What Should The Next Spinny Be? Or Should There Only Be 10?

fishers64

Rocka's head is nice, but I don't approve this idea. BZP was born like a BIONICLE site and so it should have remained, even if the line has been discontinued. I think a more generic Mata Nui island would have been perfect. But, whatever, it's not in my power to decide this.
What does the island of Mata Nui have to do with the year 2012? Absolutely nothing.BZP is still a Bionicle site, but it's not going to pretend Bionicle is going to keep the site alive on its own. There is zero new Bionicle content being released currently, with the exception of one or two new images each month on FaberFiles. Meanwhile, Bionicle's creators (Lego) continue to put out new products and media, giving us something to discuss that hasn't already been beaten to death over Bionicle's 10-year lifespan.Frankly, your post is the kind that gives Bionicle fans the negative image of being stuck in the past. Shifting our focus as a site is nowhere near the same thing as abandoning our roots.
I'm not to stay stuck to the past, and I grant you I that I don't hate HF. It's okay, but I find it less intiguing than BIONICLE was. That's all. But I wanted to say that a Mata Nui island would have fit better, IMO. Or perhaps nothing. Mata Nui island spinny would have felt more hierarchic-like, honestly, more than a Rocka's head. Dunno if you get what I mean.But, to be honest, I have to admit Mata Nui island doesn't share anything with 2012.

I have decided to quit BZPower (prefereby by having my account completely deleted) the day before I get that spinny. I am absolutely disgusted.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

I have decided to quit BZPower (prefereby by having my account completely deleted) the day before I get that spinny. I am absolutely disgusted.
Yeah, no one is going to delete your account because you don't like a spinny.Then again, you have 7 years before reaching that point so I'm sure you'll probably change your mind by then.

Yo.

Yeah, no one is going to delete your account because you don't like a spinny.Then again, you have 7 years before reaching that point so I'm sure you'll probably change your mind by then.
Or Bionicle might come back by then! :) If it does then I take it all back.

If you use correct grammar in your posts (or try hard to), place this in your signature. Join Myst's campaign for correct grammar usage on BZPower!

Well, it's a HF one. And I'd like to be happy for it. But I'm not.I wasn't expecting another BIONICLE one, that would never have fitted BZP's new direction. I hoped that it's new direction did mean it wouldn't be a HF spinny though, because the whole Lego range would be available to choose from. But it's not going to change, and I'll probably never see it next to my name.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Well, it's a HF one. And I'd like to be happy for it. But I'm not.I wasn't expecting another BIONICLE one, that would never have fitted BZP's new direction. I hoped that it's new direction did mean it wouldn't be a HF spinny though, because the whole Lego range would be available to choose from. But it's not going to change, and I'll probably never see it next to my name.
While it's true that any LEGO-related spinny could have embodied the expansion of BZPower's focus, I think a Hero Factory spinny is particularly appropriate. Hero Factory is BIONICLE's most direct successor and is a major part of BIONICLE's legacy, just as BZPower is a major part of the BIONICLE fandom's legacy. If we really wanted to "abandon our site's roots", then why would we pick a constraction-based spinny at all instead of, say, a LEGO Ninjago weapon?Yes, the BZPower populace has moved on to other LEGO themes in a lot of ways. But the reason they have moved on to the specific themes they did is directly because they were at one time BIONICLE fans, and so story-driven and constraction themes continue to dominate the discussion here. Just look at how little discussion there is of LEGO Star Wars and LEGO City, two of the most popular themes among both kids and AFOLs. Rather than abandoning our roots we are building on them, seeking out new interests that give us the same enjoyment we found in the various aspects of BIONICLE.It should also be considered that a lot of the individuals who worked on the BIONICLE sets went on to work on Hero Factory sets. For all we know, Rocka's helmet could be designed by one of the BIONICLE part designers.With that said, I would have preferred Stormer's or Furno's helmets, since they would bridge the gap between where the 2010 spinny (Tahu's gold Hau) left off and the current year. I understand the logic behind choosing the more outwardly-current helmet of Rocka, though. And it is a beautiful spinny.

Aanchir pretty much said everything I wanted to say, except with more clarity. :3Seriously guys: it's a neat spinny, and that's all that really matters. BZPower is moving on form being a purely BIONICLE site, and that's okay. Change is a big part of life, and it's going to happen whether you like it or not, so you might as well make the best of it.And here's the best of it: it's a gorgeous spinny.

And honestly, the rhetoric from the staff really shows that you ARE throwing out what made this site. The spinny's just a symptom. Again, as I have repeated constantly, I don't hate the spinny at all, I'm just slightly bummed that it couldn't have been Bionicle or at least something more representative and universal of Hero Factory (like Furno). But Rocka is cool, and the gif seems great. You are the one who continues getting annoyed at the fact that someone prefers Bionicle over Hero Factory.
I'll address the rhetoric bit in a moment...[snip] It's not a straw man argument, it actually happens! It's happened in this topic even, just look through all the pages and you'll see people arguing that Hero Factory is essentially a scourge against BZPower. But that becomes then thing then, when people say those types of things, it happens to associate all dissent with it. People grow tired of constant complaining, so even if it isn't much more than "I'm disappointed it wasn't Bionicle" it ends up bringing back up those old wounds so to speak.
I mentioned "straw man" because the person I was having a discussion with was projecting that image onto me, when I had clearly stated that I was not a full representative of that image. I don't adamantly hate Hero Factory. Associating all dissent with it=Straw man.Of course, regardless of what someone thinks of Hero Factory or Bionicle, that's their opinion, and it should be respected while being questioned.
And that dovetails into our rhetoric that supposedly shows that we are throwing away our rich Bionicle history (despite several staff members saying that we have a surprise in the works that definitely keeps up our Bionicle tradition). Our rhetoric may seem more heated at times, but it's because we've grown weary of having to deal with people telling us we shouldn't do anything not related to Bionicle. We want what's best for BZPower, we want to move the site forward and continue to be a great news and community site, but that's difficult to do when your subject material is dead and not coming back. We do our best to honor Bionicle (and if we were going to throw away our Bionicle history why would we keep our rank images, the existing 10 years of spinnies, etc..) but we need to be forward looking and do what we can to keep interest in the site alive. It's a struggle for us as we lost one of our biggest differentiators against other Lego fan sites. So if we seem impatient when all we get is people complaining that we're ignoring our Bionicle history by doing things not related to Bionicle, understand it comes from the perspective of people trying to juggle keeping this site relevant while hold true to our roots, all of which takes us time to develop.
I understand, agree with, and appreciate the staff's efforts.
And honestly, the rhetoric from the staff really shows that you ARE throwing out what made this site.
I do believe this will soon be proven wrong on a considerably larger scale than a small rotating image.And really I don't see any "rhetoric" that suggests we're abandoning the BIONICLE roots. The site's focus is going to broaden to incorporate LEGO as a whole, but take a look at the rank images, the ranks, the front page graphics, and the site's name. They're all BIONICLE-based. The news post tags? Those are masks from ten years ago. Tohu's still Tohu, still a Mata head with large Mata gears. The ranks encompass many years of BIONICLE, even having been expanded from what they were originally. Even the proto bars are based around Protodermis. Those aren't about to be changed.However, moving forward we can't always be looking back. Spinnies are representative of the years, and this year was Hero Factory. Last year was special, so it was the odd one out. Making this year's spinny represent all of Hero Factory wouldn't fit, especially given that Hero Factory is likely to continue further.I personally was against using Furno or Stormer as the spinny, simply because they used the same helmet molds as they did in 2010. For me it was a toss-up between Evo and Rocka, with Rocka winning out because he was sort of the "flagship" of the initial Breakout wave and because he kept to the gold-or-red motif that's prevalent in the spinnies.tl;dr: Having something that isn't BIONICLE doesn't mean we're abandoning our roots. This is a very silly thing to be arguing about in general.
It's a general feeling I was getting, even after the layout changes (if that's all that is being advertised). Though slight changes of the present might point that out, the clear statements by some staff members (this page even) indicate that some feel as though keeping to our Bionicle roots is a bad thing, and we should embrace Hero Factory or other lines with open arms. Nothing wrong with that opinion, by the way, until it is taken to the extreme of "You like Bionicle or would like if it came back? IT'S OVER GET OVER IT LIKE HERO FACTORY NOW".That's something I have a huge problem with. It's forcing change, as opposed to allowing it happen, and it is the attitude that seems to come off of certain staff members. Not all, just some. And even the site fan base as well. I can name quite a few members who do not post as often because of it.However, the Rocka spinny, as I have repeated constantly, is great, and represents 2012 in an okay way (though perhaps something else might have been chosen, like another more universal HF character).
Rocka's head is nice, but I don't approve this idea. BZP was born like a BIONICLE site and so it should have remained, even if the line has been discontinued. I think a more generic Mata Nui island would have been perfect. But, whatever, it's not in my power to decide this.
It's a good spinny, though, not necessarily my favorite, but good enough.
You realize you guys are all arguing and getting all worked up over an inconsequential 30-pixel gif, right?
Most people are just expressing minor disappointment, save for a select few.I see everyone else getting worked up that others aren't drooling at the fact that it's an HF spinny. Besides, what really works me up is when my opinions are misrepresented. The gif is fine.
Heh, I suppose I was mistaken then. I really assumed your argument was one towards BIONICLE and BZPower as a whole, not aimed at the specific spinny. In any case, I was stupid to let myself get so drawn in.
It was a little bit of both, actually.
I apologize if I ever spoke in a rude or condescending way. I support the open sharing of ideas and opinions, but my argument was merely against the notion one small aspect of this site, which sits to the side of someone's post and is essentially unnoticeable being representative of this site's entire history, as well as the fact that sticking to our "BIONICLE roots" is going to get us nowhere if we do it too faithfully.-SK
Apology accepted. I understand your opinion.
I think the problem here is that they don't realize just how inconsequential 30 pixels really are.-SK
Interesting.

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

I'm one of the people who's all in the BIONICLE camp and has no feelings for Hero Factory. I don't the characters, the sets, anything. I'm here for BIONICLE, on what I believe is the biggest BIONICLE site there is, but whatever people want to discuss, fine. I still would have liked the spinnies to have stayed BIONICLE-related, like the post count images and the general theme of the site forums has. If BIONICLE dies on this site, I think that's it. I don't know of any sites with as big of a BIONICLE fanbase gathered in one place as this one. I'm here for the storyline discussion and theories, for the art, the stories and the RPGs. I'm here for BIONICLE, through and through. As discussed earlier, there are still a lot of things that might symbolize BIONICLE as a spinny. It's not as if the progression of the story years had any meaning beyond the first wave anyways, since there are always members with the "wrong" year displayed.I realize that a spinny is just a small GIF; that it has no real consequence on the content of this site or the mentality of those who view it. However, I see the new one being HF-related as a sign that the site is drifting more and more towards other things than BIONICLE. An inescapable consequence of the line ending, perhaps, but I'm a bit afraid that eventually, the site itself will reshape too much. Just as easily as it became a HF helmet, the spinny could have been a Krahkaan, or a Mata Nui stone, or anything, really.I hope the rest of the site will keep its theme, at least.

That's the problem. People are seeing this as some kind of "omen" that BZP is on some slippery slope to forgetting BIONICLE forever.The spinny isn't the only indication that the site is taking a more general approach now. The fact that the forum setup was rearranged seems like it would be a bit more obvious than a spinny, but maybe people have just gotten used to that by now.I guess people are imagining that the site is consistently drifting further and further away from BIONICLE. Not really. There was a big jump to accommodate non-BIONICLE discussion better (otherwise the site would shrivel up and die) and from there there hasn't been much in the way of changes, other than the NinjaGo Wiki partnership, the new (BIONICLE-themed) skin, and the new spinny.

OpAXNpl.jpg