Velox

tsvebtv.jpgAs you look around the room, you see a dark being emerge from one of the chamber's shadowy corners, his appearance silhouetted by the lone candles upon the wall behind. His eyes glow a bright, piercing blue, the only shapes discernible against his shadowed form. The mysterious being begins to slowly descend a flight of stone stairs, but turns and beckons for you to follow with a wave of his hand before continuing. You follow.Torches on either side of the passage light your way, and in their amber illumination the being is thrown into relief; his armor glints of bronzed brown and silver, and two gleaming swords glisten upon his back. Upon reaching the bottom of the staircase, he stops, looks cautiously to both sides, and pulls out an ornate and ancient brass key from his cloth back-pack. He advances to a large wooden door, warped by time, at the far wall of the room, slowly pushes the key into the lock, and twists. An audible click is heard, and the heavy door swings open, revealing nothing but darkness. After taking a torch from its bracket, he beckons to you once again to follow with a silent motion of his hand.The portal opens into a massive octagonal room, with a tall, spired ceiling. The cathedral-like room is dark, its eight walls shrouded from view. The only source of visibility radiated from a gigantic iron chandelier, filled with candles, slung high from the roof's zenith. The mysterious being moves slowly to the side from the door, making his way toward a short stone wall set slightly inside of the outer wall. It is hollowed at the top, and this canyon is filled with a glistening liquid. As your guide sets the head of his torch to the fluid, and it catches flame, you realize that it is oil.As the spreading fire rockets around the chamber on its eight-sided trough, the walls are finally revealed to your gaze; they are lined with bookshelves, all filled with countless old and worn books. The shelves extend upward seemingly endlessly, a tall, sliding ladder the only form of access. The being with you observes the room's unveiling briefly, but doesn't hesitate. He strides over to a nearby shelf and plucks one of the elderly volumes from its home, handing it to you.Although he never said a word, the sparkle in his dark eye seemed to speak to you: Read.

~ :: Short Stories :: ~

The Tower :: [New! ~ COT] A quick view of the main character (Detective Calvin Duster) in a (series of) novel(s) I am planning, showing a bit of who he is and the values he has. Written for a Write-OffSouvenirs :: [COT] A look into the life of a soldier and his family around Christmas.Another Day, Another Duty :: [Humanized ~ Original Bionicle version here*] Another look into the operations of The Black Fist (the Dark Hunters).Hope :: [COT ~ Original link here*] A brief scene showing the effort of a man wanting to get home.I'm Still Standing :: [bionicle ~ Original link here*] A story featuring Takanuva, Toa of Light, in his battle against the greatest enemy he has ever faced.Ruthless :: [Humanized ~ Original Bionicle version here*] Written for Elements 2*; a story answering the question of what happens to traitors of The Black Fist (the Dark Hunters).Solus :: [COT ~ Original link here*] A glimpse into the struggles of a lone soldier in the medieval era after a long battle.Tahu in the Rain :: [bionicle ~ Original link here*] A story detailing the character of Tahu and his hatred toward the rain.Whispers :: [bionicle ~ Original link here*] My entry for the Short Stories Autumn Olympics, featuring a paranoid Toa who works for a Makuta.Requiescat in Pace :: [bionicle ~ Original link here*] My first reasonably-okay short story, and entry into Short Stories Contest #5.* - denotes link to the old forums.

~ :: Vignettes/Flash Fiction :: ~

Usually unedited, very quickly-written short stories, this list mostly comprises of a few Write-Off stories I have posted on BZPower.

Guilt :: A Write-Off story for the theme of "Guilt", posted because it fit the Fortnightly Flash Fiction Contest theme of "Gravestone".Preparation :: A quick vignette written for the introduction of the Library Summer Olympics 2012.Music :: A Write-Off story for the theme "music."Burning Bridges :: A Write-Off story about a man with an internal struggle.The Flight :: A Write-Off story following a family fleeing from their home.The Forest :: A Write-Off story giving a quick look into the life of a man living in a forest.

~ :: Poems :: ~

Eldritch Abomination :: [New!] A poem written in the spirit of Hallowe'en. Life of a Father :: A poem written for my Creative Writing class where the assignment was to use sound in a 12-16 line lyrical poem. Staring Oceans :: A poem written for my Creative Writing class where the assignment was to describe a photograph about a person and tell a story about said person in a page-long poem. I modeled the poem after this image. Red is for Love :: A old poem that goes along with Requiescat in Pace, showing Velox's thoughts at the end of the story; does not need to be read with the story.Water and Ice :: A old poem written after a trip to the beach, meant to symbolize the Bionicle elements of water and ice.

~ :: Other :: ~

The Ambage :: The Adeptly Marvelous BZPower Authors' Guild Ensemble; a writers' club with the purpose of stimulating activity within the writing community on BZPower and bringing that community closer together. Join today! Midnight Voltage :: My blog, and a place for my ramblings, book reviews, and other things.The COT Stories Library :: A topic I started in the hopes of bringing more attention to COT stories -- post your stories there!The BZPRPG ~ Profiles :: I don't expect anyone to read through the BZPRPG, but I do write a bit there.Short Stories Critics Club :: A Critics Club I host dedicated to stimulate activity in the Library (and COT stories) and provide quality, in-depth reviews to members. Request your story to be reviewed today!Warm-Up: Flash Fiction Marathon ~ Bionicle Topic ~ COT Topic :: [Contest] A contest where the members were 55555 and I hosted 12 contests in 12 days, switching back and forth between Bionicle and COT from one day to another. Short Stories Contest #9: In The Darkness Bind Them :: [Contest] Hosted by 55555 and myself, the theme of the contest was to write a Bionicle/LOTR crossover story. Cot Short Stories Contest #2: The Christmas Connection :: [Contest] The first COT stories contest in years, Christmas themed, and hosted by 55555 and myself.Short Stories Contest #8: Title Twisters :: [Contest] The first Library contest hosted on the new forums, hosted by myself and 55555, where the theme was to write a story with the title of a Bionicle comic.

~ :: In The Works :: ~

~ :: Recommended Reading :: ~

At the moment, I will only be listing specific authors I enjoy reading from (in no particular order), but I will edit this list sometime to include links to specific stories.~ Tolkien~ Cederak~ ToM Dracone~ Nuju Metru~ Lady Kopaka~ Kagha~ Takuta-Nui~ Aderia~ Zarayna~ GSR~ Kal Grochi~ Nuile~ Grant-Sud~ 55555~ Rising Moon~ Tyler Durden~ bonesiii~ Tifosi 92~ Snoopy82~ Jedi Gali~ Legolover-361~ Ballom

~ :: Commentary :: ~

Before I go into anything else, I'd like to give credit to Cederak for the name The Shadowy Verge, and credit to Chrome who made that awesome image at the top of this post. I would also like to thank everyone on that "Recommended Reading" list (and I'm sure I've forgotten some people, as that has not been updated in some time), who have inspired me to write and have helped me immensly to become a better writer.For a longer list of my thanks, as well as how my "career" as a writer began, feel free to read through this (long) post [links to the forum archives].Comments are welcome either here or in the topics/blog entries.

Edited by Velox

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

A wonderful collection of stories you have hear, Velox. I consider Tahu in the Rain probably my favorite out of all of them, especially for the descriptions. Also, great to see my brother is still here story-wise, I appreciate your putting them here, seeing as he isn't around the site anymore.But, indeed, these are great stories, and it's great to see your still writing every now and then, despite your job as a staff-member now. Great job on these amazing stories, Velox. ^^(Also, meant to say thank-you for the in-depth review you and 55555 gave for my COT story. Thank you again. :))

Edited by Peach 00

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Tahu in the Rain was actually one of the first few short stories I had ever read on BZP. So it's pretty huge in my book. Also I can remember I'm Still Standing from the day I read it as well, it's done quite well. I should read more of your stories, so I'm glad you have all these collected together. Awesome story list man.

• 5 months later...

And I have finally updated my Library! Please take a look at the (especially newer) stories and comment in their topics. =]@ Peach 00 ~ Thanks, Peach! "Tahu in the Rain" is definitely one of my favorites as well, considering that it was, what I consider, my first "good" short story. And of course! I still remember loving everything that I read by your brother -- still hoping he comes back here sometime! @ Grant-Sud ~ Thanks a lot, man, I appreciate it! It means a lot to me that you still remember those stories and that they mean something to you. Thank you both again for your replies!newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender