• Create Account

Welcome to BZPower!

Hi there, while we hope you enjoy browsing through the site, there's a lot more you can do if you register. The process is easy and you can use your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account to make it even faster. Some perks of joining include:
  • Create your own topics, participate in existing discussions, and vote in polls
  • Show off your creations, stories, art, music, and movies and play member and staff-run games
  • Enter contests to win free LEGO sets and other prizes, and vote to decide the winners
  • Participate in raffles, including exclusive raffles for new members, and win free LEGO sets
  • Send private messages to other members
  • Organize with other members to attend or send your MOCs to LEGO fan events all over the world
  • Much, much more!
Enjoy your visit!

Photo

Formatting Issues

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline WVUFan!

WVUFan!
  • Members
  • Stone Champion Nuva

• 1,521 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 07 2012 - 06:06 PM

For all my posts, my first thing is to select Comic Sans MS as my font, then a blue color. While typing posts, I always get the same two issues.Posted ImageI'll just be making a normal post, when I notice a spelling mistake on the second line. However, when I try to backspace it:Posted ImageBackspacing once usually causes the line to go to the beginning, causing the entire line of text to go up, instead of deleting one letter.Posted ImageNow I have a finished post. Then I try to select "Post Reply."Posted ImageThen this happens. Most the text isn't in the Comic Sans MS font I selected, and sometimes not even blue. The only way to correct it is just to edit it. Is there anyway to fix this and is anyone else having this problem? I am a Google Chrome user on a Mac OSX if that has anything to do with it.

Edited by WVUFan!, Apr 07 2012 - 06:06 PM.

lol i not know how to astronaut

#2 Offline Eeko

Eeko
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Forum Assistants
  • Mask of Time Discovered

• 4,288 posts
  •   BZP Assistant

Posted Apr 07 2012 - 06:11 PM

There has been a similar problem over here, that might help.If it still is a major problem, you can always click the light switch in the upper-left corner of the editing tools, and use regular BBCode.

jlovfkk.jpg

#3 Offline Dralcax

Dralcax
  • Members
  • Emerging Flying Force

• 2,204 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 07 2012 - 06:13 PM

You could try manual formatting in BBcode view.TESTTESTHmm, the backspace problem is occuring for me as well.

Edited by Chaos Dralcax, Apr 07 2012 - 06:14 PM.

eW9kyVR.png

#4 Offline -Windrider-

-Windrider-
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Global Moderators
  • Literally Kagome

• 5,449 posts
  •   BZP Staff

Posted Apr 07 2012 - 06:25 PM

While I do not know what exactly causes the backspace issue, the topic to which Eeko linked proves that others suffer this problem. And, while I cannot tell you how to fix it, I can attempt to explain why this causes formatting issues.When you select your format using the RTE options, it creates a set of tags and inserts text in between them. When you hit "Enter," instead of carrying the closing tags to the next line, it creates new pairs. For instance, the BBCode for"TestHello" looks like
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#0000ff]Test[/color][/font][font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#0000FF]Hello[/color][/font]
and not the more logical arrangement,
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#0000ff]TestHello[/color][/font]
that one would use when typing out the code.Because of the way this works, your backspace issue must be taking out some of the tags when it happens, and the editor gets confused and does not update the format until the post is submitted. I can't reconstruct the exact process or which exact tags get cut (though it should be the second set of opening tags, in the first case above), but if you run into the backspace issue, try toggling the light switch (Posted Image) before posting to see the damage done. It may be a hassle, but you can then fix the tags manually.

Edited by -Windrider-, Apr 07 2012 - 07:03 PM.

Ninjas IN SPACE. Even I can't believe it.

@BZPowerQA.

chopin8199.

#5 Offline Parazan

Parazan
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 339 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 07 2012 - 07:42 PM

This problem has occured to me many times,mostly in the PRG forums. Now I know why.
Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!

#6 Offline Reznas

Reznas
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,805 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 08 2012 - 10:31 AM

I have a fairly easy solution to your problem. If you type in all of your text first, without any font or color changes, and then you add the changes after you're done, you shouldn't encounter any problems. As Windrider explained, when you add the changes before typing the text, every time you press enter it creates a new line of code for the next line of text. But if you add the changes after typing the text, there will be tags around all of the text rather than around one line of text. Here is a screenshot demonstrating what this will do to the code (For part of this post).I hope this helps!-Rez

Edited by Reznas Nuva, Apr 08 2012 - 10:31 AM.

rc_banner.png

#7 Offline Parazan

Parazan
  • Members
  • Lightning Voyager

• 339 posts
  •  

Posted Apr 08 2012 - 11:37 AM

Here's a way to solve the problem:Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageSame works for fonts. Hope that helped! :)
Coming June 22nd: Your chance to become an ECC critic! Power of the pen in your hands!

#8 Offline Garrus Vakarian

Garrus Vakarian
  • Members
  • Descending into Protodermis

• 920 posts
  •  

Posted May 19 2012 - 11:22 PM

This is a problem with the forum software, as I have seen it on a forum that uses the same software (Can't name it, though). I usually use the unformatted mode, writing BBCode manually. It works fairly well for me, but I would like this issue to be fixed, too.This is a problem with the forum software, as I have seen it on a forum that uses the same software (Can't name it, though). I usually use the unformatted mode, writing BBCode manually. It works fairly well for me, but I would like this issue to be fixed, too.

I got first place in something! I was starting to get accustomed to third. Both are cool numbers, but first is always better.

-- Display Name History --

#9 Offline Reznas

Reznas
  • Premier Member
  • Premier Members
  • Emerging Ice Warrior

• 1,805 posts
  •  

Posted May 20 2012 - 10:24 AM

This is a problem with the forum software, as I have seen it on a forum that uses the same software (Can't name it, though). I usually use the unformatted mode, writing BBCode manually. It works fairly well for me, but I would like this issue to be fixed, too.

I don't see what your problem is, as you can definitely use the manual editer on BZP. All you have to do is click the light switch button in the top left corner. If you have a different problem, however, could you explain it a bit more in depth?-Rez

rc_banner.png

#10 Offline Ddude

Ddude
  • Members
  • Battling Makuta!

• 511 posts
  •  

Posted May 22 2012 - 10:04 AM

This is a problem with the forum software, as I have seen it on a forum that uses the same software (Can't name it, though). I usually use the unformatted mode, writing BBCode manually. It works fairly well for me, but I would like this issue to be fixed, too.

I don't see what your problem is, as you can definitely use the manual editer on BZP. All you have to do is click the light switch button in the top left corner. If you have a different problem, however, could you explain it a bit more in depth?-Rez

I might be misunderstanding your misunderstanding, (:P) Rez, but I think what he's describing is this: all text-altering codes (to my knowledge) can be entered manually. I...don't recall if it was like this on old BZP, but for some reason I think it was. If you enter
[b]TEXT[/b]
Then the text will be manually changed to bold. On BZP, clicking and unclicking the boldface/italics/underline/etc buttons does this to the text while in the edtior, but on other forums those buttons instead insert the code instead of having to type it in manually. This is also how you can use fonts and such while posting off of a mobile device. I was on a forum that did this for a while before BZP, and I'm a fast enough typist that I usually just enter the code manually, whether I'm on mobile or not.About the original problem, I second Rez's suggestion of simply applying the font and color once you're done with the post. As for the backspacing...it's a strange issue, but I'm sure there's some insane programming explanation for it :P I'd assume it's just a forum glitch. Hopefully it will be resolved by a forum software update in the future.This post was a lot longer than I expected it to be :P

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users