Short Stories Contest #9: Results!

Velox

This thing all things devours:Birds, beasts, trees, flowers;Gnaws iron, bites steel;Grinds hard stones to meal;Slays king, ruins town,And beats high mountain down.

...Time

Time indeed. Time to reveal the winners of Short Stories Contest #9: In the Darkness Bind Them! Read on to see who they are.

noweretalking.png

Judged Winners:

First Place: An Aftermath, by GSR

Second Place:

Time and Tide, by Kagha

Third Place:

Redemption, by Eyru (Nukaya is Awesome)

Special Awards:

Best Use of Tolkienian Inspiration:

Where He Dwelleth None Can Say, by Thunder on the Mountain

Best Characterization: Kiina, from

An Aftermath, by GSR

Best Ending:

Time and Tide, by Kagha

Prizes: The first place winner will receive a custom Minifig (courtesy of Nuju Metru and xccj, as stated in the contest topic), an Annotated Hobbit (courtesy of 55555 and myself), and at least one rare Lego LotR poster (donated by Kevin Hinkle from TLC, acquired by Black Six). Second and third place winners will each receive a custom minifig and a poster. We're currently deciding how to handle the overlap between the Special Awards winners and the Contest Winners, we have six posters and are not quite sure how to divide them. This will be decided soon.Thank-yous: 55555 and I would like to give a big thank you to our judges: Black Six, Hahli Husky, Tolkien, Lloyd: The White Wolf, Grant-Sud and Eeko. Each story was read eight times, once by every judge. We are incredibly fortunate to have such amazing judges who not only were willing to read all the entries (and do even more work afterward when 5 5's and I decided to do the Special Awards), but did so in a very timely manner. We'd also like to thank Nuju Metru (with help/bribing from xccj) and Black Six for their donations for prizes, and I would like to thank 5 5's for the awesome image header he made (anyone spot the Bionicle reference besides the Matoran letters?).And lastly, we'd like to thank all of you who entered and participated. See you next time!55555Velox

Though here at journey's end I lieIn darkness buried deep,Beyond all towers strong and high,Beyond all mountains steep,Above all shadows rides the SunAnd Stars for ever dwell:I will not say the Day is done,Nor bid the Stars farewell.

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

Congrats to all the winners!I would've entered had I could, but I have the feeling that whatever I cooked up would've been swept out of the water by these wonderful entries.

I've been searchin' for the daughter of the Devil Himself,

​I've been searchin' for an Angel in White,

​I've been lookin for a woman who's a little of both,

​and I can sense her but she's nowhere in sight,
Cause I can't find a banner ;_;

It's a heck of an honor to know that people here enjoyed my entry enough to select it for first and in one of the special categories - thank you all! Many congratulations to the other winners as well, and I'm sorry I haven't yet had the chance to read all the entries - all those that I have have been great. As always, many thanks to Velox, 55555, and everyone else involved in this contest for hosting it and putting it in all the hard work to make it a success.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Congrats, GSR! As for me, I had a very good time participating to this contest and, considering it's my first time, two votes for Best Use of Tolkienian Inspiration can be enough. Congrats to the other winners, too!----- Lord of the Rings -----Titles: Dark Lord, Lord of Mordor, Lord of Gifts, Lord of Barad-Dûr, Lord of the Earth

Congrats around to everyone! ^_^

Edited by Peach 00

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...