Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

Yeah thats what I was trying to say, maybe I shouldn't stay up as late next time :P . I just thought of something from playing Darkspore, would chat be avalible for multiplayer? I'd hate to suddenly let loose my gravitic powers, only to have a team mate float off into the sunset the screen. (But that would only work if you could (e?) affect/damage your team. One more question, would Toa be able to take control of Exo-Toa, like in the story? No elemental powers though. (Perhaps after they have been shut down or have taken a certian amount of damage?)

I'll have a server option to turn friendly fire on/off, I guess. By default you will not be able to affect teammates (even though it would kind of neat to use Gravity as a makeshift Miru for everyone...) A simple text chat will most likely be implemented later, once the system is up and running.A controllable Exo-Toa shell was supposed to be the reward for killing the Karda Nui boss, but I skipped that idea when I ran into some problems with the code. Basically, once you entered the Exo-Toa it would count you as "dead" and respawn a second version you. :P

Are all Kanohi eventually going to have powers, or will most just be cosmetic?

I'll try to implement as many of them as I can. Some powers I simply can't see as working in a multiplayer platform environment (such as the Rau and Komau), so those will likely become cosmetic masks. Powers not on the list but that are actually planned are those of the Tryna, Mohtrek, etc; though those will need some careful planning to code.

When V 1.0 comes around, will the online server be implemented?

mata_nui_inc_auditions.jpg

92% of teens have moved on to Xbox 360. 7.9% still use other game systems (PS3 and Wii). If you are part of the 0.1% who still use the only real game system (PC), copy and paste this into your sig.

Looking good so far! :)Just curious, do you have a projected finish date, roundabouts? 'Cause this seems like it could take a while, I know Super Smash Bionicle's been in active development for over a year now :P

~Bionicle Online Games Guru~
Current Bionicle Sets: 232/250
2001: 23/24 2002: 20/21 2003: 22/22 2004: 22/22 2005: 23/23
2006: 16/22 2007: 22/22 2008: 25/27 2009: 26/26 2010: 4/6
2015: 18/18 2016: 11/17

The freezing happens suddenly, without any warning. Sometimes it slows down, but that doesn't have anything to do with the freezing.

Strange. There are few pieces of code I think might be responsible, particularly the lightning due to its reliance on multiple collision checks per shot, so possibly the event responsible for the freezing might be happening off-screen and that's why it seems random. I'll look into it.

idea for map: glatorian arenas!!arena manga at least

I've been trying to stay on Aqua Magna for this game, but later I might include maps from Bara Magna as well.

When V 1.0 comes around, will the online server be implemented?

Yes, online functionality will make me start the numbering over with "proper" versions. But don't think you can just count your way to that release. I'll release alpha version 37.4b+ if I have to. :lol:

Looking good so far! :)Just curious, do you have a projected finish date, roundabouts? 'Cause this seems like it could take a while, I know Super Smash Bionicle's been in active development for over a year now :P

This too. Original post date on this forum was August 25th, 2010. I have no idea when it will be done, as I work rather sporadically. Sorry.

My sister reports that the respawning glitch happens as a Rahkshi as well. She respawned as a default fear Rahkshi.The game sometimes won't open on my computer, complaining about not enough graphic memory or something like that. It almost never works when Photoshop is open, which I can understand and deal with, but sometimes it won't work even when nothing else/little else is running. This has been happening ever since you switched to Game Maker 8.1, but with Alpha 9/9.1 it seems to have gotten worse.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

I'm not using GM 8.1. I switched back to GM 8.0 for BIONICLE Fighter the very next update after I discovered that GM 8.1 is not entirely compatible with 8.0 files.According to the task manager, my game uses about 500 MB of RAM while running. The main screen background is 1024x768 pixels large, that might cause trouble on computers with graphics cards that can only handle textures up to 512x512. I'm not entirely sure about how Game Maker handles images internally, but I think backgrounds are used like some sort of texture resource.

Oh. Weird. Well, it never happened prior to 7.0 and happens more frequently with 9.0+. I have 6GB of RAM, and I'm pretty sure my graphics card can draw textures bigger than 512x512.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Correct. Next time I get the error I'll post it, but it says something about failing to allocate enough graphics memory. Happens almost always when Photoshop is also running, but happens occasionally, especially in 9.x, when nothing/little else is running.

Muffin button

Hey Katuko,I just thought of something for the Exo-Toa. What if they where objects like masks? Where you would be able to "pick" them up and use them as an item? They could have health like other items and the rocket and punch thingy replaces you normal attacks. Now I know absolutly nothing about coding and programming so I don't know how it would work, but this is an idea that I had.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Have you checked your processes via Task Manager to ensure that, say, Firefox hasn't gone on one of it's RAM-eating ventures?

Humph, no hating on Firefox. :P They have improved the memory thing quite a bit in recent versions actually.Yeah, I rarely get over 3GB even with Firefox, Chrome, and some other stuff running. Edited by alpha123

Muffin button

I run Firefox myself, and I love it, apart from that memory leak. It happens most often when viewing sites with lots of images (like art hosts, Google searches, humor archives, etc). Basically it will either start punting out "older" images from the cache (leading to you having to reload pages when you try to go back to a previous tab) or it loads it all in at once and begins using more and more memory. Since 3 GB is what I have on my laptop, it can be a problem compared to other browsers. But as said: Firefox is what I use.@Gravity: I've mentioned drivable Exo-Toa a few times already. I want to put them in, but right now I'm having some slight issues with replacing one player object with another. The system as-is tends to view the player as "dead" once they "change form".

But what if it didn't change form? When you pick up a mask and it replaces your old one you don't die. I was sudgesting the Exo-Toa suits being like a mask that you can pick up. Please tell me if I'm just spouting gibberish, though.P.S. What I'm trying to say is to have the Exo-Toa suits be an item to pick up, instead of and NPC, wouldn't that work?

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

Well, from a programming perspective, it's easier to just change objects when you're changing the fundamentals of it. The player object is already stuffed with code for checking what items you are carrying and how attacks work, etc. The Exo-Toa would be rather different, both in graphics and overall function. Therefore, I want to change the player into an Exo-Toa object when donning the suit.It's not that big of a deal to program, but I'm looking to rewrite a bunch of other code along with it because I was rather stupid when I first wrote the system, so that's why I'm procrastinating.

I played this a bit, and I really enjoyed it. However, I do think there needs to be some sort of time limit or lives, something to complete the game, and get it to the point where it gives you a score of some sort (Kill count, deaths, other relevant info) instead of having it just be an endless battle going on forever. Are there any plans to implement something like this?

Of course. :) The game is set to be multiplayer, after all, with some proper game modes. I'll see if I can't pop it into the next version already. Apart from certain small fixes and multiplayer itself, I've held it off on the game's purpose for too long, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you ever going to put a setting up for "windowed mode" non-fullscreen? It takes up a lot of RAM and slows up my computerP.S. Have been watching this for a long time, Looooove the game-The Bane

Gentlemen, it's time to spread the word. And the word is: Panic

life is not a question of how long we live, but what we do with the life we have

BZRPG profiles

@Gravity: Yeah, it's getting nerfed. I've already reduced fireball damage for the next version.@Rocka's Bane: I can't remember if I turned off the function or not, but if I didn't, then F4 should switch between fullscreen and windowed mode. If it's off, I'll mke sure to add it back in for the next version.I'll also try to make the code more efficient as I go along. I see now that there are things I can probably improve for better performance.I messed up part of the new ice map (screenshot) and I now see that I need to rewrite the "swimming code" to work better too. Right now it's next to impossible to get out of the water without a slope, which undermines half the point of the tunnels. There are also some graphic glitches on the terrain that makes it look ugly. I'll be working on fixing this, as well as adding in Kini-Nui and a proper "win condition" for the maps; even if that is just "get X kills".Thanks for your continued support, guys!

Ah... 287 kills with 0 deaths is also known as skill.

I look forward to seeing you in multiplayer. :PSpeaking of kills, the game froze for my sister once and when it came back, she had over 2000 kills.

Muffin button

Ah... 287 kills with 0 deaths is also known as skill.

I look forward to seeing you in multiplayer. :PSpeaking of kills, the game froze for my sister once and when it came back, she had over 2000 kills.
*Cracks knuckles* I'm expecting it. :PYeah the game froze only once for me. When it came back I had -1,223 kills and 1,232,121 deaths.

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

OK, the error I get when the game fails to start up is:Failed to initialize drawing surfaces. Please check that your graphics card meets the minimum requirements and that your drives are up-to-date. If your graphics card has little memory, try switching your computer to a lower resolution.

*Cracks knuckles* I'm expecting it. :P

You don't know what's coming your way pal. :evilgrin: Edited by alpha123

Muffin button

Miru vs Kadin idea!I've been using my brain lately and came up with this: Miru and Kadin doing the same exact thing would be fine, but what if they were different? A Miru could alow for faster traveling up and down (Mask of Levitation) while the Kadin would alow for faster traveling left to right (Mask of Fight).Is this a good idea?

mnogsignature.png

BZPRPG -

I did have a Kadin in the works, but it was glitched and is thus not functional right now. So yeah, they are scheduled to be different. :)By the way; latest news:

It's been too long since the last update, again. This is mostly due to me not having finished the whole "mirrored sprite" issue, though I have decided to ignore it for now and just push this update out.- Added Toa of Stone secondary power: Fracture. It causes stone spikes to jut out of the ground, but it can also create a row of spikes in the air as long as you hit something with the power pulse first.- Players will now do a jump out of water and lava.

I'm trying to fix the "slope issue" I'm having as well, which makes people walk extremely fast uphill. There's also the "moonwalk" problem... Edited by Katuko

From what I've seen, there's no limit on how high the speed can go when it glitches out like that. Basically it checks for a value that is opposite of what it should be, and then it just keeps increasing/decreasing it in the wrong direction, so it never gets back to normal until you stop completely by letting go of the button.Will be fixed, sooner or later.Heck, I should rewrite the movement and animation system. It's missing crucial parts for certain new abilities (like flight and dodge; not to mention shielding and absorbing power or even just using an animation for throwing fireballs).

This game is fantastic! The range of masks, weapons, and powers is incredible(although some of the masks don't work :dontgetit: )DEspite those elements of incompleteness, which even now are eing worked on, the game is fully playable and very entertaining. I personally cannot be drawn away from using the element of Gravity. :satisfied: