Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

Well, they're not necessarily bad, and they could be made to fit. However, they need to be seen in a priority list.1)finish Toa/rahkshi elemental powers2)finish melee/projectile weapons3)finish multiplayer4)possibly implement other species like Skakdi5)possibly implement a story/campaign modeYou see, only the first three on that list are certainly going to be in the game. The other two are sugestions that Katuko hasn't said a definite yes or no to. You must not forget how massive this project is. However, when he is finished with Toa, Rahkshi, melee, and multiplayer, it will be awe inspiring. If he adds Bohrok and skakdi, this thing will be the best fan made game ever.

Yeah, like I said, can't wait until multiplayer is implemented. When it is, I'm gonna try to play as much as I can.

My name was Z, Got wounded, put my mind in a Vahki and switched my name to Reptor, edited my model into a Matoran friendly one, changed my name to Reppy Tor, Got wanted in three cities, Then they said I could be anything I wanted, became a Shape-shifter named Pony Hank. I am Pipped

I remember this! I remember suggesting Story mode, and Vahki! I even remember getting the idea for someone to make a comic.

Story mode and new species require a lot of time to program, but I think Vahki will appear as AI enemies sooner or later, at least. :)

I downloaded the new version and finally beat the fire Exo-Toa (I actually only had to kill one Exo-Toa because the bots took care of the others). Anyway, can't wait for next update, hopefully Multiplayer will come soon.

I might start looking into net programming for real during the holiday. (I said that last year as well, though! :biggrin:)

This is a game. A story mode would be cool. A comic would be neat (I would volunteer here). However, this games' focus is multiplayer combat with BIONICLE powers. Sort of like in Bionifight, we'll be beating the #### out of people, only more realisticly.

I might flesh out the story slightly just to give an excuse for why everyone is beating each others' brains out; like Team Fortress 2 does by saying "these are two companies driven by twin brothers that both want to control the world" with a single contractor between them, and that's why their bases and mercenaries are all alike. So far I've settled on just civil war where no one trusts anyone and that's why Toa fight Toa and Rahkshi no longer care about their Makuta creators anymore.

The bots killed two exo Toa? Cool!

Given that they spawn at random and have no regard for their own life, sooner or later they will kill the Exo-Toa, yeah. :lol:

Anyone having trouble with staying against bots should go god mode and edit their text files. If you open the file "characters" and open yours with a word processor, you can give yourself unlimited stats. Well, 1,000,000 DEX freezes the game...

For the record, 1 million DEX freezes the game because you the game then compensates for higher speed with a lot more collision checks in between your current location and your new location. And as soon as you "jump" a million pixels in one direction, there is then at least a thousand checks happening at once. I find that anything above 50 or 100 DEX becomes unplayable, really.Keep in mind that you won't be able to use "cheat files" once multiplayer is added. I will have checks to make sure that any given character doesn't have more points than they are allowed. I'm debating whether I should make such a character unable to connect at all or if I should simply reset it to base stats when connected.Till then, have fun with your overpowered characters. Try a Toa of Plasma with 50 000 ELM and watch everything dissolve at your hands. Rahkshi don't actually get any benefit from this "overleveling", since they are still capped at Level 5 while Toa just use math to calculate damage values based on stats.

Well, they're not necessarily bad, and they could be made to fit. However, they need to be seen in a priority list.1)finish Toa/rahkshi elemental powers2)finish melee/projectile weapons3)finish multiplayer4)possibly implement other species like Skakdi5)possibly implement a story/campaign modeYou see, only the first three on that list are certainly going to be in the game. The other two are sugestions that Katuko hasn't said a definite yes or no to. You must not forget how massive this project is. However, when he is finished with Toa, Rahkshi, melee, and multiplayer, it will be awe inspiring. If he adds Bohrok and skakdi, this thing will be the best fan made game ever.

Those species I cannot program I will try to add as simple AI enemies. Vahki doesn't need their staff powers, for example, I can just make them run and shoot disks and then at least they're in the game. Story mode seems unlikely in this game; that would most likely be a separate single-player game building on the same engine.

Yeah, like I said, can't wait until multiplayer is implemented. When it is, I'm gonna try to play as much as I can.

I will be done with school the 16th. If I'm not too hooked on Borderlands or Fallout DLC or some other game I haven't played yet (Steam sale, I love you!) I'll most likely be looking into networking. (Finally!) Edited by Katuko

Yeah, I noticed that my 100 ELM Hunger Rahkshi wasn't doing any better than my 5 ELM one...Though I will say that Rahkshi are ridiculously easy to min-max:

• [*]Look at the 2 'benefits from' stats[*]Set those to 10[*]Set the other 3 stats to 5[*]???[*]Profit!

Seriously, though, 10 Str/10 Elm Fragmentation Rahkshi easily kill everything; 10 Str/10 Vit Hunger Rahkshi are practically immortal. The three other stats become practically worthless and not worth having. I'd say a revising of the Rahkshi level system is in order.Also, I've changed my mind on gravity; I don't think it should be nerfed. Basically, what gravity currently does is kill non-flyers. It does this very effectively . . . but that's about all it can do. And considering all Rahkshi, all Toa of Gravity, and any Toa with a Miru can fly, that's over 50% of people who don't need to worry about gravity being modified. And Toa of Gravity just can't deal enough damage to beat a flying opponent in straight-up combat. In fact, I've replaced gravity with fire for my favorite element to play, because Gravity Toa are at a severe disadvantage against over half of the foes.

[No signature until I think of something witty]

In the meantime, why not visit my blog?

Yeah, I noticed that my 100 ELM Hunger Rahkshi wasn't doing any better than my 5 ELM one...

Well, it will have a lot more EP....

Seriously, though, 10 Str/10 Elm Fragmentation Rahkshi easily kill everything;

Fragmentation does need to be nerfed a bit, I agree.

10 Str/10 Vit Hunger Rahkshi are practically immortal.

...Against bots, who aren't very effective with their long range powers. Wait for multiplayer.

The three other stats become practically worthless and not worth having.

Definitely not true. With a really low VIT you would be really easy to kill. With really low DEX you would be too slow to catch anyone. With really low MIND you don't have enough EP to fight many people. With really low ELM your EP recharges very slowly.Note that I didn't mention STR. That's because I think STR really is basically worthless most of the time, except for Rahkshi who benefit from it and people who love melee combat.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Seriously, though, 10 Str/10 Elm Fragmentation Rahkshi easily kill everything; 10 Str/10 Vit Hunger Rahkshi are practically immortal. The three other stats become practically worthless and not worth having. I'd say a revising of the Rahkshi level system is in order.

Whenever you - as a player - meet a Hunger Rahkshi outside of its range... don't you kill it pretty easily? :) I'd say that Level 3 Hunger with extra speed is more dangerous than a Level 5, simply because it can close the distance a lot more quickly. Teleportation benefits from DEX, but teleporting is quick enough that you rather need STR to make up for your lack of attacks.Let's look at the basic Axe (damage 10). With 1 STR, it does 16 damage. With 10 STR, it does 70. Max HP is 300 (5 hits needed). With maxed damage resistance, you can survive around 11 or 12 hits before you die after it wears down.Once shields are functional they should allow you to weather projectile attacks (though not as well as a Hau) and then dish out some melee smack-down. Strength could then also dictate how effectively you can resist knockback while shielding.

Also, I've changed my mind on gravity; I don't think it should be nerfed. Basically, what gravity currently does is kill non-flyers. It does this very effectively . . . but that's about all it can do. And considering all Rahkshi, all Toa of Gravity, and any Toa with a Miru can fly, that's over 50% of people who don't need to worry about gravity being modified. And Toa of Gravity just can't deal enough damage to beat a flying opponent in straight-up combat. In fact, I've replaced gravity with fire for my favorite element to play, because Gravity Toa are at a severe disadvantage against over half of the foes.

Gravity was supposed to actually pull you down slowly as well, but the current flight script cancels all vertical movement, so that went out the window. I'm looking to make Gravity burst-fire, that will also allow me to boost its direct attack power and let it "push" people more violently when it actually hits.

Note that I didn't mention STR. That's because I think STR really is basically worthless most of the time, except for Rahkshi who benefit from it and people who love melee combat.

10 STR, 10 VIT, Nuva Armor and Earth Claws/Quake Breaker. :PAlmost 900 damage per second, if my calculations are correct. :D Edited by Katuko

Hey Katuko, I think gravity is fine as is. As someone above me said, it's not so great unless you're fighting a non-flyer. all rahkshi fly, so that's about %50 of the people that a Toa of Gravity is ineffective against. If you make it harder to hit, then you'd better make it pretty strong, because no one's going to sit around and let themselves be hit. It'll be harder to hit against people that can mostly dodge very well. Therefore, gravity needs more strength. If it is changed from a stream attack.Does any of the armor give offensive bonuses? That'd be really cool if it did...

Edited by kanohi_master

Armor will be purely defensive, as weapons already give you special stat boosts. I was thinking that Nuva Armor would be the go-to for physical defense (50%), while Elemental Armor could decrease all damage by about 25 to 30%. The downside of wearing armor will most likely be a DEX penalty, depending on how effective it turns out to be in the end.When it comes to gravity, it wouldn't be nay harder to hit with than the other projectiles, especially if I give it an area-of-effect burst on hit.

Note that I didn't mention STR. That's because I think STR really is basically worthless most of the time, except for Rahkshi who benefit from it and people who love melee combat.

10 STR, 10 VIT, Nuva Armor and Earth Claws/Quake Breaker. :PAlmost 900 damage per second, if my calculations are correct. :biggrin:
Okay.... never mind.... :fear:

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

But with the 10 Str/10 Vit Nuva Armor+Quake Breaker, you still have to get close enough to hit them... and Quake Breakers wear out very quickly. I don't know about fighting against real people, but I know that I rarely hit people (other than Exo-Toa) in melee and they rarely hit me, especially if one side's playing an element with stunning/paralyzing attacks (fire, ice, lightning...). Also, stunning/paralyzing them removes the necessity of being fast enough to catch them.My current favorite character is a 6 Str, 8 Vit, 4 Dex, 10 Elm, 5 Mind Toa of Fire with a Rode (to see enemy health) and no weapon (because they're available in several places, including from killed enemies). No armor, either, because armor still doesn't seem worth an extra point of, say, vitality. No other character I've made is anywhere near as good (at least since the infamous shadow glitch was removed). Toa of Ice have ridiculously low damage (average of about 150 energy points to kill someone, by my experience); Toa of Gravity fail miserably against flying enemies; Toa of Plasma and Iron have no stunning/paralyzing attacks; and I can't play Toa of Lightning well for some reason. The other elements aren't loaded and are basically jokes right now, so fire it is and fire it shall remain (until the next update).

If someone are trapped in ice and then shattered, they take 50 extra damage. If kept frozen they also begin to choke, draining HP rapidly as well. Finally, if you freeze someone in the air they take both fall and shatter damage, making it a very lethal combo since being frozen also lowers friction. Freeze someone as they approach you near a ledge and they will often slide right off. A frozen target is also completely t your mercy, meaning that without distractions you can "stun-lock" them or just hit them at will. I was actually thinking of nerfing Ice for that reason.Toa of Plasma have their secondary, which is basically an everything-shield like the Hau. Have you tried blocking projectile attacks with it?Armor gives you +50% damage resistance against many attacks, so while it is active you essentially have double health against half the attacks in the game.I agree that fire is the most effective, but it and a few other things are rather overpowered right now.

My current favorite character is a 6 Str, 8 Vit, 4 Dex, 10 Elm, 5 Mind Toa of Fire with a Rode (to see enemy health) and no weapon

....I look forward to fighting you in multiplayer....4 DEX might work well against bots, but I highly doubt it will work against real people.Ice is actually the most well-balanced so far, IMO. Edited by alpha123

Muffin button

It doesn't fill you with rage when a bot insta-freezes you at point blank then keeps running noobishly back and forth while spamming the freeze attack so you can't move and then die of suffocation?What did I do wrong... :P

Well yeah, there's that. :PI don't see how that can be fixed without making ice underpowered though. Maybe make it so that once you've unfrozen, you can't be frozen again for half a second or so?

Muffin button

It doesn't fill you with rage when a bot insta-freezes you at point blank then keeps running noobishly back and forth while spamming the freeze attack so you can't move and then die of suffocation?What did I do wrong... :P

This has happened to me a couple times, but I haven't run out of air yet...Ice still seems really low on damage. Yes, I can just keep on freezing them, but I end up running out of EE (even if I start at full) before I kill them...Anyway, yeah, I guess ice is more of a 'trickery' element than a 'go in and kill people' element.

Ice works best with high ELM and MIND. That way you have more energy to use for freezing people. You don't really need STR when every shatter attack deals 50 damage no matter what. VIT and DEX can be applied at will. I recommend a Miru as well, possibly a Kualsi. Teleport on top of someone and use the guaranteed freeze attack. Teleport away after shattering them.

Shrug. I'm highly effective with Ice. I prefer high ELM and DEX, actually.Teleporting takes too much time to be useful for that sort of thing.

Muffin button

It may be because I play this game waaaay too much when testing, but I've never found the Kualsi slow to use?

The teleporter moves too slowly, basically. I don't think it's because of lag, but really it seems to me like moving the teleporter far enough away to be useful requires enough time (like half a second or so) that an enemy would be able to strike at you before you retreat in the above scenario.

Muffin button

The Mind stat increases range of the teleport and movement speed of the teleport. At 10 Mind it's 3 times as fast as at 1 Mind.

Even with 10 mind, I still think it's too slow.

Muffin button

I think it could be a bit faster while still being easy to aim.If it's not supposed to be a "get out of pain free card" (which I read as "quick retreat"), what is it supposed to be used for?

Muffin button

It can still be used that way, as it goes through walls and up ledges and it does so instantly once the button is released. It's just not supposed to let you dodge perfectly at close range like you were a DBZ character. The Hau negates attacks, the Kualsi should not. You can also use it to cancel fall damage and "hover", so it has plenty of uses.Update: Some of my progress on Kini-Nui.Update 2: A brand new ice map that is almost done. It's meant to be a sort of 2-team map (with one team in the fortress and one on the makeshift dock), though it can of course be used for regular deathmatch as well.

Edited by Katuko

- Used some Jaller Mahri sprites to create Makuta's "main form"; prepared to add these along with Matoran and Vahki sprites to the main game.- Map making.- Added most current Kanohi powers to bots.- Tweaked some statistics here and there.- Worked a bit more on missing animations, though they haven't been added yet.- Sketched out some changes to Karda Nui (pillar tunnels and Rama/Mutran hive near the ceiling. There will be spawn points for Kanohi Miru to let everyone reach the floating locations.- Planned Makuta fight (and preliminary "mission") in detail.

Man, I love this game! The character customization allows me to replicate my Self-Moc in the original toa-design, but with more colors! The AIs work great, the physics are incredible, and I can now save the Bionicle universe thanks to you :D I'm playing it right now!

blah?

"Hero Factory? Heroes? All I see is target practice!"

"If it weren't for the insane people of this world, we'd still be cavemen banging rocks together."

]banner_friendorfoe1.png

Do you smell something burning?

I finally got around to playing the game and I have to say that it is awesome. I had to stop myself from continuing to spam fragmentation blasts while on a respawn point. The only things I have to say is the fire is a bit to over powered (maybe not becoming lit on fire after only being hit once) and bots seem to only use attacks and not absorb abilities. I was a bit annoyed that the bottem third of my screen was cut off so I couldn't see my armour or weapon health (and sometimes my feet). Other then that I say good game and I can't wait for multiplayer!-Gravity

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Glad to hear you like it. :)After rewriting the spawn system I'm thinking of eliminating healing at spawn points altogether. I've also taken a look at the current damage values and I am prepared to turn some of them down (I've already halved Fireball blast damage). Bots don't use Absorb abilities, mostly because they're on a sort of "random roulette" when it comes to what powers they use.Each power is marked in a list as either short or long range. Absorb powers don't really fit as attacks, though, and I saw that with my current AI code the bots would sometimes jump into melee range only to start absorbing energy (often when already at max EP), which left them sitting ducks. In order to save processing power, AI also turns off completely as long as the bot does not have a target to chase. This is why they sometimes die pointlessly when hovering off a ledge. If they drop beneath the edge while you're still on, then suddenly there's a wall in-between you and it can no longer "see" you. So it shuts of AI code, including hovering. :PI'm working on fixing that as well.When it comes to your screen trouble, I don't know. The game is set to scale with the screen AFAIK, so you shouldn't have any trouble. What resolution are you running at?

I just popped in to say this game is awesome and that I've played and tested in many times already. You seem to be aware of the things that need fixing, already. The game is quite large and my computer might freeze after a long time of playing the game, but it's very entertaining. Keep up the good work. I can only imagine how great this will be in online multiplayer...

I try to keep myself updated on any errors, even if I can't fix them all easily. Freezing after a long time? Does it progressively get slower and slower, or does it randomly freeze completely?

Edited by Katuko

Er... dang? I know that has happened with one of my older games, but I've never experienced that with Bionicle Fighter. No idea what could cause it. Is there any pattern to the freezing? For example, every time a certain power is used or a sound plays or something?

My screen is on 1920(10?) x 1020, I have never experienced the game freezing though... BTW I like the idea of gravity being a pulse with hight power, stream doesn't work very well.I also had an idea for the Olmak: the mask works like teleportation, only it creates a portal that anyone can pass through. The portal dissapears after a few seconds though. I think that it shouldn't stop all momentum though, like in Portal 1 and 2.Do you have any plans for game types for multiplayer, like CTF or Deathmatch (Or even teams?)?

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Do you have any plans for game types for multiplayer, like CTF or Deathmatch (Or even teams?)?

Katuko has already stated previously in this thread he's going to implement multiplayer. One small correction on Portal: I'm 99% certain portals in both Portal I and II do not destroy velocity or acceleration.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I do believe that's what he was saying, UltraHau, except the sentence didn't work out perfectly.The multiplayer modes I aim to implement first are naturally just Deathmatch and Team Deathmatch, since they require the least programming effort on my part. Last Man Standing would also be pretty easy, where everyone has a set number of lives and can only re-spawn so many times. Then I might look into Capture The Flag though that would probably require more specialized maps. King of The Hill could work almost anywhere, where an area of a map is marked as the "hill" and you need to gather around it and hold it until the timer runs out. Finally, Survival. Everyone on the same team, and I just spawn waves of Rahi and Exo-Toa and ###### and see how long you last. :P

Yeah thats what I was trying to say, maybe I shouldn't stay up as late next time :P . I just thought of something from playing Darkspore, would chat be avalible for multiplayer? I'd hate to suddenly let loose my gravitic powers, only to have a team mate float off into the sunset the screen. (But that would only work if you could (e?) affect/damage your team. One more question, would Toa be able to take control of Exo-Toa, like in the story? No elemental powers though. (Perhaps after they have been shut down or have taken a certian amount of damage?)

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -