Christian Faber Starts 'Faber Files'

Renowned Bionicle artist Christian Faber has started a blog called '<a href="http://faberfiles.blogspot.com/">Faber Files</a>', where he is uploading his Bionicle concept art. Faber has already added a Bionicle logo concept and one of the first drawings of the island of Mata Nui. I highly recommend that you also check out his drawings of a possible Toa Canister design.

View the full article

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen in my life. Ever. I'm saving all the files to my computer and then I'm going to print them all out and hang them all over the house and tattoo them on my face.I won't actually, but that's how cool I think this is. I can't wait until they start producing posters of these, because I would totally buy them for serious. I want that beneath Mata Nui and early Bionicle village on my wall.

Edited by Kakaru

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Aaaaand bookmarked. I'm a sucker for concept art, and this stuff is very cool.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Ouch. "Doo Heads". Glad that didn't last long. This is interesting, the three-finger island sounds like a cool idea, it may have been too much of a hint though, even if it wasn't called that in the story. Some of the mask designs look good, too. And it's nice to see another one of the people that made Bionicle talking about it online.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

It would have been cool if those three finger islands remained, because that would have been an awesome concept to explore. Like during the journey the Toa found out what their true purpose was, not just at the end from the mouth of Teridax. A lot of interesting insight here. I really like those old logos. Be interested in following this.signoff.png

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

These all look really cool. The Gali temper is my favorite of all of them. Just the dark atmosphere around it makes it look really great.The three-finger islands looked like a cool concept too. I wonder how they would've been used in the storyline if they had been kept in-story.

Edited by The Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Definitely some fantastic stuff in here. Always good to get a look at the early days, which we've been getting a lot more of lately (I suppose it's inevitable after any kind of ending that we get glimpses into what was previously secret). The "three finger island" concept intrigues me the most; could have definitely made for a more interesting 2003, for instance, but it should hopefully generate good ideas around here.

I forgot to mention this earlier: I also found how the canisters were inspired by coconuts to be intriguing.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

Wow...this is beyond FANTASTIC. Too bad the three-fingers island concept was scrapped, it could have been great. TAHU poster ROCKS, though. I should print that and hang it on the wall or something. What strikes me is that it says 1999 in the lower right corner but it already features a finalized design of Tahu. Was the date added later? At least the Tahu logo was sort of reused for the satchel. :P Thank you so so much, Christian Faber! Please keep them coming, and show us concept art of later years, too! :)-Gata signoff.jpg

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Really fascinating to read. That Doo Heads face seems to vaguely resemble those really really early Bionicle prototypes (the ones that didn't even have masks). Wish they'd kept the fingers island concept, especially if the characters had never visited them and they'd been left deliberately ambiguous. Thanks for posting these, Christian. :)

I had to log in again to share my thoughts on these wonderful conceptual sketches and designs. It's really fascinating to consider what was once "Bone-heads of Voodoo Island" then became "Doo Island", followed by (?) "Bionic Recur Unit", and finally, "BIONICLE".I liked the rather intricate Tohunga face designs. Though they clearly would not have worked from a set design perspective, they are true to the technological-tribal fusion that defined BIONICLE right from the start. The names are interesting as well...Zuul gave me a laugh. "Are you the Keymaster?"I believe that "first map" of Mata Nui was included in the liner notes for the BIONICLE Music CD that came included in the Powerpack set. Makes me so glad I sprung for that set on a complete whim when I saw it in Wal-Mart over 10 years ago.It was always the little details that made BIONICLE so awesome. Whether it was physically present, like in the designs of the masks and sets themselves, or in the storyline, leading us on this epic quest and great mystery, it made BIONICLE more than just an ordinary Lego kid's theme with good guys and bad guys. With a name like "Doo Island" and a location shaped just like a face, it strikes me that as a concept, BIONICLE could have just been Hero Factory in scope. While that would have been fine and dandy for Lego and fans alike, it was the refinement of the concept by people like Christian Faber that took BIOINCLE somewhere beyond the ordinary and into that rare spectrum of true greatness that will know no loss to the cycle of toy fads over the years, instead firmly entrenching itself in the memories and hearts of kids and (now) adults for a long time to come.

Bornicleban.gif

RIP BORNICLE

2004 - 2011

"There are a thousand ways I could bore you...and only 942 of them will put you to sleep. Permanently"

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen in my life. Ever. I'm saving all the files to my computer and then I'm going to print them all out and hang them all over the house and tattoo them on my face.I won't actually, but that's how cool I think this is. I can't wait until they start producing posters of these, because I would totally buy them for serious. I want that beneath Mata Nui and early Bionicle village on my wall.

I agree with you, Kakaru. This is the absolute best thing ever. DO WANT POSTERS.

Wow, this really is something.I agree that the three finger islands should have been kept, even if they were rarely made use of in the storyline.When I watched that little video of the robot opening its eyes, I noticed something very peculiar about it.It looked like it was wearing... the Mask of Time?Interesting.

MY AWESOME MOCS:

Shyrku Frall Corroder Revamp

"Fire always finds a way."

- Tahu Nuva

If BIONICLE could be su

mmed up in a sentence, it wouldn't be what it is today.

However, we only need three words.

TAHU poster ROCKS, though. I should print that and hang it on the wall or something.

My thoughts exactly. That Tahu poster is... okay, words can't describe its glory D:Also, imagine if the Toa Mata canisters were the ones in the concept art, that would have been rather cool too O:!Truly nostalgic, I'm looking forward to seeing more!

hakann_sig_copy.jpg

So, they seriously considered calling Bionicle "Doo Heads?" .... words fail me. :plain:Otherwise, this blog is chock full of awesome stuff. All the art relating to the Mata Nui is just so surreal. To think, for nearly eight years almost no fan had any clue what his true form really was - and yet from the perspective of Bionicle's creators, it was one of the defining concepts of the theme as far back as 1999.

I have slept for so long. My dreams have been dark ones. But now I am awakened. Now the scattered elements of my being are rejoined. Now I am whole. And the Darkness can not stand before me.

Wow, this really is something.I agree that the three finger islands should have been kept, even if they were rarely made use of in the storyline.When I watched that little video of the robot opening its eyes, I noticed something very peculiar about it.It looked like it was wearing... the Mask of Time?Interesting.

I think they said somewhere that the Mask of Time was the first mask Lego actually designed.
rahkshi_symbol.png

So, they seriously considered calling Bionicle "Doo Heads?" .... words fail me. :plain:Otherwise, this blog is chock full of awesome stuff. All the art relating to the Mata Nui is just so surreal. To think, for nearly eight years almost no fan had any clue what his true form really was - and yet from the perspective of Bionicle's creators, it was one of the defining concepts of the theme as far back as 1999.

I believe it was first called "Woo Doo Heads," which makes a lot more sense. Shortening the title like that may have been the reason it tested poorly.On that note: I would love it if Lego released a line closer to the original concept someday with the weird, quirky robots fused with organic island material by some strange "woo doo"magic. They could have done so much with those character concepts. :|

tumblr_inline_n50tp1mirL1r0vgjj.gif
「どこに行けばいいんだ・・・」「タ・コロ村はもうおしまいだ・・・」タ・コロ村の村人達
hey it's Studio Comic

Oh my god. CYBOTS looks beyond ugly and the prototypes are a pain to look at, although the concept art is well made as usual. Still, only the thought that LEGO might have made those makes me shudder. :P At least it led to the development of the glorious ball joint, so that´s something. :P Thanks for the concept art anyway, looking forward to more! :) Am I right to assume that the Galidor sets were influenced by these?-Gata signoff.jpg

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

The birth of a Toa. Strange how Tahu wears a Miru but besides that it looks great. I would love to see that on a cinema screen someday. Well, you never know... :P-Gata signoff.jpg

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

I can't know that this blog was still being updated. :o I need to keep my eye on it.Anyway, I'm loving all of these new concept art pictures! The Vitruvian robot and the Tahu posters are both really awesome. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png

Edited by The Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

This makes me feel nostalgic to the 2001 days. Three finger island definitely should be kept. I will never ceased to be amazed how few people guessed that Mata-Nui lied beneath the surface of an island named Mata-Nui. The series really had good writing.If you check Faber's profile, it looks like he has another blog with another project planned called "The Rig". Looking forward to see what becomes of it.

Currently listening to: Dio - Dream Evil