What Should The Next Spinny Be? Or Should There Only Be 10?

fishers64

Something Hero Factory-related could be cool, but some people might not like it. A LEGO Brick would be nice as well. I honestly prefer the latter, but I could deal with either option.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Yeah, if we do add another spinny a brick would be a nice choice in my opinion. Perhaps a little simplistic, but that's not a bad thing.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Hapori Dume or Kim Possible. *crickets, blank stares directed at me* Man, I feel old...In all seriousness, I think it'll be hard to top Tohu himself, but I like the idea of the Mata Nui robot's head.

A Hero Factory helmet would be my choice. Preferably one that features in both this year's sets and in the 2010 sets, like Furno's or Stormer's. That would be a good way to transition from BIONICLE-specific spinnies to other LEGO-related spinnies, since it would both pick up where BIONICLE left off and reflect this year's sets. After that the spinnies could continue drawing from the most recent year's LEGO sets, just as they did when BIONICLE was still around.

I don't think that there's ( or there will be ) plenty of 11-BZP-yearers.

Almost every current 10-year member will become an 11-year member within the next year.Almost every current 9-year member will become an 11-year member within the year after that.And so on until the site shuts down.Every member is going to have joined "eleven years ago" at some point.

OpAXNpl.jpg

First, five stars to this topic.Okay, if we start doing HF spinnies, probably not now but sometime a Hero Core as Gata said or just an H would be PRETTY COOL.No, not just any ordinary H, i mean, The H.others i'm thinking are a LEGO Brick, a BZPower-based or a BIONICE spinny.

THE H sorry couldn't resist saying it but I do agree.

Hapori Dume or Kim Possible.*crickets, blank stares directed at me* Man, I feel old...In all seriousness, I think it'll be hard to top Tohu himself, but I like the idea of the Mata Nui robot's head.

I can see it now: the stage has been set for the Clikits' epic return. They never really left; they've just been waiting.The thing about further Bionicle spinnies is that it sort of breaks the pattern we've had thus far of a spinny related to each year. Tohu works so well in part due to the fact he represents the first year where BZP's standing on its own with the line/story done. (At least, that's the way I see it - as Deevs pointed out below, it was really just a milestone thing.) Lego bricks or HF spinnies would help represent the site moving forward. Edited by GSR

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

I think they should stop at 10.

No way. Why should we do that? Then there will be no emblem to show "I've been around the block a few times" or "Ask me if you need to know anything. I've had time to learn and adjust to the rules."

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Tohu works so well in part due to the fact he represents the first year where BZP's standing on its own with the line/story done. Lego bricks or HF spinnies would help represent the site moving forward.

That's neat, but it's not why we picked Tohu for the ten year spinny. We picked him because he is the site's mascot and ten years is a big deal. It seemed appropriate.The eleven year spinny will exist, and it will probably be a HF helmet.

31399314352_5890b9b8a3_o.jpg

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that's why the staff chose him - it's just one of the reasons it works in my opinion. I'll edit my post to clarify.

Edited by GSR

The eleven year spinny will exist,

Yay!

and it will probably be a HF helmet.

Dude, why you have to harsh my mellow... =/ Well, I guess it'd be fine if it were Breeze's helmet. If it were Furno's THEN it would harsh my mellow (Furno has yet to have a cool helmet design). XPIt occurs to me that we have never had a Miru spinny or a teal colored spinny.That's just... tragic... D=Seriously, we need more teal pieces on this site. XP Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

I don't really get the backlash against HF helmets possibly being used instead of masks. I say "possibly" because nothing is definite yet, and it probably won't until later on, closer to the anniversary of the site. Helmets are HF's version of masks, and since HF is the successor line to BIONICLE anyway (even its staunchest adversaries have to admit the set similarities), I don't know why there's surprise over the mere mention of these as possibilities for next year's spinny.Plus, it wouldn't be the first time we did a helmet. (8-year Ackar, anyone?)

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Perhaps a sucession of the original Toa Mata's masks, all in Gold for the next six years. I'm coming down on the anti-HF helmet side. The spinny is a tiny little thing, and I don't think it will reflect badly on the sites new 'Lego News, Reference and Discussion' image by staying BIONICLE themed. Alternatively, I suggest leaving it as Tohu for another 5 or 10 years, then having like a gold Tohu. The idea of a gold spinny appeals to me for some reason...

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Perhaps a sucession of the original Toa Mata's masks, all in Gold for the next six years.I'm coming down on the anti-HF helmet side. The spinny is a tiny little thing, and I don't think it will reflect badly on the sites new 'Lego News, Reference and Discussion' image by staying BIONICLE themed.Alternatively, I suggest leaving it as Tohu for another 5 or 10 years, then having like a gold Tohu. The idea of a gold spinny appeals to me for some reason...

The only reason I would prefer a Hero Factory helmet is that having new spinnies completely unrelated to the current year would break with the tradition that has been long established. What a spinny golden Hau would mean in terms of age would be less intuitive than the previous spinnies. Never mind what a golden Kakama would mean (wait... is that... 12 years? 14? 17? :???: )Some might argue that having non-BIONICLE-related spinnies would also break with tradition, but I think that particular tradition is less important than the other one I mention. It would be silly to go on for decades drawing from just one decade's worth of mask designs and ignoring everything that had happened since then.Looking at the spinnies we have already, I think Preston Stormer's helmet would be most suited for the task. Furno's has a similar classic appeal, but there are already more than enough red spinnies.

The only reason I would prefer a Hero Factory helmet is that having new spinnies completely unrelated to the current year would break with the tradition that has been long established. What a spinny golden Hau would mean in terms of age would be less intuitive than the previous spinnies. Never mind what a golden Kakama would mean (wait... is that... 12 years? 14? 17? :???: )

I can see what you mean in some cases, but that system only worked because BZPower was created for BIONICLE. Therefore, the Vahi for 1 year came out after 1 year of BIONICLE. And the Avohkii for two years. And the Great Huna for Three years, and so on. But Hero Factories been around for 2-3 years or something, and therefore it seems to be its relevance to 11 years is pretty irrelevant.You also have to say that the spinny system already isn't perfect. The Vahi doesn't remind me of the first year of BIONICLE, but the 3rd-4th with 2004. And then there's the Hau for the 9 year spinny, which is really out of place. It's relevance to the BIONIClE storyline at that point was minimal, it's presence was based purely on Tahu Stars, which is just a tribute to a 2001 set. So really, you could say that the Hau should be Year 1.I'm not saying the system needs changing completely, I'm saying that the choice for the next spinny should not be based on the idea that previous spinnies were representative of that year of sets or storyline, because they don't really do that.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't

Another suggestion I must agree with was Taipu1's suggestion of Gold Mata masks, with the exception being the Hau because it was the 9th year spinny if I'm not mistaken. I would like to see a Gold Miru or a Teal Miru next.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

I'm not saying the system needs changing completely, I'm saying that the choice for the next spinny should not be based on the idea that previous spinnies were representative of that year of sets or storyline, because they don't really do that.

Every single spinny before Tohu came from that year's sets. The orange vahi was a huge part of the first story, and it was the first "legendary mask", and was featured on the mask boxes, though it was not inside them. It was a huge promo deal in 2001.

I'm not saying the system needs changing completely, I'm saying that the choice for the next spinny should not be based on the idea that previous spinnies were representative of that year of sets or storyline, because they don't really do that.

Every single spinny before Tohu came from that year's sets. The orange vahi was a huge part of the first story, and it was the first "legendary mask", and was featured on the mask boxes, though it was not inside them. It was a huge promo deal in 2001.
The two-year spinny was added in 2002, though, where the Vahi had no importance whatsoever, if I remember right. Not having been there for the decision I can only guess but maybe the Vahi was used because it´s the Mask of Time, and the spinnies represent how much time has passed since you joined. :shrugs:-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

The two-year spinny was added in 2002, though, where the Vahi had no importance whatsoever, if I remember right. Not having been there for the decision I can only guess but maybe the Vahi was used because it´s the Mask of Time, and the spinnies represent how much time has passed since you joined. :shrugs:-Gata signoff.jpg
It was used because it was the only Legendary mask at the time, and had nothing to do with the time pun. It was an important mark for the first year's run, that ended about the same time the spinny was introduced. From there on the tradition has always been a mask from that year's story. Remember that the BIONICLE saga started mostly in the summer of 2001, and spinnies get introduced halfway through the year.

It was used because it was the only Legendary mask at the time, and had nothing to do with the time pun. It was an important mark for the first year's run, that ended about the same time the spinny was introduced. From there on the tradition has always been a mask from that year's story. Remember that the BIONICLE saga started mostly in the summer of 2001, and spinnies get introduced halfway through the year.

Then I guess an Infected Hau would have been the best choice. Simply because, as it's the tenth anniversary and the mask was the very first image we saw.

"Dream, not of what you are, but of what you want to be."

Credit to Surreality for the banner, and to bonesiii, Black Six and Binkmeister for the Proto Boosts!

Hapori Dume or Kim Possible. *crickets, blank stares directed at me* Man, I feel old...In all seriousness, I think it'll be hard to top Tohu himself, but I like the idea of the Mata Nui robot's head.

Hapori should be for year 13 (unlucky 13 :P)

doom4revalt.png

Wasn't the Mask of Time released in 2002 as part of a Walgreens promotion? I know it was originally going to be released in 2001 with the BIONICLE PC game, but since that never got released I believe 2002 might have been the Kanohi Vahi's first official release date.

If we start doing HF heads I quit.

Goodbye! We will miss you!On topic: Let's get Furno's helmet!
I'd prefer Stormer's helmet. While I have nothing against Furno (indeed, he gets a lot of uncalled-for hate), I think Stormer's 2010/2012 helmet is more iconic-looking. Plus it'd be white, which would stand out more than yet another red spinny. Although maybe the white wouldn't stand out against the white forum background... that would be an issue.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother