Roodaka Vs. Toa Hagah-Crunch's Ga#18 Entry

Crunchyn

This is my first entry for the General Art Contest #18: Battlescapes.

The event I was attempting to depict was Roodaka fighting and capturing the other Toa Hagah before eventually mutating them into their future Rahaga forms.

crunchyentrythumbnail.jpg

WIP Pics

Time: ummm 3-4 days?

Medium/Materials used:

Pencil

Prismacolor Fine Line Markers [08, 01]

Watercolor

Soft Pastels

Prismacolor colored pencils

My thought when planning this art was to imagine it as if it was a comic cover. I started with some gesture drawings to plan out how I wanted Roodaka to hold up the Toa of Water. I didn't plan out what should be in the background that thoroughly which I probably should've done because I wanted a Rahaga in the background to make it clear that these were the Toa Hagah and Roodaka was in the process of mutating them but it seems to me that I might be adding too much information to the image. The Toa Hagah, I actually used 00dude00's 3d models of the team for reference [you should che-- well, he's on the front page now anyhoo :P] I didn't plan on inking it actually, but it helped me immensely in understanding all the scribbles I put down that I didn't understand. And then the watercolor- I honestly wasn't happy with the way it turned out. I can tell that I rushed it. From the first pass, there was just so much blue which I didn't want and I forgot to plan out the shadows at this point. My painting instructor and my friend helped give me a tip on warm and cool colors and I face-palmed at the simplicity. If there's a warm light, the shadows will have cool colors and if there's a cool light, your shadows will have warm colors! So I went all over the place with the orange hue [orange-blue, complementary colors and warm and cool colors, get it? :) ] and I'm much happier now. Although I still think that this entire scene looks like it's underwater :biggrin:. Thanks for looking!

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Aw, man. And just when I was starting to think my entry might stand a chance... Don't worry, this won't discourage me from posting mine, but being a somewhat amateur graphite drawing there's no way it can impress as much as those brilliant watercolors with well-planned shading. And completed in 3-4 days? That's what I call productivity! With that sort of talent, I hope you're planning for a successful art-oriented career.As for the art itself, I don't entirely understand why parts of Roodaka's right side are green. I also think making her claws silver would help differentiate her arm from Gaaki's neck a bit more, so you could tell more quickly what's going on. But the aesthetic style, simplifying the structure and color scheme of the Roodaka set as it does, is top-notch. The Toa Hagah, who had to be dreamed up without any direct source material, are great designs that fit in perfectly with this style. The bold colors of the background contrast strongly with the harsh glow around Roodaka and the Toa Hagah, the shadows all behave as they should, and the foreshortening makes the layout of the figures appear extremely dynamic.I wish you the best of luck in the contest, but at this rate it doesn't look like you'll need luck to make an impression!

:kaukau: On many different levels, this actually does make me think of the comic book pages of old, although the style isn't quite the same. Still, this certainly would have made a better successor to the 2001-2005 art style than the 2006 and onward style used. I like it, and it definitely fits the mood of 2005. The overall picture also has the feel of a snapshot from a comic-book and is presented just the way a comic book cover might be presented. Congratulations.Your Honor,Tyrannosaurus Kraggh

Yea, I agree that the style doesn't really look comic booky [in fact I actually thought my drawing looked rather as if it was for a coloring book) I actually liked the style of the 2006 comics, it felt more emotive and dramatic. I'm actually gonna go to a convention next month to see Stuart Sayger.

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Meeting Sayger!? That was my favorite of the comic artists.Getting on topic now - don't beat yourself up because of an error on the first layer. I've spent time at some drawing and painting workshops and summer camps in my time and I couldn't really hope to do this well. The trick to a nice watercolor painting is taking advantage of the ability to let it dry and work an entire new layer on top effectively. You took advantage of this and largely corrected your error. I did feel there was a bit too much blue - but that exactly the thing - a bit too much blue. I didn't look underwater without some serious imagination. The only other thing is that watercolor is great for skydrops and you had a pretty bland sky. You could have at least dropped a cloud in there or something to add a little more interest in that large empty corner. That's pretty minor, however. It was supposed to be a battlescape, not a landscape, right? http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/sarcastic.gifI always enjoyed painting with acrylic better, partially because I found it easier. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/tounge2.gif The other thing I liked was the ability to make bold impressionistic strokes. You can do that with watercolor, but...Ok, now I'm blabbering off-topic. What I was trying to get to is that perhaps I should give watercolor a chance again. I have some tubes of watercolor and a few sheets of watercolor paper buried away in the basement somewhere. You have inspired inspired me. Bask in the glory of the glory of knowing that. http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/tounge2.gif

odyssey1_bannernew.jpg

Review Topic

I AM OFFICIALLY BACK! :D After 18 months on hiatus, I have returned, but I have spent that time well. If you want to see how it was spent, click on the banner to start reading the result or click on the linky-link below to get further information off of the review topic.

• 1 month later...

My brother raved about this drawing, so I came here expecting great things. But while it has elements of greatness—particularly in terms of color and lighting—I found it hard to be impressed with the composition of it all. The foreshortening on Roodaka's arm looks wonky, and one of Gaaki's arms doesn't seem to be there at all. Also, the posing of Gaaki and Roodaka doesn't really convey the interaction I think is going on; namely, while it would appear Roodaka is strangling Gaaki, Roodaka's pose is too static (perhaps this would be helped by having Roodaka actively lifting the Toa instead of extending her arm almost perfectly horizontal) and Gaaki's pose doesn't suggest that she's struggling, which is exacerbated by the common issue in BIONICLE art that emotion is hard to convey behind a mask. Kualus's pose almost makes it look more like he's relaxing than that he's been injured; injury might be better conveyed if his neck were twisted into a less-comfortable-looking configuration. And while the Toa in the background (Bomonga?) looks fine, his pose doesn't convey as much urgency as it seems it should, since whatever he's blasting is obscured behind Roodaka.I'm sorry if I'm coming across as overly critical. I know you did better on this than I ever could, especially given the medium. But I feel that fundamental issues with the posing prevent the concept of the piece from coming across clearly in the execution.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I really like how this looks. It makes me wish that it was used as an official Bionicle comic cover. Roodaka looks great, as does the two Toa. I also think that the Visorak in the background is a nice touch. :)Anyway, good luck in the contest!

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png