Which Year Deserved A Movie?

If you had no prior knowledge of the Bionicle storyline at all and you watch the movies, you wouldn't have much of an idea what's going on, would you? So, my question is: which year deserved a movie in terms of bridging the plot and making it make sense in terms of the movie? I'd say 2006 and/or 2008. More 2008.

You mean, to connect the orginal trilogy of movies to TLR?2008. 2006-07, in terms of the storyline, could be summarized in an introductory footnote.Although I wouldn't worry about them being unconnected chronologically; there are symbolic connections between the beginning of TLR and the begining of MoL, more on that here.[Edit: And regardless, 2010 would have been pretty cool as a movie IMO.]

Edited by fishers64

I'd say that 2006 deserved a movie, and I think that it would make for an awesome one if done right. If 2004 got a movie, then 2006 needed one much more.While there were some epic settings and moments in 2008 - the rising of Mata Nui would look really epic, especially if shown in a proper movie theater (I can only dream) - the main critique that people have with 2008's story are the crazy cluttered cast of characters that it contained, which is a shame, since there were some pretty unique villains in the bunch, such as Krika or Mutran, that didn't get a chance to really develop as characters. Plus, it wasn't really a main plot point and there wasn't much to bridge - it was essentially "let's get these bits of rock so we can put them together to get into this big circular thing and oh no look a lot of Makuta why are there so many and why aren't they flattening us," which could have been better served or rectified in a movie format as opposed to brief books and even briefer comics, with the occasional online serial thrown in for good measure.In short, 2008 would have made an epic movie, but 2006 needed one more out of all of the years that didn't get one.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

2006-2007, no doubt.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

2010. It was the end (besides the following serials), and the Battle of Bara Magna would have been awesome in a movie. The Legend Reborn led up to it, but had no movie sequel. If they had put more effort into showing their amazing ending, it would not have felt so rushed.

My Blog

Latest Update: RPG: Character Creation and Stats

My Story Collection

Story Currently in Progress:

End of Yrenta (Review Topic) (Currently at 55 Chapters)

I realize I haven't updated my stories or posted much for quite a while. I will get back it it sometime, and I am still checking the site daily for any interesting topics.

Brickshelf Gallery

I would have loved to see one for either 2006 with the Piraka, or one for 2008 with the Phantoka. Those were my favorite years that I actually managed to keep up with everything besides when the Toa where on Mata Nui, and I like the storyline then a lot.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

2005 didn't really need a movie, it was basically filler. 2006-2008 really needed one, especially 2006 and 2007. 2008 was my favorite year, and would be most impressive, but...2006 and 2007 in TLR animation? Makes me curious. Plus, they have a more complex story than 2008, and therefore one that needs more explaining.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

guys if they made a movie for the piraka and kardanui years it would be a little scary 1. piraka are darker more evil years 2. the mutated and the bat makuta would again be a little scary for wha bioncle is meant for. but i think it would have been cool to have a movie for those years i love kirka

one day this will contain greatness only the best. But take this with the ocean of salt then you will know what to expect from this

If you wonder about that, join Do not mention or link to sites with forums! They're working on all the movies, similar to TLR style. Although, in answer to that question, I have always wished to see the animated Bohrok, just watching them boil the water with Gali in it, dig handholds in the walls, and get owneded by Boxors! The Kal's powers would also be really cool to see.

Edited by Watashi Wa
Link to forums.

If you wonder about that, join Bionicle: Next Generation! They're working on all the movies, similar to TLR style. Although, in answer to that question, I have always wished to see the animated Bohrok, just watching them boil the water with Gali in it, dig handholds in the walls, and get owneded by Boxors! The Kal's powers would also be really cool to see.

I didn't think that was still going on. Edited by knuckles chaotix

well believe it or not I was one of those guys, I learned well how to speak english until 2008! so in all the previous years my only way to know about the story was on the web page, hadn´t it been for the comics I would have never known about every year storyline. So the years 2003-2005 were great on that aspect because they had movies, thus I could watch them on my language and know a bit more, another problem was that I didn´t know about BZP´s existence until the end of BIONICLE so I missed a lot of info here.So I think 2007 deserved a movie because it was a great storyline and Mata Nui died, Matoro´s sacrifice would have been something worth watching on a tv screen

Edited by LordofBionicles

A slightly condensed version of the 2006-7 plot would make for a good movie.I decided against saying 2002, as the very straightforward plot and general lack of a sentient opponent would make for a plain and unexciting movie.I do think Takua's 2001 adventures would make for a great TV series.

2006 to 2007 did, most likely, much more than 2005 which did get one. Imagine Piraka with evil grins, Matoro´s death and action-packed battles up in the skies in a movie. :D 2010 could have been pretty epic as a movie, too.-Gata signoff.jpg

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

2001Seriously, it would have been sweet.

Now that I think about it, 2001 would be really good for a movie. The great thing about 2001 is that it had enough things in it to make an actual epic storyline (epic as in the type of literature, not hip slang).

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Er, I remember Greg saying that 2001 would not have made a very good movie because Bionicle was still an untested commodity - "it would have been a doo heads of voo doo island movie".

You're somewhat missing the point. All that statement means is that the 2001 story didn't get a movie because it happened to be the line's first year, and there's obviously no sense in spending millions trying to promote something which might not have any commercial potential in the first place.If Bionicle's first year had been, say, the 2004 Metru Nui story, there probably wouldn't have been Legends of Metru Nui (for the above reason) and when the line reached the 2001 Mata Nui story, that would've gotten a movie.

2006-2008 would of have been amazing movies. The story lent itself to be made into movies. I can just imagine the Inika going through the their tests in the Valami tunnels great stuff.

"Where wisdom and valor fail, all that remains is faith. And it can overcome all." Tahu

"Deceit and self-interest will never be virtues the Matoran will honor!"-Vakama

"Fear is the state of mind in which we will cause our own failures."-Me

" You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villian."- Harvey Dent

I vote personally for 2006/7. Then again 2008 would be cool.I CANT DECIDEJust watch the 2006 Inika trailer. It was asking for a movie. It would be dark yes, but us actual Biofans will love it to the day we die. Right? The models are so movie-esque, and it has alot of detail that could be fleshed out really well. Then again 2007 could be god, even though it could well out turn into a 15, if you think about it. Also 2008 would just be WOW. Flying aerial battles shooting spheres while villagers could fudging fight each other the Toas' backs. So I haven't reached a conclusion.Great.

Matoro_by_agnosticambition.png

Through fire, through ice

Through the endless pain

He payed the last price

When the acts seem tame

That the sword be drawn

That the trumpets blow

When it comes to dawn

We will all bow low

For the ice warrior

For the final singer

For the last protector

For the flame-bringer

It was his greatest fear

It was his final fight

His name glistens here

In the stars tonight

Matoro

I agree, but i would REALLY want it to make me run a tear. Who would voice Matoro?It could really be a good movie. Emotional and worth while.THATS IT I HAVE DECIDED.But aerial battles on each others backs...DARN.

Edited by Matoro --- Preston=Xd

Through the endless pain

He payed the last price

When the acts seem tame

That the sword be drawn

That the trumpets blow

When it comes to dawn

We will all bow low

For the ice warrior

For the final singer

For the last protector

For the flame-bringer

It was his greatest fear

It was his final fight

His name glistens here

In the stars tonight

Matoro

Er, I remember Greg saying that 2001 would not have made a very good movie because Bionicle was still an untested commodity - "it would have been a doo heads of voo doo island movie".

You're somewhat missing the point. All that statement means is that the 2001 story didn't get a movie because it happened to be the line's first year, and there's obviously no sense in spending millions trying to promote something which might not have any commercial potential in the first place.If Bionicle's first year had been, say, the 2004 Metru Nui story, there probably wouldn't have been Legends of Metru Nui (for the above reason) and when the line reached the 2001 Mata Nui story, that would've gotten a movie.
So you want to make 2004 the first year just to get a movie out of 2001? No way. You cannot move from the complex to the simple. 2004-05 was a complex worldbuilding story. 2001 was the simple tale of villagers on an island, which is a letdown after the complex adventure tale. I know that because I read 2004-05 story first, because it was the "prequel" to 2001-03, then reading the latter story and choking on it. The mystery wasn't there for me, and it was boring and dull. 2001 had to come first, and that means there could be no 2001 movie for the reasons I outlined.

2001-2002 wouldn't have made good movies, IMO, because that would've sort of ruined the mystery in them. The fact that MNOG told the story was what made 2001 so unique.I think 2006 and 2007 would've made good movies only if they were both made. Individually, they would've been too much like TLR, inconsistent and confusing.The best year for another movie (2003-2005 were the best years to have a movie, especially 2004-2005) would've been 2008, if only to reduce the meaning of the serials. A movie would've kept the story in line and would've concentrated on the Nuva and the Brotherhood of Makuta, making it more simple and easier to follow. 2010 would've been an okay movie, but probably very short. I guess we were all just dying to see more of the MU as a robot in a movie...

It's hard for most hugely successful blockbuster directors to find producers willing to give them a budget for movies like that. Lord of the Rings came close, but even then, a LOT was cut out for the theatrical releases. I don't think Lego would ever be able to make any kind of movies like that lol.It'd definitely work as another trilogy though (they'd just need a recap to remind people who the Toa Nuva are when the third movie for 08 would roll around).

rahkshi_symbol.png

I agree, now I WILL make a decision.Very long movie about '06 and '07.NO '08 deserves one. Alright.I CAN'T DECIDE.THAT IS MY CONCLUSION.They all deserve movies IMONow who would voice Matoro? :?

Through the endless pain

He payed the last price

When the acts seem tame

That the sword be drawn

That the trumpets blow

When it comes to dawn

We will all bow low

For the ice warrior

For the final singer

For the last protector

For the flame-bringer

It was his greatest fear

It was his final fight

His name glistens here

In the stars tonight

Matoro

It is a bit hard ti decide, and I would say 2006 or 2008. Then again, if a 2006 movie were made, a 2007 would have to be made. If a 2008 one was made, they would have to have a segment explaining 2007 and 2006, and that would probably be at least 30 minutes, done right. Basically, all three years would have to be made movies to make sense.