Set That Could Have Been Done Better

Dwanny

So, guys, wich set(s) could have been done/made/designed better?I would definetly say Pohau, both mata and nuva (though the nuva is even worse).Seriously, i have nothing against Pohatu. I found him a fun character, "the simpathetic one" within the toa team.But still, the set could have done better.The kicking function was a fun idea, but (let's admit it,) it makes him look fat.Also, his head was rather far up front; understandible when it comes to a toa of stone, but i liked his MoL build better.The arms. The arms just went too far. I can live with the rest, but the short stubby arms just kinda ticked me off.And the weapons were also kinda lame. First, a rock, then pathetic claw thingies, then propellors?!Ugh....Abd then i havent mentioned Pohatu Phantoka (but i wouldn't even call that orange piece of plastic pohatu anymore).-Dwanny

Basically all sets that feel boring, jumbled or out of character could have been done better, especially after 2006 when sets stopped being clones within a wave. An example would be Nuparu Mahri, his design was boring and his silver mask seemed off. Not to mention Hewkii Mahri, obviously. :P-Gata signoff.jpg

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Toa Mata Nui. More originality.Also, Gali Mistika. Could have done with a better weapon. Mask needs the hexagon thing removed, though to be honest I can live with ALL the 2008 sets. Onua should have gotten Vahki legs like Pohatu, though, and a hunch. Pohatu would be fine if he had his feet changed to Hordika feet and his torso flipped. All Matoran aside from Voyatoran.There are more, but those are the main ones.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Toa Mata Nui. More originality.Also, Gali Mistika. Could have done with a better weapon. Mask needs the hexagon thing removed, though to be honest I can live with ALL the 2008 sets.Onua should have gotten Vahki legs like Pohatu, though, and a hunch. Pohatu would be fine if he had his feet changed to Hordika feet and his torso flipped.All Matoran aside from Voyatoran.There are more, but those are the main ones.

I agree about Onua and Gali, but I think that Toa Mata Nui was a very original set. And giving Pohatu hordika feet wouldn't have made the set better, it would limit its poseability.One set that could have been better was Matoro Mahri, his design made him look very weak, and his claws were disappointing.
kadin.png kadin.png kadin.png

2008 nuva, specifically the mistika ones. The phantoka ones were tolerable. WHY was onua the tallest nuva AND the skinniest?? WHY was gali hunched back and one of the most burly?? (tbh i wouldn't be surprised if gali's and onua's set were switched last minute). Oh and Tahu-there was so much wrong with that set. From the depressed looking mask (LACKING THE TRADEMARK TAHU MOUTH!!!) the awful armour choices (which gave him anorexic thighs and biceps making the rest of the limbs fat) to the hollow chest. So much was wrong with that set, sooo much. Actually ruined an iconic character.Oh and hewkii and matoro mahri were god awful too and screwed up their fantastic inika apperances. I wish they recoloured kongu mahri and made him hewkii- it would have been tolerable.

sam_7163_-_copy.jpg

The Misadventures of

Onipex and Pals! Go watch it now! :biggrin:

Any of the post-2007 Matoran, basically. Way too small. I do, however like the McToran, in spite of their smallness. It seemed to fit for them, but not for the later Matoran. I didn't particularly like the Stars, either. 16 pieces doesn't count as a Toa.

rsz_screenshot_from_un_chien_andalou.jpg
My Writing Blog (more writing coming soon!)

My Bionicle/LEGO Blog (defunct)

Hyfudiar on Spotify (noise/drone/experimental music)

The Exo-Toa could have benefitted greatly from some extra articulation points. The same goes for Makuta's legs.The Hordika needed better left arms.Umbra's wheel feet do get annoying.Nuparu Mahri is a disappointing stick with gigantic feet.~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Axonn.He's one of my favorite sets, but I still to this day wish he had some sort of functionality like the gears of old.Then he would be the greatest set ever.

Axonn was a great set and character, and he looked exactly how he should have. But moving functions and gears would indeed make him THE set.His burliness does indeed require some poseability, and i have been wanting to make a "geared" version of him. But meh, i'm too lazy. :P

2008 nuva, specifically the mistika ones. The phantoka ones were tolerable. WHY was onua the tallest nuva AND the skinniest?? WHY was gali hunched back and one of the most burly?? (tbh i wouldn't be surprised if gali's and onua's set were switched last minute). Oh and Tahu-there was so much wrong with that set. From the depressed looking mask (LACKING THE TRADEMARK TAHU MOUTH!!!) the awful armour choices (which gave him anorexic thighs and biceps making the rest of the limbs fat) to the hollow chest. So much was wrong with that set, sooo much. Actually ruined an iconic character.Oh and hewkii and matoro mahri were god awful too and screwed up their fantastic inika apperances. I wish they recoloured kongu mahri and made him hewkii- it would have been tolerable.

I believe Tahu and Gali Mistika were switched at the last minute, actually. Some video showed a red Gali and a blue Tahu as prototypes.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

I believe Tahu and Gali Mistika were switched at the last minute, actually. Some video showed a red Gali and a blue Tahu as prototypes.
do you happen to remember where?

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

wow i didn't know that! Tahu may have possibly have been worse! (i prefer gali mistika as a set but its even less tahuish)

sam_7163_-_copy.jpg

The Misadventures of

Onipex and Pals! Go watch it now! :biggrin:

I think everybody can agree with me when I say Hahli Inika. :PBut I agree with others, the 2008 sets needed to be seriously revamped. I can't think of any other sets, but those were disappointing with their design.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I think everybody can agree with me when I say Hahli Inika. :PBut I agree with others, the 2008 sets needed to be seriously revamped. I can't think of any other sets, but those were disappointing with their design.

Hahli inika was horrible, for more than obvious reasons. :P2008 deserved a revamp more than any other year.

• 3 weeks later...

Can't really think of anything bad that someone HASN'T already said, except for the Mctoran. Pathetic.

They were McDonald's Happy Meal toys. What did you expect? Actually, even though the only one I own is Nuparu (who wasn't even one of the Happy Meal guys), judging from him, I'd say they were definitely among the better Happy Meal toys in my lifetime.Anyway, I'd go with the Toa Hordika. I know they're supposed to look mutated/disfigured an all, but the Toa Mata leg/arm for a left arm was disappointing. Now that I think about it, the right arm was too. Also, I never liked Onua Nuva's tiny Bohrok arms. I guess I don't mind his hunchbacked-ness, since the original had it too, but I remember rebuilding him with Mata legs as arms, and an upright body like he had in the MoL movie, and liking that much, much better.

I would say Kopaka Phantoka. That was bloody ugly. First of all,they switched his telescope thingy. and he could've gotten a weapon other than his skyblaster. I could go on forever.I thought Tahu and Gali Mistika should've been switched.Onua is not onua without his shrimpiness and his hunchback.It makes him special.

Maybe Onua followed Jared's example and went on the Subway diet?I liked Axonn, except for how much he always fell down. Even when the parts aren't broken, keeping his shoulders and legs up is a pain.I'd say the Cendox V1 was pretty bad. The life counter should have been on the vehicle itself, and the blades in front are too wobbly.

"You are an absolute in these uncertain times. Your past is forgotten, and your
future is an empty book. You must find your own destiny, my brave adventurer.
"
-- Turaga Nokama

nichijou2.jpg

Click here to visit my library!

Everytime I seem to say the Mistika. And I guess it's fair enough, because they were just so off and looked so ugly they really could have been done better.For the sake of variety, I will also add the Hordika, which I didn't like at all. The swinging arm function was pointless and simply ruined pose-ability and the heads all looked fairly ugly, especially in conjunction with the asymmetrical arms and rather lacklustre armour.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I have to say Pridak was one of my least favorite. He was hard to position, unpraportined, and things randomly sticking out of him at diferent angles. they could have done a better job at making him look like a shark. Also, the other Barraki had such a good designs it made him look worse.

Edited by Toa Of Virtues

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I've never really been too fond of Tarix's design. I mean, the weapons are cool, yes, but the rest of him was a bit un-proportional. Especially the length of his arms. ><

I disagree, I don't think the Inika were that bad. And Hahli's mask never bothered me that much...

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

• 2 weeks later...

Pohatu Mata could have done better, but he's still pretty cool. But Gali Mistika, Nivawk, and the Ultimate Dume combo model could have definitely been designed better. But I'm generally not a fan of the "hunchbacked" character sets, though.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012