Official Gimp Help Topic

Reznas

Now for a GIMP 2.8 question - I already checked the on-line help, bug logs, and did a google search on this without finding anything...With the new on-canvas text editing, you get this useful tool to assist editing that appears just above and possibly extending to the right of the text area?text.pngMy problem is that it won't extend outside the window, which is just large enough for the image for large images, so it gets clipped off for text at the top (and sometimes right) of the image, making it useless in those cases. I have a few workarounds, but they're extra work, so I'd rather not use them. Is there a way to get that to appear elsewhere, such as at the bottom or side, of the text area.
I'm not sure I understand correctly the problem you are experiencing...Are you saying that when the image border is at the window border and you try to put text at the top or right of the image, the text box is no longer visible? If this is your problem I think you could solve it in two ways: first, zooming out will place the image within the window border allowing you to put the text box at any location and still see the text tool. My other suggestion is to place the text box somewhere else in the window that you can see it properly and once you have all the text options finished, move the text layer where you originally intended it to go.I am so glad Bzp is back, and this topic too! I wish the Art II forum were more active. XD
Actually, I'm pretty sure he means the toolbox above the text. You see the black box at the top? He's asking if you can move it and I have the same question, because it gets in the way a lot.-Rez

Actually, I'm pretty sure he means the toolbox above the text. You see the black box at the top? He's asking if you can move it and I have the same question, because it gets in the way a lot.-Rez
Ah sorry, I wrote my answer badly. I meant to say that when you cannot see the toolbox, you could use my suggestions. I have to say that although I don't use text very much, it does not seem to me that big of a bother.

.Are you saying that when the image border is at the window border and you try to put text at the top or right of the image, the text box is no longer visible? If this is your problem I think you could solve it in two ways: first, zooming out will place the image within the window border allowing you to put the text box at any location and still see the text tool. My other suggestion is to place the text box somewhere else in the window that you can see it properly and once you have all the text options finished, move the text layer where you originally intended it to go.
I've done both of those, but it's difficult to work with the small text when I've zoomed out, and I have to tweak the text, fonts, font size, kerning, etc. based on how it looks in its surroundings, so I'm constantly going back and forth, which is a nuisance. I've tried making the canvas size larger than what I'm actually working on and cropping down to a layer's size after I'm done, but I ended up with minor alignment issues. That still looks like my best bet for now, though.

snowballs_c.gif

lhh2.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Okay guys, I made a new guide. This time it's on outlined text and speech bubbles:http://vimeo.com/39540787Also, here are the steps for the outline text script:1. Copy and paste this code into a notepad document:
(define (script-fu-outline-text-logo-alpha img										 text-layer										 glow)(let* (		(font-size (car (gimp-text-layer-get-font-size text-layer)))		(grow (if (= glow TRUE)				(/ font-size 3)				(/ font-size 5)))		(feather font-size)		(new-layer 0)		)	(gimp-image-undo-group-start img)	(set! new-layer (car (gimp-layer-copy text-layer TRUE)))	(gimp-image-add-layer img new-layer -1)	(gimp-layer-resize-to-image-size text-layer)	(gimp-selection-layer-alpha text-layer)	(gimp-selection-grow img grow)	(if (= glow TRUE)	 (gimp-selection-feather img feather)	)	(gimp-edit-fill text-layer BACKGROUND-FILL)	(gimp-selection-none img)	(gimp-image-merge-down img new-layer 0)	(gimp-image-undo-group-end img)	(gimp-displays-flush)))(script-fu-register "script-fu-outline-text-logo-alpha"_"Add Text Outline..."_"Add an outline to text characters using the background color""""""June 2009"""SF-IMAGE	 "Image"				 0SF-DRAWABLE	"Drawable"			 0SF-TOGGLE	 _"Glowing Outline"		FALSE)(script-fu-menu-register "script-fu-outline-text-logo-alpha"						 "<Image>/Filters/Alpha to Logo")

2. Save the file in C://Program Files/GIMP-2.0/share/gimp/2.0/scripts. Make sure you save it as an .scm file. So the name should be something like "outline_text.scm".3. If you saved the file while Gimp was open, then go to Filters/Script-Fu/Refresh Scripts and the option to add outline text should be under Filters/Alpha to Logo.Hope this helped guys! Enjoy! :)-Rez

Thanks Man, I was looking for how to do that :P

sig2_0.png

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like a total noob since I am really good with computers but I know people on here can help.Two thingsHow do you shrink an image without the annoying blur.and how do you rotate an image without the white surrounding the sprite. I think you have to put it on a transparent background but when I add alpha channel and rotate the sprite, it disappears. NVM, figured it out ;P

Edited by Terra Nuva

sig2_0.png

I feel like a total noob since I am really good with computers but I know people on here can help.Two thingsHow do you shrink an image without the annoying blur.and how do you rotate an image without the white surrounding the sprite. I think you have to put it on a transparent background but when I add alpha channel and rotate the sprite, it disappears. NVM, figured it out ;P
Don't feel like a noob man, GIMP can be difficult at times. So to answer your question, just set the interpolation in the tool options for the scale image tool to none and shrink/enlarge away!-Rez

Wow, I didn't know how to do that. Thanks!
Glad I could be of some help. Do note that when you rotate an image (I'm mainly talking about sprites), if you already resized it to 2x larger or more, both none or cubic on the interpolation should be fine. You may want to sharpen the image a bit though. Good luck guys!-Rez

Thanks so much :biggrin:and I have one more question but it is hard to explain. How do people like Gavla,Soran or Vataki enlarge the sprites and make them look clean like they were never enlarged. whenever I enlarge them they look messy. (or do they not enlarge them at all and they do something else, idk)

Edited by Terra Nuva

sig2_0.png

How do people like Gavla,Soran or Vataki enlarge the sprites and make them look clean like they were never enlarged. whenever I enlarge them they look messy. (or do they not enlarge them at all and they do something else, idk)
Set interpolation to None when scaling the image.

snowballs_c.gif

lhh2.gif

Thanks so much :biggrin:and I have one more question but it is hard to explain. How do people like Gavla,Soran or Vataki enlarge the sprites and make them look clean like they were never enlarged. whenever I enlarge them they look messy. (or do they not enlarge them at all and they do something else, idk)
You're very welcome. It's fairly simple. All you have to do is assemble the sprite, head and pose alike, and then paste it into your panel. Then you take your scale tool, make sure the interpolation is set to none, and set it to percent like this:bzp_4.pngThen click the little chain link and it will look like they are attached rather than not. After that change the width to maybe 200% or larger depending on the panel size and press enter. This should change both the width and height to 200% because the chain link links the two together. Then you click scale and you have a clean looking enlarged sprite. Hope this helps! :)-Rez

• 5 weeks later...

GIMP 2.8.2 has been out for a few days now, and I haven't had any new problems with it. It unfortunately doesn't fix the on-canvas text editing problem I had. I haven't used it enough to see if it's any better about hogging all of the system's memory.

snowballs_c.gif

lhh2.gif

Could someone who still has 2.8.0 installed check on a bug for me?The bug occurs in 2.8.2, when using a font that does not have bold characters defined - the ones I've tried are Clementine, CCSez, Chinacat, and Twelve Ton Goldfish. It's mainly noticeable with larger size characters.When using the new text edit tool to make characters in these fonts bold, GIMP makes the characters slightly larger, but it looks like the height limit is still the maximum height for the regular characters in that font, so the characters are clipped at the top. Bolded exclamation points at 64 pixels are a good test - rounded tops if it works, flat tops if it doesn't.I used Clementine quite a bit with 2.8.0, and don't remember this happening.edit: I looked through some files I worked on with 2.8.0, and didn't see the problem, so I uninstalled 2.8.2 and installed 2.8.0 again. The problem went away, so it looks like a new 2.8.2 bug.

Edited by Pohuaki

snowballs_c.gif

lhh2.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...