Kanohi Ignika (Voya Nui Online Game Style) Real Mask

00dude00

It's never been done before (that I know of), but I have made a 100% custom mask made of plastic, that was printed off of a 3D printing website called shapeways. I modeled the object in Blender 3D, then simply sent it to the site and made my order. It was printed in a strong and slightly flexible white plastic, and I received it in the mail a few days ago! I then finished off the process with a gold paint finish. But anyhow, here it is! :P .

NOTICE: A topic to sell this mask and its partner (there are two) will be created in the "buy/sell/ trade section of the BZP marketplace within the upcoming days.

Details about the Ignika and it's creation: Growing up as a fan of Bionicle, I have always been in amazed at the creativity of the Bionicle community. I loved the legendary story, and the amazing sets, but most of all I loved building with them. From the day I popped Tahu out of his canister, I have never stopped trying to add my own Ideas to this masterpiece lego has created. I have been a proficient 3D modeler for the past few years, and yes, I became one for that very reason. 3D art is an amazing realm that allows a person to take their ideas and transform them into something they they and others can look at and appreciate. But I didn't want to stop there, and so this project grew. I set out, and after putting many hours into measuring, 3D modeling, and researching (mostly modeling :P ) I finally got a 3D object. If you are not familiar with 3D modeling, the closest thing I can compare it to is an odd mixture of origami, and sculpting :P . Because of this, I made sure to pay attention to the smallest details to make sure that the 3D model would come out looking as if it were a real lego piece, fit snugly on a bionicle head (which it does), and be sturdy. In the end I had taken a real piece of Bionicle history, and made it into a tangible object, through a printing company called shapeways. I was amazed when I saw how well it had turned out (and so exited that my hands were actually shaking. XD) The printing was highly detailed, and smooth. The plastic is also very strong, somewhere between the stiffness of the 2001 masks, and the Glatorian helmets. Because of this, I would bet that falls from hand height would be o.k. Like anyone, I wanted the Kanohi to look like it was ancient and powerful. To do this I spray painted it black, then mixed a couple shades of metallic paint to get a color that is very close to the Bionicle gold. I used a dry paint method to get it to look worn, as you can see in the picture below. The gold is shinier than the bionicle gold, but not enough so that they don't fit together. All in all I am VERY happy with how this turned out, and it sure does feel good to own an object this rare! :)

ignika.jpg

reference: http://biosector01.c...NOLG_Ignika.png

Gold comparison (on Iruini): http://www.brickshel...ks/sdc18905.jpg

Comparison with Brutaka gold: http://www.brickshel...ks/sdc18888.jpg

Before being painted: http://www.brickshel...ks/sdc18902.jpg

Vezon with Ignika: http://www.brickshel...ks/sdc18894.jpg

on Tahu: http://www.brickshel...ks/sdc18900.jpg

Angle: http://www.brickshel...ks/sdc18887.jpg

Back: http://www.brickshel...ks/sdc18883.jpg

FAQ:

"Why are the antennae curved forwards?"

I actually had not known that there had been a 3D version of the mask in "Bionicle Heroes". Because of this I had to rely on the two dimensional picture of the mask. Because of this I took some artistic liberty (as I did with the crest on the forehead), and did what balanced the mask out. By doing this, I could also take advantage of having a curved line run through the mask, rather than having a harsh angle (like in Bionicle Heroes) :)

"Why is the mask so flat?"

On seeing the mask, I felt like it belonged closer to the time of 2001, and Mata Nui. It seemed very reminiscent to me of the simpler designs that existed in those years. Feeling this, I wanted to make the mask feel at home on the Toa mata, as well as later sets (who at times had very large heads XD ). I used Tahu's head as my main reference, because of this the top goes about as far back as his. The mask curves forwards towards the mouth (similar to the noble ruru), and the side pieces go just past the circles on the side of the head. Looking at the Images I have up, there aren't really any good ones at a side view (on a head), so maybe I'll try and get some up.

"Does it fit well?"

I like this question, because this actually caused me a ton of problems XD. When I got the mask, the first thing I did was try and stick it on a toa head. Bad idea. I had made the mouth piece a fraction of a millimeter to big, and I couldn't get it off. Finally with the help of a flat head screwdriver I popped it off. After that I carefully sanded it down a little, and it now fits quite well.

Let me know what you think, Any comments are appreciated (other than spam :P ). I plan on creating a topic to sell it sometime soon.

Edited by Black Six
  • Upvote 7

Wow, that is amazing! The only thing I can really say I'm not in love with is how flat the mask seems. Guess I just got used to the massive masks we got in the latter years that covered every bit of the face, though... So in short, nothing aside from a nit pick.Anyway, great job. I'm actually rather curious as to whether or not it would be possible for you to make more of these... :biggrin:

Edited by Despair

Lacertus

Woah! That is incredible! I once tried to make that same mask with modeling clay, but it failed miserably. I am most impressed by the detail and accuracy to the images we have of the Ignika. Very nice work.And to agree with Despair up there, I wonder if you could get more of these made so that others can own it, too. But, that's up to you, I guess. Again, very nice job on this, and the paint job looks brilliant!signoffffff.png

~Your friendly, neighborhood Shadow

sotpbanner.png

~Credit for Avatar and Banner goes to

NickonAquaMagna~

OMMN THAT IS MAD!!I never thought I would see this. A real VNOLG Ignika!Well done man! Although it's not acurate with the game, I love the darker, kinda gritty gold that the mask has been painted in.Soo awesome!Astris Janus

Right, new forum, new signature. Or, at least, a reboot.

20795.jpg

Dual Sides; An Expanded Multiverse Epic

Bionicle Anime: Toa Mata

"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success."
- Anonymous

:kaukau: I never thought that those antennae/rabbit ears would be to curved. It looks kind of funny, but I don't really mind. What I actually like is the stle of the rest of the mask in general, which has a quality that reminds me of 2001, now that I have the chance to see it up close. I also really like the paint, which is a great shade of gold that goes wonderful with the Mata sets, and I also like how it mainly covers the face, just like the original sets. The one thing that I would have done different, had I done this, would be to make the mouth connection a circular peg instead of a plus sign connection, since I liked the older connectors better.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

Wow, this is amazing. I saw the old topic in B/S/T (I think), and thought it was really cool. Now it's finally done!One question: Is the axle the right size? I mean, does it actually fit snugly into the connector, like real masks? I was wondering if that might be a problem, as I imagine it's pretty hard to model the axle perfectly.Also, if you wanted, you could post this on CUUSOO. I reckon you could get a lot of supporters on there.

banner.jpg

This is great!Shapeways... i'll be sure to check that out sometime.Believe it or not, but i actually like this better than the set-style ignika.Good job! From what i remember, rendering something in blender can be pretty hard.I wish i could buy it!-Dwanny

shapeways is also used to replicate minecraft constructions into real life.anyways, this is probably the coolest thing i've seen. ever.

Thanks for years of fun, BZP. You made me happy as a child.
Wanna know how FC2 was gonna end/FC3 was gonna play out? Check my deviantART and my Brickshelf.

:kaukau: I never thought that those antennae/rabbit ears would be to curved. It looks kind of funny, but I don't really mind. What I actually like is the stle of the rest of the mask in general, which has a quality that reminds me of 2001, now that I have the chance to see it up close. I also really like the paint, which is a great shade of gold that goes wonderful with the Mata sets, and I also like how it mainly covers the face, just like the original sets. The one thing that I would have done different, had I done this, would be to make the mouth connection a circular peg instead of a plus sign connection, since I liked the older connectors better.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

No, please not a circular peg, those are much less useful than axle connections. It´s fine as it is, being a 2006 mask anyway.Did I say fine? That´s a bold understatement, this is simply amazing! The painting is fantastic, when I saw the picture I thought it was made out of metal! :D I would love to have that mask but I imagine what´s even greater is knowing that you made it yourself. Great job! :)-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Hate to say it, but the top fins curve backwards, not forwards, and not quite that sharply. Basing this on BIONICLE Heroes, where there's a pretty good 3D spin of it after the Vezon fight.But other than that, and the fact that it looks a bit flatter than the BH version, this is pretty awesome, especially for a 3D-modeled piece.

OpAXNpl.jpg

Whoa. Whoa! We haven't had any real Bionicle news in such a long time! I hope this inspires some not to give up, since we still have a dedicated remnant of fans. Hey, I like how the Ignika keeps some of its old features as it changes, as seen in the horns of the Vezon version:ignika2.png

Has following the story become too complex? Look no further:

How to Follow BIONICLE

A Simple, chronological checklist

UPDATE May 22 2013: Every is now color coded!

Contains every bit of content, organized by story year

Love the VNOLG Ignika design, and this is WAY better!

Hate to say it, but the top fins curve backwards, not forwards, and not quite that sharply.

I agree. It looks kind of awkward curving forwards.Nonetheless, it's still amazing!And the main "head part" of it always reminds me of a Great Huna...

--xanthorp_sig.jpg--

01-01the_chronology_of_enigma.png

The Review Topic for this project

I hope you like them!

I always had it in my mind that the antennae curved forwards as well, maybe it was because of the images I saw for BIONICLE Heroes, I dunno. Admittedly from the front it gives the illusion that prongs do indeed go forward, which is interesting.I also feel that while it looks more like a conventional mask as we know it in the real world, more flat and just covering the front part of the head, unlike a helmet or such, I feel that it just doesn't wrap around the head as well as it could, as it does more in the BIONICLE style. Maybe just the top extends backwards more (antennae alone might do it), or the sides extending along the sides of the head a bit. Because even the flattest of masks from the early years, for instance Pakari, Mahiki and Ruru, for example, all have at least some part that significantly adds depth to the mask, the 'ears' for the first two and the forehead for the latter.This becomes more of a problem when the mask is put on a Metru head, which is a more elongated head (particularly if it used the long eye pieces).Anyway, all that said and done, I really like how this turned out! I've always liked the idea of shapeways, it's a pretty amazing site and business. And you've used it tremendously well, the look of it is still very faithful to how the VNOLG Ignika should look, and the detail is really well done. I particularly like the 'hexagon' on the forehead that protrudes forward, that's a nice touch. Looks really good front on, as we are more accustomed to see. Paint job really good too, surprised how similar the colour is to the old Gold, very nice. Yeah, you've done a tremendous job, I always respect good 3D work, and to make a real life mask that fits the + rod mold is great. My complaints are merely my view of how I believe the aesthetics should work, the actual execution of this is wonderful. Kudos for a great job with Blender!signoff.png

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

Oh. my. Gawsh. My life is closer to being complete. This is amazing, man! How- wait...does that say Blender? o_O Sweeeeeet.P.S. Have fun with your new, golden mini-part!

I have no signature. Boo-Hoo.

My BZPRPG

92% of BZPers use sigfads. If you are part of the 8% that think them pointless, copy and paste this into your signature.

banner_beatdown1.png

Yayz! I'm an old, defenseless leader guy!

OMGOMGSo delicious!Im glad ive lived long enough to see this!Minor discrepancies aside, its just completely amazing!If it werent expressly illegal to make money selling bionicle based merchandise while Lego still owns the trademark (and without their express permission and contract) i would give you positively oodles and oodles of money to have this for my collection!Or probably just to buy the model and print it myself teeheeAnyway, Glad to see this finally!Yay!Oh, also, upon posting this i saw that my signature pic was actually of the mask at hand! What irony! (or is it irognika? igorny? nevermind, not the reason for this edit lol)

Edited by We Are _G.R.I.D_

my_card.jpg

credit to Bonesiii for the av,

credit to xecha for the template for the card, but I did all the work on it, thank you very much!

credit to taka nuvia (or her current name) for the original skullbud .2 file of which i edited,

to make the thing you see in my sign-off, if/when i use them

I am the who when you ask; "Who's there?" I am the wind blowing through your hair

I am the shadow on the moon at night, Filling your dreams to the brim with fright

I am The Darkness underneath your bed, I am the thoughts inside your head

Who Am I, You Ask? I Am One Of Many, And Many Are The _G.R.I.D_

WE ARE _G.R.I.D_ AND OUR TIME HAS COME

Hey, I was going to make one of these! :closedeyes:Although, mine wouldn't turn out anywhere near as good as this, congrats. And you used BLENDER to design this? Good grief. You are one skilled craftsman. When I do start Nuhrii's Forge (see my blog for details) this would be a useful product to sell, if you permit us to.Sweet design, beautiful finish!

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

Wow, great job! I love the amount of detail in this mask. How long did it take you to sketch the 3D render?I actually am doing similar things because I'm in an engineering class in high school, so every now and then the teacher lets us make our own things in the 3D printer we have in the classroom. I always make custom pieces that I might find useful. We use Autodesk Inventor however, instead of Blender 3D.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

This is absolutely incredible! All of the angles look nice and crisp, as though it were a real mask produced by TLG. What's more, the texture/finish of it makes it look amazingly detailed. It's great to see that this degree of creative achievement continues to emerge in the BIONICLE fan community.My only criticism is that it feels a bit flat compared to many other masks. But it still looks phenomenal and could be a great collector's item.How tight is the connection when placed on a Toa Metru head. Toa Mata head, or regular Technic axle hole? Part of the challenge of creating custom pieces is making sure the connection is secure, yet not too difficult to remove. But this looks precise enough to be an official LEGO product.Also, how long did it take you to model it?

This looks really cool! If you had not said that you made it, I wouldv'e thought that this was an official Kanohi Mask made by the Lego Company itself.The mask does look a little flat, but that is just a minor nitpick. Great job on making this! http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/cool.png

Edited by The Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Awesome. The entire mask is amazing, would love to get me one of those. Great job.

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all." Tahu

"Deceit and self-interest will never be virtues the Matoran will honor!"-Vakama

"Fear is the state of mind in which we will cause our own failures."-Me

" You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian."- Harvey Dent