Set Review: 9443 Rattlecopter

<!--url{0}--> alt=Oh no, the evil Serpentine have appeared in their snake-like Rattlecopter, and only Kai the Fire Ninja can save the day! That's the premise of Ninjago set 9443: Rattlecopter. BZPower Reporter xccj reviews this set and determines if it's a good enough addition to your ninja or snake army.View the full articlePresentationFrom the design of the box to the instruction manual, these are the first things you see before building the set.
tn_9443-rattlecopter-01.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-02.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-03.JPG

The Rattlecopter comes in a rather large box. For reference, the front is about as large as the one Jay's Storm Fighter comes it, but this one is ticker. The front depicts the Rattlecopter diving in to attack Lloyd, while Kai swoops down on it from above. The back of the box shows the Rattlecopter landed, as Kai drags Lloyd away from the red Fangpyre snake Fang-Suei. There are also a few highlights of the Rattlecopter. The sides also include more images of the minifigs, the legal stuff, and a poorly timed advertisement for the now-defunct Lego Universe game. Overall, the box shows off the design of the snake-like copter rather well, and should draw in any Ninjago fan.BuildingHalf the fun is had building the set. How fun is it to build and how easy or challenging is it?

tn_9443-rattlecopter-04.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-05.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-06.JPGtn_9443-rattlecopter-07.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-08.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-09.JPGtn_9443-rattlecopter-10.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-11.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-12.JPG

The bulk of the construction is based on the Rattlecopter. Most of the body's construction is fairly straight forward. However, the head is truly a marvel, and utilizes some nice angles in the design. However, despite the complexity of the design, the instructions are very straightforward, and it isn't very hard to put it all together. This means that older builders can enjoy the cool designs, but it's still simple enough for younger builders to put together. It was a fun process.Set DesignNow that the set is complete, we can critique how it looks from every angle. New or interesting pieces can also be examined here.

tn_9443-rattlecopter-13.JPG

There were lots of parts: 327 pieces plus a handful of extras. The set is only $29.99 USD, so that means you pay less than 10 cents per piece! Shown above are some of the unique / cooler pieces in the set. There are lots of new pieces recolored in lime, although many of them come with other Ninjago sets this year. Still, it's not a bad selection.

tn_9443-rattlecopter-14.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-15.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-16.JPG

We get three minifigures this time: Kai ZX, Lloyd Garmadon, and Fang-Suei. Kai is of particular interest because of his nifty jetpack, which features Alien Conquest guns, brown snowshoes, and bucket pieces. It's an odd selection of pieces, but they really come together to form a cool jetpack. The rest of Kai ZX is the same as the other sets, and the only downside here is that he doesn't have his cool shoulder armor on because he's wearing a jetpack.Lloyd is the son of last years baddie, Garmadon, and he even has his father's zappy weapon. He comes with a black hood, a short black cape, and a rib-cage torso with a green five printed on it… I wonder what that could stand for?? (Spoiler: it means he's part of the secret Emerald Pentagon club! Or is it supposed to mean something else?) Anyway, Lloyd isn't bad, but he's not the star of this set.Next, we have Fang-Suei, one of the evil Serpentine snake-people, with his golden Constrictai staff. (Even though he's a Fangpyre snake... what's he doing with another tribe's staff?) His torso (front and back) and legs have some nice scaly printing on them, and he has a special head mold with two big goofy fangs hanging out of his mouth. (But whatever you do, don't let him bite you.) Overall he looks a bit goofier than some of the other Serpentine, but since he spends most of his time piloting the Rattlecopter it's not too much of an issue.

tn_9443-rattlecopter-17.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-18.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-19.JPG

Finally, the real gem of the set: The Rattlecopter. It used to just be a big pile of junk, but then the Fangpyre bit it, and their venom turned it into a living snake helicopter! Or at least that's the official story based on the television show.I'll just come out and say it right now; the Rattlecopter does not look like a snake to me. Instead, it looks like a fish. Seriously, with the tail and fins, it looks more fish-like than snake-like. Even the head, which is reptilian enough, could still pass off as a fish. This isn't necessarily a bad thing; as it stands, I think it's an awesome fishy helicopter. It just doesn't fit in as well with the snake theme.As mentioned before, the coolest part of the Rattlecopter is the head, which uses hinges and clips to get some very unusual angles. But the coolest thing is how well this set pulls it off. The construction is easy to put together, and the end result is fairly sturdy too. The angles all make for a very good looking fish / snake face. Whoever designed this thing really knew what they were doing; it's totally awesome. My main complaint would be that the tail of the Rattlecopter seems a little too plain in comparison. They tried to work out a bit of a curve with the back snake blades, but it just doesn't look as cool next to the head.

tn_9443-rattlecopter-22.JPG

Inside the head is a compartment for Fang-Suei to pilot the Rattlecopter. It's a tight fit, but the snake-guy squeezes into it perfectly. Even the white slope piece on the top acts as a decent headrest. The strange thing is, there are no studs for Fang-Suei to connect to, but he fits in so tightly that he still doesn't fall out. Another great design feature!

tn_9443-rattlecopter-23.JPG

Finally, there is one other cool feature that I must point out. The grey cones within the side engines are actually old pointy Castle helmets, and their use in the engines is just genius. It's a great reuse of an older piece in a cool new way.One thing to be aware of: there are a fair amount of stickers to apply to the set. The stickers do give it some extra scaly flair, but I still dislike the process of adding sticker, especially to long narrow pieces where it's possible to mess up their attachment. PlayabilityThe other half of the fun is in playing with the set. How well does the set function and is it enjoyable to play with?

tn_9443-rattlecopter-20.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-21.JPG

The Rattlecopter actually has a couple of nice play features. To start of with, it's a helicopter, and it has spinning blades. The joy with any Lego helicopter is being able to spin those blades around as you swoosh it through the air, and the Rattlecopter is no different. It is a very swoosh-able aircraft, and there's a good place to grip it on the back. Plus, the slanted blades also aim away from the carrier, so you can carry it and still spin the blades. Another nice simple feature also involves the white teeth. When the Rattlecopter is landed, they fold up out of the way. But when it's flying through the air, they hang down and give it an even more ferocious look.Additionally, the Rattlecopter has a snake-bomb drop compartment near the back. You push the two green tabs in and the mini white snake pieces can fall out and hit whatever's below. The feature is decent enough; it certainly works better than the Tridax pods from the Makuta Phantoka, in my opinion. It can be a little tricky loading the white snake pieces in. In theory, I think you're supposed to jam them in from the top, but I prefer to open the side tab and place them in that way. Finally, the Rattlecopter has four flick-fire missiles. Because we all know how well those work!

tn_9443-rattlecopter-24.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-25.JPG tn_9443-rattlecopter-26.JPG

Overall, the strength of this set is its role-playing potential. Kai has his jetpack and Fang-Suei has his Rattlecopter; it doesn't seem like a fair fight, but a ninja isn't going to be scared away by a big snake/fish helicopter! Plus, you have Lloyd to throw into the mix. Who's side is he really on? You decide!!Final ThoughtsOnce it's all said and done, how does the set stack up? Should I get it?ProsWhat's to like?

[*]Awesome head design with unique building styles[*]Pilot compartment area fits Fang-Suei perfectly[*]Castle helmet incorporated into the engines[*]Great helicopter: swooshable with spinning blades[*]Even snake-bomb dropper isn't bad[*]Kai's jetpack is great too[*]Lots of good pieces, especially in lime[*]Good piece to price ratio

ConsWhat's not to like?

[*]Lloyd just isn't that appealing[*]Rattlecopter tail is a little lackluster[*]Flickfire missies: really?[*]Looks less like a snake and more like a fish

This set has lots of fun playability that should appeal to younger builders, plus an awesome design and piece count to appeal to older builders. I suppose if you're not into the whole snake-vehicle theme that Ninjago has going this year, that could turn you off, but if that's the case then there was really nothing here for you to start with. Overall, I think it's a well designed set that fits in great with the Ninjago theme.At $29.99 USD, it isn't exactly cheap. However, it is one of the lower-priced Serpentine vehicle sets, and it contains enough pieces that it's still a good value.

There appears to be an error. When I click the link, it says "Sorry, there was no story at this adress. Please return and try again, or contact the webmaster."

"I pitea the fool!"

(quote by Chro)

98.7% OF BZPOWER MEMBERS HAVEN'T SEEN MY BUCKET 

IF YOU ARE ONE OF THE 1.3% THAT HAS SEEN MY BUCKET, COPY THIS AND PASTE IT INTO YOUR SIGNATURE

I MISS MY BUCKET 

There appears to be an error. When I click the link, it says "Sorry, there was no story at this adress. Please return and try again, or contact the webmaster."

It's actually doing that for all news stories right now, not just this review. Hopefully it'll get fixed soon. :):music:

As an owner of the Rattlecopter, I think it's a great set, perhaps even one of my favorite sets of all time. ^_^ I even made some modifications for certain portions of the main model.-Toa Of Justice

LDD American Flag--------------LDD Tinker Bell
american_flag.jpg_thumb.jpg----------tinker_bell_sig.png

Please see my Brickshelf gallery for more MOCs!

I don't mind if anyone borrows any part of any of my MOCs. Please be sure to give me credit though.

Can't see the review, but having built the Rattlecopter recently, it's my least favorite of the Serpentine vehicles so far. While it is loaded down with functions, it's also fairly gappy and blocky. By contrast, the Fangpyre Truck Ambush is much nicer, and while it has some flaws of its own, its sleek, streamlined appearance makes it seem much more "snakelike" than the Rattlecopter.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Oh good. A ninja with a jetpack. Forget the dragons, give him a jetpack. What a thought.

I'm really sick of listening to you discounting all of this year's awesome sets because you wanted Ninjago to be something it never was. Ninjago has never been straight-up historical or even a traditional fantasy. Part of what drew me to the theme, in fact, was that rather than depicting actual historical ninja it depicted a zany, eclectic universe where the traditional coexisted with the modern.Ninjago had technology even in the first year, but the ninja didn't use as much of it. But why, logically, shouldn't they? They're ninja, not Amish. And nowhere in Sensei Wu's teachings were the ninja told not to use what was given to them. Especially considering that, even in last year's story, the ninja were shown to come from less traditional settings. Since their weapons' vehicle transformations seem to draw from the imaginations of the characters, it's logical that they'd depict things that were the cutting edge rather than traditional for tradition's sake.There's an awesome dragon coming out later this year, by the way. And it comes with an awesome, ancient-looking prison tower. But you seem to be too caught up in your petty hatred of this year's sets to consider that maybe the theme hasn't changed all that much since its inception. It could, in fact, be that you were mistaken in liking the theme in the first place.Personally, I think the jetpack is awesome, and retains a semi-traditional look (with the wooden-framed wings and ornate gold detailing) while serving a functional purpose (being able to take on a helicopter).

Oh good. A ninja with a jetpack. Forget the dragons, give him a jetpack. What a thought.

Yeah, I know. It would be like if you took a theme set on a tropical island, then in the second year replaced the animal bad guys with robot bad guys and replaced the riding crabs with fighting mecha. What a travesty that would be. :rolleyes:We get that you're still butthurt because you wanted Ninjago to be a historical fantasy theme rather than the anachronism stew it was always designed to be. But you don't have to treat this set as a travesty because it doesn't match your personal vision. If you paid attention to the TV show or the Toy Fair coverage, you'll probably have noticed that the dragons are not in fact gone; they're coming back in the summer (and have already returned to the show in that form). If anything, this jetpack is more like a replacement for the Ninja hang glider which was far from historically-accurate to begin with.

I'm really sick of listening to you discounting all of this year's awesome sets because you wanted Ninjago to be something it never was. Ninjago has never been straight-up historical or even a traditional fantasy. Part of what drew me to the theme, in fact, was that rather than depicting actual historical ninja it depicted a zany, eclectic universe where the traditional coexisted with the modern.Ninjago had technology even in the first year, but the ninja didn't use as much of it. But why, logically, shouldn't they? They're ninja, not Amish. And nowhere in Sensei Wu's teachings were the ninja told not to use what was given to them. Especially considering that, even in last year's story, the ninja were shown to come from less traditional settings. Since their weapons' vehicle transformations seem to draw from the imaginations of the characters, it's logical that they'd depict things that were the cutting edge rather than traditional for tradition's sake.There's an awesome dragon coming out later this year, by the way. And it comes with an awesome, ancient-looking prison tower. But you seem to be too caught up in your petty hatred of this year's sets to consider that maybe the theme hasn't changed all that much since its inception. It could, in fact, be that you were mistaken in liking the theme in the first place.Personally, I think the jetpack is awesome, and retains a semi-traditional look (with the wooden-framed wings and ornate gold detailing) while serving a functional purpose (being able to take on a helicopter).
No reason to attack Spinjitzu Master for his opinion. The best way to respond to negativity is with positivity, not with more negativity. ;)The review looks great, xccj! Could you please fix the picture links? :)-Gata signoff.jpg Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

No reason to attack Spinjitzu Master for his opinion. The best way to respond to negativity is with positivity, not with more negativity. ;)The review looks great, xccj! Could you please fix the picture links? :)-Gata signoff.jpg
Sorry, that came off a little harsh. I was in a bad mood when I posted that.Meanwhile, what do you mean it looks great? I still can't see it due to the issues with the news pages.EDIT: Okay, now I noticed that the full review has been posted here. A few comments:-Lloyd's shirt print is awesome. If you take a good look at it, you'll notice that unlike Garmadon's "iron ribcage", the ribcage on Lloyd's torso is simply painted onto a T-shirt (hence the "5"). It's oddly heartwarming, in that the shirt makes clear that Lloyd at this stage of the story wants to be just like his dad. On a more symbolic level, the 5 and its green color can represent that Lloyd is destined to be Sensei Wu's fifth ninja.-The Constrictai Staff is actually also meant to be held by Lloyd. The only real reason it's in this set is so that all of the staffs (besides Pythor's, which doesn't appear in sets at all) are available through the wave one sets. The next wave, rather than focusing on the staffs, will feature the Fang Blades as the "collectable" weapons. In any case, one nice thing about both weapons is that sets with them include extras of their respective Serpentine emblems.-The snake face on this set is indeed a bit disappointing. Sets like the Fangpyre Truck Ambush, Fangpyre Mech, and Fangpyre Wrecking ball feature more elegant head designs that better resemble snakes.-The flick-fire missiles in this set actually look great and work well, in my opinion. I love the flick-fire missile, personally, since despite being somewhat overused, its main attribute is that it's really really easy to use without being too obstructive. The ones in this set are well-integrated, and the trans-purple cones with round "caps" look fantastic as missiles. Edited by Ortographobia

Plus, the slanted blades also aim away from the carrier, so you can carry it and still spin the blades.

Ah, that explains why the blades are slanted. I thought that was just for style, since most helicopters I know of start off with straight blades, then tilt them forward if needed. (I used some hinge elements to enable tilting on my Rattlecopter.)

Another nice simple feature also involves the white teeth. When the Rattlecopter is landed, they fold up out of the way. But when it's flying through the air, they hang down and give it an even more ferocious look.

So, that's why they were loose! Of course, now that I've added landing gear to my Rattlecopter and mounted the fangs on friction pins, that feature doesn't quite work anymore. The fangs can still move though, just not automatically.-Toa Of Justice

LDD American Flag--------------LDD Tinker Bell
american_flag.jpg_thumb.jpg----------tinker_bell_sig.png

Please see my Brickshelf gallery for more MOCs!

I don't mind if anyone borrows any part of any of my MOCs. Please be sure to give me credit though.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the review. I personally like the Rattlecopter, with it's very cool action feature, and the overall look and feel to the set.I also think that the head of the Rattlecopter, though it is different than the others by a lot, it really does look like certain species of snake. Compare the head to this image of Atheris Chloreschis (Bush Viper) to see what I mean.bush_viper.jpgMany species of vipers have an arrowhead-shaped head, which is very similar to the Rattlecopter's design, IMO.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Gee, I liked this set the least. The head lacks the flow of the other Serpentine vehicles because of more studs showing, there's no landing gear, the fangs flop uselessly, the rotor is tilted, and the rear rotor makes the tail not even look like a snake tail. A plane would have been better than a helicopter. Or they could have forgotten the air vehicles and released that Serpentine train we saw prototypes of. But noo, we get a snake contorted into a fishlike helicopter.

aouROFb.png