Official The Yesterday Quest Topic

the_yesterday_quest.png

Welcome to the Official The Yesterday Quest Topic. Discussion regarding this online serial belongs in this topic; similar topics will be closed. This topic is approved by bonesiii and hosted by S&T Fact Team member Erebus. Suggestions may be PMed to him or posted in this topic.The Yesterday Quest introduces a group of Toa led by Gelu who search for the Great Beings.Chapter 1Toa Onua discusses with the three Toa, Orde, Chiara, and Zaria about their mission to find the Great Beings. They are informed that the Glatorian Gelu will lead them across Spherus Magna.----------Somewhere else on Spherus Magna, the Great Being Angonce heads toward a vault containing a failsafe to kill all the Toa should they conquer the planet, only to see the living weapon smashing its way out.[updates needed for later chapters.]CharactersChiara (KEE-ah-RAH) - BS01 PageChiara is a Toa of Lightning. During her years in the Matoran Universe, she chose to work alone instead of with a Toa Team. She once snuck into a Visorak camp and electrified Colony Drones to jolt the spiders whenever they came to harvest the drones energies.Orde - BS01 PageOrde is a Toa of Psionics. During his career, he once used his powers to save a dozen trapped Matoran from the Dark Hunters, though he was unable to avoid his own capture. The Dark Hunters interrogated Orde until the rest of his Toa Team rescued him.Zaria - BS01 PageZaria is a Toa of Iron. During the time when the Brotherhood of Makuta rebelled against Mata Nui, Zaria's fellow Toa of Iron were hunted down and killed, leaving Zaria as one of the few survivors of the genocide. He later violated the Toa Code by killing a Makuta.External LinksTo read the serial, visit the following links: * BIONICLEstory.com * BIONICLEsector01 Wiki * BIONICLE Reference Center

Edited by bonesiii
ftbanner.gif

• 4 months later...

To be honest, I want to like this serial much more than I actually do. I don't feel that the new characters have been developed well enough for me to care about them. They have potential, certainly- for example, Orde representing the idea that having psychic powers can make you asocial and obnoxious... but, the story has not made me care what happens to him. It's hinted that Zaria is a mysterious character that we're supposed to be intrigued by, but he's faded into the background. And Chiara, well, she's obviously meant to be a way of averting the stereotypes associated with female Toa, but all she's really done so far is zap stuff. To have a strong female character, you need strong characterisation.

Edited by Alyska

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I disagree, the problem isn't the characters (who seem interesting to me).The real problem is we've had like, what, three chapters? There hasn't been any time to bring these Toa into the spotlight which is highly unfortunate because I know Greg can. He's developed Characters wonderfully in the books (right off the top of my head are the Toa Mata, Metru, and Mahri), and a few of the serials when they called for it (Takanuva, Lesovikk, Brutaka). So Zaria, Charia and Orde will make one awesome team if we have time to read about them. Hopefully we'll be getting more chapters soon? :shrugs:

I disagree, the problem isn't the characters (who seem interesting to me).The real problem is we've had like, what, three chapters? There hasn't been any time to bring these Toa into the spotlight which is highly unfortunate because I know Greg can. He's developed Characters wonderfully in the books (right off the top of my head are the Toa Mata, Metru, and Mahri), and a few of the serials when they called for it (Takanuva, Lesovikk, Brutaka). So Zaria, Charia and Orde will make one awesome team if we have time to read about them. Hopefully we'll be getting more chapters soon? :shrugs:

That's sort of what I was getting at. I want to like the characters, because they have that potential, but they've been thrown into the action without being properly developed first. I want to get to know the characters better, but if the story's just moving along at this "BANG! CRASH! PLOT TWIST!" pace, then it's unlikely that they'll be developed to the point where I can really like them.

He could have developed them first, but gradually finding out about their past while on their journey is what he was shooting for I think. And it can work, Brothers in Arms started out the same way with just heading straight into action. Still Vultraz and Mazeka received great character development during the action and spying. Greg can (as before) do the same while moving the plot along. (If we get more chapters ;-; )

Edited by The Great Grant in the Sky

Trouble is, I think the pace of this serial is a lot more rushed than usual. When you're at this stage of introducing new characters, their every action is going to affect the audience's perception of them. A particularly clumsy example was Chiara spontaneously deciding to ZAPPA THE LIZARD! as a way of wrapping up a conversation, causing many fans to think she was a ruthless killer.While it's true that in real life, killing a lizard doesn't make you a terrible person, in fiction, such an act is referred to as a "Kick the dog" moment. It's a random, unprovoked act of violence against an animal or minor character that doesn't really impact the plot, but is used to establish a character as morally unscrupulous or aggressive. (Greg knows this- he used it when the Piraka were introduced.) Greg then backtracked and said that Chiara isn't like that. It seems he was just trying to wrap up a conversation about gender stereotypes in a way that made it clear that he didn't support them. Of course, many fans still missed the point, so he possibly could have been a little more obvious about what he was trying to say.

And there have been a ton of Bionicle characters who appear light or dark, or even grey and become something else entirely later on. Kopaka was completely cold and aggressive in the first comic, harming Matoran, distrusting the Turaga, angry against Pohatu ... yet he's like, one of the most beloved characters in the fanbase. So first impressions of characters aren't that engraved to an open minded reader, which out of all the BZP (and BS01) members I've met I can't name many who aren't.If you take the facts, think about who these characters are and what backstory we have on them. These are grey Toa, who have been alone for years, and I'm expecting them to not necessarily follow the rules or be particularly fond of being easy toward all beings.Sure, Chiara's one incident for infamously killing a lizard has given her a bad reputation to some of the members. But we can't compare that to the Piraka's killing Rahi. It wasn't really a plot twist that those guys were evil, corrupt and largely insane, and killing those Rahi gave them a sick thrill. :P But Greg was trying to wrap up a reason for making Orde male, move the plot along and finish it off with saying it wasn't necessarily right (though more information on the Great Being's thinking pattern would have been interesting but whatever).Afterward he said not all Toa of Lightning were like that and being a "killer" isn't who the character is. It didn't get the best response, but for one incident that for me, wasn't a huge deal to begin with and kinda fit with what we know of the character, I'm sure most are willing to get over it.Besides all of that, Gelu's addition to the team is just perfect. In Raid on Vulcanus he was like, the greatest character ever. So I can't wait for more of him. And the fact that two members of the team know of this Great Being's betrayal is exciting. :3

I do want to see more of Gelu, although the serial hasn't provided a lot of opportunities for fun, lighthearted moments so far, so I don't think we're seeing the best of him yet. He seems very serious all of a sudden...I agree with the bit about wanting to know more about the Great Beings' thoughts/motivations. When Greg set them up as having those sexist opinions, I assumed it was setting the up for some sort of closure where they face their creations and are fored to confront all their misconceptions (As in, you set up a stereotype, and then in later chapers, you work on subverting it). But given that Greg's said he's not going to write about gender relations any more because of the reaction he got, it's unlikely that we'll see anything like that.Add that to the fact that Greg's not allowed to reveal much about the great beings, and it looks like the new Toa may not succeed in their quest to find the GBs at all.

In all honesty Gelu seems pretty normal to me. He's always been known for being easy around friends and swifter toward enemies. His whole world has been changed over night, he's traveling into unknown territory with unknown allies heading for unknown enemies. I'd assume he'd be cautious, because who really would trust these Toa that wield commands over elements?We probably will get more closure with the Great Beings, concerning how most of their creations (Mata Nui, Matoran, Toa, Skakdi, Makuta, the hundreds of beings willing to be Dark Hunters) have gone destructive over the centuries and skewed from their "destinies". I mean Greg seems to be setting that up with the Hidden Great Being. But really, it all boils down to more chapters.

In all honesty Gelu seems pretty normal to me. He's always been known for being easy around friends and swifter toward enemies. His whole world has been changed over night, he's traveling into unknown territory with unknown allies heading for unknown enemies. I'd assume he'd be cautious, because who really would trust these Toa that wield commands over elements?We probably will get more closure with the Great Beings, concerning how most of their creations (Mata Nui, Matoran, Toa, Skakdi, Makuta, the hundreds of beings willing to be Dark Hunters) have gone destructive over the centuries and skewed from their "destinies". I mean Greg seems to be setting that up with the Hidden Great Being. But really, it all boils down to more chapters.

What if it was in the GB's interests to have people skewing from their destinies? Edited by FlutterTree

GT: Voyagerin

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong, is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong,

it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."

What if it was in the GB's interests to have people skewing from their destinies?
To be honest, that'd be awesome. I'm hoping for that explanation, though I doubt it. lol

• 2 weeks later...

The Vorox may be able to shut off elemental power, but do they have the technology to shut off mask powers? If not, then Volitak-wearing Chiara can use her mask to escape.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

• 2 weeks later...

This serial is (was?) too rushed, indeed, for character development or anything savory. That's why I like to take matters into my own hands when it comes to BIONICLE's story. But I digress. The idea of the Toa facing down the GBs and pointing out all their big whopping mistakes is very tantalizing, and I'd love to see it; but for that very reason, I expect it won't happen. I'm predicting The Yesterday Quest will end (if it goes any further) with a disappointing and completely random conclusion like Brothers in Arms.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

This serial is (was?) too rushed, indeed, for character development or anything savory. That's why I like to take matters into my own hands when it comes to BIONICLE's story. But I digress. The idea of the Toa facing down the GBs and pointing out all their big whopping mistakes is very tantalizing, and I'd love to see it; but for that very reason, I expect it won't happen. I'm predicting The Yesterday Quest will end (if it goes any further) with a disappointing and completely random conclusion like Brothers in Arms.

What with the current number of updates, I feel you're optomistic in predicting an ending :PAll endings are a matter of opinion anyway, to take your example, I quite like the end of Brothers in Arms. However I'd agree that The Yesterday Quest doesn't look like it's going anywhere really. Personally I'd say it's trying to create new storyline, when there are so many bits of storyline still open that need solving. It's kind of like starting to eat dessert before you've finished the main course really...

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

I did mention in my parentheses that I have big doubts as to whether it will ever continue. :P I agree that creating new storylines rather than wrapping up old ones is a bad move, but that is, always has been, and always will be, Greg's style of writing. To enjoy BIONICLE, you have to grit your teeth and bear it. (Or do what I do and re-imagine it so that it actually works.)As for the ending of Brothers in Arms, it really disappointed me, since it threw in another alternate universe - one that barely made sense - and Mazeka never completed his goal of apprehending Vultraz. Not personally, or in any other satisfying way. (There's another case like this from the same age of BIONICLE -- Tobduk. His big motivation is what Chirox did to his people and his life, he's out to get him, and how does Chirox die? Not at Tobduk's hands, no, he gets hit by a lightning bolt. I seek to remedy this in Makuta Hunt.) That's one of the most annoying things in BIONICLE: all the Boba Fett / Mace Windu cases.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison