Formatting Issues

WVUFan!

For all my posts, my first thing is to select Comic Sans MS as my font, then a blue color. While typing posts, I always get the same two issues.picture_3.pngI'll just be making a normal post, when I notice a spelling mistake on the second line. However, when I try to backspace it:picture_4.pngBackspacing once usually causes the line to go to the beginning, causing the entire line of text to go up, instead of deleting one letter.picture_5.pngNow I have a finished post. Then I try to select "Post Reply."picture_6.pngThen this happens. Most the text isn't in the Comic Sans MS font I selected, and sometimes not even blue. The only way to correct it is just to edit it. Is there anyway to fix this and is anyone else having this problem? I am a Google Chrome user on a Mac OSX if that has anything to do with it.

Edited by WVUFan!

lol i not know how to astronaut

While I do not know what exactly causes the backspace issue, the topic to which Eeko linked proves that others suffer this problem. And, while I cannot tell you how to fix it, I can attempt to explain why this causes formatting issues.When you select your format using the RTE options, it creates a set of tags and inserts text in between them. When you hit "Enter," instead of carrying the closing tags to the next line, it creates new pairs. For instance, the BBCode for"TestHello" looks like

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#0000ff]Test[/color][/font][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#0000FF]Hello[/color][/font]
and not the more logical arrangement,
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#0000ff]TestHello[/color][/font]
that one would use when typing out the code.Because of the way this works, your backspace issue must be taking out some of the tags when it happens, and the editor gets confused and does not update the format until the post is submitted. I can't reconstruct the exact process or which exact tags get cut (though it should be the second set of opening tags, in the first case above), but if you run into the backspace issue, try toggling the light switch (toggle.png) before posting to see the damage done. It may be a hassle, but you can then fix the tags manually. Edited by -Windrider-

I have a fairly easy solution to your problem. If you type in all of your text first, without any font or color changes, and then you add the changes after you're done, you shouldn't encounter any problems. As Windrider explained, when you add the changes before typing the text, every time you press enter it creates a new line of code for the next line of text. But if you add the changes after typing the text, there will be tags around all of the text rather than around one line of text. Here is a screenshot demonstrating what this will do to the code (For part of this post).I hope this helps!-Rez

Edited by Reznas Nuva

• 1 month later...

This is a problem with the forum software, as I have seen it on a forum that uses the same software (Can't name it, though). I usually use the unformatted mode, writing BBCode manually. It works fairly well for me, but I would like this issue to be fixed, too.This is a problem with the forum software, as I have seen it on a forum that uses the same software (Can't name it, though). I usually use the unformatted mode, writing BBCode manually. It works fairly well for me, but I would like this issue to be fixed, too.

This is a problem with the forum software, as I have seen it on a forum that uses the same software (Can't name it, though). I usually use the unformatted mode, writing BBCode manually. It works fairly well for me, but I would like this issue to be fixed, too.

I don't see what your problem is, as you can definitely use the manual editer on BZP. All you have to do is click the light switch button in the top left corner. If you have a different problem, however, could you explain it a bit more in depth?-Rez

This is a problem with the forum software, as I have seen it on a forum that uses the same software (Can't name it, though). I usually use the unformatted mode, writing BBCode manually. It works fairly well for me, but I would like this issue to be fixed, too.

I don't see what your problem is, as you can definitely use the manual editer on BZP. All you have to do is click the light switch button in the top left corner. If you have a different problem, however, could you explain it a bit more in depth?-Rez
I might be misunderstanding your misunderstanding, (:P) Rez, but I think what he's describing is this: all text-altering codes (to my knowledge) can be entered manually. I...don't recall if it was like this on old BZP, but for some reason I think it was. If you enter
[b]TEXT[/b]
Then the text will be manually changed to bold. On BZP, clicking and unclicking the boldface/italics/underline/etc buttons does this to the text while in the edtior, but on other forums those buttons instead insert the code instead of having to type it in manually. This is also how you can use fonts and such while posting off of a mobile device. I was on a forum that did this for a while before BZP, and I'm a fast enough typist that I usually just enter the code manually, whether I'm on mobile or not.About the original problem, I second Rez's suggestion of simply applying the font and color once you're done with the post. As for the backspacing...it's a strange issue, but I'm sure there's some insane programming explanation for it :P I'd assume it's just a forum glitch. Hopefully it will be resolved by a forum software update in the future.This post was a lot longer than I expected it to be :P

Generation reeeeeeeeeeeee: If you see this, don't copy it into your signature. Get off your computer. Go outside! Go for a walk! Appreciate the beauty of the world while you're young and energetic and full of unwarranted enthusiasm.