The Worst Part Of Bionicle

As much as I thought the explainations for things could get interesting, I think the story removed too much of the mystical elements that us older fans got so used to in the years on Mata Nui (the island). Even though I still liked the story, I would have preferred some of the mystical elements remaining.

Divinator of Dreams.
4hcuu9.jpg
This Is Proud Stigma.

The giant robot fight was great, but I wish they could have dreamed up a better ending for it than a chunk of rock taking out one of the greatest villains of all time.

I remember Greg saying that they originally intended for Mata Nui to split open Teridax's chest and free the Matoran from the outside, but that was deemed too gruesome.As for me, I believe that the worst part of Bionicle is right now. There are just so many loose threads to be tied up, but that doesn't seem likely to happen anytime soon. It's even worse considering that we were just at the advent of a series of major revelations. As best I can recall, we still don't know: the Great Being's identity, the green cloud's identity, the identity of Tren Krom's/Karzahni's killer, the resolution to the Marendar/Red Star plots, or the fates of the Toa Mahri, Lewa, The Shadowed One, Lesovikk, or the group inside the GB Fortress, and on a lesser note, we still don't know Takanuva's or Krakua's destinies, but we do know that they are important. I mean, I understand that Greg is really busy/doesn't really have any conrete obligation to finish the story, but if we can't get a resolution to these plotlines in-story, then at the very least I'd be happy to receive maybe an in-depth, canon treatment that would sum up the endings of all of these plots.
coolbroban.png
| Sig Credit: - Everclear - |

My least favorite years were 2004 and 2005. I guess it was just a bit strange going back in time and the forward in time throughout the course of two years, and then starting back up with different Toa...

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I'd say it was in 2005, when Vakama turns back to good.Matau: "We've got a job to do! A duty!"Vakama: "...the matoran!!"That's like Obi-wan saying "Anakin, Palpatine is evil!!" and Anakin going "Oh...I guess so. Let's go fight him, buddy!"

Onuarock.PNG

I had quite a problem with all the ham-fisted "oh no this guy was alive all along, we just made you think they were dead!" stuff we got around the end, especially since the characters who were given that treatment didn't seem to play much part in the story. It was people being revived for the sake of being revived, and I didn't like it one bit.

hopelessly drifting, bathing in beautiful agony

• 3 weeks later...

I say that the entire 2006 storyline, minus the chamber of life, was a fail. the piraka really disappointed me. I would have liked them a lot better if their faces looked like the Bionicle Stars Piraka, even though that Skakdi wasn't really a Piraka. I also absolutely hated Bionicle 2009. I think they would have been better off making sets from Teridax's reign of shadows. The Glatorians didn't make sense until Mata Nui poofed in that sand dune.

The_Brotherhood_of_Makuta_by_Arzeron.jpg

Comply. Create. Consume.

In my opinion, one of the biggest mistakes was the overuse of some old characters. A good example is the Toa Inika. They are characters we already know for a long time, and they becoming Toa was a bit boring. It would be nice if in the year 2006, were presented in a new island (still in the Matoran universe), with new toa, new turaga, and new Matoran, and a story like that of 2001. Only in 2007 these new Matoran would become toa and would go to Voya Nui to seek the Mask of Light.Another mistake was the lack of creativity in creating new set pieces(this is in my opinion what definitely "killed" Bionicle).I have many other mistakes, but i think i will just indicate these ones. tounge2.gif

The Voya Nui and Mahri Nui sagas got to be kinda gloomy/depressing. Other than that, definitely the whole part where it ended permanently. :/

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Three of my favorite characters being killed:Tren Krom (one does not simply kill Tren Krom, Greg)Vezon (the bionicle wiki says he was killed by the Mahri after Teridax's death, but I can't find any details)And Zatkan (unless he was the still-unexplained green cloud that went into the Golden-Skinned Being).What's even worse is that we still don't know who killed Tren Krom, so I can't have my characters avenge him or anything. tounge2.gifAt least Greg brought back Mavrah (for all of five measly paragraphs).

The giant robot fight was great, but I wish they could have dreamed up a better ending for it than a chunk of rock taking out one of the greatest villains of all time.
I remember Greg saying that they originally intended for Mata Nui to split open Teridax's chest and free the Matoran from the outside, but that was deemed too gruesome.
That would have been such a great move. Gruesome? They're giant robots. The most gruesome it could get is a load of energy flying out. The fact that they didn't is now in my opinion the worst part. Just imagine, he frees everyone, then a few remain inside and attack key places in Teridax, and finally, Mata Nui is able to use his full power to tear Teridax limb from limb and crush his head underfoot.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I got into BIONICLE too late to have experienced anything before the 2006 story, but I do remember thinking the 2008 ending was brilliant. Then came Bara Magna out of absolutely nowhere, along with the irredeemably corny Legend Reborn and "Beware my stinger tail!" That was a hugely crushing disappointment to me.

I ain't creative

So I use my signature

For other folks' stuff

(That was a haiku, and this is another one. Haikus are easy.)

500px-ITDlogo.jpg

I got into BIONICLE too late to have experienced anything before the 2006 story, but I do remember thinking the 2008 ending was brilliant. Then came Bara Magna out of absolutely nowhere, along with the irredeemably corny Legend Reborn and "Beware my stinger tail!" That was a hugely crushing disappointment to me.
I'm going to be completely honest: as somebody who has also been exposed to the storyline and lore of BIONICLE late (around 2006), and as somebody who does not consider the first three movies to hold any nostalgia, they were just as bad. From Vakama's "I've got a plan!" to Whenua's "That's what friends do!" to the general awkward appearance of every character (yeah, I get they were trying to make them look more "biomechanical," but seriously), I honestly think the first three movies were no better than TLR.That's just my opinion, anyway.But yeah, the four movies are what I would consider to be the worst part of BIONICLE.

I think most of the story issues lie in the fact that the serials are basically Greg's fanfiction. He had a ton of ideas that he really wanted to write about, which he did and rushed out without really thinking them through. So then Bionicle ended with a third of the plot points wrapped up in stupid, disappointing ways and the rest still out there with no resolution. He also dug himself into a hole by planning out a huge and ambitious story that was way too much for the toyline and target audience, a lot of which contributed to the lack of interest and the line's death.The final battle was hilariously stupid, as well. Imagine how awesome a visual the proposed "Mata Nui tears Teridax's chest open and frees the Matoran" idea would have been? Mata Nui rips a hole in the robot, and there you see a bunch of islands in a sea. But then you've got the scale which makes the scene stupid in another way, but at least it'd look cool.Oh, and the sets kinda sucked from 2008-on, considering most of them were the exact same design that had been in use for three years. I'm sure that impacted sales, as well.

I'm going to be completely honest: as somebody who has also been exposed to the storyline and lore of BIONICLE late (around 2006), and as somebody who does not consider the first three movies to hold any nostalgia, they were just as bad. From Vakama's "I've got a plan!" to Whenua's "That's what friends do!" to the general awkward appearance of every character (yeah, I get they were trying to make them look more "biomechanical," but seriously), I honestly think the first three movies were no better than TLR.
That's true, but TLR came off the heels of what I saw as an amazing ending, which just made it seem worse in comparison. I stopped caring after "Beware my stinger tail!" and "It's just a skin wound." I started caring again when I saw that the story was ending, but the final battle was so clumsily done that I decided to disregard everything in the canon after Mata Nui's exile that wasn't an online serial.

I ain't creative

So I use my signature

For other folks' stuff

(That was a haiku, and this is another one. Haikus are easy.)

500px-ITDlogo.jpg

I'm going to be completely honest: as somebody who has also been exposed to the storyline and lore of BIONICLE late (around 2006), and as somebody who does not consider the first three movies to hold any nostalgia, they were just as bad. From Vakama's "I've got a plan!" to Whenua's "That's what friends do!" to the general awkward appearance of every character (yeah, I get they were trying to make them look more "biomechanical," but seriously), I honestly think the first three movies were no better than TLR.
That's true, but TLR came off the heels of what I saw as an amazing ending, which just made it seem worse in comparison. I stopped caring after "Beware my stinger tail!" and "It's just a skin wound." I started caring again when I saw that the story was ending, but the final battle was so clumsily done that I decided to disregard everything in the canon after Mata Nui's exile that wasn't an online serial.
I get you. It was such a climactic ending to have the Great Spirit fly away into space in exile, but then he soon lands on Bara Magna and starts having a conversation with an insect...Yeah, I think the biggest problem with the final battle was that they didn't really convey the sheer size of the two robots well enough. Especially in the comic. :P

I remember Greg saying that they originally intended for Mata Nui to split open Teridax's chest and free the Matoran from the outside, but that was deemed too gruesome.
That would have been such a great move. Gruesome? They're giant robots. The most gruesome it could get is a load of energy flying out.The fact that they didn't is now in my opinion the worst part. Just imagine, he frees everyone, then a few remain inside and attack key places in Teridax, and finally, Mata Nui is able to use his full power to tear Teridax limb from limb and crush his head underfoot.
And that isn't gruesome? In addition, it would be sorely unrealistic (I don't think that the Mata Nui prototype robot could even do that), plus it would give Makuta time to escape the robot's head and possibly survive, and they were going for absolute dead.Not to mention, what would the Glatorian think? This guy who proved himself a hero and honorable is ripping robot chests open and dismembering his opponent? That's probably against all arena fighting rules, and that's what these people have known as "rules of warfare" for 100,000 years. Are the Glatorian going to accept him or his people after that? No. I think the creators of Bionicle wanted a peaceful, happy ending.

Not to mention, what would the Glatorian think? This guy who proved himself a hero and honorable is ripping robot chests open and dismembering his opponent? That's probably against all arena fighting rules, and that's what these people have known as "rules of warfare" for 100,000 years. Are the Glatorian going to accept him or his people after that? No.I think the creators of Bionicle wanted a peaceful, happy ending.
Yes, and nothing is quite so peaceful and happy as smashing someone's head into a planet. I think the current ending was great. Plus, we do need to remember that Mata Nui was significantly weaker than Makuta. It nearly killed him to push Makuta up into the moon/planet, as I remember. And if he ever took the time to accurately describe the kind of dictator that Makuta was, combined with the atrocities inevitably committed by the Rahkshi and Skakdi, the Glatorian would have probably been okay with him tearing open his chest, but Mata Nui probably wouldn't have torn him limb from limb. But really, if Mata Nui got close enough to Makuta for more than the second it took to shove him, Makuta probably would have been able to tear off his head or something.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

If they attacked the spirit chamber directly, it would at least stun or shock Makuta enough for that.I believe that in a final battle. the heroes must do the work, and not the heroes' luck. Plus, Makuta dying at Mata Nui's hand is only fitting.
I tend to believe the planet-to-the-head thing as more Mata Nui shoving Makuta into it. Not luck.

If they attacked the spirit chamber directly, it would at least stun or shock Makuta enough for that.I believe that in a final battle. the heroes must do the work, and not the heroes' luck. Plus, Makuta dying at Mata Nui's hand is only fitting.
I tend to believe the planet-to-the-head thing as more Mata Nui shoving Makuta into it. Not luck.
And it was luck that Makuta entirely by accident (And not even as the direct, but indirect result of his moral depravity) had the moon fragment fly in right there where Mata Nui could do that.I still like my ending better. Despite violence level, it's a final battle. They ought to step it up a bit, just one time.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

And it was luck that Makuta entirely by accident (And not even as the direct, but indirect result of his moral depravity) had the moon fragment fly in right there where Mata Nui could do that.I still like my ending better. Despite violence level, it's a final battle. They ought to step it up a bit, just one time.
It's only logical that the moon would pass by eventually. Mata Nui could have bashed him into a few seconds earlier or later IMO. To each his own. :) I'm the kid who wrote out the ending as the Toa beating Makuta from within, instead of the lame "Mata Nui suddenly gets a ton of battle experience offstage and smashes Makuta." Actually, that makes me think a bit - neither Mata Nui nor Makuta had great amounts of experiance controlling a giant robot (well, Mata Nui did, but he had forgotten it, unless the memory restore thing gave it all back)...*mind goes off topic*

Well, he did gain something from the Glatorian arc then. :PJokes aside, he was indeed more experienced, and that's why he stood a chance. My ending was a combination of the Toa beat Makuta from the inside thing and the Mata Nui tears Makuta apart--literally. He could not accomplish the latter, unless the Toa accomplished the former.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Well, he did gain something from the Glatorian arc then. :PJokes aside, he was indeed more experienced, and that's why he stood a chance. My ending was a combination of the Toa beat Makuta from the inside thing and the Mata Nui tears Makuta apart--literally. He could not accomplish the latter, unless the Toa accomplished the former.
Once Makuta is busted (killed) by the Toa, why tear the robot apart? That only harms innocent civilians and accomplishes nothing - in fact, destroying a perfectly good giant robot model.

I meant they weaken him, but only Mata Nui has the physical strength to kill him. (And of course, must cause sufficient shock, like that of dismemberment, to keep him from escaping the body.) I thought he already evacuated everyone. By causing huge gashes and tearing open his chest, remember? Plus he could throw in a good line, something about Makuta being emptied out and him no longer having to worry about the Matoran (since they're out), no fear because of that, etc.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

The Golden Armor, the Piraka Rap, all the deus ex machina introduced in '10, and lastly the fact that there are still quite a few loose ends.

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

I meant they weaken him, but only Mata Nui has the physical strength to kill him. (And of course, must cause sufficient shock, like that of dismemberment, to keep him from escaping the body.)I thought he already evacuated everyone. By causing huge gashes and tearing open his chest, remember?Plus he could throw in a good line, something about Makuta being emptied out and him no longer having to worry about the Matoran (since they're out), no fear because of that, etc.
Matoran/Toa escaping a standing robot through a giant hole? That only works for Gukko birds and Toa with Kadlin and Toa of Air. And once you've knocked over the robot on land and allowed the inhabitants time to escape, you've given time for Makuta to escape, too. Unless the Toa have weakened him so much that doesn't happen, but how would they do that? Destroy/weaken him will he's still in the body, and you've wrecked the entire universe. (That's Helryx's view of the matter, but still.) Once he's out, he could probably be defeated, if any beings could find him.

The Golden Armor, the Piraka Rap, all the deus ex machina introduced in '10, and lastly the fact that there are still quite a few loose ends.
True. The ending wasn't bad, but due to the quick nature in which Lego had to close the line, it did seem to be kind of a cop-out.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

I meant they weaken him, but only Mata Nui has the physical strength to kill him. (And of course, must cause sufficient shock, like that of dismemberment, to keep him from escaping the body.)I thought he already evacuated everyone. By causing huge gashes and tearing open his chest, remember?Plus he could throw in a good line, something about Makuta being emptied out and him no longer having to worry about the Matoran (since they're out), no fear because of that, etc.
Matoran/Toa escaping a standing robot through a giant hole? That only works for Gukko birds and Toa with Kadlin and Toa of Air.And once you've knocked over the robot on land and allowed the inhabitants time to escape, you've given time for Makuta to escape, too. Unless the Toa have weakened him so much that doesn't happen, but how would they do that? Destroy/weaken him will he's still in the body, and you've wrecked the entire universe. (That's Helryx's view of the matter, but still.) Once he's out, he could probably be defeated, if any beings could find him.
That's why I said he could cut some gashes, maybe even take a rock formation and stab Teridax in the foot. Flying beings could help those unable to fly. And of course, if a distraction is needed, he can always slap Teridax repeatedly with a mountain. I'm not talking about strategy. And the moon ending could have injured EVERYONE in Metru Nui, maybe even killed them. I'm talking about a good ending.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

I personally think the ending with Teridax getting hit by the moon chunk is fine. I'm not sure why everyone seems so unsatisfied with it. If you think about it, it's perfect. Teridax's essence is behind Metru Nui, near the backside of the head. Since the fragment struck the back of his head, it completely wiped him out without completely damaging Metru Nui.Though in my own head-canon, I like to think it was the entire moon that hit him like in the Mata Nui Saga, and not just a small chunk.