Tampered Sets

Dralcax

So today I got the Ninjago Destiny's Bounty set. But much to my dismay, Bag #1 was missing! Upon closer inspection, I realized that the the tape I had cut was not the Lego tape with the black squares, that tape was already cut. Someone had gone and sealed it back up with regular box tape. Has anything like this happened to you?

Edited by Chaos Dralcax

aouROFb.png

Actualy,it was about to. Back in 2009,I wanted to buy a $50 star wars set,but then,upon closer inspection,I saw that someone opened the box up and didn't do a pretty good job of covering up,because tape was loosely put on,and I opened the box,and all I saw was the already opened bags and the instructions. I showed it to one of the workers. Then,I went back to the LEGo aisle and got a complete set.

Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!

This Christmas, I asked for Furno 3.0. And got him alright. At first everything was like "COOL STUFF" but then I saw the top. I noticed the bottom was not aligned with the cap. Upon further inspection, I found that the entire set was already built inside the canister. For real. The cap had been lazily put back with the sticker all crumpled (not to mention facing the wrong way). I told my parents and they had no clue what had happened.I can only assume some little kid had gotten ahold of it, removed the top, built it, and the parent was like "OH GOD TIMMY PUT THAT BACK RIGHT NOW" :P

Edited by Daiker

doom4revalt.png

I've never bought a tampered set by accident but I had found an opened Ogel's Killer Whale set from Alpha Team. The whale was built and left on the shelf. It was missing some parts. I was able to buy it at half its price.

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

Once, sort of. I was just looking for some Collectible Minifigures, and I found a shelf with a CM bag, but it was ripped open and a couple accessories were laying around. The actual minifigure was gone.That's pretty much it, but I always keep a lookout for stuff like this.

overlordsukapon.png

I'm still not sure exactly what happened, but about half the parts from my Piraka Stronghold playset were missing. It took a few special orders from LEGO to get the replacement parts.To this day, I'm not sure if it was the result of deliberate tampering or if LEGO's assembly line had a massive collective brain fart. I didn't check close enough to see if it was tampered with because I was like only ten years old and was too concerned with the accuracy of the serial numbers for the missing parts that my dad was tediously providing to the LEGO customer service person over the phone.

Edited by Sumiki

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Yes, and boy was it annoying.In summer 2011 I was on holiday in Montreal in a toy/book store. I noticed a Lego Star Wars Republic Attack Shuttle, which I wanted to get for a long time. I didn't see anything wrong with it, so I went up to the cash to buy it. There the woman said it's 30$ off, but didn't say why. I was really happy, until I opened the box. At least two bags of pieces were missing. Upon closer inspection I saw that the box had been opened from the bottom and later taped shut, but It wasn't something you'd notice right away when you're in a hurry. I noticed this right after I opened the box, so luckily I was able to return it to the store.I later got the shuttle with all the pieces from an internet store, though.

517px-Clone_Wars_-_Season_5_Trailer_2_-_

I remember that when I was going to buy Vezok, the only one in the store was already opened, so I went to another store. I´m pretty sure I´ve found other opened sets in the past, but I can´t remember them.-Gata signoff.jpg

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

This is an unsettling trend that has been occuring more and more recently. Someone buys a set , takes out the minifigs/other valueable parts, and returns it. It's especially common with Star Wars sets.There was one instance where this happened to me. I got a Dwarfs' Mine back when they came out. It was missing bag five. Unfortunetly, I did not build the set, rather useing it for parts, so I didn't realize it was gone until it was far to late to do any thing about it.

I've never really really gotten a "tampered" set. I have often bought tons of sets with damaged boxes for discounted price, the best deal being a Taj Mahal set at only $100 bucks instead of $300 at the LEGO store in Potomac Mills, Woodbridge, Virginia during BrickFair 2009. I've also had missing pieces or pieces that weren't supposed to be in the set, most notably when I bought the BIONICLE set "Umbra" which I found to be missing one shoulder armor piece and instead having a 1x4 red LEGO brick.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

There was a Collectible Gladiator whose bag was torn open. I considered buying it, but I opted for the surprise of an unopened one. I wound up with the Dinosaur Guy. There was also a smallish set with its thumb tab thing pushed in, but not completely opened. And then Thornatus V9, which was half-price due to the box being more or less obliterated. Not sure if it was opened or not, but it looked like the box had been sat on, then run over by a cart.

Edited by Great Mask Of Armor

Comics coming eventually: The Bionicles Try to Run A House

Upcoming MOCs: Sir Lesovikk, New Tokotoru.

Current MOCs: ROTF Ravage.

Dead MOCs: The Tokotoru, this fire monster, this turtle.

This topic. Love it and cherish it. Do it for the lulz.

My original Jimi Stringer was still sealed perfectly, but for some reason contained two arm sonic cannon things and no breastplate. Epic fail for whoever was packing that. Another time I got a (again, unopened) Crystal Sweeper that contained a Sulfurix in addition to the Meltrox and Glaciator it was supposd to have. Lucky me, I guess. :D

I've never had the misfortune of purchasing such a set. The closest example I have would be my original Hogwarts castle, which seemed to be missing a few important pieces. I know it wasn't through tampering, however. I've seen plenty of examples of it, though. Boxes have been literally torn open and just left sitting there.Then, of course, there's the literally countless empty Kanohi and Kraata packs from back in the day.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Back in 2006, my dad took me to Wal-mart to buy me the Irnakk set for my birthday, and I remember seeing a open Thok set on the shelf nearby.

[size=4][color=#FF0000][color=#000000]Formerly known as ROTF Devastator[/color][/color][/size]
Kittiez sigpet made by Mr Nebby
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/vakama18/Stuff/shockwave_sig.jpg[/img][img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Nrdy/Kittiez/W1/tabby.png[/img]

Hm...I had a piece missing on a Space Police set and recently in my Earth Dragon set (luckly it was missing on the platform of grass and not on the dragon itself)...but I REALLY doubt that was tampering.After Black Friday, though, me and my little brother HewkiiFan journeyed to the LEGO isle...we were shocked at all the sets ripped open and torn. We decided to give Wal-Mart a hand and clean it all up. All throughout cleaning, though, one thought was on my mind: How could people do this to LEGO sets...?

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
I might eat you if you get too close >:3

• 2 weeks later...

Once, sort of. I was just looking for some Collectible Minifigures, and I found a shelf with a CM bag, but it was ripped open and a couple accessories were laying around. The actual minifigure was gone.That's pretty much it, but I always keep a lookout for stuff like this.

that always makes me mad.once, i was at TRU to get a beyblade, and lo and behold, 3 opened series 4 packets hidden behind a display.scientist, werewolf and frankenstein is i remember correctlytook them up to the counter, explained where i found them, then asked if i could but them because i wasn't too god at packet-feeling back then.(2 crash test dummies proves it)the dude behind the register said i couldn't :(and at my local B&N, there's this one really nice employee who always comes up to me and asks which figure i'm looking for.and she always says how it's good that i only feel the packets, because they often find opened packs :(

so...this is...my sig...

i'll put some stuff here soon...

don't really know why i'm typing this...

i'm so pathetic...

it's bulk 3.0 time!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Ehthak/HFChibis/bulk3.0.swf

props to Xidash for the sig, got it from the epig sigpet shop!

Once, in the clearance isle, I say an inpulse buy Kingdoms set already opened. I checked, though, and it had all the pieces, but was marked down to $1. I got it. Another time I say this big $50 city set opened with the parts just sitting loose in the box. I reported it and they took it to the back. They wouldn't give a discount on it, though. Walmart is always stingy with their discounts.

42687538174_213a004f2f.jpg

Even though it's annoying to find tampered packages, let alone to buy one by mistake, I always feel lucky when I find some LEGO pieces on the floor of a store. :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Even though it's annoying to find tampered packages, let alone to buy one by mistake, I always feel lucky when I find some LEGO pieces on the floor of a store. :P

Don't we all?

My first (and currently ONLY) MOC on BZP! >

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=5426

PLAGUE

14780599_c638_625x625.jpg

Avatar pic taken [and edited] by me. DON"T STEAL IT!

:P

Yes, it is awesome when that happens.

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

Yes, it is awesome when that happens.
Yep.

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

I remember walking around Wal*mart getting some groceries, and I past this one aisle where they had those Lego Star wars movie things? The movie that came with the collectible Anakin Skywalker minifigure or something. Well I went to take a look at it and almost all of the boxes were torn where the minifigure would be and all the minifigures were stolen. I myself have never bought a tampered set but I do see quite often a lot of them.~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

I was lucky enough to find a Green Ninja hood on the floor of a store one time.. It seriously made my day.

I was lucky enough to find a Green Ninja hood on the floor of a store one time.. It seriously made my day.
I once found a Meltdown tentacle on the floor. That was seriously awesome.

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

It's not an uncommon happening. I've bought perhaps one tampered set, which was a BIONICLE set, not LEGO. I'm pretty sure it was Matau Metru, he was about $6 at a Toys-R-Us, and it had an open top. It was the last one, and none of the pieces were stolen, so I bought it anyway because there was no damage to the canister itself or to the pieces. It is annoying to find, this, though, definitely irritating. =/

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

One time, I wanted to buy a Collectible Minifigure and I was feeling all the bags for a certain one. I found the one I wanted in a ripped bag. I put it back and picked another one.I GOT THE MECHANIC, DANGIT!!!!!Oh, and another time, I wanted that Star Wars Minifigure Encyclopedia and got it cheap at Wal-Mart, figure and all. Next, we went to the nearby Costco for groceries. We saw the same book with many more copies. All lacked a Han Solo Minifigure. They were obviously stolen.

Edited by Kreos

mindeth the cobwebs