtorch's flame is blue.

Cursed fire being green, blue or violet (essentially any color not covered by regular firewood, actually) is a common sight in fiction, so I'm not sure which type of green fire you are referring to specifically. The Cursed Flame from Terraria is the first that springs to mind at the moment.

What if I wanted to make a toa of water with blue and white? (I do that quite a lot) eould that count as a water color scheme? Or would it be to close to electricity to be acceptable? Just a random question.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

Toa of water do not control other liquids, as evidenced by Nokama's lack of an elemental advantage in Metru Nui, where there is no water.

There is plenty of protodermic water in Ga-Metru; but yes, she would not be able to control liquids that are too different from water.

What if I wanted to make a toa of water with blue and white? (I do that quite a lot) eould that count as a water color scheme? Or would it be to close to electricity to be acceptable? Just a random question.

You can make whatever you want locally, it's just that someone who has chosen to restrict colors to canon will not see all of your colors on their screen. White appeared on Hahli Inika, so it'll certainly go in the "middle" setting for colors. In the "strict" setting, I think most elements will have a set primary color and a few limited choices for secondaries.

Indeed, I'm thinking that even with "strict" color settings you can still toggle another setting to allow your own character unrestricted colors. That way you can play as any character you like on your screen, while the enemies you face will be properly color coded for your convenience.

In order to make the game playable even for people with crazy colors turned on - and those with colorblindness, of course - I will keep trying to make attacks distinct from each other in shape as well.

I remember you saying something about green rocks? You do know that rocks and dirt and stuff can be pretty much any color, right? In a way, ores are rocks, and copper ore is a teal-ish color. There's also likely tons more of green earth-y objects. Gems might also count as being a rock, and amethyst can be pink, I would assume. Heck, diamonds could be pink. Aquamarine has several different colors.

I am not going to have rocks that look like gemstones, though. If the attack had looked like the crystals we see all over Onu-Koro there wouldn't be a problem, but as it is my attack graphic is a slab of dirt-colored rock. Blending it with any other color doesn't look right.

Anyway, if Toa of Water can control almost any liquid, couldn't they control, for example oil? Crude oil comes in almost EVERY color known. Crude oil can also be found under oceans, and if a Toa of Water manages to control a lot of water above the oil pocket, it would cause a current upward, possibly dragging sand and loose particles with the water, maybe revealing the oil, and the oil might mingle with the water, causing it to change color. Or I'm just ranting on about impossible stuff.

If it was oil it would also contain other properties than mostly pure water does, and be less transparent. From a gameplay perspective the issue is also that the liquid is not really transparent at this point, and that it will potentially look too similar to the graphics of poison and/or acid.

The visible part of fire emits light and heat, with the wavelength and some other things determining the color. Depending on the temperature of the flame and the material which is being burned, you can create flames of many colors. Copper sulphate, for example, will produce a green flame; while a blowtorch's flame is blue.

Cursed fire being green, blue or violet (essentially any color not covered by regular firewood, actually) is a common sight in fiction, so I'm not sure which type of green fire you are referring to specifically. The Cursed Flame from Terraria is the first that springs to mind at the moment.

I wasn't really thinking about all that at a game perspective. I should probably do that next time :P

The Cursed Flame of Terraria is indeed what I was referencing to.

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

It always crashes on karda nui when using windows 8. No idea why it would do that, but it you set it to compatibility mode with windows 7 it seems to work.

Unfortunately compatibility settings doesn't fix the crash that occurs when many fireballs explode at once, but if it helps with some issues that is great.

Given that the game will be multiplayer, could there be a setting to turn off color-changed elemental effects, such that the people who want to see the different colors may, and the people who prefer the standard effects only may choose not to?

This way, the people who might be confused by all those different colors don't have to deal with processing too much if they don't want to.

Already planned out, so don't worry. :) "Allow non-canon colors" will be a setting for both the character and the element itself. They will be separate, and have three levels: Full restriction to canon, loose with canon (colors can be tweaked, but only to an extent) and completely non-canon (any color goes). There will also be another setting for allowing masks to take a non-standard shape. The settings will be client-side, so that players who want to see crazy colors can do so, while others will have their game auto-adjust colors to fit a "canon" view.

This way, Player A can make her character be a green Toa of Fire who shoots blue fire, while Player B would see a red Toa of Fire who shoots normal, orange fire. Player C could potentially have restricted only the element colors, so that she sees Player A's character as green Toa of Fire, but the fire still appears orange.

In order to make people have some control even when the restrictions apply to their character, I will make character profiles able to save two "sets" - one completely custom, and one with restrictions in place. For example, you might want your Toa of Air to be primarily white and purple, but you would also be fine with it being completely green - you happen to dislike lime. You can then save your white-and-purple color scheme along with the completely green scheme. Having a second color scheme to fall back on prevents "half restriction" views from going directly to the standard green-and-lime color scheme when there's still room from some variation. The element of Fire can have yellow and black as secondary colors, for example; so it's not necessary to force a red Kanohi mask just because the selected blue doesn't work - black could be an acceptable substitute to that player.

This is a great idea! a little confusing at first, but awesome!

20795.jpg

Now that the holiday is over, I just started looking over all the sprite-related stuff I have to do for the new engine. I've mentioned it before, but I might as well say it again: It's quite a bit. Still, even though I at first thought it would require far more work than the previous system, the sprites themselves really don't. Sure, I now plan to tear the sprite limb from limb (unlike previously, where I just split it between body/limbs/head), but when I look at the total amount of sprite layers... the old system actually had more.

coloring_illus.png

Image shows the old way. The new way of doing things (pixel shader! - that's a technical term) will eliminate the need for silly things like "shine layers" - extra layers used solely for getting back the brightness of colors that become muddled during the current color blending method - and I no longer have to separate sprites based on what color they should be blended as. The pixel shader can shift multiple colors per sprite without any trouble that I know of.

Where I'm getting with this: With the shader shifting colors on the sprite based on hue, I can allow myself to add far more customization in the color department. I imagine that some people would want Takanuva to follow his actual color scheme of being fully white even in the joints - which my game currently forces to be black. Other possibilities are to now allow two-colored Kanohi, without adding any extra sprite split-up work.

The only downside? I'd still need to recolor the base sprites to have the different parts distinct. The shader would grab all the red on Tahu Mata at once, for example. Therefore I need to turn the sprites into a rainbow, if I want to make it work with many different color areas. Therefore I will use the sprites I have currently with some minor modifications when it comes to mask coloring; and then just replace them with ones that have more separate colors later, when the more important stuff is done.

Another upside to the whole sprite stack thing is that now I no longer need separate sprites for every action the user can take, and armor only needs to be fitted to the torso's pose. So JacobLaser: The sprites you've sent me already are pretty much good to go. I don't actually need any poses with limbs anymore, so long as the basic torso angles are there.

The downside is that I have to re-do all my positioning data, but at least it will be more dynamic in the end. I envy the 3D programmers, who have a far easier time with their bone-based animations; and who usually use programs where things like this has an established system already. :D

I have also written down some ideas for how I'm going to rework Fire to function in the new system. Not much is changing, but I've had to determine how the new character customization should affect the ability. Yay for planning stuff out in advance! I imagine that every power will need (roughly) the same amount of points to be invested in order to max it out. At the moment we have a sliding scale of plus or minus 2 points for basic magnitude (damage) and then more specific upgrades distributed around 4 or 5 other points. Examples:

FIRE

Fire basics: Can shoot a stream of flame, or toss an explosive fireball. Fireball can be charged for slightly increased damage (but also energy consumption) by keeping the button held down for a few seconds. Targets will no longer burn the moment they are hit with flame - they must first reach a certain amount of heat.

fire_bar_powerboost.png

Power Plus (+2 or -2 points) Generic power boost perk available to all main elements/powers. In this case: affects the damage of all Fire abilities.

fire_icon_massiveexplosion.pngMassive Explosion (1 point) Increased Fireball explosion radius.

fire_icon_intenseflame.pngIntense Flame (1 point) More heat on attacks and longer afterburn effect.

fire_icon_inferno.pngInferno (1 point) Allow Flamethrower to pass through targets more effectively. (Getting closer to the old "crowd burn" effect Fire originally had.)

fire_icon_firestorm.pngFire Storm (1 point) Replaces basic fireball with a weaker, rapid-fire version. -50% fireball damage, blast radius, heat value and firing delay. Charge ability replaced with continuous fireball assault.

And another visual mock-up:

lightning_selection_mockup.png

The size of the icons may change (the power bar might be a bit small at the moment), but icons will pretty much replace the current stat block. I will be publishing abilities here and/or in blog posts as I plan out their revisions, so that you can comment on them and possibly help me with the design for certain icons. :)

Edited by Katuko

A powerful water jet could be a potential upgrade from a regular water spray, yes. I've been writing up some minor changes for Ice and Teleportation mechanics in the new engine, by the way. I'll post them later.

EDIT:

Here are some more perk icons.

ice_icon_deepfreeze.pngDeep Freeze (1 point): Makes targets stay chilled and frozen for longer before their temperature normalizes. In effect, you can afford to be a bit more defensive and still have time to freeze enemies solid with well-placed ice attacks.
ice_icon_iciclehail.pngIcicle Hail (1 point): Replaces the ability to emanate cold with the ability to create falling icicles. Worse at affecting enemies in armor, but better at circumventing an enemy's attempt to block.

light_icon_flarething.png Undecided Light ability. Related to the flare attack, but exact effects are yet to be determined.

magnetism_icon_vortex.png Some sort of ability for Magnetism. Will be used for a perk that affects either the magnetic wave or the absorb ability, I imagine.

posion_icon_liquidthing.png Liquid poison. Will possibly be used for the perk that grants extra corrosion effects.

weapon_icon_powercharge.png An icon related to using special weapon powers.

The following icons were used on character cards I made for the Island Liberation Front in the BZPRPG, but I'm thinking of re-using them on the menu screen somewhere.
elemental_icons_wip.png

Examples of character cards:
madrihk_v9.png. kauma_v1.png. destian_v1.png

Madrihk is my character. Kauma belongs to Wotsiznaim. Destian belongs to The Otter, aka Kal Grochi. Sprite customization done by me from Rayg base sprites, based on character descriptions. I'm thinking of adding a button to export a similar character card (or at least their sprite form) from the character creation menu. Could be fun to have a gallery of sorts of the player base's main characters.

And before you ask: Yes, I do plan to include those weapons in the game as well. ;) Would be a shame not to use the sprites once made, after all. I haven't posted the gauntlet in this topic before because I didn't know how it could fit, but I realize it could easily be used as a claw-style weapon.

rayg_claw_gauntlet.png

Other, more boring sprite-related news: I'm slicing up Toa sprites and making new coordinate tables now. I'm working on the basic torse/leg connection point, and after that I will have to start listing up shoulders, hands and faces. Any point where an item can attach needs such a table of coordinates. Once that (incredibly) boring work is done, I can start putting the pieces together in a new animation system. Once that is done, I can start mapping weapons and powers to these new animations, which will then (hopefully) look a lot better than the current lack of animation does. I can then set to work on mechanics etc.

Saying this to inform you that while the new engine is still far off, it is now actually being worked on.

shader_workings.png

Still trying to decide exactly how I should handle color blending with shaders. Either way will be better than the current method, but in terms of complexity there's still some stuff to think about. For example: a 1:1 color swap will give me full control, and allow me to make color palettes that are more detailed. On the other hand, a simple hue shift will make the script a bit faster, less convoluted, and possibly allow for some other "shift" effects.

Edited by Katuko

Yup, all the basic swords and stuff I've made - along with many more or less custom weapons - can be added as weapons with the new system I imagine. In my current game engine every weapon needs a separate entry in the code, making new weapons cumbersome to add. I plan to replace it with a script where I define weapon types but not specifics, so that instead of having to make "fire sword" and "ice sword" be entirely different things I can just have the player equip "sword" and then vary the graphics and finer details of it.

Below is a preliminary list of perk types, by the way, to help describe how the new character creation might be listed up. Perks are meant to replace stat points, so that instead of increasing the Element stat to gain more damage, better effects, more energy points and faster recharge; these things are split into separate icons of sorts. You can therefore apply 1 point to Elemental Damage, for example, and another point in Fast Recharge. Or, you can choose to put a point into Fast Recharge, but spend your other point on Improved Blocking or something like that. Having each point mean something more than just a tiny boost helps lessen the problem where some stats are too useful. For example, having 3 points in ELM is not all that different from having 4 points, because the bonuses per stat per point are very minor. If you want to gain extra energy that actually means something, you currently have to invest several points at once.

With perks, you can instead spend that 1 point on energy recharge, and it will have a real effect on your character. Boosting recharge will not suddenly turn you into a god of damage, though, that would cost a second point in a different perk. Before we would have this kind of setup:

- Character with low ELM stat = bad damage and bad energy pool.

- Character with high ELM stat = good damage and good energy pool.

It's very much an "either or" situation, where you cannot have a character that deals good damage in short bursts, or has little effect but can keep doing his thing for a long time. It's either "very good with element" or "very bad with element". Same goes for melee, movement, etc. You're either good at everything or bad at everything related to a certain stat. Before I buffed melee damage STR was determined to be useless, and the same almost happened to VIT too until I gave it more extra HP per point. In fact, VIT is one of the best stats, because each point gives a flat increase or decrease in HP and nothing else. You know exactly what you're getting, and it does not affect any other aspects of your character (apart from Rahkshi levels, those are unbalanced too).

Stat effects have now been mostly isolated from each other and put into new perks. The exact number of points you get to spend will have to be balanced out as we go (in fact, it will likely be a variable setting, at least for single player games) but it will be enough to "fully" specialize in a certain type of character if you wish. For example, enough points to specialize in both melee weapons and using shields, but maybe not enough to completely max out damage boosts or weapon types for melee.

Please note that this list is by no means finished. Also note that this list assumes that a player can carry whatever gear they want without having to spend points on them, with appropriate balance measures stemming from that fact. For example, carrying two melee weapons lets you attack more quickly (possibly with two different special weapon effects) but at slightly reduced damage. Carrying a shield allows you to block very effectively, but reduces max movement speed due to the weight. Different weapons have different attack animations, such as an axe using an arcing strike and a knife being used for stabbing.

On this list, each entry would be contained in its own perk/skill. Most perks are unnamed, not all effects are even certain to be like this once actually in-game. Feel free to comment and suggest changes/additions; though note that certain things will have to stay unique to powers and elements. For example, there should probably not be a perk that adds resistance to status effects or temperature changes, as that is the schtick of Adaptation and passive bonuses for elements like Fire and Ice.

Melee weapons

melee_header.png

• Generic melee damage boost stat. (Can be adjusted + or - 2 points).
  • Dual-wielding applies no penalties to damage or force.
  • Greatly improved range with a thrown weapon, plus a small damage bonus.
  • Can melee attack without having to slow down.
  • 50% extra force on each melee strike, 25% slower attack speed.
  • On special swings (press a direction while attacking, or maybe hold the button to "charge up"): Power strike that has double damage and force, but swings slower.
  • Every melee strike deals extra damage to enemy equipment.
Projectile weapons

projectile_header.png

• Generic damage boost stat for projectile weapons. (Can be adjusted + or - 2 points).
  • Reduced reload speed and/or cooldown between shots.
  • Can enter and exit aim mode much quicker.
  • Reduced/removed movement speed penalty while aiming.
  • Getting hit no longer affects your aim.
Unarmed/other attacks

rahkshipunch.png

• Generic damage boost stat for unarmed/claw strikes.
  • Increased attack speed and certain special moves with unarmed/claw attacks at the cost of worse performance when carrying other weapon types.
  • On special swings: Can perform a special strike which will disarm the enemy if they are currently using their weapon. (Striking or blocking with the weapon).
  • Can grab and throw an enemy who is not blocking.
Blocking

proto_shield_strip.png

• Faster shield deployment.
  • Carrying a shield no longer affects normal movement speed.
  • Reduce the extra speed penalty applied when blocking.
  • Timing your block perfectly will potentially stagger a melee attacker.
  • Enemies walking too close to your shield can be pushed back.
  • Doubled force resistance while blocking.
  • Blocking can now reduce damage from defense-piercing attacks.
Armor/protection

rahkshi_stand_armor_test.png

• Generic armor effectiveness vs movement penalty adjustment perk. (+ or - 2 points).
  • Reduced penalty to movement and weapon aiming while wearing armor.
  • Can block just as well with a melee weapon as with a shield.
  • Attacks targeted at your armor no longer gains any special benefits because of it.
Stat bars
  • Change the max amount of your health bar. (Can be adjusted several points up or down).
  • Very minor health regeneration after not taking damage for a few seconds.
  • Change the max amount of your elemental energy bar. (Can be adjusted several points up or down).
  • Your elemental energy recharges faster after not being used for a few seconds.
Movement
  • Change the max movement speed of your character.
  • Change the maneuverability of your character in water and in midair. Jump a bit higher.
  • Gain the ability to combat roll on the ground by double-tapping a direction key.
Main (elemental) power

fire_icon_inferno.pngice_icon_deepfreeze.pngposion_icon_liquidthing.pnglight_icon_flarething.png

• Generic perk for changing the base damage and effect potency of your main power. (+2 or -2 points).
  • Specialized perks related to your main power/element. (Ideally 4 points total for each).
  • Elemental effects on weapons require less energy to use.
  • Elemental effects on weapons are much more potent.
Kanohi (and other types of special power) perks
  • Change the base duration (energy usage) of Kanohi powers. (+2 or -2 points).
  • Change the base effect potency of Kanohi powers, or upgrade/specialize the equipped power. (2 points max, can potentially be -2'd as well).
Getting a perk or skill boosts costs 1 point. Certain skills will allow you to impose penalties on yourself in order to gain a point instead. Equipment costs no points, but has their up- and downsides. Weapons are free to use, but obviously bad to lose to corrosion etc. if you happen to meet that kind of enemy. Armor protects you (some different types will be available), but slows you down and makes it hard to jump/swim. Shields protect you much better than standard blocking, but have a minor speed penalty as well.

As an example character, let us use Kopaka. Kopaka would have points invested in shield usage and his element, possibly also improved melee attacks. If we're talking about the Nuva version, he might also have a point in armor and something related to dual-wielding. His weak points would be that he has no proficiency with projectiles (he might even have taken a penalty on them in order to melee/element specialize better). He would also not have anything more than normal movement abilities.

On the other end of the pool, Vakama Metru would be using no armor, and only invest in projectile weapons. He would not have much of an element boost, but he could have taken some Kanohi-related perks and possibly used the Fire Storm skill I mentioned in another post to replace large fireballs with smaller, quicker ones.

My own character Madrihk (from the BZPRPG) would be using melee attacks, blocking with weapons, quick movement and Kanohi perks. He would not be using any armor (or if he did, he'd be making it lighter) or shields, but might spend a point on projectile weapons "just in case".

I think my brain just got pureed from reading all of that! but what i could understand sounds awesome! As for the rest of it i guess I'll just have to wait until the new version comes out so I can experience it.

all that color system stuff totally went over my head XD

btw I'm working on some more weapons. It's gonna take a while because I'm trying to give them a more Bionicle-y look.

20795.jpg

I'm guessing the character files are going to be totally different now right?

As far as voice acting goes, I'm considering trying that. My only current issue is that, while my voice is of a low register, my vocal range is very limited at the moment. So, for now, I will be working on broadening it, then there will be voice clips.

do it! voice acting is fun! i have yet to do it for this game, but maybe I can do some Rahi sound effects.

Edited by JacobLazer

20795.jpg

I think my brain just got pureed from reading all of that! but what i could understand sounds awesome! As for the rest of it i guess I'll just have to wait until the new version comes out so I can experience it.

In short, it looks complex, but that it's actually a simplification of the stats you have to keep track of; also allowing for greater customization.

btw I'm working on some more weapons. It's gonna take a while because I'm trying to give them a more Bionicle-y look.

Sounds good. :)

As far as voice acting goes, I'm considering trying that. My only current issue is that, while my voice is of a low register, my vocal range is very limited at the moment. So, for now, I will be working on broadening it, then there will be voice clips.

In order to keep the file size down (and the tone of the game roughly the same) I've decided I only really need some grunts and squeals for the playable characters. Typical "Simlish", "Zelda voice", whatever.

Actual voice lines will be reserved for a select few things, such as boss banter. If you can do anything there, that's great, but if you're aiming for an Exo-Toa voice I only need a deep base I can later edit. :P

I'm guessing the character files are going to be totally different now right?

There will need to be some changes, yes. Don't worry, though, it's easy for me to create a conversion feature. I can make the game set the colors and equipment based on your old file, and then ask you to save a new version to be used in the future.

do it! voice acting is fun! i have yet to do it for this game, but maybe I can do some Rahi sound effects.

I've been trying to find some decent Rahkshi noises, but there's only one or two in the entirety of Mask of Light, and they are muddled with background music anyways. Does anyone know similar noises they may have used for editing into a Rahkshy cry?

In order to keep the file size down (and the tone of the game roughly the same) I've decided I only really need some grunts and squeals for the playable characters. Typical "Simlish", "Zelda voice", whatever.

Actual voice lines will be reserved for a select few things, such as boss banter. If you can do anything there, that's great, but if you're aiming for an Exo-Toa voice I only need a deep base I can later edit. :P

Yeah that was what I was thinking. I downloaded the doc you posted on google drive, and intend to try out all of those.

I've been trying to find some decent Rahkshi noises, but there's only one or two in the entirety of Mask of Light, and they are muddled with background music anyways. Does anyone know similar noises they may have used for editing into a Rahkshy cry?

You could probably just edit some hissing sounds, I reckon. It should be noted that Level 7 kraata are capable of matoran speech.

Edited by Makuta Malignus

bBhcfWO.png

I don't know why, but I seem good at making animal noises. Want to me to give the Rahkshi sounds a try? I might not be able to record the sound, though. I'm not sure.

I can also do a pretty good parrot sound. And overall daytime ambiance animal noises.

Here ya go :) courtesy of yours truly! I added a few bonus sounds, just in case you need 'em for anything! I can do more if you'd like

You could probably just edit some hissing sounds, I reckon. It should be noted that Level 7 kraata are capable of matoran speech.

WHAAAAAAT?

20795.jpg

I don't know why, but I seem good at making animal noises. Want to me to give the Rahkshi sounds a try? I might not be able to record the sound, though. I'm not sure.

I can also do a pretty good parrot sound. And overall daytime ambiance animal noises.

I your computer doesn't have any sound recording program already installed (most do), then there's always Audacity. It's simple to use and completely free. It's available on Sourceforge.net for Windows, Mac and Linux: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

Note that due to licensing issues with the format you'll have to download a separate plugin pack of sorts in order to export to MP3. Most sound effects are best saved as *.WAV (uncompressed) or *.ogg (compressed) nowadays, though.

Here ya go :) courtesy of yours truly! I added a few bonus sounds, just in case you need 'em for anything! I can do more if you'd like

Thanks, those are pretty good. :) I might do some editing to add a few effects, but the sounds are very nice to use as a base.

WHAAAAAAT?

It was mentioned way back when the Rahkshi were revealed that Shadow Kraata were intelligent enough to speak Matoran properly, but we never saw more than one such Kraata in the story. It showed up briefly in one of the post-MoL comics, but was easily subdued by the Toa before it could even speak a word. The focus was more on its ability to spread infection from a distance.

Do you need a maniacal laugh?, I'm great at that one :P

Sounds like an "enemy killed" voice response to me; or possibly "Overcharge obtained". :lol: But sure, record that and maybe some basic noises, and you'll likely soon be credited as one of the optional voices for characters.

Wow. I really like the ideas so far with this game. Keep it going. Hopefully we get an update here in late January or early February.

It's already late January, so the new engine has no chance of being out so soon. I can still do some tweaks on the old engine and update that, though, I just have to find my own trail again. :) Edited by Katuko

I guess I'll try to make some sounds. You might hear my computer's fan in the background, but it's pretty faint.

Edit: Here are 5 sounds I quickly recorded.

Edited by Flamewing Studios

Today I finally got persuaded into working on the old engine a bit. Touched up a Psionic shield ability and added Toa of Iron secondary: an armor-shredding saw blade that flies somewhat like the cross boomerang in Castlevania.

You might be getting an update soon after all.

Today I finally got persuaded into working on the old engine a bit. Touched up a Psionic shield ability and added Toa of Iron secondary: an armor-shredding saw blade that flies somewhat like the cross boomerang in Castlevania.

You might be getting an update soon after all.

Yay! :) can you try to get in some Plant Life abilities?

20795.jpg

I was going to add a vine attack that I have made some graphics for in the past, but then I recalled that its mechanics will be better integrated with the new engine. I might add the secondary attack in some form (a ground-based growth that tangles enemies) but we'll see.

I was going to add a vine attack that I have made some graphics for in the past, but then I recalled that its mechanics will be better integrated with the new engine. I might add the secondary attack in some form (a ground-based growth that tangles enemies) but we'll see.

It appears that you have totally owned the Bohrok-Kal. That probably took a while.

That sounds pretty good. I look forward to seeing it in the new engine.

It appears that you have totally owned the Bohrok-Kal. That probably took a while.

Not really relevant, but congratulations to Katuko.

bBhcfWO.png

Thanks, I'll be using those. In the meantime, I spent a few minutes today on adding missing mask styles from sprites I had at hand. They are:

- Jutlin: Antroz pilot version.

- Kaukau: Used a Faxon sprite here.

- Light-drained Avohkii (enlarged Takanuva).

- Flipped Krahkaan (Makuta's look).

- Felnas with shortened spikes.

- Miru: Lewa Phantoka version.

I'll be color-converting and adding the scope-less versions of masks that you've sent me, JacobLaser, so they'll likely be in-game upon next release. I might edit the mouth of that Akaku before it goes in the new engine, but since the current one does haven't masks rotating anyways it's fine for now. New weapons will still have to wait, unfortunately.

Quick notice about the Miru's power: I just realized that the old mask power version - where you simply hold the Mask key to turn off gravity - still works fine. This means that while pressing and holding Jump will gradually slow you down, pressing and holding Mask will not. If you use only the Mask key, you can jump forever at full speed, and control your decent speed a lot better because it will simply freeze at whatever it is when you press the button.

This is a lot like what the Miru will feel like in the update engine, though it will most likely have a lower max float speed. The Kadin will have directional control, higher speed... and be unable to stop. I am uncertain of how to balance the Kadin vs the Kakama in terms of utility, but since the Kadin will be harder to stop that is probably be the best balancing factor right there.

I believe Takua was counted as an anomaly, even amongst Matoran who usually wore painted masks anyways. So no, blue won't be a part of the "official" color palette for Fire unless someone can confirm it to be so.

fire can be blue, its unusual among Ta-Matoran, but it's not unheard of,

20795.jpg

fire can be blue, its unusual among Ta-Matoran, but it's not unheard of,

Nowhere is it stated, however, that ta-matoran can be blue. Takua is an exception because he is an av-matoran, and even then, the blue pakari is just an anomaly.

bBhcfWO.png

Eh, I'll just leave it as "semi-canon" palette or something. Takua is the only Ta-Matoran with blue parts that I can recall too. The rest were all red, orange, yellow and/or black. The color options settings will hopefully allow each player to allow/restrict color palettes to their liking, so that I won't have to deal with any complaints. :P

EDIT: I have too much fun with sprites nowadays. I was going to split up Toa Metru sprites for use in my game, but after working on Kanohi sprites again I just ended up with this:

katuko_olmak_animation.gif

Yay for animation!

Edited by Katuko