Hero Factory Movie In The Works

The Hollywood Reporter has a story this evening that's sure to make waves in the LEGO community. Universal Studios is working to acquire the rights to create a Hero Factory movie. The current proposal is set to be a live-action feature, not a 3D animated movie like you might expect. Nothing has been finalized at this point, but this could be a huge move on the part of LEGO to go into the live action movie space, where films based on toy lines have done very well in recent years.View the full article

I'm neither liking nor hating the idea of a Hero Factory movie, but here's hoping it turns out decent.

[size=4][color=#FF0000][color=#000000]Formerly known as ROTF Devastator[/color][/color][/size]
Kittiez sigpet made by Mr Nebby
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/vakama18/Stuff/shockwave_sig.jpg[/img][img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Nrdy/Kittiez/W1/tabby.png[/img]

As opposed to other Lego toys, Hero Factory, which is marketed with the tagline “We Build Heroes,” has a distinct storyline and a dense mythology.

LOL. [/font]

[/font]The Hero Factory line includes not only the toys but comics, a computer app and a theme park.[/font]

[/font]This is news to me. :lol:[/font]Seriously, however, good luck with that, Lego guys. Maybe you'll actually make a film worth seeing. [/font] [/font]

I hope it's as epic as Transformers and Battleship, but I'm curious about the "Live Action" part of it. Does that mean it's going to be CGI heroes defending Earth, or live action human actors playing heroes, like Veiger said. That would be very strange. I hope it's in the Transformers style, because that would be epic! I can't wait to see how it turns out, although a Bionicle movie would be better. :P

This could be pretty cool. Just so long as they don't get some talentless hack like Michael Bay to direct this, it should do fine, but after seeing what happened with Transformers, I'm a little wary of having anyone other than LEGO having any control over a great franchise like this while bringing it to the big screen. Oh well. :shrugs: I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope that this ends up being awesome and does justice to the source material.~Kodan~

kodan_skull_sig_white_small.jpg

Oh, how I hope this will turn out well, even OK. Otherwise, I'll just have a facepalm moment.

jimistringer.png

Why are orange and black such a good color Combination ? Purple is pretty, and so is blue. Pink hurts your eyes, green is quite mellowing, black is very threatning, red is cool, orange is SO awesome, yellow's hard to read... But you can't see white at all! Oh, wait. I forgot brown.

Here's my thoughts: If a person tells the truth and says, " I always lie," Is he lying? Or is he telling the truth? And what has a mouth, but no head, and a body, but no torso? Do caterpillars like to tend to supporting colum of stone's every need? Or is that name misleading by nature? Speaking of nature, why are the children of animals called offspring? don't many young beasts come alive in spring, and thus, should be called onspring? Heeeeeeyy..... I got the first post on a page for the first time. Who knows; it may happen again. What the... It did happen again... and again...

YEAH! I'M ENCOUNTERING PROTODERMIS!

Hero Factory is about robots and contains no humans. How can it be live action?

Earth exists within the HF universe. It's doable. Just so long as it doesn't actually involve humans turning into heroes, I think it could work. I for one look forward to this movie. Even if it ends up being sub-par, I want to see some realistic CGI representations of HF characters. Oh how I want to see that.

AXKP5KC.png

You would think they would have done a Bionicle movie. But, something tells me we might not be pleased with a film based on Bionicle, so let Hero Factory take the heat! :P Nah just kidding, I hope it does great, I might actually see it.

Have free time and wanna read a comedy? Why not read mine called Those Crazy Sets! or BarrakiLeader735's called Ask the Glatorian!

R.I.P Grandpa. You will be missed.

bionicle_sig2.png

Interesting. The fact that they've got names attached and a direction for the film suggests this could get some traction, though it could just as easily go nowhere. That said, if it did get the green light, that would probably keep HF going for another few years, since movies don't exactly get made fast.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

This is surprising. I knew there was going to be a live action Lego movie coming out soon, but this sounds like a second one, and I would've thought they'd wait to see how the first one did before progressing on.Anyway, this must mean that there's going to be a Hero Factory theme for the foreseeable future. It'll be interesting to see how the movie works out and how the current storyline builds into it.:music:

OH MY GOD this is amazing! :blink: The live action part confuses me, though. I hope this doesn´t become cheesy. Maybe if it´s just background characters like attacked civilists and all the rest (Heroes, HF staff and villains) remain robots it will be fine. Now, I don´t expect a brilliant storyline but CGI effects as in Transformers would be great. :P What does worry me, however, are the screenwriters, whose previous works haven´t got very good ratings. :unsure:You know, the advantage of not making a BIONICLE movie is that, even if we may have preferred that, a failure of that would have been worse. Quite frankly, if a HF or a BIONICLE movie have to fail, I prefer the HF movie to do so. :P I like HF, but BIONICLE is too epic to be messed up in a movie. Still, I look forward to hearing more from this! :rolleyes:-Gata signoff.jpg

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Making live-action movies based on toy lines doesn't work.Look at how poorly Battleship has been received.

Transformers and GI Joe both did well financially, and even if Battleship was poorly received, it still made money in the end. For the companies, sometimes that's all that matters.
Well, I hope LEGO will care about more than money for this. Anyway, I guess if LEGO doesn´t like the script, they will simply not accept it, so I figure it won´t be worse than the TV episodes. :P-Gata signoff.jpg Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

OH MY GOD this is amazing! :blink: The live action part confuses me, though. I hope this doesn´t become cheesy. Maybe if it´s just background characters like attacked civilists and all the rest (Heroes, HF staff and villains) remain robots it will be fine. Now, I don´t expect a brilliant storyline but CGI effects as in Transformers would be great. :P What does worry me, however, are the screenwriters, whose previous works haven´t got very good ratings. :unsure:You know, the advantage of not making a BIONICLE movie is that, even if we may have preferred that, a failure of that would have been worse. Quite frankly, if a HF or a BIONICLE movie have to fail, I prefer the HF movie to do so. :P I like HF, but BIONICLE is too epic to be messed up in a movie. Still, I look forward to hearing more from this! :rolleyes:-Gata signoff.jpg

Actually inclined to agree with this one. Oh well, now that it's too late for BIONICLE to get treatment like this, there's still nothing stopping projects like BNG from succeeding at least. In fact they would probably be a lot more faithful to the franchise than a multi-million film company :)I guess Hero Factory would also work a lot better than BIONICLE would in live-action, because there are actually humans in HF.

For me, BIONICLE was an epic science fantasy saga with a deep and complex lore, and was best when it was exactly that in its later years. I'm not sorry if that offended you.

You know what I really look forward to, no matter how the film will turn out? To all the concept art and teasers we could get over the months before the movie. We always got that for the BIONICLE movies and I missed it for HF and Ninjago. :rolleyes:This could be a huge opportunity for LEGO. Even if the movie doesn´t turn out so great, I can imagine the HF sets flying off the shelves.-Gata signoff.jpg

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

No.NO.The transition from animated to live-action never goes well! I may not be the most hardcore Hero Factory fan, but I care enough to point out this is their worst idea since Voltix's color scheme. How would this even work? Would they just dress up the actors in robot suits? Or are they going to make all of the characters human instead of robots? Oh, please don't tell me they're going to bring CGI Hero Factory heroes to Earth to battle for some obscure reason just so that we can have special effects and explosions.Lego, please, PLEASE don't seriously consider this. We may not have been able to stop Universal from making the Battleship movie, but we CAN stop this trainwreck.

This is an interesting tidbit of news, but it should be remembered that there were a lot of people vying to make a BIONICLE movie in the early days of that theme, and that many of the proposals got rejected because the intent was (as in the early concepts for BIONICLE Heroes) to have human kids play a key role in the film. Granted, Hero Factory has a much looser, more adaptable storyline that could potentially handle this kind of story a lot better, but the risk you always run with introducing human characters is that they will become the focus of the story, taking it away from the robot characters who some audiences may have more difficulty identifying with.Still, it's hard to say whether being "in negotiations" will lead to anything. If it does, then I certainly hope for the best. This seems like it could end up being something of a scale far grander than the direct-to-DVD movies the LEGO Group has released in the past, and as such there's the inherent risk that TLG will be pressured to give up some of their creative freedom for this project.

>Live action.>Hero Factory.>Feature length film.Oh God, I'm out of here. This does not bode well. So, what are we looking at here, little Jimmy who lives a boring life until he finds out he's the key to saving the universe with the Power Rangers Hero Factory? Yeah, you can count me out.

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

I for one have no problem with the live-action aspect, so long as the heroes themselves remain robots. I loved the early Hero Factory materials like the teaser videos and Hero Factory FM that treated Earth as just another part of the Hero Factory universe. If they want to make a human "main" character, I hope they at least keep them largely an observer of the action, like the American reporter Hollywood added when bringing the original Godzilla to the West.I'm honestly not all that worried about this. The Hero Factory TV episodes are not the best, so they're going in with my standards already lowered. I imagine that if this ends up in the hands of at least a semi-competent director, it may well become the best Hero Factory adaptation we've seen so far.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

This has a very, very large potential for failure. That said, there's still hope. Maybe the screenwriters will know how to make the story child-friendly while still giving the older members of families something strong to enjoy. Maybe "live-action" means CGI capture for the Heroes. Maybe the script will at least hint toward the origins of Hero Factory, a topic I've long found intriguing.But then, maybe the story will be oversimplified, maybe we'll have Heroes who can shoot little probes out of the sky with pinpoint accuracy but be completely unable to shoot at an enemy dangling from the ceiling (remember that TV episode?), and maybe we'll have a huge overdose of kids in the movie (which would of course mean that they all survive).I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway.

Edited by Legolover-361

I have a bad feeling that this live-action HF movie will not turn out well. I mean, I hope that it does turn into a good movie with a solid story, but it also has a lot of room for failure. I guess we'll just have to wait for when (or if) this movie comes out to see how good it is.

Edited by The Smoke Monster

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

I don't think this will do too well.... I will await until I can either say "I told you so", or be proven wrong. At this point there is little I can really say. xD

line.gif

new_roman_banner1.png

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Spherus Magna redo | Tzais-Kuluu  |  Pushing Back The Tide  |  Last Words  |  Black Coronation  | Blue Man Bound | Visions of Thasos   ن

We are all but grey specks in a dark complex before a single white light

My, my. This is an interesting tidbit of news. I have long been a supporter of the "Bring Back BIONICLE" movement, but I care about HF enough to hope this goes well. My hope is that they use motion capture for the Heroes and few or no humans. As someone above mentioned, people might be more inclined to identify with a human than a robot.As to a BIONICLE movie, yes, it would be better for a HF movie to fail. Perhaps this will be a test by Lego in preparation for releasing movies that we might be more interested in? (Hint hint)That said, I hope this goes well. It has a great potential for failure, which may even outweigh its potential for success.

"______ travels to Earth to conquer the planet and enslave its residents to further his own evil agenda. Just when all seems lost, _____ discovers a way to contact the fabled Hero Factory, a factory on a faraway world that manufactures robotic heroes to ensure galactic peace. Seeing this as humanity's last resort, _____ places a distress call to the Hero Factory in the hopes that they can save Earth from _____. An elite team of heroes is dispatched to stop _____, but will it be too late?"There, that's the story right there. Plausible, not stretching any boundaries, and with potential to be interesting.Those who have the strange notion that the heroes will be portrayed in live action.... yeah. That's very unlikely. Heroes and villains will likely be CG, whereas the humans, civilians, supporting characters, etc. will be portrayed as such.Looking forward to this greatly; whether it succeeds or fails, I'll enjoy watching it, and it'll likely establish a precedent for future lego movies to improve upon.The only thing I wonder is if it will be a continuation of the already existing HF storyline, possibly coinciding with some set releases, or whether it will just be a timeline ambiguous story with old villains. Time will tell, I suppose.-Mesonak

Edited by Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

I'm too busy trying to wrap my head around the reality of this news to pre-judge it.And now I'm just laughing at this. Whether it's good or bad, I'll probably get a kick out of it either way.

Edited by Chols

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

Making live-action movies based on toy lines doesn't work.Look at how poorly Battleship has been received.

Transformers and GI Joe both did well financially, and even if Battleship was poorly received, it still made money in the end. For the companies, sometimes that's all that matters.
Indeed, and I enjoyed the first two.

Actually inclined to agree with this one. Oh well, now that it's too late for BIONICLE to get treatment like this, there's still nothing stopping projects like BNG from succeeding at least. In fact they would probably be a lot more faithful to the franchise than a multi-million film company :)I guess Hero Factory would also work a lot better than BIONICLE would in live-action, because there are actually humans in HF.
As annoyed as I was over the fact that HF got a movie and Bionicle didn't, you both have a point. Grr. Cor.

>Live action.>Hero Factory.>Feature length film.Oh God, I'm out of here. This does not bode well. So, what are we looking at here, little Jimmy who lives a boring life until he finds out he's the key to saving the universe with the Power Rangers Hero Factory? Yeah, you can count me out.

^ I Lol'd.

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

I hope it's not some little kids thing like the Bio. movies were!

I have no signature. Boo-Hoo.

My BZPRPG

92% of BZPers use sigfads. If you are part of the 8% that think them pointless, copy and paste this into your signature.

banner_beatdown1.png

Yayz! I'm an old, defenseless leader guy!