Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

Super-hard challenge: try and beat every map with a boss in order without ever dying.  Even I can only beat the levels individually -- it takes me a few tries; each time I die, I restart.  Also, a thought for the next map: a jungle (Le-Koro, Voya Nui, Bota Magna...)

Easy solution: Be a Rahkshi of hunger.

Or a toa with a Pakari and a Quake Breaker.

Rahkshi of Camouflage with maxed-out Strength and Earth Claws is another good one, at least while we're still only dealing with 'bots.

• Upvote 2

Super-hard challenge: try and beat every map with a boss in order without ever dying.  Even I can only beat the levels individually -- it takes me a few tries; each time I die, I restart.  Also, a thought for the next map: a jungle (Le-Koro, Voya Nui, Bota Magna...)

Easy solution: Be a Rahkshi of hunger.

Or a toa with a Pakari and a Quake Breaker.

And then be murdered by a Rahkshi of hunger.

• Upvote 1

:a: :r: :z: :a: :k: :i:

I got Monster Hunter World on PS4, add me at bmrjw2 if you want

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

This game is awesome! I have a lot of fun playing it! Thanks Katuko!

Oh, and to make this comment useful, I'll pass on a little bug I found.  :)

When your toa is wearing a kanohi Huna and turns invisible, and then walks over to a miru and replaces their mask with that one, they stay invisible but also have the flight powers of the miru! I didn't test it with other masks but it might be the same case. The invisibility doesn't take any energy away from your character, so you're pretty unstoppable to everyone except toa wearing the Rode. It's kinda OP, I once got a hundred kills with that technique, and 0 deaths. I would've gotten more but being OP is pretty boring.  :P

Oh, and to make this comment useful, I'll pass on a little bug I found.  :)

When your toa is wearing a kanohi Huna and turns invisible, and then walks over to a miru and replaces their mask with that one, they stay invisible but also have the flight powers of the miru! I didn't test it with other masks but it might be the same case. The invisibility doesn't take any energy away from your character, so you're pretty unstoppable to everyone except toa wearing the Rode. It's kinda OP, I once got a hundred kills with that technique, and 0 deaths. I would've gotten more but being OP is pretty boring.  :P

We've known about that one for awhile actually. You'll be hard pressed to find a glitch we don't know about actually.

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

The most broken powers in this game are indeed Hunger and invisibility. They even beat the crazy powerful Disintegration beams, because they outright keep you from dying at all.

Always happy to hear that people have fun with the stuff I make. :)

When your toa is wearing a kanohi Huna and turns invisible, and then walks over to a miru and replaces their mask with that one, they stay invisible but also have the flight powers of the miru! I didn't test it with other masks but it might be the same case. The invisibility doesn't take any energy away from your character, so you're pretty unstoppable to everyone except toa wearing the Rode. It's kinda OP, I once got a hundred kills with that technique, and 0 deaths. I would've gotten more but being OP is pretty boring. :P

That glitch works for the following reason: There is a single large script that controls the on/off toggle of every Kanohi mask power. It checks the ID of the mask you are currently wearing, and then performs actions based on that. It will automatically turn off your mask if you are no longer wearing it, or if your energy runs out. In order to save some processing power, though, the script will end itself after it has reached the ID of your mask. This means that if there is a mask further down on the list, it won't be affected. For this reason you can wear a mask with a high ID number, then switch to mask with a low ID number, and the "shut off" command will never run for the higher ID because the script quits when reaching the lower ID.

Long story short: If you want to use multiple powers, equip a mask with a high ID number, activate it, then switch to one with a lower ID. Conveniently enough for you, the masks are listed based on ID number on the character creation screen, so you can just start at the bottom of the list and work upwards. You can not keep the effect masks with triggered effects (such as the Avohkii's light burst) because they check for ID per key press and not as a passive effect.

We've known about that one for awhile actually. You'll be hard pressed to find a glitch we don't know about actually.

Oh, I'm sure there are still plenty behind the scenes. :P

Status update: I've moved into the student apartment where will be my main staying place for at least a year. I'll work on the game when I can, but I'll of course need to take some time to get into the new groove here. :)

Double-post here so that this doesn't pass silently by and die.

It's way past my estimate for release, and I can tell that I won't have all that much time next week. For that reason I am skipping the wave fight mode I hoped to add, and I am skipping on polishing the boss any more for now. This means that what you will get is not exactly how I envisioned it, but it's a good start. In my rush to release this I probably forgot something vital again, but we'll see. I've started to loathe releasing new versions. :lol:

In any case, here is BIONICLE Fighter version a16.0 for you.

>> Download from Dropbox (68.46 MB) <<

New in version 16.0:

- New map: Kini-Nui and Mangaia combined.

- New boss fight: Makuta Teridax. Found in the Mangaia portion of the joint map.

- Boss fight with Rahkshi moved from Kini-Nui to joint map. Defeating them opens the way into Mangaia.

- Boss fight with Toa Mata moved from Ta-Koro to Kini-Nui.

- New Rahi enemy: Nui-Jaga. A few of them appear in Onu-Koro.

Bug fixes and engine tweaks:

- Made bots use the new Plant Life secondary attack.

Edited by -Windrider-
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Double-post here so that this doesn't pass silently by and die.

It's way past my estimate for release, and I can tell that I won't have all that much time next week. For that reason I am skipping the wave fight mode I hoped to add, and I am skipping on polishing the boss any more for now. This means that what you will get is not exactly how I envisioned it, but it's a good start. In my rush to release this I probably forgot something vital again, but we'll see. I've started to loathe releasing new versions. :lol:

In any case, here is BIONICLE Fighter version a16.0 for you.

>> Download from Dropbox (68.46 MB) <<

New in version 16.0:

- New map: Kini-Nui and Mangaia combined.

- New boss fight: Makuta Teridax. Found in the Mangaia portion of the joint map.

- Boss fight with Rahkshi moved from Kini-Nui to joint map. Defeating them opens the way into Mangaia.

- Boss fight with Toa Mata moved from Ta-Koro to Kini-Nui.

- New Rahi enemy: Nui-Jaga. A few of them appear in Onu-Koro.

Bug fixes and engine tweaks:

- Made bots use the new Plant Life secondary attack.

Playtesting now...

bBhcfWO.png

Stupid thing I did forget to mention anywhere:

Makuta's first form can be targeted directly if you hit the swirly glowing part (need flight) or with melee attacks from the ground. You will see your target turn red when you deal damage. For the sake of my sanity (and to prevent the game from lagging) every melee attack has the exact same damage and effect. Just keep hitting tentacles and you will win.

Makuta's second form does not react to special status effects like fire, ice or poison. These attacks do slight extra direct damage instead. Makuta should react to every offensive power, but I might have missed some. Please report to me if you find one that passes through. Haha, who am I kidding, you'd complain about that even if I didn't say anything. :P

Edited by Katuko

The Nui-Jaga do not seem able to cross ledges.

Makuta in his winged form sometimes gets stuck in the gravity lift.

Damaging his vortex form is ridiculously difficult, because he doesn't move. Only flying characters and teleporters seem to be able to reach him, as only his core seems to take damage.I haven't been able to dent him by attacking his tentacles.

There is no way out of Mangaia after entering, as the grav lift actually pushes down on flying characters.

Makuta spams the shadow hand attack

Winged titan Makuta occasionally stops acting.

Kurahk's name is misspelled.

I will continue playtesting to see how he reacts to various other types of opponents.

Edited by Makuta Luroka

bBhcfWO.png

Most of this update was rushed. Sorry about the plethora of problems. :)

- Nui-Jaga are indeed unable to cross ledges.

- You must use melee attacks to hit the tentacles. I tried adding all th eother powers to the collision check, but for every attack the workload increased. The new engine will fix this, but the old one is too much of a mess.

- Mangaia... well, it was supposed to have a proper exit, then the rushing started. Makuta is maybe half done based on my actual planning document. He's supposed to have more abilities, such as a different attack at close range. Right now close range actually triggers Shadow Hand as a placeholder, it's only supposed to come out on low-HP targets.

- Blargh spellings.

The Toa Mata are not at Kini-Nui

Makuta seems to ignore bots

He takes damage when he fires gravity blasts

His chain lightning blasts are aimed a bit too low.

He seems to be rather passive in his winged titan form, and rarely moves.

observation: the rahkshi bosses do not target him at all. Working on interaction with other bosses

Also, the Mahiki is by far the best mask now

Edited by Makuta Luroka

bBhcfWO.png

The Toa Mata are not at Kini-Nui

Darn it. I swear they were present earlier, I must have accidentally removed the line of code which places their spawner.

He will target players and bots alike, but once he targets someone he will keep targeting them until they die or go too far away. Other bosses instantly lock on to anything that gets close, but Makuta is a bit smarter than that.

Faulty variables; I'll fix them.

He's currently lacking some moves that would make him appear more dangerous.

observation: the rahkshi bosses do not target him at all.

This is because Makuta is set to the same team as them. Transforming yourself into Makuta with the Mahiki fails to change the Makuta object's team to match the player's "no team" setting.

Also, the Mahiki is by far the best mask now

For the record, here are the chances for each creature you can turn into:

Nui-Rama 30%

Nui-Jaga 30%

Exo-Toa 20%

Exo-Pyro 10%

Makuta 10%

Faulty variables; I'll fix them.

It appears that most of his blasts are aimed a bit low.

He will target players and bots alike, but once he targets someone he will keep targeting them until they die or go too far away. Other bosses instantly lock on to anything that gets close, but Makuta is a bit smarter than that.

He's currently lacking some moves that would make him appear more dangerous.

After a bit more playtesting, it appears he occasionally stops doing anything and just sits there.

I'm pretty sure this is the only reason Vorahk with quake breaker can kill him without dying. Yes, Vorahk with quake breaker can kill him without dying! (regular Vorahk gets him down to almost dead, then Makuta smashes him into the ceiling)

bBhcfWO.png

If the boss fights in my game were actually based on skill and not throwing high numbers around, "kill him without dying" would hopefully be the baseline after a few tries. Now it's more luck in some fights (unless you manage to predict when attacks are coming, they are usually on a timer).

16.0?  :drool:

On a side topic: what are the minimum system requirements? My computers screen card got trashed and I'm stuck with the spare one it had inside (Intel HD graphics) It doesn't seem to be strong enough for this game.

Edited by Toa Aeron

Just because you're trash doesn't mean you can't do great things.

It's called garbage can, not garbage cannot!

On a side topic: what are the minimum system requirements? My computers screen card got trashed and I'm stuck with the spare one it had inside (Intel HD graphics) It doesn't seem to be strong enough for this game.

I estimate it to be at least 1 GB RAM and 1 GHz CPU, but it's hard to say. I haven't really done any benchmarking, and the game is old and badly optimized. In-game it probably drains more resources.

I estimate it to be at least 1 GB RAM and 1 GHz CPU, but it's hard to say. I haven't really done any benchmarking, and the game is old and badly optimized. In-game it probably drains more resources.

Such small game and you need a strong PC for it... ok. Does the new engine work better? What are it's benefefits?

Edited by Toa Aeron

So, my few thoughts on the newest update (v.16.0):

• As you noted, quite a few things less-than-optimal. The Toa Mata don't spawn, the second stage of the Makuta boss battle definitely needs work, the 'no return' gravity chute from Kini-Nui is annoying, etcetera. But you already knew all that to start with, or have had it subsequently pointed out to you, so I won't rub it in. :P
  • The scorpions (Nui-Jaga, right?) are great fun... in the Onu-Koro level, do they respawn? It doesn't seem like they do, but I haven't spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.
  • Makuta's first form (tentacles) is just plain epic. Love it. Really brings back the old school feeling of MNOLG.
  • Huzzah for elementally-capable Toa of Plantlife!
  • Kanohi Mahiki is exceedingly useful. For strictly scientific purposes, of course. *puts on eye protection*

That's all. Keep up the great work; I'm looking forward to horde mode! :D

@Aeron: If your PC isn't up-to-par, try disabling all of the game's 'display damage' options. That seems to help quite a bit, or at least it does on my younger brother's severely outdated and underpowered Windows XP desktop.

So, my few thoughts on the newest update (v.16.0):

• As you noted, quite a few things less-than-optimal. The Toa Mata don't spawn, the second stage of the Makuta boss battle definitely needs work, the 'no return' gravity chute from Kini-Nui is annoying, etcetera. But you already knew all that to start with, or have had it subsequently pointed out to you, so I won't rub it in. :P
  • The scorpions (Nui-Jaga, right?) are great fun... in the Onu-Koro level, do they respawn? It doesn't seem like they do, but I haven't spent a lot of time trying to figure it out.
  • Makuta's first form (tentacles) is just plain epic. Love it. Really brings back the old school feeling of MNOLG.
  • Huzzah for elementally-capable Toa of Plantlife!
  • Kanohi Mahiki is exceedingly useful. For strictly scientific purposes, of course. *puts on eye protection*

That's all. Keep up the great work; I'm looking forward to horde mode! :D

@Aeron: If your PC isn't up-to-par, try disabling all of the game's 'display damage' options. That seems to help quite a bit, or at least it does on my younger brother's severely outdated and underpowered Windows XP desktop.

It doesn't matter I'm going to get a new screen card anyway (my primary screen card is trashed and I'm stuck with a screen card so bad that if I tried to describe it the whole thing would be written in hashtags [cuz that's how BZP censores bad words and such...])

Does the new engine work better? What are it's benefefits?

Yes, it will. I haven't spent too much time on it yet, though, so I've got nothing to show you guys.

The main benefit will be that it is written by someone who now has a few years of experience with how things should not be done.

Even though I won't be able to play the game, (Cuz im on Mac) this looks really cool! 

Defenestrate your Mac.

• Upvote 1

Also I play FFXIV, my main is Anastasia Willow on Exodus but I've got characters on every NA datacenter.

• 2 weeks later...

It still looks good, though. 

Anyway... I've downloaded 16.0! I must say, the Makuta sprite is definitely well made, and the Nui-Jaga certainly pop out at you suddenly in Onu-Koro. A few things to mention: First off, I'll complain about the one-way gravity well in Mangaia like everybody else. Secondly, I'll complain about how Makuta can kind of get stuck in phase 2: he moves from his spawn point, and then does nothing until he's killed. Third, I'll say that the OP item which spawns after Makuta is killed is way too high above the ground. My Toa of Shadow can't get it without a Toa of Air's help or a Miru. And fourth, the Rahkshi have atendency to get stuck at the edge of the Kini-Nui map. Apart from these flaws, this is still a great update, and the game itself is far better than anything Lego did! (Apart from the MNOG)

VBWj75sh.png

Bizarre.  I played the Mangaia map, defeated Makuta, and then flew back out to Kini-Nui just fine(and proceeded to die by flying off the edge of the map).  Does the one-way gravity well only work until you defeat Makuta, or am I just magic?

Actually, if it only prevents escape until you defeat Makuta, you can say Makuta's trapping you in his lair.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

The gravity well is only set to slow you if you are moving downwards. It also sets your personal gravity to a low level for a few seconds, to prevent people from dying to fall damage. it appears to mess with flight powers (which work by temporarily setting personal gravity to 0) by making gravity have a positive value again. I intended it to take the minimum value - either your current gravity, or the gravity well's - but I've messed up there as well.

Discovered something: the teleporter only inhibits flight if you fly crooked.  You can escape if you fly straight up after entering the gravity well.

On 9/29/2014, Greg Farshtey said:

"Just wanted to say a quick something --

A lot of you guys are BIONICLE fans, many from way back. It's no secret that you are some of the smartest, most loyal, and most dedicated fans out there. You, and you alone, have carried the torch for the line over the last four years. Hopefully, you will feel rewarded for your efforts by 2015 BIONICLE.

Regardless, I wanted to take this opportunity to say that I am really proud to be associated with you, and you should be really proud of yourselves"

Ordinarily, I don't do quotes, but this is special.

Fire Ice Water Stone Earth Air... I mean Jungle.

Bionicle: The Legacy Hero An attempt to put some magic back into Bionicle.

Maybe you could add a teleporter inside Mangaia, like the ones in Karda Nui? Then you could go in via the gravity well, and then teleport out. Or would a one-way teleport be too hard? I've never tried making a game myself before, so I have no idea how complex the coding was for the KN teleporters.

Teleportation is actually much simpler than regular movement, because you don't have to think of all the stuff that happens in-between. No gradual motion, no animation, no slowing down at the end. Just a plain manipulation of the coordinates: x = whatever, y = whatever. Play a sound effect. Done. :)

I was going to add a pillar of light after Makuta is defeated, so that you can warp up to the surface again. Time constraints made me skip it, and I haven't gotten around to uploading a new version yet. I have taken notes of the things you guys have mentioned already, and will be fixing them soon-ish.

Discovered something: the teleporter only inhibits flight if you fly crooked.  You can escape if you fly straight up after entering the gravity well.

That is even weirder, considering that code-wise there is no difference between flying straight or at an angle - the vertical speed should be the same.

Actually, it simply depends on the vertical speed at which you enter the gravity well. If you are flying upwards at a sufficient speed, you can travel up through the gravity well.

bBhcfWO.png

Here's a new sprite I made, the Ta-Koro Guard shield:

takoro_shield_rayg_spin.gif

I was more satisfied with the Rhotuka Shield I made, but I guess that's because this one is just round and not very complex.

Oooh, very nice. I always was fond of the Ta-Koro Guard equipment. Yes, it's simpler than the Rhotuka Shield, but it's just as appealing, in its own special old-school kind of way.

Edited by Shadowhawk

I was more satisfied with the Rhotuka Shield I made, but I guess that's because this one is just round and not very complex.

I'm tempted to sprite a shield from a Zelda game or something, just so I can look super awesome in-game.

I feel like I should be able to see the handle in the side view, but other than that this looks pretty nice!

20795.jpg