Bzp Library Discussion Topic

Grant-Sud

I'm hoping we can have a Library discussion topic, for anything concerning the Library Forum on BZP. If anyone has ideas they'd like to talk about, such as before writing, or while writing Short Stories or Epics (and Comedies though I'm not familiar with writing them myself), discuss here.Some start off questions I have:What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories? A lot of my stories have to do with letting go of things and moving forward. Or probably redemption for things done in the past. I like to write those stories the best because there is so much room for character development, whether the character will learn their lesson and use it for good, or if they won't.What's your favorite genre to write about?Adventure with character examination throughout and a touch of mystery. :3Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries? People have given better reasons below then I have, so I'll be taking their words to help explain it. Writing is satisfying whenever I'd like to get points and my own reasoning across. I enjoy writing these huge illustrations just to reach an ending that people can relate to in real life. (even if the entire tale is about robots that fight eachother in another giant robot)I try to find time to read other entries by friends on BZP, and even if I don't know the writer. Only differences is I know the authors I enjoy reading, have good stories to tell. For those I don't know, it can be a wild card, so that makes it a little difficult to get through, if it starts off slow or uninteresting.Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall?I've written two Epics, one not finished and many Short Stories. My short stories tend to be very long, but I enjoy writing them over all. If you can write on that has so much emotion in it, over characters you'll probably never see again but wish to, you've done something write. And I enjoy epics, but it's hard for me to create a complete plot to cover it all and hold a reader's attention.Contest ideas for the Library?There have been some great Contest ideas down there, but that one on Co-Authoring sounds unique and interesting.The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done? Well, the most difficult story I've written was probably Moment of Fragile Courage. I redrafted it many times, and I just couldn't get the overall feeling of it write until it was published. Even after that, I changed the ending around. It got good feedback though, so I guess it was okay. The longest Short Story was probably Divided We Fall. And longest Epic was Second Chance (Co-Authoring).Shortest story was actually for a member created contest where you had to write a story under 600 words. That was tough to do, but it came out okay. It's called Sight.Easiest story I wrote was something that took me two months to write. But I wrote half of the story in one day, forgot about it, and when I found it later, wrote the second half in another day. So it took me a few hours to write overall. :B Return. Very easy, the plot and all the meaning was just something I could type up fast.Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites?Wow I have a lot, and I know I'm going to forget some...Anything by Peach 00, Aderia, Velox, Cederak, Sumiki and a few other people I've forgotten. ;-;Recently, I've very much enjoyed An Aftermath, Time and Tide, Redemption, Between Two Eternities, The Islander, Care, Perfectionist and To Fly. Before BZP went down I had a lot more. :/I've seen a large amount of Library discussion on the Blogs before, so discussions by the authors and readers on BZP shouldn't be too hard to muster up. =D

Edited by The Great Grant in the Sky

Q1: What ideas do you like to portray in your BIONICLE stories?I like to portray honesty and trust, humor, and a slightly shade of deviousness in some of my characters.Q2: What's your favorite genre to write about?Usually romantic concepts or action-oriented stories. Character studies are also a popular choice I like to write about.Q3: Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries?I post stories because I love to write, although my BIONICLE focus on writing has drifted a little, so I tend to write COT stories which I have yet to post here. I do read other stories, sadly I don't read other stories often enough. (That includes you, Grant - apologies for not yet reading Second Chance. Shoot me for not reading that. :c)Q4: Do you enjoying Epics or Short Stories more, and which do you enjoy writing overall?It really is a toss-up between the two, both are enjoyable to read. Epics are great because you are forced to be patient, but you're impatient about reading the next chapter and can't wait for it to be posted. Anticipation is key in Epics - in Short Stories, you have nothing to look forward to, but that's the good side of that forum. Simply, I can't pick a favorite. In writing, however, I'd have to choose Epics, because you can basically play mind games with your readers and can play around with cliffhangars frequently. You also can get a variety of comments, and at least for each chapter it's ineviteable you're going to get reviews and compliments.Q5: Contest ideas for the Library?Another version of the SS Olympics would be great. Another round-robin type of writing contest would be great, although it would be great if there was a miniature-epic contest, where it would only be two people for however many teams with random choosing. It would be great because it would strengthen the urge to be cooperative with others in the community, but maybe I'm wrong.Q6: The most difficult, the longest, shortest, and easiest written and published stories you've done?Most difficult: Danger Close. Longest: Mistletoe. Shortest: Depression (It's COT - if that doesn't count, probably Nightmare). Easiest: Nightmare. Although it was difficult to portray the characters in it correctly and their descriptions, it was pretty easy to write the plot.Q7: Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites?There are waaaaay too many stories that I love, although one of my favorite short stories is A Moment of Fragile Courage, although it's COT. One of my favorite epics is Glitch In the System, as well as Wings. Not discrediting a lot of writers here, I'd mention a lot of other stories, but I sadly do not have the time to mention them.Hopefully this will last, this was a great idea, Grant. =D *clicks follow topic button*

Edited by Peach 00

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Oh, I've always thought we needed a topic like this. I just never got around to making it 'cause I'm too lazy :P .Now onto the questions:

What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories?

I like to deal with trust and honesty, as well as intolerance. Few of my characters are completely openminded; in fact, quite a few are narrow-minded and even intolerant, which I think makes them more interesting even if they don't change their intolerant views.

What's your favorite genre to write about?

I see fanfiction itself as one genre, but I guess I like writing mystery/exploration stories. Practically all of my epics have at least one big, overarching mystery that is usually solved near the end or climax.Why? Because I love those kinds of mysteries. That's why.

Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries?

I post fanfics because I want to become a novelist someday. So I use fanfiction as practice fiction, although that does not mean I don't put any effort into my fanfics. Oh, no. I work very hard on all of my stories, original or fanfic. Fanfiction just allows me to get a lot of feedback I wouldn't otherwise get.As for reading other stories, I usually only read them if they're written by a friend or the author asks me to read their stories. Normally I don't browse through the Library forums looking for new stories and authors, mostly because of a lack of interest and lack of time on my part.

Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall?

Pretty much about equal for me, although I lean toward epics a bit more than short stories.

Contest ideas for the Library?

None.

The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done?

The most difficult? Possibly my recent short epic, Glatorian Chronicles #9: Reluctant Allies. At least I had a hard time writing the end and even now I am not sure I am completely happy with it.The longest is probably my first comedy, My Bionicle Road Trip, at 108 chapters. Yeah, I really didn't know what I was doing back then :P .In terms of more recent stories, though, An Unlikely Alliance (epic) and BIONICLE: The Legend Reloaded (comedy) are my longest. AUA has 30 chapters while TLReloaded has 34.The shortest story is probably this one-post comedy I wrote that was essentially an advertisement for CORDAK BLASTER ARMS!!!!!!!!. It just barely met the 300 word limit, but I remember it got a few compliments because of its uniqueness and originality.As for easiest, that's hard to say because writing isn't easy. Maybe my entry for ATYU2, False Hopse, because I don't remember having a lot of trouble with that one, but with all of my stories I've had a moment (okay, several moments) where I just wanted to quit, though thankfully I didn't.

Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites?

Mine :P ?In all seriousness, I really enjoyed GSR's Fractures. One of the best short stories I've ever read, IMO, much better than anything I've ever written.Can't think of anything else at the moment, although I am sure I have a few more favorites.-TNTOS-

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Tasty Library of Sugary Goodness

(My Little BIONICLE: Friendship is Explosive Completed 01/05/14)

{The Shika Trilogy Omnibus Completed 03/31/14) (Review Topic)

(In the End Completed 09/01/14) (Review Topic)

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites?This is the most important question, so I'll go with it first. Probably my favorites, to my shame, are the works of Kagha, GSR, Sumiki, and bonesiii. I really do need to get out and read the less popular authors: one honorable mention I would like to make from the epics stack is Tavaki: The Movie by Tavaki - and I'm sure that there is a few more short stories that I haven't tore with volleys of crticism - a recent work by Kal Grochi comes to mind, but the title did not.Looking over this topic just reminded me of some stories I had overlooked and need to read. Have to hand it to ya, Grant. Brilliance. Contest ideas for the Library?Something involving pi - the greek letter - or some space travel story. Or trampolines. Or hammers. Maybe something with all three. "For the next contest, your story must include a rocket, a trampoline, and a hammer!" :)What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories?Ideals of friendship and morals and standing up for what you think. Sometimes it doesn't always come out that way, however. What's your favorite genre to write about?The future of Bionicle.:P Actually, not really sure. I like character exploration, but I usually end up fusing that with action and adventure - events to bring out the characters instead of just dialogue. Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries?Recently, looking over my stack of stories, I noticed a pattern - they all deal in some unresolved Bionicle plot point that I wanted Lego to resolve. I've been sitting down and resolving them myself using my own writing. So a lot of my stories are based around a theoretical framework of what could happen, not a meaning or a theme. I'm working on a new epic now - I'm hoping that it will be the last work like that, because I can now tell nobody really wants to read that - it should be a bridge between my last "psyhological resolution" work and something a bit more fun. Because that's really why I post stuff - to entertain people here. If I'm not doing that, what's the point?As for reading other people's work, I read whenever I can get the time. But I think "entries" refers to contests - if I have an entry into the contest, I review a swath, otherwise I usually hold off reading until the polls come out. Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall?Depends on the day. Short Stories are quicker and easier to review, but that means everyone else has reviewed them as well. Epics are usually better reads because the author has committed to a longer work and that usually translates into a higher commitment to quality as well - they have to hold their audience chapter after chapter. As for writing, I have to say the Epics forum is harder to write for unless you write out the whole thing before you start posting. My chronically lazy self loves writing SSs more, but writing Epics is more rewarding for me overall. The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done?Longest is probably The Team, at six lengthy chapters, although Spinning Doctor Drake rivals it. The shortest was probably my miserably failed entry into the Stasis Toa contest way back when. The most difficult was The Team again, because the downtime drained all my creative inspiration for it and caused to be abandoned for six months. I lost my motivation and my reviewing base, basically having to slug it out just to stamp "Completed" on it so I could move on. Easiest is probably The 40 Million Foot Tall Writer's Block Solution - I did that one in a day, and the situation was easy because the protagonists were human (Satirical Comedy is easier than complex theoretical story).

Edited by fishers64

Some of these questions looked fun to answer, pardon for going out of order. :PThe most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done?Most difficult is definitely Captain of Treason. I took a break halfway through, I don't even remember if it was writer's block or just not having time, but I just could not get back into the flow of it, and much, much later finally re-read all of what I had written and did finish. Everything else has been a breeze compared to it, even the one I'm currently publishing, Endless Blue, which is by far the longest.Easiest written was hands-down The Islander (both that and EB links in sig right now), which I didn't plan to write, although the basic idea of it had been bouncing around in my head, etc. -- but when the idea came to me I sat down, typed, stood up and voila, there is was, instant, and IMO nearly perfect for what I had in mind.I dunno off the top of my head which was my shortest, but my collection topic gives the word counts, too lazy to check. One of the short stories, obviously.Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall?Epics, because I can get more feedback to more specific parts, and give them more chances to get noticed.What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories?Mystery and adventure, character studies, psychology, cool sci-fi Bionicley ideas, etc. Mostly mystery -- the art of producing the thrill of the unknown and discovery in all its subtle shades and hues.Your other questions would take too much time right now, sorry. :P *goes back to resisting the urge to continue writing current epic so he can do taxes instead... bleagh...*

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

A topic made to write about writing? That's a little funny.What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories?I love choice, probably more than anything else. I have explored themes of warfare, misuse of power, corrupt governments, acceptance of life, the compulsion to fulfill a duty, and how emotion can build and destroy. It always comes back to choice though, and where that takes a character is always interesting to me.What's your favorite genre to write about?Action and adventure have always appealed to me as epics, but I've been drawn recently to mystery and suspense with short stories. Crime mysteries are always fun to wrap up in one go, but who knows - I may dabble with them on a larger scale one day.Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries?Writers are entertainers who cater to the mind. I post stories because they are an escape for the reader, an opportunity to visit a world of my design and hopefully allow their imagination to be captivated by it. That's the real treat behind writing. I read other entries daily, mostly skimming the latest work and looking for anything I like enough to keep up with.Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall?Short stories are like a good smoothie - over too soon. Epics are drawn out over the course of weeks, maintaining my interest in a lengthy tale. I believe more can happen in a mile run than a 100 meter dash, and the same goes for epics and short stories. Short story writers have a smaller window to make me connect with a character, and I think there's a difficulty to that. But I like epics over short stories, definitely.Contest ideas for the Library?A free write. We haven't done that in a while…The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done?In that order? Well let's see… The most difficult was Creation's Absolution, mostly because I had to stay invested in characters I had already played with for three epics. Taking them in a new direction was tough. The longest was Dynamic Paradigm, finishing at 40 chapters. The shortest, technically, was a very, very early epic called Time. The easiest to write was undoubtedly Echoed Harbinger - I always love a sequel that escalates everything about part 1 to a whole new level.Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites?There's something arrogant about saying "my own" here, so I'll give you something else. I loved Takuta-Nui's This World series more than anything else I've encountered in the Library. That's not to say I don't have other favorites, that's just my number one selection. Takatu also had his Eternal Darkness trilogy, that was nice. There was also an older epic called To Protect and Serve, written by the head of the ECC's second incarnation, Twenty-Two. I'm rather curious if anyone remembers back that far, seeing as how <daydreamer> ran the third and fourth ECC topics for quite some time. And then Alena led the rather brief fifth one before the downtime last year.Getting back on topic though, in more recent work, I really liked Hahli Historian's Life is a Blank, as well as TNTOS's Dimension Hoppers. They were both excellent additions to the new board's Epics listing. There are definitely some other epics I liked, but unfortunately, not memorable enough to post here. In terms of short stories, however, Velox has set the bar in my opinion. And that's an ironic statement, because I have commented on only one or two of his short stories. But if I had to pick a writer who almost exclusively dealt with short stories, Velox is the one I have the most respect for in his work.-Ced

What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories?Um, I dunno. :P I guess original and unique ideas, first of all, or a unique spin on a tale told many times. I do really like playing on canon Bionicle scenes though, and putting my own spin onto them in a comedy oneshot or short story, or expanding on a story that might not have been told.What's your favorite genre to write about?My favourite genre to write about I guess would have to be comedy. However, I do like to write the occasional action story (see: Avalanche and Tahu vs. Tahu) when I think it's an idea worthy enough.Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries?I post stories because I have so many ideas in my head, and I like to see what the readers enjoy. If I enjoyed writing it and they enjoyed reading it, then I'll make more. I don't have as much time to read other entires as I used to, but if I'm entering a contest in, say, Short Stories, I try to read as many of the other entries as possible to see who I'm going to lose to. :P Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall?Generally I actually write Comedies more (shame on you for ignoring them!), since I find that it takes less time usually to jot down a quick chapter focused on humour. I also tend to enjoy reading the comedies more. However, I do like the occasional short story and I enjoy writing them myself when I do.Contest ideas for the Library?Tough nut to crack here. Perhaps for Comedies, spoofing a scene from the movies or books?The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done?The most difficult to write story... most likely either What Lurks Below or Tahu vs. Tahu. For longest, short story wise it's What Lurks Below, but Tahu vs. Tahu is my longest running story with 30+ actual chapters. My shortest stories I don't really want to talk about, as most of the stuff I've written under 1000 words is less than impressive. I guess Fear would work though. For easiest, probably The Trial and Execution of Makuta Teridax, The Tyranny of Black Six and the Staff, or How to Be a Hero. Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites?Once more, how dare you leave out Comedies! I don't really read Epics, but I enjoyed Aderia's entry in SSC #8 and Grant Sud's SSC #8 entry. For Comedies I like the Transonicle series and Aftermath 2. I also liked Mata-Nui High School, A Day in the Life of Gregf, and My Life with the Bionicles, but all of those are on the Archive and haven't been updated for a long time.-ibrow

I'll answer a few of these, even though I'm a new comer to the Library.Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall?I both enjoy and write Short Stories more, for I lack an attention span.Contest ideas for the Library? Every entry must be about a certian villian, hero, and location. Hard, but would be interesting.The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done? Into the West, Into the West, Rivalry, and Blood on the Sand.

pNNgXax.jpg

What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories?I like writing about memorable heroes and villains, along with characters that might not be important at first, but gain significance over time.What's your favorite genre to write about?I like Action and Adventure fics, though I touch on Thrillers too. I rarely write pure Romance stories; I prefer keeping it as a sub-genre in my stories.Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries? I post stories because I like writing them and I like it when other people like them too. I try to read other stories when I can, but these days I mostly read stories written by my friends. =/ Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall?I like both Epics and Short Stories, but I enjoy writing Epics more. There isn't the pressure of putting a beginning, middle, and end all in one story -- I have more time to flesh out characters and senarios. Contest ideas for the Library?More Epics contests. Maybe a story where you have to use one character or senario in all fics? The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done?Difficult: Break of Day. I still haven't broken my Writer's Block. >.<Longest: At this point, Wings. Not only is it extending past my norm (22 chapters per epic), the forum upgrades made me delay writing it.Shortest: =/ I'm not sure. Maybe the original Heroes and Halflings. I think that took me two months to finish that.Easiest: Ghost. I think I finished and posted the story within four hours. Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites?SS's:

• [*]Anything written by Saya, Kagha, and RepicheepXXII[*]Mistletoe by Peach 00

Epics:

• [*]Glitch in the System by Lady Kopaka[*]The Painmaker by Saya[*]Daybreak by Kagha[*]Danger Close by Peach 00

(I'll probably add to the list as more come to me. :P)-Inferna

Generally I actually write Comedies more (shame on you for ignoring them!), since I find that it takes less time usually to jot down a quick chapter focused on humour. I also tend to enjoy reading the comedies more. However, I do like the occasional short story and I enjoy writing them myself when I do.Contest ideas for the Library?Tough nut to crack here. Perhaps for Comedies, spoofing a scene from the movies or books?The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done?The most difficult to write story... most likely either What Lurks Below or Tahu vs. Tahu. For longest, short story wise it's What Lurks Below, but Tahu vs. Tahu is my longest running story with 30+ actual chapters. My shortest stories I don't really want to talk about, as most of the stuff I've written under 1000 words is less than impressive. I guess Fear would work though. For easiest, probably The Trial and Execution of Makuta Teridax, The Tyranny of Black Six and the Staff, or How to Be a Hero.Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites?Once more, how dare you leave out Comedies! I don't really read Epics, but I enjoyed Aderia's entry in SSC #8 and Grant Sud's SSC #8 entry. For Comedies I like the Transonicle series and Aftermath 2. I also liked Mata-Nui High School, A Day in the Life of Gregf, and My Life with the Bionicles, but all of those are on the Archive and haven't been updated for a long time.-ibrow

Yeah, for a Library discussion topic, the comedic hate is unimpressive. It is a part of the Library guys, much as some of us would like to ignore it. :POn that note, I'll add that my favorite comedies are ibrow's How to be a Hero and Toa of Nerds' comedies.

Nice topic idea!What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories?I suppose both of my stories so far have focused on the idea of moving forward in spite of life-changing events. I mean, the characters have gone through a lot of pretty crazy stuff; the question is, how can they respond to all of it beyond "okay, this happened, let's move on"? But this is going off a guy with two short stories, so maybe it's just coincidence.What's your favorite genre to write about?Whatever comes to mind, I guess. As per above, though, I like to have characters be fairly important.Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries?Honestly, I write because it's a good way to let off stress. There's something very satisfying about writing something and seeing the final product (though I usually need some sort of stimulus to get myself going, which is why all my stories thus far have been contest entries). As for finding time for reading other stories... easier said than done, unfortunately. I do try to make an effort to read most of the other entries in contests I've entered, though.Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall?Short stories; I've got no objections to epics, and I've even got one or two ideas for one in the back of my mind, but I've always enjoyed using a short story to explore an idea. I also usually don't have a lot of free time to write, so a short story is much more convenient for me.Contest ideas for the Library?The return of Library Olympics sounds good, as mentioned above. Maybe also working with a partner?The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done?Both of my stories were about the same length. I'd say "Fractures" was harder than "An Aftermath", if only because it was the first story I'd written in... I don't even know how long. It was also written in a pretty short period of time (I hadn't made up my mind to enter until shortly before the deadline) and with liberal use of BS01 (which was down at the time, so I had to use Google Cache). My COT story was probably tougher than either of them, though, and I'd call that my weakest work - I still like the idea, but frankly speaking I just wasn't ready to try and write a 'mystery' under the limitations of making the whole thing police transcripts, especially given I sometimes have a hard enough time getting ideas across even in standard narration.Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites?Like I said above, I don't have as much time to read as I'd like, so this is going to be pretty barren. Two that come to mind recently are Kagha's Time and Tide and Paleo's Care. I'll also always have a soft spot for GaliGee's works, since I remember loving them when I first came here.

Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

What ideas do I like to portray? Courage, character, and a Karz of a lot of determination. Endurance. Morals. Awesomeness.What's my favorite genre to write about? Action-adventure. Mystery stories I write always end up easily figured out. And I can't resist putting an epic battle at the climax of literally everything I ever write, so...yeah.Why do I post stories? For fun, to get feedback, or just because I have awesome ideas and need a place for them. When do I find time to read other entries? To be honest, rarely. But that's only because my creativity is dominated by comics.Epics or Short Stories? Doesn't matter to me. I prefer reading Short Stories and posting Epics, because I am pressed for time. Also, if I posted a Short Story, there would be no plot, just a massive fight. Not very impressive.Contest Ideas? Got nothing original, really.Most difficult was Attack of the Bohrok. The collecting of Krana was TEDIOUS to write. Longest was that epic I wrote and did not post yet about the Seventh Toa. Still, that was FUN to write.Shortest was Revenge of the Bahrag, another epic that is not posted, and details the Bohrok-Kal saga.Easiest was...oh wait. None of them were very easy.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories? I like to portray moral ambiguity best of all, and while I haven't really gotten around to it yet, characters in The Best Kept Secrets will end up in situations that will test their own concepts of morality.What's your favorite genre to write about? Action, mystery, adventure. Journeys, preferably.Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries? I post stories because I love writing and I want to be able to create something that other people can enjoy. I'm not overly sure if I've even achieved that.Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall? Epics. I get more leg room to write with those and can take things much further. Also cliffhangers, which I love.Contest ideas for the Library? I'm not good at ideas. Preferably some more stuff with epics though.The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done? I've only ever written The Best Kept Secrets seriously. That is without a doubt the longest and most difficult thing I've ever written.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the answers to the questions above, and I noticed HH's comment about recording feedback, which is really great. After reading over these, I realized I should have probably written my own answers up at the top of the page. lol So I did that.And I'm sorry about the absence of Comedy acknowledgement, but that's because I honestly haven't gotten into the Comedies area too much. Doesn't mean it can't be discussed though!A couple other questions I'd like to throw out (and by all means, if anyone has some themselves). Does anyone listen to music while they write their stories, or even take inspiration from that music they heard before? AND can you associate any songs to your own stories?For me personally I can add a couple. Whenever I need a battle scene I'll get something that feels like a rising anticipation.And I noticed Writer's Block was mentioned. What do you do to get over it?Honestly for me, it's tough. And some times I have to scap an idea or even part of a story to get out of it. Other times, writing a complete outline for the story's plot gives me some direction as to where I'd like to take it. Maybe one for character development and another for story direction.

Edited by The Great Grant in the Sky

Does anyone listen to music while they write their stories, or even take inspiration from that music they heard before? AND can you associate any songs to your own stories?All the time. Heck, just look at my sig, right there is a song I use to listen to as I write, and there are songs I take inspiration from. For example, the last minute of "Assassin's Creed Theme" from the soundtrack to Assassin's Creed: Revelations inspired an upcoming scene related to Jaller in The Best Kept Secrets. "The Life and Death of Amy Pond" helped me think up the ending.But what I usually do is add themes to characters to help me write their personalities. I've added "Room of Your Dreams" from the Doctor Who series 6 soundtrack to Xavor and Zhorya which helps me think of the way they talk, the way they behave, heck, even the way they walk. It just fits them so well.And I noticed Writer's Block was mentioned. What do you do to get over itThere's little I can do. I usually get it when I haven't been reading for a period of time, so to combat this I just pick up a book and delve in. But if I'm pressing against a deadline, I'll go and write it all out, as I did with Chapter 16, which I didn't like. But at least it's out for whoever wanted to read it.

Edited by The Wretched Automaton

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

And I'm sorry about the absence of Comedy acknowledgement, but that's because I honestly haven't gotten into the Comedies area too much. Doesn't mean it can't be discussed though!I haven't done Comedies work in years now. I don't have any plans to return any time soon...it's just not something I enjoyed doing as much.Does anyone listen to music while they write their stories, or even take inspiration from that music they heard before? AND can you associate any songs to your own stories?Constantly! I play a lot of video game music to match the mood of what's going on as I write, and the ideas of certain music have attributed to different stories. My last epic, Dynamic Paradigm, was very much influenced by the music of Keane, in particular the album Under the Iron Sea (the epic's ending was written with their song The Frog Prince in mind). The epic before that, Scions, had some Coldplay influence to it - mostly the X&Y album (Talk, A Message, White Shadows to name a few that helped). Right now, I'm writing an epic that draws some inspiration from the music of the Eagles. So yes, music has played (no pun intended) a strong role in some of the themes and turns that my work covers. At least with epics.And I noticed Writer's Block was mentioned. What do you do to get over it?I hadn't really encountered it much in my earlier writing days, but the start of this post recently explained a bout of my writer's block and how I got past it.-Ced

When I write, I like my peace and quiet. Sometimes, however, I'll listen to a song before I write to get me in the mood. I don't normally assoiciate songs with stories much, but Bye Bye Babylon was about the same mood as my story Fire. Outlines don't help me, at least with short fiction - they choke off ideas and limit me. If I have the story all planned out from the beginning to the end, there's no point in writing it - that causes writer's block, not the other way about. As long as I'm writing something new and exciting, I don't suffer from blockage of thought.  One thing that prevents that is reading this forum, actually - it gives me some of the ideas which become stories.

And I'm sorry about the absence of Comedy acknowledgement, but that's because I honestly haven't gotten into the Comedies area too much. Doesn't mean it can't be discussed though!Frankly, neither have I, so I guess we're both guilty of that. I do have an idea for a very lighthearted story that I suppose would count as a comedy, but I need to flesh it out a bit more in my head before I try writing it.Does anyone listen to music while they write their stories, or even take inspiration from that music they heard before? AND can you associate any songs to your own stories?Sometimes I do, but if I do I make sure to reread the scene afterwards without music. Music can add a lot to a scene, and if you're not paying attention you might think you've written something really great when it was really just your playlist.And I noticed Writer's Block was mentioned. What do you do to get over it?Usually I just barrel through it. I'll take a brief break, but I mostly make myself sit down and write something. Even if all I can come up with is something really dumb, it lets me say, 'well, I don't want that'. Then again, this really works best for working within small sections of plot - if I were to write a longer piece, I'm sure I'd have to adjust my strategy when I hit a big gap in the plot.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

And I'm sorry about the absence of Comedy acknowledgement, but that's because I honestly haven't gotten into the Comedies area too much. Doesn't mean it can't be discussed though!

I've only recently gotten back into Comedies after a several year hiatus (during which I primarily wrote Epics and Short Stories). I like to write Comedies every now and then, but personally I prefer Epics and Short Stories.

Does anyone listen to music while they write their stories, or even take inspiration from that music they heard before? AND can you associate any songs to your own stories?

Of course. When I write, I listen to music because it helps block out the early morning sounds of my family getting up and having breakfast and doing chores and all that. Helps me concentrate.And I do take inspiration from music I've heard before. In fact, I'd say music is one of my most frequent sources of inspiration. Listening to an awesome song really makes me excited for a story idea, which is one way I fight writers' block (see below).Having said that, no, I can't associate any one song or piece of music with any one of my stories. I've never done that and to be frank I don't really want to. It's just not my thing.

And I noticed Writer's Block was mentioned. What do you do to get over it?

As I said before, listening to music can be extremely helpful in battling writers' block. It has to be good music, though, because I've discvered that listening to boring or uninteresting music actually saps my inspiration and creativity. I'm not sure why, but that's what happens, which is why I try to listen to music I like whenever I write.Sometimes, though, even music I like can't break my writers' block. Sometimes, it's simply because I need to take a break from this particular story or maybe I need to think through a certain scene before I write it. Or maybe I need to do some quick research to determine how something is done or how a certain character would act in that situation.BTW, is it "Writer's Block" or "writers' block"? I prefer the second, but what do the rest of y'all think?Edit: Er, now that I think about it, "writer's block" makes more sense. So whatever.-TNTOS- Edited by TNTOS

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

A Writerly Blog

The Biological Chronicle: (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) (2008) (2009) (2010)

EDIT: ^^^ I've always said "writer's block," TNTOS.

When I write, I like my peace and quiet. Sometimes, however, I'll listen to a song before I write to get me in the mood. I don't normally assoiciate songs with stories much, but Bye Bye Babylon was about the same mood as my story Fire.Outlines don't help me, at least with short fiction - they choke off ideas and limit me. If I have the story all planned out from the beginning to the end, there's no point in writing it - that causes writer's block, not the other way about. As long as I'm writing something new and exciting, I don't suffer from blockage of thought. One thing that prevents that is reading this forum, actually - it gives me some of the ideas which become stories.

I'm the exact opposite about outlining. I used to approach a story the way you describe with epics, by keeping that "new and exciting" vibe by coming up with the next chapter right after I posted one. The problem was that I sometimes wanted to skip back and make some plot alteration, and devoted readers would miss it because they already read those earlier chapters. Outlining gives me a chance to lay out an entire writing project and then skip around, depending on what ideas feel more vivid at the moment. If I want to write one of the last chapters, I can. If I want to leap back into the middle and do some writing there, I can.There was also the issue that I wanted to keep a set schedule of one chapter per week. Unfortunately, my penchant for laziness/procrastination didn't always work out with that schedule. To be more punctual for my readers, it was easier to finish a whole story before posting it. And an outline definitely sped up that process. The last drawback I've found to not outlining is when you want to change something. There's nothing more annoying for a reader than when the writer decides to retcon something and you have to go back and read what changed. Editing a story is fine when you're talking about grammar/spelling errors, but plot modification can really screw up the readers. It can also a lock a writer down a set story road and force certain events to change. I like the freedom of writing, not "painting myself into a corner" if I can avoid it.-Ced Edited by Cederak

I used to approach a story the way you describe with epics, by keeping that "new and exciting" vibe by coming up with the next chapter right after I posted one. The problem was that I sometimes wanted to skip back and make some plot alteration, and devoted readers would miss it because they already read those earlier chapters.

You know you can write the whole story the way fishers described and then start posting once it's all written, right? That's what I do. I do usually have some fairly clear ideas in my head of where it's going, but otherwise I let it write itself (I've written about this on my blog; I call it the "Arena Method"). And once it's all written, or sometimes while it's being written, I do go back and change things. Just did that last night to a story I'm working on in fact. ^_^I experimented once with posting a story as I wrote it and it didn't end well, lol. I still haven't finished it. So I would recommend always, always finishing the story before you start posting. :) (But maybe that's just me lol.) And I always re-read each chapter just before posting, often making last minute changes.Another thing I usually do is what I call a "trackline." I would let the story write itself, but I would jot down super-brief summaries of each section, so I could quickly consult the trackline if I started to forget what I'd already written, and if I realized I had to change something I could quickly figure out where it was. So it's sort of an outline in reverse -- the problem with outlining is it usually forces the story down roads it wouldn't logically take since it's so hard to predict all the factors until you actually sit down and write it, but this doesn't guide story, it just summarizes it.Although the one I'm writing now I haven't used a trackline for and for some reason I haven't felt like I needed it (probably because there's only three character POVs, so it's simpler than most stories I've written). Plus I've started to use a memory-improving technique with my more recent stories so I haven't been as forgetful about what I've written.Another thing I sometimes do, if some dreaded real life thing forces me to delay continuing to write, I will jot down the basic idea I have of the next few sections as an outline, purely so that I don't forget what ideas I had at the time, but never treat it as set in stone. Ironically, almost every time I've done that I've realized even that brief outline is wrong, and the story would really go a very different way. :lol: Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

You know you can write the whole story the way fishers described and then start posting once it's all written, right?

Oh yeah, I've just taken a preference to writing with an outline. Even if I change most of it later, having an idea of taking the story somewhere beforehand just works for me.

I experimented once with posting a story as I wrote it and it didn't end well, lol.

I did that with my first five epics...maybe more. I think a number of writers in the library use that process, and from experience, it can be stressful if you hold yourself to a timetable.-Ced

You know you can write the whole story the way fishers described and then start posting once it's all written, right?

Oh yeah, I've just taken a preference to writing with an outline. Even if I change most of it later, having an idea of taking the story somewhere beforehand just works for me.

I experimented once with posting a story as I wrote it and it didn't end well, lol.

I did that with my first five epics...maybe more. I think a number of writers in the library use that process, and from experience, it can be stressful if you hold yourself to a timetable.-Ced
It's probably just me, but I can't stand that. If I know where my story is going, or if it has to go a certain direction, it just doesn't work out. Further, if my plot spirals off in a certain direction I hadn't intended, I just go with that. I can't paint myself into a corner because my story doesn't have any walls! But maybe that's because I don't go off on really crazy tangents that leave me dissatisfied later. It's just how my mind works. If I have a writing problem, it's that my stories aren't exciting enough for other people, not that I become angry with myself for what happened. I don't get people yelling at me for being crazy and illogical, I just get silence. Lots and lots of silence. :)And I've done both the post-as-you-go and the finish-it-all first models. It depends on the work - sometimes I have to finish it all, because I really don't know where my story is going so much that I don't even know where the chapter breaks best fit! :) That said, as (ironically) my seventh grade math teacher said, "Whatever works for you". If you need an outline(and it helps you), go for it! The methods of writing are as diverse as the writers. :) Edited by fishers64

I don't think I'll do any comedies any time soon, mostly because the last story/song I wrote in there was butchered by the onslaught of popular stuff that was already there, so it got virtually no comments. ._. I frequently listen to music when I'm writing, but I listen to one song if I'm trying to transplant the emotion/idea of the song I'm listening to into the story I'm writing, or just convert the song into words and make the story a songfic.Personally, trying to get over writer's block is like jumping over a double-decker bus for me. Another way of putting it is, going through one hallway, and having to open door after door after door, just to find out somebody just keeps on putting doors in front of me to open. If it's anything like Bugs Bunny, I'll eventually find a TNT crate somewhere at the end. :P But it is difficult to get over it, absolutely no writing inspiration comes to me, and even the smallest creative spark I get I turn into a flop. I more or less patiently wait until a decent idea comes along, and after that decent idea comes another and another after that.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Personally, trying to get over writer's block is like jumping over a double-decker bus for me. Another way of putting it is, going through one hallway, and having to open door after door after door, just to find out somebody just keeps on putting doors in front of me to open. If it's anything like Bugs Bunny, I'll eventually find a TNT crate somewhere at the end. :P But it is difficult to get over it, absolutely no writing inspiration comes to me, and even the smallest creative spark I get I turn into a flop. I more or less patiently wait until a decent idea comes along, and after that decent idea comes another and another after that.

My advice for anybody who gets serious writer's block like this is to focus not on what you want to happen next but on what really logically would happen next. What would the antagonist want to do in response to what the good guys have done, and vice versa? How would the protagonist be feeling right now (that one is especially important)? What natural problems might they run into, like perhaps weather or an accident or a breakdown?Perhaps most importantly, what are your antagonist's goals, and your protagonist's goals? If you have a strong grasp on those, it is usually not only easy to continue but hard to keep up with the flow of ideas. If you don't feel like you have a good enough grasp on those, realize that it's good to take the time to think it through; too often writers get the wrong idea that any pause in writing is bad. No, you're still working while you're thinking. Often the best writing is whatever the author took more time thinking through than what the reader takes in reading, so we authors come across as a lot smarter than we really are. :PIn other words, don't look at it as writer's block but as research and thinking time. :) As part of the process.

bones makes a good point. Whenever I hit writer's block, it is usually a sign that I need to take a step back and think about that particular scene or character I am writing.After I've given it some thought, then I return to it and it usually goes by much easier than before. It really does help to think through certain scenes before writing them (which isn't the same as outlining, though it is similar I guess).So in a way, at least for me, writer's block isn't so bad after all (unless you absolutely cannot get rid of it, in which case I have nothing to say to that).-TNTOS-

A Writerly Blog

• 5 weeks later...

What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories?Just whatever, really...for my Bionicle stories they were mostly just various ideas that I had. With my current writing, I try to portray certain themes in my stories, but they are all non-Bionicle.What's your favorite genre to write about?Crime, Thriller, War, and "emotional" -- I really like to put a lot of emotions in my story.Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries?I post stories because I enjoy receiving feedback from other members. Sometimes I can be incredibly busy, but I try to review a story whenever I have some extra time; usually during breaks from school or on the weekend.Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall? For BZPower, Short Stories. In real life I prefer novels to short stories. I definitely enjoy writing short stories more, but then again I've never completed an epic/novel, but I am try to do one soon so we'll see how that goes. Contest ideas for the Library?Many. But those shall remain a secret. For now.The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done?Out of my stories on BZPower, none of them were really "difficult" -- they all came at bursts of inspiration, and I didn't specifically try to write any of them, they just came to me in the moment; therefore they are also all very easy for me. My longest is most-likely "Souvenirs." My shortest would be any of the write-offs I have posted.Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites?Oh, so so many. Too many to list. To be extremely general, and I am definitely leaving a lot of people out (unintentionally -- I'm tired and not thinking about everything clearly), but: I enjoy everything from Lady Kopaka, ToM Dracone, Takuta-Nui, Tolkien, Cederak, Nuju Metru, 55555, Kakaru, Ezorov, Ballom, GSR, and I know there's so many others I'm missing. newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories?I don't know. I liked writing stories about new Toa and change, because I'd just started becoming a teenager.What's your favorite genre to write about?I used to love romance, but now my OTPs will ruin everyone elses childhoods. (Onuwa and Kohatu - figure those ridiculusly simple ones out!). I'd say now that I like Bionicle/human stories and Human Bionicle. I mostly like the ones that aren't too heavy, but poignant.Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries?I don't anymore.Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall?I preferred Short Stories because... Well... I was writing a story for another fandom and wanted to finish it by February.Contest ideas for the Library?I'd like a contest about Metru Nui, because that's where I want(ed) to live where I grow up. XP GregF, what were you thinking when you put a massive moon rock in my childhood dream!The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done?Most difficult - Bionicle of Rinu Nui. It was my first fanfic, ever.Longest - Bionicle of Rinu Nui. About 100 words per chapter. For me of long ago, that was exhausting.Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites?Walking Her Home by Aderia. I literally went and looked for it on the entire internet once the forums went down, and got the song on my MP3.GaliGee's stories. They were just so fun to read!Most of Inferna's stories. This girl could write the next Inkheart. Her stories literally absorbed me in the same way as that series.

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories?Just the stuff that's usually done in BIONICLE. Journey's, how people change, epic fights, the usual.What's your favorite genre to write about?Expanded Multiverse is the medium I tend to use most, but I enjoy writing about stuff that fits in with the official storyline, and usually of a similar genre to it.Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries?When I get an idea that's worth writing about, I write about it. I don't tend to read epics, I occassionally go through comedies, and might look over a particularly popular short story, but only when I haven't found something to do in other forumsDo you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall?I like the idea of epics, but I never seem to have the stamina for them. :P I enjoy writing both, but when I write epics, I tend to tail off and not finish well, whereas I feel my short stories aren't really "short".Contest ideas for the Library?Anything that suits me really. Which essentially means, not Lord of the Rings :P A BIONICLE horror story would be something I'd be interested to see, but whether or not content is suitable might cause limitations.The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done?Longest and most difficult are the same, Escape the Mind was an epic I started a while back. I'd like to repost it and finish it some time, and improve it.The easiest would be High-Fly Matoran (See my sig), but only because it was shorter than most of my work, and had a simple storyline.Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites?I forget the name, but that Short Story SPIRIT did about a possible end for BIONICLE, where Mata Nui turns out to be a scientist human. Also Fractures, the winner of SSC8 by GSR. Thought I might be in with a shot with that contest, then he comes out with that.

Edited by Taipu1

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories? Living and Dying is a main one of mine.What's your favorite genre to write about? I don't have one. I mainly write a story tuned to my emotions at the moment.Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries? I post stories to get feedback on them. It also brings a low-level of joy to see that people enjoy reading them. I try to read as many stories as I can, but there's only so many I actually will comment in.Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall? Oh, jeez this is hard. SS's for me are a tad more enjoyable. The short story makes it easy to follow but it can still be beautiful. Epics are great, but some stories seem, to me, to be a little complicated. Although I like the characters that are portrayed in Epics, as there is more room to explain them.Contest ideas for the Library? None at the moment.The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done? My Old Friend, a SS of mine was the easiest I've written. The Mystery of Death, another SS then mine was the shortest and most difficult to write to date.Short Stories and Epics that are your favorites? That's like asking my favorite flavor of Pie.

WIP

First off, I really love this topic. I just hardcore creeped on like everything. While I was supposed to be doing my homework *winner*AnywaysWhat ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories?Aha, so many things. Inspiration tends to hit me when listening to songs. Other times, some book I've read, or movie I've seen. And so any plot bunnies spawned by said inspiration usually resemble it in some way. What's your favorite genre to write about?Nothing specific, just whatever I feel like, although I haven't tried horror or mystery or suspense. Or romance much for that matter. I should change that. I also want to bracnh out and read some of the comedies on this forum when I have time. Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries?Not gonna lie, I post my stories so I can see how many people like them. And when they don't they usually post why not, and it all goes to make me a better writer.When I'm looking for a muse or something, or just a good read, I look at other stories. Also, when other authors drop a review, I check out their work and if I have time and/or like their stories, I return the favor. Do you enjoy Epics or Short Stories more and which do you enjoy writing for overall?It really depends. Epics, I love the whole plannining process. I could stay up all night and plan an epic of wow-ing proportion (been there, done that) and then lose interest when I actually sit down to write it, unfortunately. But for Short Stories, I usually have to be able to sit down and write it in one sititng. And which one's I like to read more, again, it depends. Epics I usually shy away from, due to their length, most of them. But being part of the ECC has helped me get over that. Short Stories have to grab my interest right away and keep it, but when they do that, I usually really enjoy them, enough to leave a review. The most difficult, the longest, shortest and easiest written and published stories you've done?Most difficult - All Our Sins Remembered, SSC8 Entry, or Second to None, an Earth crossover fic that's so difficult that it's still stuck in the same place as about a year ago. (slated for major rewrite this summer)Longest- Poison That Saves, an old Epic and its many drafted sequels, totaling just a bit under200,000 wordsShortest- Black Diamonds, Short Story about the Dark HuntersEasiest- Reality's Fantasy, short poem-fic written on a whimShort Stories and Epics that are your favorites?Oh, gosh, so many. Both individuals and authors alike. I'm gonna name as many as I can tho.Two epics I can name right off the top of my head are: 'Second Chance' by Grant-Sud and Zo'Tomana and 'The Best Kept Secrets' by The Wretched Automaton (who goes by a new name that I can't put a finger on at the moment)Short Stories, there are too many to name, but anything by Zarayna, Tyler Durden, Grant-Sud, GSR, Peach00, Inferna, Nick SilverPen, Spyder Ryder, Nuile, and Tolkein (Edit) Riisiing Moon, I usually love. (list subject to expansion)Getting over writer's block?Use a chainsaw or blowtorch :biggrin: aha, j/k, sometimes it just goes away on its own, other times i have to wrestle with it,and some cases of my writers block are still there.

Does anyone listen to music while they write their stories, or even take inspiration from that music they heard before? AND can you associate any songs to yourown stories?

Yes, I love listening to music when I write, I think I mentioned before that lots of my inspiration is from songs and music. All my songfics can be associated to my stories, I love the use of lyrics in stories :)Also, this might just be me, but I've been trying to write something other than Bionicle Fanfiction for a while, but I'm...stuck, for lack of a better term. I've been trying to write an original piece for the longest time, but then I end up scrapping any ideas and writing something about a bio-mechanical sapien with kick-butt elemental powers. Any help?Another thing, I've recently started RPing in the BZPRPG, and I've seen some familiar names from the library around. Do you notice your RPing helping with your stories and/or vice versa? Edited by Zosia Darr

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

Another thing, I've recently started RPing in the BZPRPG, and I've seen some familiar names from the library around. Do you notice your RPing helping with your stories and/or vice versa?

Without a doubt, yes. It gives me a nice character template that I already have created, and from there, I can apply characterization to the characters I would otherwise spend weeks trying to figure out. Knowing what makes someone tick before writing their experiences is a huge time saver and it helps preserve quality and realism.-Teezy

SAY IT ONE MORE TIME 

TELL ME WHAT IS ON YOUR MIND

Another thing, I've recently started RPing in the BZPRPG, and I've seen some familiar names from the library around. Do you notice your RPing helping with your stories and/or vice versa?

Without a doubt, yes. It gives me a nice character template that I already have created, and from there, I can apply characterization to the characters I would otherwise spend weeks trying to figure out. Knowing what makes someone tick before writing their experiences is a huge time saver and it helps preserve quality and realism.-Teezy
That, and the fact that it gives me the chance to use language in ways I normally don't use it. It also helps with grammar and spelling in general!

WIP

What ideas do you like to portray in your Bionicle Stories?nothing specific, i've only just started writing myself. What's your favorite genre to write about?adventure, and things i haven't seen in the library before.Why do you post stories and when do you find time to read other entries?mostly, i read other entries which usually inspire me Contest ideas for the Library?i like the idea of collaboratives i've seen, and i also like the idea of songfics, i don't know if those contests have been done before thoShort Stories and Epics that are your favorites?i dunno, there are a lot of seperate stories i like, but as authors, Grant Sud, Fisher64, Cederak, Cap'n K, Kagha, GSR, and Aderia (especially, cuz i got to meet her in person) are some of my favorites.also, i really like this topic, all the famous writers here share their thoughts and its like i have a front row seat :D

What do y'all like better, script or prose?Personally, I prefer prose. Script should only be used if you're writing an actual script for, say, a TV show or movie or something, or a play. I used to use script form for my Comedies back in the day, but I scrapped it and haven't used it since. After all, if I'm not writing scripts or plays, there's not much reason for me to use it.That's how I look at it, anyway. Not hating on anyone who does use script. I just find it unnecessary except, again, if you're writing a real script or play. Those are really, IMO, the only places it should be used.-TNTOS-

A Writerly Blog

Agreed. As far as I can recall I've never actually written anything in script format.What it could be useful for, though, is choreographing more action-filled scenes - it seems to me that if you wanted to plot one of those out, having a script version before you started writing the prose could be a useful guide.

I'm a prose kinda chick ;) I haven't been exposed to much script writing outside of English class. But one thing I do want to do is read the script and screenplay from a movie one day.

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

I find script is tends to be more funny in a comedy then prose. It's more fast paced, witty and slapstick. Prose, however, can also be good, but I haven't seen it used in a comedy I really like. Mata Nui High School, my favorite comedy, was written in script.

WIP