Official Star Wars Topic

J46 Nui

No, but I've always wanted to just because.
Tie Fighter was such an amazing game... and what's funny is that the main character of the game actually appears again, I think during the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion. "Marek Steele", I think.

The Redwall RPG; closed now
Update: RPG has migrated to another location and merged with another. Update 3/29/14 Still Alive 8+ years
Credit to Supernova Productions and Expired! for the Avatar.

Apparently I'm now Kopaka?

No, but I've always wanted to just because.
Tie Fighter was such an amazing game... and what's funny is that the main character of the game actually appears again, I think during the Yuuzhan Vong Invasion. "Marek Steele", I think.
Jaden Korr (from Jedi Academy) reappears in the Legacy series, if briefly.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

What did everybody think of Saturday's episode. I did not think there was anything special about it, I was a rather basic and unmemorable battle episode. It has a lot to live up to after last season's Umbara arc.I was also annoyed that the CIS would send a battalion of droids and an AAT out into the dense jungle. It would take some time to move such a force across the terrain and they would fair relativity poorly against guerrilla war. They should have sent droid bombers and STAPs.It also seems a love quadrangle is in the works.EDIT: Darn, it seems I've killed this topic again.

Edited by that guy from that show

That is all

• 4 weeks later...

HUGE NEWS GUISEMany sites are reporting that Disney just acquired LucasFilm for a little over $4 billion.They plan on releasing Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015, following up with Episodes 8 and 9, so a movie every two to three years. George Lucas will be a creative consultant.

Edited by Erebus

jlovfkk.jpg

Interesting, if they do then I wonder what age the movies will be set in. There is the New Republic Era (happens immediately after Episode 6 and continues with the Galactic Civil War until the Empire is defeated by the New Republic), the Yuuzhan Vong War (the most massive war in star wars history), then there is the Legacy Era (which is about 40 years after Episode 6 to even 137 years), so many decisions.I hope Disney does not ruin it though.In other news, the MMO The Old Republic is now going to be Free to play. This is good because the idea of paying monthly for it was actually the reason I was not playing it to begin with. For the record, I was in the camp that thought that they should have made it a stand alone game, though I will probably buy it soon thanks to that.Anyone else into that era of star wars? (Specifically 5000 BBY to about The Old Republic Era).

Edited by Samhain

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

I guarantee they'll ignore the EU in favor of new stories. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing, though, as it really depends on how this film turns out. After all, they'll have to take into account the actors' ages. Mark Hammil won't be able to play a Vong-era Luke. A FOTJ Luke, more likely. But odds are they'll use new characters, maybe with some cameos. At the very least, a Grand Master Luke would be cool to see as a minor character. They could still cast Ben as a main character, I think.So much speculation involved in this... such an odd decision, too. At least Lucas won't be in charge and has been brought down as only a story consultant, so hopefully this'll get us at least TCW-quality.

Edited by Heisenberg

I'm going into this pessimistic so I can either be pleasantly surprised in 3 years or just "meh" about it.They're going to ignore the EU. And destroy everything about the novels that I've come to love. No Ben, no Jacen, no Corran, no Mara Jade Skywalker.And my inner nerd will shatter into a million tiny pieces, never to be restored again.(Or they could do things right, like how 343 Industries is handling the Halo franchies by working in the side novels as backstory to Halo 4... Nahhhh.)~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

....Well. There goes Star Wars.It was fun but this is not going to end well.

Edited by Basilisk

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

It's Disney. Star Wars...is primarily about wars in space.Disney is....not so great at the whole war thing. They'll likely ignore the EU completely, write out excellent characters and in general...well, the two things are not compatible. Disney-style family fun and an intricate EU that is already there?Anyone can tell how this is going to end,.

I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You are wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.

It's Disney. Star Wars...is primarily about wars in space.Disney is....not so great at the whole war thing. They'll likely ignore the EU completely, write out excellent characters and in general...well, the two things are not compatible. Disney-style family fun and an intricate EU that is already there?Anyone can tell how this is going to end,.
Or, they'll end up making an awesome movie....kinda like how Disney owns Marvel but still made the most awesome Avengers movie ever. It's gonna be finnnneee guys, they aren't stupid they'll make it good.

363513066_tobecont.png.5b057f495e0794e9450207c84546738e.png
My Bzprpg ProfilesGhosts of Bara Magna

Skyra | Hakari | Oceanna | Taleen | Arisaka | Zanakra | Kaminari | Drakkar

Pardon me if I'm very very skeptical about that. Comics have restarted their continuity so many times it doesn't matter anymore, they even have alternate continuities...which I think the movies are set in? I'm not overly familiar with that bit. Star Wars doesn't. It only has the one. If they screw up, the whole thing comes down.

Edited by Basilisk

Well, I won't pretend I know or care about anything related to the EU of star wars, I honestly don't know much about the storyline beyond the movies. And the majority of people that will watch this movie won't either. So I guess this kinda blows for you guys that are really into the EU but it doesn't really matter to me. :lol:

My point exactly. All the love and toil so many talented authors put into those books...swept aside due to a lack of knowledge or empathy on the part of the public.Lovely. Truly.

Edited by Basilisk

My point exactly. All the love and toil so many talented authors but into those books...swept aside due a lack of knowledge or empathy on the part of the public.Lovely. Truly.
Yep pretty much! Star Wars geeks everywhere are going to weep their hearts out as we speak! :D

....So the people who care about the shared universe and work of many authors are screwed yet again.And you take joy in this.

Because that hasn't already been done before by The Clone Wars and even the prequels.Your point about Star Wars having only one continuity makes no sense. Just because it has one continuity (which it technically doesn't, counting some what-if? style stories) doesn't mean one bad part of it is going to mess it all up. If that was the case, the continuity would've been ruined by the Holiday Special, those Ewok movies, the prequels, the crappier books and comics that have been released... I just don't understand your reasoning here.

It's Disney. Star Wars...is primarily about wars in space.Disney is....not so great at the whole war thing. They'll likely ignore the EU completely, write out excellent characters and in general...well, the two things are not compatible. Disney-style family fun and an intricate EU that is already there?
You're implying Star Wars wasn't originally a kid-friendly space fantasy film. Which it was. The only time it really dealt with war was in The Clone Wars related media and the EU.Saying that Disney will make Star Wars "Disney family fun" is ridiculous. If that was the case, The Avengers would've been like that, and we'd be expecting the same from Thor 2, CapAm 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers 2... it's just a silly idea altogether. It's not like everything Disney is involved with are kid-friendly family films, you know. Even Pirates of the Caribbean was pretty dark and hardly a kid's movie.Even being a Star Wars fan and a fan of the EU, I think it's ridiculous how seriously some people take this sort of thing. It's all just temporary canon and published fanfiction, really. And unless everyone is going to have a big hissy-fit like Karen Traviss did, I don't see this being a big deal overall.

Yes. Because caring about the decades of work someone put into something is clearly wrong.
Oh of course not! Nothing wrong with that at all! But I don't think that said movie is gonna ruin decades of work that easily, cause knowing Star Wars fans they'll just pretend it doesn't exist and go on reading their EU books.

I'm sad lucasfilm got swallowed by Disney...But I'm not sure that the movies will be bad, although I think it would be nice if people just left the two trilogies alone. Disney continuing it is like adding (insert something here) to the (insert religious text here)

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

Because that hasn't already been done before by The Clone Wars and even the prequels.
If you are refering to Zahn's recounting of the war with the Clone Masters, that was actually fully explained within the EU. As an uprising of Kaminon cloners against the Empire. All nice and neat.
Your point about Star Wars having only one continuity makes no sense. Just because it has one continuity (which it technically doesn't, counting some what-if? style stories) doesn't mean one bad part of it is going to mess it all up. If that was the case, the continuity would've been ruined by the Holiday Special, those Ewok movies, the prequels, the crappier books and comics that have been released... I just don't understand your reasoning here.
One-off what if stories aren't enough to count as an entire continuity last I checked. The Holiday Christmas special, with the exception of...maybe some of the technology used? Has been declared mostly non-canon last I checked. Star Wars has levels of canon that mostly filter out the ######. But because movies are the HIGHEST level of canon, this is going to be much more destructive.
You're implying Star Wars wasn't originally a kid-friendly space fantasy film. Which it was. The only time it really dealt with war was in The Clone Wars related media and the EU.
Somehow the first scene in IV must have thrown me off. You know, the skirmish with roughly...twenty or forty people dead? Real kid-friendly. As for war...well, the battle scenes and the secret weapon projects tell a different story.
Saying that Disney will make Star Wars "Disney family fun" is ridiculous. If that was the case, The Avengers would've been like that, and we'd be expecting the same from Thor 2, CapAm 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers 2... it's just a silly idea altogether. It's not like everything Disney is involved with are kid-friendly family films, you know. Even Pirates of the Caribbean was pretty dark and hardly a kid's movie.
Again, alternate univeres in the comic world will minimize the damage. The SW canon system works differently, comics can write off as an alternate universe, Star Wars simply can't. The Pirates didn't have any source material beyond a ride in the park. There was nothing to change, so really, your point there isn't valid.
Even being a Star Wars fan and a fan of the EU, I think it's ridiculous how seriously some people take this sort of thing. It's all just temporary canon and published fanfiction, really. And unless everyone is going to have a big hissy-fit like Karen Traviss did, I don't see this being a big deal overall.
Yes. Because caring about something and being a fan is so very outdated. Why wouldn't one want to see all those stories and characters you've read about and empathized with completely changed? What a novel experience it will be. Edited by Basilisk

HUGE NEWS GUISEMany sites are reporting that Disney just acquired LucasFilm for a little over $4 billion.They plan on releasing Star Wars Episode 7 in 2015, following up with Episodes 8 and 9, so a movie every two to three years. George Lucas will be a creative consultant.
... I'm not sure whether to be extremely excited or very terrified...But what are they going to make the movies on? The Thrawn Trilogy? Something else that hasn't been covered in any books? This could be either a really bad movie or a really good movie.

If you are refering to Zahn's recounting of the war with the Clone Masters, that was actually fully explained within the EU. As an uprising of Kaminon cloners against the Empire. All nice and neat.
Eh, no, I was referring to all those Clone Wars-era novels and comics, as well as the identities people gave Boba Fett (which were retconned, but still).
One-off what if stories aren't enough to count as an entire continuity last I checked. The Holiday Christmas special, with the exception of...maybe some of the technology used? Has been declared mostly non-canon last I checked. Star Wars has levels of canon that mostly filter out the ######. But because movies are the HIGHEST level of canon, this is going to be much more destructive.
I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here. Yes, there are levels of canon, but I don't see how that "filters out the ######". And yes, the movies are the HIGHEST level of canon, followed by the cartoons and TV shows, which is why the EU is generally overwritten by them.
Somehow the first scene in IV must have thrown me off. You know, the skirmish with roughly...twenty or forty people dead? Real kid-friendly. As for war...well, the battle scenes and the secret weapon projects tell a different story.
Yeah, those people no one cares about just falling over after being hit by some lasers. That's quite the violent, gritty depticion of war. Disney has had more realistic depictions of a war in their movies than we've seen in the Star Wars films, at least.
Again, alternate univeres in the comic world will minimize the damage. The SW canon system works differently, comics can write off as an alternate universe, Star Wars simply can't. The Pirates didn't have any source material beyond a ride in the park. There was nothing to change, so really, your point there isn't valid.
I don't understand this, either. Alternate universes? That's completely irrelevant when I'm talking about the quality and so-called "Disneyfication" of the Marvel movies. You missed my point with Pirates, too. I never said anything about source material; I was talking about the dark themes and elements the film had that could serve as a reference point to how family-friendly Disney films can be.
Yes. Because caring about something and being a fan is so very outdated. Why wouldn't one want to see all those stories and characters you've read about and empathized with completely changed? What a novel experience it will be.
Okay, cool. Just ignore the movies and keep reading the books if it really affects you this much.Your argument seems a little misguided, but beyond that, I just don't have as much care for the EU as you do. There's nothing wrong with you feeling that way, I'm just trying to say that Disney's takeover is not going to make the franchise any worse about the EU than it is now.

Your point about Star Wars having only one continuity makes no sense. Just because it has one continuity (which it technically doesn't, counting some what-if? style stories) doesn't mean one bad part of it is going to mess it all up. If that was the case, the continuity would've been ruined by the Holiday Special, those Ewok movies, the prequels, the crappier books and comics that have been released... I just don't understand your reasoning here.
I imagine these movies will be most successful if they are set after the original trilogy. The movies are G-Canon, The television show is T-canon while most literature is ranked C-canon. The ###### you mentioned would be the S-canon is is disregarded anyway. My concern would be the lose of such classic works as the Zahn books and the X-wing series. I do think that the Thrawn trilogy would lend itself well to the big screen and I think Disney might hold more respect to the EU then Lucus did. Unlike him, I can see movie versions of books coming from Disney.
You're implying Star Wars wasn't originally a kid-friendly space fantasy film. Which it was. The only time it really dealt with war was in The Clone Wars related media and the EU.
Episode V was a very dark movie. The Empire pawns the rebels on Hoth, Han Solo is taken by Boba Fett and Luke looses his hand. Episode VI was originally meant to be dark too. Han Solo would have died and the Millennium Falcon would have been destroyed. George Lucus changed his mind when he realized he could make money with Ewoks and as a result the movies become more whimsical.Saying the movie was made for kids is a pour excuse and Lucus has been using it to cover up all the negativity over the years. If it was really designed for children why does episode I include talks about taxation and boring bureaucracy?
Saying that Disney will make Star Wars "Disney family fun" is ridiculous. If that was the case, The Avengers would've been like that, and we'd be expecting the same from Thor 2, CapAm 2, Guardians of the Galaxy, Avengers 2... it's just a silly idea altogether. It's not like everything Disney is involved with are kid-friendly family films, you know. Even Pirates of the Caribbean was pretty dark and hardly a kid's movie.
Just like Marvel, LucusArts would still maintain some level of control. What's good here is that someone will be around to question George Lucus. The problem with the Prequels was that his staff was crewed entirely by "Yes men," George needs more people around to question his choices. When he is treated like an infallible entity the movies suffer. Now, he will have someone to answer to and provide some necessary pressure.
Even being a Star Wars fan and a fan of the EU, I think it's ridiculous how seriously some people take this sort of thing. It's all just temporary canon and published fanfiction, really. And unless everyone is going to have a big hissy-fit like Karen Traviss did, I don't see this being a big deal overall.
Yes. Because caring about something and being a fan is so very outdated. Why wouldn't one want to see all those stories and characters you've read about and empathized with completely changed? What a novel experience it will be.
I really would like to see movies of the books. Like I said, the Thrawn trilogy would lend itself very well to movies. Unlike George, Disney cares what the fans think and I bet they will show more respect to the wonderful expanded universe then he has. Lucus needs to step down from his pedestal, I think Disney will do what's right and not just be arrogant narcissist that George has been acting like lately. I'm actually existed. As long as Lucus does not have the right word I think these have incredible potential. I do hope that the EU won't just be thrown out and I prey Disney can learn to appreciate it.

That is all

Eh, no, I was referring to all those Clone Wars-era novels and comics, as well as the identities people gave Boba Fett (which were retconned, but still).
Those were actually integrated into the story as falsehoods started by Fett himself, to throw off any trackers. It's consistent with his character at least.
I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here. Yes, there are levels of canon, but I don't see how that "filters out the ######". And yes, the movies are the HIGHEST level of canon, followed by the cartoons and TV shows, which is why the EU is generally overwritten by them.
The...sillier stuff tends to be filtered out or minimized because of it. A quick visit to the wiki can make this apparent. The made for TV-movie never claimed to be Episode 7, the prequel trilogy and such as are higher level stuff, but the made-for-tv stuff is, generally, quietly edited out. Like the Christmas stuff. The recent Clone Wars series and their relative lack of silliness (military tactics aside-Napoleonic line formations? Really?) is the exception. Likely due to comparative respect for canon and high production values. Note I said comparative. There are a lot of people that are upset by that show.
Yeah, those people no one cares about just falling over after being hit by some lasers. That's quite the violent, gritty depticion of war. Disney has had more realistic depictions of a war in their movies than we've seen in the Star Wars films, at least.
It is still war. The screams and wounds generally support that thesis. It's not exactly something you'd show a young child.....Would examples to quantify your statement on that be to much to ask for? Because the Pirates series is just as bad really.
I don't understand this, either. Alternate universes? That's completely irrelevant when I'm talking about the quality and so-called "Disneyfication" of the Marvel movies. You missed my point with Pirates, too. I never said anything about source material; I was talking about the dark themes and elements the film had that could serve as a reference point to how family-friendly Disney films can be.
I don't even understand what you are saying here. The second part, I'm objecting to the lack of respect they'll likely show the EU. Not their tone. Disney shows some skirmishes, but last I checked they had no massive massive fleet battles. The East Indian fleet turned away the second the flagship died. Which is....well, I think that speaks for itself on the tactical level and not in the good way.
Okay, cool. Just ignore the movies and keep reading the books if it really affects you this muck.
That is relatively hard to do when it'll permeate everything and effect the books. An official "Episode 7" can hardly do anything but.Goodbye Admiral Thrawn. Nice knowing you.

I am not sure how to feel about this news. I think I'll be cautiously optimistic, and I hope that the new movies will draw from the EU instead of replacing it. Maybe we will even get movies that don't focus on the Skywalkers. Who knows, maybe the new people running things will have more respect for the EU than Lucas had.

Edited by J46 Nui

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

So here's a bit of new news about it:

The first bit of news is that Disney are buying treatments for the next 3 movies."We’re going to concentrate on the Star wars franchise. What we’re buying… is a pretty extensive & detailed treatment for the next 3 movies."This means that Disney are buying an already existing treatment from Lucasfilm. It will be interesting to see if these were scribed by Lucas himself or if they were from a new writer, and if so, who that write is. Lucas only has a minor role now in the future installments, but if these are his stories, then his special influence may be felt for a little while longer.
So it sounds like there were already pretty substantial plans for another trilogy of films.

So many negative response throughout the internet about it...It strongly reminds me of when Star Trek was rebooted in 2009 by JJ Abrams etc.And that movie turned out well enough, lol.

~Avatar's original image was made by the incomparable Egophiliac.~

~Electronic Manic Supersonic Bionic Energy~

f9Qcky7.png

~"If I am afraid of criticism, I won't be able to challenge anything new." - BoA~

Fans raged in exactly the same way when Disney bought Marvel. There was endless speculation about various superheroes teaming up with Mickey Mouse in their comics, or appearing in Disney movies, or being generally toned down to appeal to the same audience children's cartoons are made for.And then, to the surprise of everyone who does not understand that the people in charge of Disney actually understand business, none of that happened.So, forgive me if I'm not going to assume that Disney will turn Star Wars into some whimsical children's film and completely write over Thrawn, while bringing in Phil Collins to do the soundtrack (I was going to say Danny Elfman, but Oingo Boingo is objectively awesome). That's George Lucas' job. What Disney is going to do is keep one of its thousands of eyes on the usual Lucasfilm team, and then sit back while people who know what they're doing handle things.As for using the original actors... eh. It's been too long for that to be a practical option. I just hope the story of it doesn't follow the Skywalker family all that closely, because the whole lot of them are magnets for all the stupidity the galaxy has to offer. If George Lucas entered the Star Wars galaxy, his ideas on Neimoidians alone would cause him to fly straight at the nearest Skywalker.On the other hand, if we're very lucky, Disney may somehow hoover Joss Whedon into this.

Edited by Ymper Trymon

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I'm not afraid of it being Disney. I know how they treated Marvel and I'm sure it'll be the same here.In fact, the movie treatement exited from before they bought LucasFilm.It's the mere announcment of Episode 7 itself that has me worried for how messed up the canon could get.Oh, and Whedon will be working on Avengers 2, he's not available. ~|ET|~

Edited by Electric Turahk

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

:kaukau: I would not ship Joss Whedon as a Star Wars director. He has a style that's too distinctly not Star Wars. I appreciate some of his talents, but I don't absolutely love him. Or Christopher Nolan, for that matter, so shoot me. What I would like to see would be someone from Lucasfilms do the directing and maybe someone like John Lasseter do the executive producing, because the Star Wars franchise has a distinct retro style that's held constant over all six existing films.and as Electric Tuhrak said, it's not so much Disney that concerns me so much as the mere announcement of an Episode VII. Seriously, for years this was mentioned only as a joke. I always equated it with the chances of pulling off a Titanic 2. Impossible.

Edited by Jean Valjean

Disney buys Star Wars? Meh, Disney owns freaking everything at this point. . .Episode 7? Without Lucas as director or any other major position? Which mean we might actually get good movies instead of just okay-to-average ones? YES!
...I liked Lucas...

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

He's a good idea person, but it's best if you get other people to do things like the actual directing and writing.
For directing, yeah, but Lucas INVENTED star wars, for crying out loud.