Bionicle Fighter: Broken Virtues

Katuko

"Jump off a bridge?" I'm not exactly doing extreme things like removing the ability to jump or give everyone insta-kill powers here. I am analyzing the affect life bars has on a player's strategy and making an educated guess as to which option would be best. The decision I've made doesn't really fit into the bridge-jumping metaphor at all. It describes doing something (in most cases) self-damaging due to peer pressure. I believe the tornado attack does slight damage to Nui-Rama, but it generally won't them kill outright. They don't get thrown around because of their movement script overriding the tornado's, but I'm working on fixing that. Right now my "fix list" has round 40 entries, with both tiny and large impacts on the game and its coding. This list does not include missing powers and the likes. It'll take a while to get through it, and since I got some important school work to do (*shudder*) it will take even longer. And BAAAH, I haven't even started multiplayer yet. Darn it. :(

Yeah yeah, okay, I'll tolerate it. Oh, and to add to that fix list.... shadow is way too powerful. I had 144 kills on the Mangaia map before I died once. My best without shadow is something like 40 to 8.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

Oh, and to add to that fix list.... shadow is way too powerful. I had 144 kills on the Mangaia map before I died once. My best without shadow is something like 40 to 8.

The problem with it currently is the instant stun glitch that occurs with bots. If you get attacked by Shadow yourself you will see that the effect is meant to be much more gradual. So yeah, once I fix that its power should be fine.

Yay, it's back. I remember playing this before the downtime. That's some nice progress. It seems that twice as much elements and kanohi are usable now that before the downtime. Also, I think the Mangaia needs way more difference in terrain, if possible. Maybe a few pools of energized protodermis. It's way too easy to get from one end to the other and due to the numerous amount of spawn pads, it'll be as if you won't even take a hit. Either lower the amount of spawn pads or remove the spawn pads' ability to heal. As pretty much anything I can everywhere and still not die in the Mangaia. Also, I personally think that the combinations of Toa of Lightning + Huna and Toa of Gravity + Kakama are awesome combinations.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

Ah, yes, Mangaia. Flat, dark and boring, I know. When that map is done it's supposed to be more like this: kininui_concept.pngI got the sketches ready, but making them into a full map takes time; time I spent on coding flashy elements and making Ta-Koro instead. Note that Ta-Koro isn't done either, signified by the construction sign and scaffolding I place there instead of a fortress. :P

So how would one access the Kini-Nui once they fall down into Mangaia itself? I'd guess the same sort of teleporters as in the Karda Nui map? Also, I think a neat idea for Energized Protodermis would be a 99% chance of instant death, otherwise a 1% chance to 'upgrade' your character until they die. In canon, it transforms or destroys... I also think the Rakhshi pillars should spawn Rahkshi every so often even in multiplayer and the pillars being destructible, with one being destroyed lowering the Rahkshi spawn rate.

On Bota Magna, everything is about to fall apart.

would be a 99% chance of instant death, otherwise a 1% chance to 'upgrade' your character until they die.

thats just so unfair

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

This has improved a lot since the last time I saw it! The main problem remaining now (besides lack of multiplayer, but that's really a huge thing to tackle so I don't expect it soon) is lack of feedback. I can't tell if I'm damaging my opponents most of the time, or how much damage I'm doing, or if I'm getting hit. Some screen shakes, frame freezing (example: the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and I think Ocarina of Time; the frame freezes when you hit an enemy to emphasize the attack), screen flashes, etc. would go a long way toward feeling more in the game. Right now I feel like my character is a remote-controlled robot. The new character creation screen is great, but it's still missing a couple of things. Namely, weapons don't show up in the view; and the item/mask descriptions describe what they are in the story, not their gameplay effects.

Edited by Jedi Knight Krazy

IrMSNn3.png

I don't remember if this was asked in the original topic or not, but are you planning to release a Mac version? Or is this going to be a Windows only deal?

Yeah! This game looks awesome, but there's no way my Mac will cooperate with things like ZIP files and whatnot.

Mangaia looks pretty cool. IIRC you mentioned possibly having Rahi in the upper area. That would be cool. Also, I like Impulse's idea for energized protodermis.

I don't remember if this was asked in the original topic or not, but are you planning to release a Mac version? Or is this going to be a Windows only deal?

Yeah! This game looks awesome, but there's no way my Mac will cooperate with things like ZIP files and whatnot.
Your Mac will cooperate with ZIP files. Anyway, it's impossible for him to make a Mac version, since Game Maker only creates Windows executables. Try using WINE, although the Mac version tends to lag behind the Linux version, it should still be able to run it (note, I haven't actually tried it under WINE :P).

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

So how would one access the Kini-Nui once they fall down into Mangaia itself? I'd guess the same sort of teleporters as in the Karda Nui map?

Correct, there would be either a teleporter or a jump pads, most likely the former. I might end up creating a lift pillar similar to the one Takua used to get into Mangaia in the MNOG, though.

Also, I think a neat idea for Energized Protodermis would be a 99% chance of instant death, otherwise a 1% chance to 'upgrade' your character until they die. In canon, it transforms or destroys...

There will be no transformation, only death. Only destined beings transform, and those are few and far between. Besides, random events with major impacts like that are not good for gameplay.

I also think the Rakhshi pillars should spawn Rahkshi every so often even in multiplayer and the pillars being destructible, with one being destroyed lowering the Rahkshi spawn rate.

Pillars might be destructible, but I can guarantee that they will not spawn Rahkshi. Too chaotic. Nui-Rama are already enough of a menace in Karda Nui if I'm not going to spawn full-fledged Rahkshi as well.

This has improved a lot since the last time I saw it! The main problem remaining now (besides lack of multiplayer, but that's really a huge thing to tackle so I don't expect it soon) is lack of feedback. I can't tell if I'm damaging my opponents most of the time, or how much damage I'm doing, or if I'm getting hit. Some screen shakes, frame freezing (example: the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess and I think Ocarina of Time; the frame freezes when you hit an enemy to emphasize the attack), screen flashes, etc. would go a long way toward feeling more in the game. Right now I feel like my character is a remote-controlled robot.

There are hit sounds, but I agree, there needs to be a bit more feedback. I've been working on a screen edge effect to show that you are getting hurt, but now that I've run into the view zoom problem (the HUD and text gets scaled) I need to fix that first. Screen shakes will most likely make it in as well, for explosions and fall damage.Enemy players that get hit may end up flashing red or white as well, like in Zelda. In lieu of health bars visible to everyone I've also considered adding floating damage numbers like TF2. I have the code ready for this, but I haven't implemented it yet. All these effects would be optional, of course.

The new character creation screen is great, but it's still missing a couple of things. Namely, weapons don't show up in the view; and the item/mask descriptions describe what they are in the story, not their gameplay effects.

Yeah, I still have to make equipment show up in the preview window. I thought the descriptions were pretty straight-forward, though. "Kaukau: Breathe freely underwater." "Huna: Makes the wearer completely invisible." "Jutlin: Corrodes metal objects, weapons and armor."

Right now it's Windows only. Game Maker has a Mac version as well, but I haven't got access to that and I don't think I can simply convert my files anyways. There is now a version that can export to various formats such as Android/iPhone apps, and one that can export to HTML5, but those are separate programs and not something I'll invest in right now.

Mangaia looks pretty cool. IIRC you mentioned possibly having Rahi in the upper area. That would be cool. Also, I like Impulse's idea for energized protodermis.

Yeah, I'll most likely add some Rahi spawn points to the edges of the map.There won't be a random chance of super-powers. The Protodermis serves as the map border and will be set to kill any player instantly regardless of HP, like the Codrex field.

Your Mac will cooperate with ZIP files. Anyway, it's impossible for him to make a Mac version, since Game Maker only creates Windows executables. Try using WINE, although the Mac version tends to lag behind the Linux version, it should still be able to run it (note, I haven't actually tried it under WINE :P).

I believe WINE would work, but I can't say for sure since I haven't tested it either.

Can someone make some gameplay videos for this (with sound)? I'd LOVE to see what it's like!

I've made a gameplay trailer, though it uses added music instead of in-game sound effects. It's also of rather low video quality, but chalk that up to me being terrible at proper video resizing. You can find it on that-well-known-video-site-we-unfortunately-can't-link-to, under the name "BIONICLE Fighter v9.0 trailer". Actually, just Google that exact sentence and you will find it.

This game is as awesome as ever!I have found a little problem though: If someone hits me with Electro-Blade, it seems to stun me everytime, so i can just stand there until I die.(Could just be my imagination though)

If you hear and see sparks, then the hit stunned you. If not, then you might still be stuck in the previous stun. It's meant to last only a second, but I might have mistyped something again. It happens a lot during testing, and then I think I got everything under control, and then you guys start reporting errors. :P

The Chameleon Rahkshi power should hide the "tail" that appears when you're flying. And on the topic of stuns, Stone and Lightning both stun too long.

Muffin button

Unfortunately, this game doesn't work on WINE :(

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

That's too bad. Did you try fiddling with the WINE options? I've noticed it sometimes takes a little tinkering.

Muffin button

That's too bad. Did you try fiddling with the WINE options? I've noticed it sometimes takes a little tinkering.
Quite a bit. This is one reason I really don't like Game Maker :(

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

/me prefers Linux's speed, power, and security. Also take note that this game won't work on Macs, either :)

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

There needs to be some indicator that for Rahkshi the Kanohi color controls the spine.

Quite a bit. This is one reason I really don't like Game Maker :(
Oh well. I might try it later and see if I can make any progress. @JKK: Oh come on.

Muffin button

The Chameleon Rahkshi power should hide the "tail" that appears when you're flying. And on the topic of stuns, Stone and Lightning both stun too long.

The tail being visible is just about the only thing that balances the power, actually. 100% invisibility plus the ability to attack with no indication except sound? Look at how clueless bots are because you are invisible. You can attack them at will and they don't care.

There needs to be some indicator that for Rahkshi the Kanohi color controls the spine.

I know, once I get the spine change settings done the Kanohi box will change to a "spine" box for the Rahkshi, so that you can change the style and color.

The Chameleon Rahkshi power should hide the "tail" that appears when you're flying.

The tail being visible is just about the only thing that balances the power, actually. 100% invisibility plus the ability to attack with no indication except sound? Look at how clueless bots are because you are invisible. You can attack them at will and they don't care.
If that's the case, you should probably lower the EP cost for the power then. It seems to take a lot of EP for not much affect.And maybe the Chameleon secondary power should be a little more useful. I can't think of a good use for randomizing colors, especially since I like to pick my colors to camouflage myself.

Muffin button

The Chameleon Rahkshi power should hide the "tail" that appears when you're flying.

If that's the case, you should probably lower the EP cost for the power then. It seems to take a lot of EP for not much affect.And maybe the Chameleon secondary power should be a little more useful. I can't think of a good use for randomizing colors, especially since I like to pick my colors to camouflage myself.
I could have sworn it was mentioned before, but switching to some sort of toa would be rather useful, particularly if it changed your weapon too, or just completely randomized your character. Of course, changing your weapon would somewhat inconvenient for yourself, given that then it would be hard to tell whether you're holding a rahkshi staff. I guess that your weapon should stay the same, but everything else should be randomized, or at least changing to a toa, unless that's reserved for shapeshifting.
rarity-with-wings.jpgrarity-heart.png <<Newest Chibi: Nuparu Inika

You bring up some interesting points. The color shift was meant to be a seocndary form of camouflage, but I can see how it would not be very useful at all. The primary power of a Chameleon Rahkshi is cloaking. You may not see it all that well when you're playing due to the outline added to your own character, but enemy Chameleon Rahkshi will stay 100% invisible until their EP run out. At that point they become around 90% transparent instead, depending on level. Since Shapeshifting will have the ability to change form entirely (into Toa and Rahkshi with "wrong" colors) and also disguise their weapon and other items; that means Chameleon needs something else. I was thinking the ability to blend in as a background object (think Prophunt), but that might be too close to Shapeshifting again. So if you got any good ideas for a Chameleon secondary: by all means, post it. :)

Taking the appearance of another nearby Rahkshi is a good idea. I was thinking changing the colors to whatever is behind you as you move. This is less effective than the primary power, but would also take a lot less EP. Also, depending on how your coloring system works, this could be really hard to implement.

Muffin button

Color system works like this: Each sprite is split into parts, which are colored white. A few variables hold the relevant color values, and the full sprite is then drawn in a "stack", the parts blended with color. Changing the color is a simple as changing the variable, though here is the problem: The function for getting a color from the screen easily causes lag.I was, however, planning on making a proper "cloak" effect, where the sprite is only visible as a distorted silhouette of the background. The problem with this is that the sprite is split into parts, so either I must apply the cloak effect several times (lag!) or I must compile the sprite into a silhouette before making the distortion, like I do with the death effects (lag!). So that's why there's no proper cloaking yet.EDIT: Wouldn't disguising as a random Rahkshi essentially be just the color shift? People are gonna kill you just as hard regardless of who you look like. Chameleon is meant to avoid being seen at all. I was thinking that Shapeshifting already has the "disguise" ability incorporated anyways.

Edited by Katuko

I see the problem. Maybe take the background at the moment the 'W' key is pressed and slowly drain EP. When the user deactivates the power or runs out of EP, restore the colors to what they were before. Oh, and why is the Kanoka Disk Launcher's base damage -1?

Edited by alpha123

Muffin button

Color system works like this: Each sprite is split into parts, which are colored white. A few variables hold the relevant color values, and the full sprite is then drawn in a "stack", the parts blended with color. Changing the color is a simple as changing the variable, though here is the problem: The function for getting a color from the screen easily causes lag. I was, however, planning on making a proper "cloak" effect, where the sprite is only visible as a distorted silhouette of the background. The problem with this is that the sprite is split into parts, so either I must apply the cloak effect several times (lag!) or I must compile the sprite into a silhouette before making the distortion, like I do with the death effects (lag!). So that's why there's no proper cloaking yet. EDIT: Wouldn't disguising as a random Rahkshi essentially be just the color shift? People are gonna kill you just as hard regardless of who you look like. Chameleon is meant to avoid being seen at all. I was thinking that Shapeshifting already has the "disguise" ability incorporated anyways.

Good point. Speaking of which, will Shapeshifting allow us to gain the powers of a being? (say, activate shapeshifting, you stay in that form for either a set amount of time, and drains all the EP required at once, or turns on when hitting the button, draining EP over time, and then stopping when your release it.) I think you should either get at least one elemental power (possibly two, if you stay in the form for say, thirty seconds automatically, meaning neither attack button will deactivate it,) due to the fact that the power comes with the form, or because you're a toa with a kanohi, meaning you can use said kanohi (though that's more due to mental focus, which a rahkshi would lack even when shapeshifting.)

/me prefers Linux's speed, power, and security. Also take note that this game won't work on Macs, either :)

Fair enough. But if you choose to use a minority operating system, don't complain that nothing works with it, because that's the price you pay. If there were no disadvantages to using Linux I would have it, too. Back on topic: If "people are gonna kill you just as hard", what advantage does shapeshifting give?

IrMSNn3.png

Fair enough. But if you choose to use a minority operating system, don't complain that nothing works with it, because that's the price you pay. If there were no disadvantages to using Linux I would have it, too. Back on topic: If "people are gonna kill you just as hard", what advantage does shapeshifting give?
Well, you should be able to have some of their powers, and while you could just turn into a different toa/rahkshi to gain said powers this way you could disguise yourself as different characters, and have a wide variety of different powers. As for shifting colors, that would only be effective on a team match, assuming you disguise yourself as one of your opponents, that way they wouldn't attack you, though that's a double-edged sword, since then your own teammates might attack you.

Did you intentionally leave your custom character in the characters/ directory?

Muffin button

I see the problem. Maybe take the background at the moment the 'W' key is pressed and slowly drain EP. When the user deactivates the power or runs out of EP, restore the colors to what they were before. Oh, and why is the Kanoka Disk Launcher's base damage -1?

The laser weapons depend on the user's skills, but the disk launcher is supposed to a be a physical projectile with set damage. Since bashing someone with the weapon itself doesn't do anything, I set the array value to -1 (my go-to value fo "not applicable") in the meantime.

Good point. Speaking of which, will Shapeshifting allow us to gain the powers of a being? (say, activate shapeshifting, you stay in that form for either a set amount of time, and drains all the EP required at once, or turns on when hitting the button, draining EP over time, and then stopping when your release it.) I think you should either get at least one elemental power (possibly two, if you stay in the form for say, thirty seconds automatically, meaning neither attack button will deactivate it,) due to the fact that the power comes with the form, or because you're a toa with a kanohi, meaning you can use said kanohi (though that's more due to mental focus, which a rahkshi would lack even when shapeshifting.)

Actually, I don't think you will be able to emulate powers. The official description of Shapeshifting only mentions size and shape, not powers. Besides that, it would require one heck of a long script (even worse than the Rahkshi Staff). Shapeshift primary is random form/disguise (you would have a targeting reticule, and if you target someone you gain their specific form, but if not it is random). Secondary could be some sort of shape distortion, almost like Elasticity could have been. Perhaps you could hold W, and then pressing down would squish you very flat to duck under attacks, while up stretches you upwards and left/right sideways. I have no idea how useful this power would be at all, however.

If "people are gonna kill you just as hard", what advantage does shapeshifting give?

Apart from confusion... no idea. Possibly you could have the ability to actually transform the properties of you or your weapon as well, as you've said with the powers, but I'm not sure what I could do to stop people from just rolling Shapeshifting all the time then.Disguise in a team match would work like the TF2 Spy: The enemy team sees you as theirs, while your own team still sees you for who you are.

Did you intentionally leave your custom character in the characters/ directory?

No, that's another oversight on my part. I was testing the system and chose the wrong folder to put the file in. Edited by Katuko

Hey Katuko! Did you think you were rid of me? Well done Katuko! A great update, and you finally got me some projectile weapons :) But you messed up a little on the midak skyblaster. In the cannon story, it shoots balls of solid light. This appears to be a stream of energy. Cool, but not story accurate. As for the Rahkshi staves, I love them. No improvement needed. Also, concerning the Bohrok, I had an Idea. Let's give them elemental powers inferior to a Toa, but make up for it in melee. If we did that we wouldn't need to worry about overpowering the krana, and we could have masks being knocked off. That would give Rahkshi an edge. As for Skakdi, I think that I was wrong when I said have a fast weapon destruction in junction with elemental power. Slow is good. Looking forward to multiplayer!

Hey Katuko! Did you think you were rid of me?

YeNo, I was actually wondering where you'd gone off to. :)

Well done Katuko! A great update, and you finally got me some projectile weapons :) But you messed up a little on the midak skyblaster. In the cannon story, it shoots balls of solid light. This appears to be a stream of energy. Cool, but not story accurate.

It was going to just shoot a version of the Light secondary, but that was too boring. In the comics it looked like solid laser beams (though they curved) so I went with that. It's just the tip of the projectile that actually damages people, so technically it's still a ball with a trail. I'll probably end up changing it and use the laser trail effect for the Energy Harpoon instead, though. I'm not all that happy with how the Midak works right now.Some good sound effects and a bit of muzzle flash would likely make the "ball of light" a lot more interesting...

As for the Rahkshi staves, I love them. No improvement needed.

Good, good. (I only wish I had made the script easier to plug multi-step effects into. The Staff of Teleportation got botched something horrible on my first try due to the teleport requiring two inputs (press and release) while the Staff only has code for the press right now.

Also, concerning the Bohrok, I had an Idea. Let's give them elemental powers inferior to a Toa, but make up for it in melee. If we did that we wouldn't need to worry about overpowering the krana, and we could have masks being knocked off. That would give Rahkshi an edge. As for Skakdi, I think that I was wrong when I said have a fast weapon destruction in junction with elemental power. Slow is good.

That was kind of the idea for Bohrok, yeah. Weak elements, but strong headbutt and roll attacks. Krana mechanics are iffy, just like Bohrok and Skakdi are at all. I ended up excluding them due to sheer amount of work needed, after all. If we count only count primary and secondary attacks, that's still two powers to program per Toa and Rahkshi, plus Kanohi and certain weapon powers.(17 x 2) + (22 x 2) + about 30 or 40 = more than 100 different powers!Add to that a complex movement and attack engine, the maps, Artificial Intelligence for the bots, all the graphics and then finally multiplayer; and you have enough work for five people. Which I'm doing solo. Because I'm such a cool dude. ;)

Looking forward to multiplayer!

Me too. :lol: Edited by Katuko

I know you're doing a lot, and I understand that. I must say though, that the amount of work that is put into the game will dictate the quality. The more in, the more out. For example, it'd be a lot more interesting to have 4 species instead of 2 that can be played as. In fact, I'd say that 4 playable character types would be twice as interesting. As for where I went, let's just say I am greatful to Black Six for getting me out of a little mess concerning my account. As for the midak skyblaster, I say we have a small ball of light about the size of the fire secondary attack, and have it deal the same damage as it does now with two exceptions. First, I would like a 10-20% damage boost when wielded by a Toa of light. Second, I'd like it to have a knockback effect on Rahkshi, makuta, and Toa of Shadow. Now, concerning species types, I think that we can manage 4. :) I here's what I say. Toa: Strong element+melee+kanohiBohrok: weak element+strong melee+kranaRahkshi: flight+elemental power+meleeSkakdi: Elemental powers with a weapon+Vision OR Kanohi powers+Strong melee Skakdi elemental with a weapon=Toa elemental=Rahkshi elemental>Bohrok elementalBohrok melee>Skakdi melee>Rakshi melee>Toa meleeToa Kanohi=Skakdi Kanohi

on the first post, it says you are looking for a bzp friendly video site.ive seen bzp memebers use vimeo, thats bzp friendly

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

@kanohi_master: You realize how long it has taken him to partially do two species? Two more would take at least another year or two (no offense Katuko, I can imagine how much work it is just for Toa with all their various abilities).

Edited by alpha123

Muffin button