"humanized" Lehvak Va

Katuko

Lately I have been drawing some BIONICLE stuff for practice, since I wanted to try "humanizing" robots and "robotizing" humans. This goes well for Toa, since they are already clearly humanoid. Bohrok were trickier, however, since they are 100% robot. I wanted to draw a Lehvak-Va posing with his katana, so here it goes. lehvakva_small.pngThe original sketch was drawn on paper, then I scanned it and went over the lines in Illustrator. The shading and stuff could have been better, but I'm rather content with the overall idea.

@Terminus24: Yeah, I tried to stick to the original design as much as possible. Had to ditch the "teeth" that I like so much on the set (I used to make the Va bite into apples and stuff :lol:) but I think it was for the best.@Eeko: I agree, it's very flat. I suck at shading at the moment, though, so I didn't dare go any further with it until I've gotten some more practice. The "shaded" version I had just looked bad.@Taka Nuvia: Thank you. ^_^ I had a head design I found rather cute as well, but it didn't fit the rest of the sketch.

You're right, there is a lack of hand- and computer-drawn comics around here. It's probably because sprites are a lot easier to work with for most people. A bit of copy-pasting and some color shifts plus the text tool and you have a basic sprite comic. Add some backgrounds and brush effects if you feel like it. I'm not saying sprite comics are bad (heck, I loved 8-bit Theater, to name one) but hand-drawn usually shows a lot more effort and the drawings always have their own unique style.

Edited by Katuko

• 2 weeks later...

Aw Lehvak Va, you were the coolest of the Vas by far. :PThe Illustrator style of art like this is basically my current default style, so I'm biased towards it, so I don't mind the shading because yeah. Anyway, though, when I read the concept I thought this would be an odd thing to try and humanise, but you did a great job at it. I like the style you've come up with, very cool. The shield face looks really great, good swish applied to each of the pincers, as it were. It's almost like it is a Toa, but with a Lehvak Shield as a Kanohi, sorta. But anyway, really like this, good job!signoff.png

crickety man.....

good nigh t

lonk

You're right, there is a lack of hand- and computer-drawn comics around here. It's probably because sprites are a lot easier to work with for most people. A bit of copy-pasting and some color shifts plus the text tool and you have a basic sprite comic. Add some backgrounds and brush effects if you feel like it. I'm not saying sprite comics are bad (heck, I loved 8-bit Theater, to name one) but hand-drawn usually shows a lot more effort and the drawings always have their own unique style.

It's quite sad... but I don't think sprites are always easier to use. I mean, I tried using them, but it never worked for me. So I wouldn't say they're much easier to use; high-quality work always requires effort, independently of the media used. :shrugs:But the second thing is true. And that's why I'd be really happy if there were more hand-drawn comics in AWIII...

20210512_strollin_banner.jpg

My art collection topic - updated! (21/09/2021)

@Phyoohrii: Glad you like it. :) I'm pretty satisfied with the shield-face too. It's a shame the other Va aren't quite as easy to do. I tried making Tahnok have two horns and a burning skull, but it looked kind of weird. I have no idea how I would do Kohrok Va's "saw face" either.@Phovos the Raptor: Go head, he doesn't have the giant fangs anymore so it should be safe. :lol:@Taka Nuvia: I actually began doing some sketches for a comic, but as I've got other things to do as well it's not very far along.

• 3 weeks later...

Pencil on paper for the sketch, then I went over the lines in Adobe Illustrator to give it that smooth, cartoony look. I also corrected some mistakes by moving the vector parts around. Any vector program will do for this job, though; a free one is Inkscape. Finally I added some slight shading in Photoshop, but that was more of an afterthought than anything.