Bionicle Minecraft Modification!

Click

Wait, tomorrow? Why'd I bother putting together my modding set-up? I thought it was coming out...next week. Why'd I bother doing it still? I've been trying to get to it, but something always comes up. I've got a few projects to finish, and then school, and work, etc, so I haven't had much spare time.

I have an idea for powerless kanohi. Maybe, you add another "hunger bar" that tells your limit of how long you can go without a mask. Unlike the health bar, this one is very slow, since it would take a few minecraft days to find the materials to build it. I'm thinking maybe you fill the entire crafting table with iron, and replace the bottom middle one with redstone. Once you do wear a mask, the mask limit bar goes away, untill you take off the mask.
Possibly, but for the first little bit, the only way to get masks will be dead Matoran. I don't want a Matoran slaughterfest, so I'll think about it. I really want to be canon, so I might put it in. I've just been worried about how to implement it so you don't die if you can't make a mask. Since you're a Toa, I was just thinking the mask would be neccessary for elemental powers, making you seem "weakened" without it.
Is it going to be in a new dimension?
Probably not, that would be a pain.
I have an idea. Could you give a special generator to the world options? For example, the world of BIONICLE or island of Mata Nui.
Maybe, if I can figure that out, but probably not, since it would involve editing blocks through coding on a massive scale. Edited by Click

1. I was planning on tools being crafted out of elemental shards (found from defeating various elemental mobs), and then enchanted to get their various abilities. Maybe not unbreakable, since they should be somewhat easy to get, but also they would last longer than the average tool.
Hm... perhaps the tools could be crafted from the Elemental Shards, and automatically gain their special abilities once crafted? I know from experience that sometimes, getting a Crafting Table can take a while for newer or slower players.
2. I have absolutely no idea how to make a water jet, but I'll do my best. I would really like it as well though!
I suppose you could have a slow push-back effect, similar in coding to Soul Sand decreasing mobility, for any targeted enemies? And have the entity itself be a water-textured projectile stream, which deals small amounts of multi-hit damage? I'm unsure about spawning the water block, but it could feasibly work similarly to a bucket.
3. Same for pillar of earth, but I'll probably just make an entity (like Minecarts, active TNT, etc.) so it looks nice.
Yeah, that's probably the best option. The trick would be coding it to have the texture of the surrounding ground, but I suppose you could just make a bunch of alternate textures for each possible block type.
4. Mining to recharge Earth energy is awesome!
Thanks! Of course, the downside is that you can't actually obtain materials the require certain tools that way... so just avoid mining diamonds and the like, and you're right! :P
5. I'm not sure about the stone boulder, it wouldn't look very Minecraft-like, but I can't really think of any other options for stone.
I would suggest looking at either the boulder piece packaged with Pohatu or the MNOLG depiction of those pieces and making it in the style of a mob, with some textures from the surrounding rock. Hm.
6. I'm thinking that powerless Kanohi will maybe be forgable, or you can trade for them in Ta-Koro or something, and then powered masks (at least in the Mata-Nui modification) will have to be found. Otherwise, great ideas, and it's nice to not need a button.
Alright, that works.
7. Huna can probably be same as invisibility potion, so hopefully that will come out before I get that far.
Alright. I just tried to make it behave similarly to the way it does in-story; perhaps the Minecraft invisibility coding'll work better as long as the Huna has a time limit.
8. Rau is a brilliant idea, maybe it would help to read Matoran signs to get through difficult areas in mask dungeons or tricks to defeat Makuta or something.
Alright. I read something about taming Bohrok after removing their Krana in a future 2002 moderator, perhaps you could incorporate the ability to make taming easier (think of the Great version; it wasn't even in the Noble version to be technical) on the current Rau and incorporate Bohrok as a later tameable mob.
9. Mahiki and Komau are also just brilliant. You found some great powers for some difficult masks that transfer well.
Thanks!
10. I also love the Ice Shield and Foot Addition kick idea, if I can figure that out.
I suppose the Foot Additions' attack animation could be based on the sprint animation for one leg, and possibly incorporate some torso lean during the wind-up.
Just, in general, great ideas! I really hope I can use them!
Thanks... again. :P
I agree with Click, Meta, those ideas are great!
Well... uh... thanks!
I especially like the Feet Additions and Turaga Tools... I have a brother who is really big on Pohatu and those Feet Additions of his, and if that could be added... well, it would make his day. And mine.
Personally, I always agreed that the Foot Additions were neat Toa Tools, and figured that they should show up here at the very least. :P
Also, another request: Could you add a simple option to play without the moderator on? No special mobs or items spawning? There are probably going to be times when I'd just like to play default Minecraft, without Rahi running around... plus they'd probably creep my sisters out. :P
I second this notion... though perhaps you could include the ability to turn off various aspects, such as spawning in the Mata Nui map or not, Elemental Armor being able to be created and Kanohi spawning, and Rahi. I'd love to go around torching Creepers with Tahu's Fire Sword. :P
Possibly, but for the first little bit, the only way to get masks will be dead Matoran. I don't want a Matoran slaughterfest, so I'll think about it. I really want to be canon, so I might put it in. I've just been worried about how to implement it so you don't die if you can't make a mask. Since you're a Toa, I was just thinking the mask would be neccessary for elemental powers, making you seem "weakened" without it.
You could always spawn the player with some equipment. For example, you could spawn the player like the Toa Mata (with a random set of elemental gear) when they first spawned, then just give them a powerless Kanohi upon respawning - or give them poweless Kanohi all the time.
Maybe, if I can figure that out, but probably not, since it would involve editing blocks through coding on a massive scale.
I seem to recall a team which is working on a Bionicle-Minecraft movie, who have skins and a Mata Nui map which they made for that purpose. Perhaps you could contact them about collaborating on the map portion of this modIFICATION? (What have I done; I called it a moderator.)
Hey, I have an idea for getting the powerless mask. Maybe, when you defeat a rahi, it drops an "infected mask" which you can cure by putting it in the crafting table. that way, it would be easy to aquire one, and the slow hunger bar would be reasonably easy to get rid of.
This is actually not a bad idea, though I think it would be interesting if giving Infected Kanohi to some Turaga could earn you minor rewards - for example, Elemental Shards or hints to Kanohi locations (on the Mata Nui map only). Edited by Meta-Mind

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

Hey, I have an idea for getting the powerless mask. Maybe, when you defeat a rahi, it drops an "infected mask" which you can cure by putting it in the crafting table. that way, it would be easy to aquire one, and the slow hunger bar would be reasonably easy to get rid of.
This is actually not a bad idea, though I think it would be interesting if giving Infected Kanohi to some Turaga could earn you minor rewards - for example, Elemental Shards or hints to Kanohi locations (on the Mata Nui map only).
That sounds cool too, maybe you can have infected kanohi do both.

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

Sounds pretty good, I have been picturing an infected mask drop, at least for Muaka and Kane-Ra. Maybe you could wear it, but it poisons you somehow?
1. I was planning on tools being crafted out of elemental shards (found from defeating various elemental mobs), and then enchanted to get their various abilities. Maybe not unbreakable, since they should be somewhat easy to get, but also they would last longer than the average tool.
Hm... perhaps the tools could be crafted from the Elemental Shards, and automatically gain their special abilities once crafted? I know from experience that sometimes, getting a Crafting Table can take a while for newer or slower players.
2. I have absolutely no idea how to make a water jet, but I'll do my best. I would really like it as well though!
I suppose you could have a slow push-back effect, similar in coding to Soul Sand decreasing mobility, for any targeted enemies? And have the entity itself be a water-textured projectile stream, which deals small amounts of multi-hit damage? I'm unsure about spawning the water block, but it could feasibly work similarly to a bucket.
3. Same for pillar of earth, but I'll probably just make an entity (like Minecarts, active TNT, etc.) so it looks nice.
Yeah, that's probably the best option. The trick would be coding it to have the texture of the surrounding ground, but I suppose you could just make a bunch of alternate textures for each possible block type.
4. Mining to recharge Earth energy is awesome!
Thanks! Of course, the downside is that you can't actually obtain materials the require certain tools that way... so just avoid mining diamonds and the like, and you're right! :P
5. I'm not sure about the stone boulder, it wouldn't look very Minecraft-like, but I can't really think of any other options for stone.
I would suggest looking at either the boulder piece packaged with Pohatu or the MNOLG depiction of those pieces and making it in the style of a mob, with some textures from the surrounding rock. Hm.
6. I'm thinking that powerless Kanohi will maybe be forgable, or you can trade for them in Ta-Koro or something, and then powered masks (at least in the Mata-Nui modification) will have to be found. Otherwise, great ideas, and it's nice to not need a button.
Alright, that works.
7. Huna can probably be same as invisibility potion, so hopefully that will come out before I get that far.
Alright. I just tried to make it behave similarly to the way it does in-story; perhaps the Minecraft invisibility coding'll work better as long as the Huna has a time limit.
8. Rau is a brilliant idea, maybe it would help to read Matoran signs to get through difficult areas in mask dungeons or tricks to defeat Makuta or something.
Alright. I read something about taming Bohrok after removing their Krana in a future 2002 moderator, perhaps you could incorporate the ability to make taming easier (think of the Great version; it wasn't even in the Noble version to be technical) on the current Rau and incorporate Bohrok as a later tameable mob.
9. Mahiki and Komau are also just brilliant. You found some great powers for some difficult masks that transfer well.
Thanks!
10. I also love the Ice Shield and Foot Addition kick idea, if I can figure that out.
I suppose the Foot Additions' attack animation could be based on the sprint animation for one leg, and possibly incorporate some torso lean during the wind-up.
Just, in general, great ideas! I really hope I can use them!
Thanks... again. :P
I agree with Click, Meta, those ideas are great!
Well... uh... thanks!
I especially like the Feet Additions and Turaga Tools... I have a brother who is really big on Pohatu and those Feet Additions of his, and if that could be added... well, it would make his day. And mine.
Personally, I always agreed that the Foot Additions were neat Toa Tools, and figured that they should show up here at the very least. :P
Also, another request: Could you add a simple option to play without the moderator on? No special mobs or items spawning? There are probably going to be times when I'd just like to play default Minecraft, without Rahi running around... plus they'd probably creep my sisters out. :P
I second this notion... though perhaps you could include the ability to turn off various aspects, such as spawning in the Mata Nui map or not, Elemental Armor being able to be created and Kanohi spawning, and Rahi. I'd love to go around torching Creepers with Tahu's Fire Sword. :P
You could always spawn the player with some equipment. For example, you could spawn the player like the Toa Mata (with a random set of elemental gear) when they first spawned, then just give them a powerless Kanohi upon respawning - or give them poweless Kanohi all the time.
Maybe, if I can figure that out, but probably not, since it would involve editing blocks through coding on a massive scale.
I seem to recall a team which is working on a Bionicle-Minecraft movie, who have skins and a Mata Nui map which they made for that purpose. Perhaps you could contact them about collaborating on the map portion of this moderator?
This is actually not a bad idea, though I think it would be interesting if giving Infected Kanohi to some Turaga could earn you minor rewards - for example, Elemental Shards or hints to Kanohi locations (on the Mata Nui map only).
1. That, or I could just make it so they gain powers once you gain all Toa Armor. Elemental Shards should be fairly easy to get, so I don't want everyone just lighting every mob they see within the first few days.2. Sounds good, but probably no damage except to Nether creatures.3. I was just going to do the whole thing dirt, since it is Earth elemental energies.4. Wait, it would destroy the ores? I don't see why bother doing that.5. Well, I know how it looks, but it wouldn't fit in in Minecraft. It just wouldn't look right. Have you seen the Sports Modification? They have spheres, and it looks really wierd.6. Okay, great.7. They both have time limits, so it should work well.8. Speed taming is one thing I really like about that, but I'm not sure about Bohrok. It was an idea, but I'm not 100% sold on it.9. You're welcome. :)10. Well, I haven't done much experimentation with movement controls, but I'm going to have to sometime anyways if I want some awesome set-like function attacks for the mobs, so might as well try it out.Options: I'll try, but GUIs are tricky in Minecraft. Usually, I just swap out my .minecraft whenever I want to try a new modification.Masks: Hmm, spawn with equipment? I remember an idea a while back about spawning in a Toa Canister with a chest in the back that has equipment, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'll just have the timer start whenever you put on a mask for the first time. Then again, what happens when you die? I'll have to think on that.Map: Yep, Biocraft's doing it, and I have a little partnership with them (you can see some of my mobs in their upcoming movie), but still, it would be a pain to make the whole map. If the game spawns it, I would need to A. find a seed that would spawn that, no idea how to do that, or B. Spawn in the entire island based off a similar one block by block. You want to try? It's to scale.Infected Masks: I'm still working with the aethetics of some of that stuff, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea.And, new update today! 1.4.2 means that I get another chance to completely restart what little progress I've made. Yay.

1. That, or I could just make it so they gain powers once you gain all Toa Armor. Elemental Shards should be fairly easy to get, so I don't want everyone just lighting every mob they see within the first few days.
Well, I've seen quite a few players who try to do that anyways. :PKidding aside, fair point.
2. Sounds good, but probably no damage except to Nether creatures.
I would actually recommend small amounts of damage or something, in order to further differentiate it from Air's wind gust.
3. I was just going to do the whole thing dirt, since it is Earth elemental energies.
Oh, alright. That could work.
4. Wait, it would destroy the ores? I don't see why bother doing that.
I just figured it'd be like mining with your bare hands. :PIf you think it shouldn't destroy the ores, though, then by all means keep them.
5. Well, I know how it looks, but it wouldn't fit in in Minecraft. It just wouldn't look right. Have you seen the Sports Modification? They have spheres, and it looks really wierd.
Hm. I suppose what you could do to fix that is use a regular cubic block, but textured like the Lego piece on the sides and top to clearly differentiate it from the surrounding environment.
7. They both have time limits, so it should work well.
Good, as long as you can add some sort of cooldown or charge-up to the Huna to prevent abuse. Remember that the Invisibility Potion is one-use, unlike the Huna, so...
8. Speed taming is one thing I really like about that, but I'm not sure about Bohrok. It was an idea, but I'm not 100% sold on it.
Well, it'd be... interesting to have Bohrok minions, that's for sure. :P
Options: I'll try, but GUIs are tricky in Minecraft. Usually, I just swap out my .minecraft whenever I want to try a new modification.
Hm.
Masks: Hmm, spawn with equipment? I remember an idea a while back about spawning in a Toa Canister with a chest in the back that has equipment, but I'm not sure. Maybe I'll just have the timer start whenever you put on a mask for the first time. Then again, what happens when you die? I'll have to think on that.
As I see it, you have a few options:Toa Armor: The player automatically spawns with a random set of Toa Armor when they first start a new world. Respawning again will result in the player getting a powerless Kanohi.Powerless: The player simply spawns with a powerless Kanohi in a random shape each time they spawn or re-spawn.None: The mask is only necessary for Elemental Powers and Mask Powers.Personally, though, I don't like the "Mask Timer" - instead, I think it'd be more canonical if you were unable to use Elemental Powers and had your strength cut in half. It'd be a pretty major nerf, but it'd be hard to lose Kanohi as long as the player spawned with one. Any of the above options can then be used for spawning....Perhaps have an option to "Turn Canisters On," which spawns the player in a Toa Canister with full Toa Armor of a randomized element? It'd be interesting to see, too, if the Canister was made of iron blocks or something, so players could make it into a temporary base for a day, then return and repurpose the canister - or perhaps it's made of some special "Canister Block" which can be used as a building block.
Map: Yep, Biocraft's doing it, and I have a little partnership with them (you can see some of my mobs in their upcoming movie), but still, it would be a pain to make the whole map. If the game spawns it, I would need to A. find a seed that would spawn that, no idea how to do that, or B. Spawn in the entire island based off a similar one block by block. You want to try? It's to scale.
> To scale:o...I'm unsure as to how exactly custom seeds work, so I'll have to pass on responding to that for the tim being.
Infected Masks: I'm still working with the aethetics of some of that stuff, but it doesn't sound like a bad idea.
Alright.
And, new update today! 1.4.2 means that I get another chance to completely restart what little progress I've made. Yay.
Well, at least you'll have a basis for the Huna soon... right? (No)

BZPRPG TIME, where you could have one post talk about dinner, and the next about lunch.

Time is beyond relative here.

There's no reason not to put lasers in the palms of planet-sized robots. In fact, if I had my own planet-sized robot, palm lasers would be one of my first upgrades.

BZPRPG Profiles [outdated]

May or may not be back from a multi-year hiatus. We'll see how this works out...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I looked at a few of your textures, and I'm a pretty good texture texture artist, and I think I could probably make improved versions of some of them, just because they don't really seem to fit in with the other Minecraft textures. And if you need anything else textured, I would be happy to help.

Herp Derp

Not exactly worked out, I'm still deciding on trading, but it will probably go in, mostly for Kanohi, probably Elemental Shards and other rare items (Air Bladders?). I'm thinking if there will be a Mask Making bench, it will be one of the last things released, or it will be in a separate modification entirely. And the whole Spawn stuff is still being debated. My current leniency is just putting them in the optional spawn chest, just without powers. All masks and types of armor should be obtainable later on (hopefully I can add in the less common elements and a few more masks by the end. :D)And aaninja, be my guest if you dislike the sprites. I tried my very best to get them both Minecraft-like and Set Accurate, but if there's something you see you can fix, please do. It's always been a pet peeve of mine when a modification doesn't look or feel anything like what Notch would put in (You know, if he was a Bionicle fan :)), so I hope mine doesn't fit into that catagory.

This sounds awesome! One idea I had, though it may not fit in the 2001 storyline version: Crafting masks from Kanoka? Kanoka could be used as weapons or in mask-crafting.
That's a great idea... but I think that a feature like that would probably be released some time in the future, if Click ever decided to make a 2004 based expansion to the moderator.

This sounds awesome! One idea I had, though it may not fit in the 2001 storyline version: Crafting masks from Kanoka? Kanoka could be used as weapons or in mask-crafting.
That's a great idea... but I think that a feature like that would probably be released some time in the future, if Click ever decided to make a 2004 based expansion to the moderator.
That's the idea, or at the end of the Mata Nui edition, or possibly as a separate modification. I haven't made up my mind, but I don't want to render the whole "Mask Quest" useless.My idea was Kanoka are crafted by making a special Mask-Making Forge (probably the same as Furnace, but made with Protodermis), and then the grid has a Crafting Grid, a combustables slot, and then the result. To make a Kanoka, two Protodermis would be put into the furnace, and smelted to make 1 Level 1 Purity Proto, and two of that making Level 2, and so on. The purity would result in a more powerful Kanoka, and thus, more powerful Masks. Craft a Kanoka like a compass with some Proto around an elemental shard, and then it results in a random power, with the "throwing" power of the Metru of the shard you put in, and a power level based on the purity. Hopefully, I can get their powers in then.To make a Kanohi, you would combine two+ Kanoka (should it be four+, two of each disk?), and smelt it, and the resulting power level will be strategically calculated to be Matoran, Noble, or Great. Like if the power level average is between 6 and 7, it would be Noble, or something like that. Basically, it will be as canonically accurate as possible in Minecraft, with that little Minecraft flair.By the way, I can't wait to see your modification Toa Temporal! Keep me updated. :biggrin: EDIT: So, 1.4.5 pre-release is coming soon, so should I try and start again, or just wait until then. All these frequent updates are messing with my progress. Edited by Click

This is really looking great! I'd love to help out, but I'm rather unknowledgeable in the specific areas you require... I am trying to learn some java, though, so if you need an extra hand I may be able to help out some time in the future.Keep up the good work!

EDIT: So, 1.4.5 pre-release is coming soon, so should I try and start again, or just wait until then. All these frequent updates are messing with my progress.
I can't imagine how frustrating that must be to modders...I say work on textures and other things that won't have to be changed every time a new update comes out, and then once we get and update that looks like it will hang around for a while, then work on coding.I feel for you, this must be real tough... but you haven't given up, and that really says something. :)

Well, now that I started my own modification, I have a much better understanding of this, and the needed programs to help this. While I'm pretty busy with my own coding (and still figureing it out) i would be more than happy to make textures and items. I love Gimp.... So please, put me to work!

Edited by Toa Of Virtues

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

Well, now that I started my own modification, I have a much better understanding of this, and the needed programs to help this. While I'm pretty busy with my own coding (and still figureing it out) i would be more than happy to make textures and items. I love Gimp.... So please, put me to work!
If you can find a sprite to make, be my guest. If you want to work on 3D Armor versions of the masks and Toa Armor, you can do that. I haven't had a chance to, and that seems to be the only sprite missing.
here are some textures i made. it still has the ores and stuff on it.new_bio-mod_textures.png
Ooh, very nice. My only thoughts are:1. Make sure the ores are easily discernable from Diamond, Gold, and Redstone, respectively2. Maybe make the crystals in the Lightstone ore vary in size.3. Maybe make the Heatstones more rounded, maybe just use a red Emerald texture. The color looks good though, I'm not sure if I want it to glow.4. Maybe a little less blue in the forge, and perhaps make it more different from the usual forge; maybe like this?Everything else looks great! I especially like your lightstone and flute.
Can I help with the coding?
Please do, but I just hope there should be a gap between updates. I'll have to check on that before I start (again).

Wow, that looks great! I really love that forge sprite, I will definitely use that! The ores look much better, and the lilypad block (Ga-Koro 2) looks great. I can't wait to see how it looks in game. I'll see if I can do any modding soon.EDIT: Hmm, turns out some tutorials I use aren't going to be updated for a while, so I'll need to find some new ones. :(

Edited by Click

Wow, that looks great! I really love that forge sprite, I will definitely use that! The ores look much better, and the lilypad block (Ga-Koro 2) looks great. I can't wait to see how it looks in game. I'll see if I can do any modding soon.EDIT: Hmm, turns out some tutorials I use aren't going to be updated for a while, so I'll need to find some new ones. :(
AWSOME! also, I just got Techne, so once i learn how to use it, I might help with mobs and stuff :) EDIT: I just got done with a model for a rahkshi. Techne is easy! How do I take a screenshot to show you? Edited by TFGalvatron

hi click is there any way i can help with this moderator ie: modeling or textures or if possible is there any codeing tutorials i could use as i would like to help programing

mca.png

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back, it never WOULD have come back.
-- Greg Farshtey

Learn this phrase. Love it. Hold it dear. Bring it back. If you know what this means, and/or agree with me, copy this into your sig.