Hero Factory Movie In The Works

Hero Factory is a much less structured theme than BIONICLE was. There are many things what could be dome with it. It has a large potential for failure, but I think it can be avoided with relative ease if we have the right people making it. I heard Veggie Tales mentioned. I think that Big Idea (makers of Veggie Tales) does, better than anything else, adult humor. If this movie is made, they need to make it something that people of all ages could enjoy. Cheap jokes aimed at the younger audience ought to be highly restricted and accompanied by the sort of mature joke that surfaces every once in a while in Veggie Tales. Someone above me mentioned adding BIONICLE references. I think this would be a terrible idea. Remember, if this is in theaters, most people watching are not going to be BIONICLE/HF wise. The references would be targeted at the minority of the audience. Most people would be confused, if affected at all.The voice actors ought not to be entirely replaced. Personally, I want Von Nebular, sorry, Von Nebula to make an appearence just so we can have Mark Hamill involved. Certain characters have poor voicing, though. Like Surge for example. As others above me have said, the HF characters must retain the focus. Otherwise, this thing might not meet expectations...

OMG Stormer and Von Ness are huge and the humans are so tiny. :blink:If it´s the second one I´m passing out. I´d take the first one a thousand times before that. :P Seriously though, I don´t see how it could become like the second option. That doesn´t even make sense.-Gata signoff.jpg

Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Okay I think we can all agree that this movie will be either one of two thingsOne, alien robots battle on earth, but with less Megan Fox.hf_transformers.pngTwo, GO GO HERO RANGERShf_powerrangers.pngSounds good if you ask me.

Those pictures are fantanstic! I like those pictures! They give me a thought about what the live action Hero Factory movie would look like! Edited by Lenny7092

I like Lego, Bionicle, and Hero Factory!:)

Okay I think we can all agree that this movie will be either one of two thingsOne, alien robots battle on earth, but with less Megan Fox.hf_transformers.pngTwo, GO GO HERO RANGERShf_powerrangers.pngSounds good if you ask me.

The second option would be hilarious. The first one might actually be good. Though I don't know if this is an either/or...they might do some combo of the two, or tell a Hero Factory story Princess Bride style to a little kid who is afraid of the dark or something...

:superfunny:you should make a banner of the bottom one, I'd use it

Visit www.BZPRPG.com to view my project of archiving BZPower's RPGs, and also access the BZPower Roleplaying Wiki

BZPRPG Profiles - Ghosts Of Bara Magna Profiles

Exo-Force RPG Profiles - Six Kingdoms: Apocalypse (Knichou, Berys, Arnex, The Taku, Exuze)

I've heard people say that HF would make a better movie than BIONICLE because it is a simple 'beat the bad guy' plot. While I agree it would be the easiest movie to create, it wouldn't be better. BIONICLE was rich in action AND story, so it would make the better movie.Universal should have made more BIONICLE movies. HF was better as an action series, the budget that has sounds insane.

daringsig.png

"Remember the Heart of NINJAGO."
I might eat you if you get too close >:3

Ugh, to me this sounds like a bad idea. With Bionicle, I think it would work, since the whole thing revolves around the story. From what I've seen of Hero Factory, it's just bad guys rising up, the Heroes upgrading their armor, they take the villains down, end of story. I hope the people who wrote the TV series DON'T write the script for this, because I have a feeling that the movie will be just a Transformers/Power Rangers-like mishmash with the Heroes cracking one-liners and stereotypical villains cackling very loudly (Von Nebula had a little character) if they do. I just want LEGO to create a film that will satisfy the adult fans as well, even though the HF line is geared towards kids. And I still want a Bionicle live action movie too.

I can't see how, exactly, people know it'll be bad from what's pretty much "hey, there's this idea we might do." I'm not saying it'll be great, not at all, but I mean, it does have that little bit of potential to be enjoyable, even if it's a sort of junk food movie. Sure, live action adaptations of toylines tend to flop, but hey, there's gotta be some exception to the rule, no?

Of course, it's probably going to be yonny fun.

I'm finding it hard to take some of the complaints seriously when people bring up that BIONICLE deserved this more.BIONICLE got four full-length direct-to-DVD movies. And that was pretty good for when it was produced. I seem to recall a lot of people did approach TLG seeking movie rights for BIONICLE. The reason many of them got rejected is because they wanted it to be in... wait for it... live-action! That whole aversion people have to humans in BIONICLE? That's the exact reason that this sort of thing never happened with BIONICLE, and it's possible that this Hero Factory thing will fail to pan out for the very same reason.Hero Factory's less rigid storyline will probably be to its advantage, though. Plenty of their promotions have involved similar crossovers, so having the Heroes come to Earth will be far from unprecedented.But another thing Hero Factory has to its advantage is timing. It's coming in the wake of the successful Transformers movie franchise, whereas BIONICLE's success had begun to wane long before those movies emerged. Timing, incidentally, is why a BIONICLE movie isn't making BZPower news now. The theme has ended for the foreseeable future, and thus is no longer relevant to a lot of kids-- or a lot of Hollywood producers.In general, though, I think BIONICLE's lower media profile than Hero Factory was in many ways because it was a thoroughly-planned-out story with huge aspirations. Hero Factory, as cool as it is, doesn't seem to have the same ambitious plans behind its story as BIONICLE did, and thus it's easier to write generic sci-fi action-adventure stories for it without having to fit them into the history of a universe with rigid, established rules. Epic sagas are good for a lot of things, but that's not the only kind of storytelling there is and certainly not the best type of storytelling for all things.

Thing is, a lot of us are disappointed (not really angry, just disappointed) that Hero Factory got a show and a theatrical movie instead of Bionicle, which many people were hoping would get both. And the latter, I assure you, would have been worth the wait. From what I can conclude from the article, one of the reasons it supposedly merits a film is because of Hero Factory's rich storyline. How is a 9 year epic battle between heroes and creatures from uncanny valley less rich than a story about robots arresting bad guys because they were bad meanie-mean-men?Also, the whole 'rigid rules' train of logic doesn't exactly work out. There are plenty of movies made from the Marvel and DC universes, and those have massive and long continuities that are even more complex and rigid than Bionicle ever was. Plus, Bionicle was gaining in popularity when the Transformers films came out, IMO, and it would eventually move to an entirely new planet while introducing alternate universes. There's plenty of open room for writing there. Though the live-action part wouldn't have worked that well.....perhaps.....But good luck anyway, HF fans. Maybe this film will be awesome.

:superfunny:you should make a banner of the bottom one, I'd use it
THOSE ARE AWESOME! MAKE A BANNER! XD

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

Heh, I actually predicted this last year, given all the toy movies that were being announced around that time. From the forum archive, April 2011:

But, given that so many toy movies have got deals recently, I'm calling it now:(drumroll please)Sometime in the next two years, one of the major studios will offer Lego a movie deal for either Bionicle or Hero Factory.Whether they accept the offer or not is another story altogether...

Then again, I also made a bunch of tongue-in-cheek predictions about a horrible live action/CGI hybrid Bionicle film involving a Matoran that speaks LOLcat, Onua being torn in half, and a camera that is far too fond of Gali's backside. Hopefully, those won't come true too...

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

Or are they going to make all of the characters human instead of robots?

Is there a problem with humanisations?=Is there a problem with attractive, well-dressed cyborg-ish things?

Tahu.png

i wanna be the very best

like no one ever was

to catch them is my real test

to train them is my cause

I'm finding it hard to take some of the complaints seriously when people bring up that BIONICLE deserved this more.BIONICLE got four full-length direct-to-DVD movies. And that was pretty good for when it was produced. I seem to recall a lot of people did approach TLG seeking movie rights for BIONICLE. The reason many of them got rejected is because they wanted it to be in... wait for it... live-action! That whole aversion people have to humans in BIONICLE? That's the exact reason that this sort of thing never happened with BIONICLE, and it's possible that this Hero Factory thing will fail to pan out for the very same reason.Hero Factory's less rigid storyline will probably be to its advantage, though. Plenty of their promotions have involved similar crossovers, so having the Heroes come to Earth will be far from unprecedented.But another thing Hero Factory has to its advantage is timing. It's coming in the wake of the successful Transformers movie franchise, whereas BIONICLE's success had begun to wane long before those movies emerged. Timing, incidentally, is why a BIONICLE movie isn't making BZPower news now. The theme has ended for the foreseeable future, and thus is no longer relevant to a lot of kids-- or a lot of Hollywood producers.In general, though, I think BIONICLE's lower media profile than Hero Factory was in many ways because it was a thoroughly-planned-out story with huge aspirations. Hero Factory, as cool as it is, doesn't seem to have the same ambitious plans behind its story as BIONICLE did, and thus it's easier to write generic sci-fi action-adventure stories for it without having to fit them into the history of a universe with rigid, established rules. Epic sagas are good for a lot of things, but that's not the only kind of storytelling there is and certainly not the best type of storytelling for all things.

Thing is, a lot of us are disappointed (not really angry, just disappointed) that Hero Factory got a show and a theatrical movie instead of Bionicle, which many people were hoping would get both. And the latter, I assure you, would have been worth the wait. From what I can conclude from the article, one of the reasons it supposedly merits a film is because of Hero Factory's rich storyline. How is a 9 year epic battle between heroes and creatures from uncanny valley less rich than a story about robots arresting bad guys because they were bad meanie-mean-men?Also, the whole 'rigid rules' train of logic doesn't exactly work out. There are plenty of movies made from the Marvel and DC universes, and those have massive and long continuities that are even more complex and rigid than Bionicle ever was. Plus, Bionicle was gaining in popularity when the Transformers films came out, IMO, and it would eventually move to an entirely new planet while introducing alternate universes. There's plenty of open room for writing there. Though the live-action part wouldn't have worked that well.....perhaps.....But good luck anyway, HF fans. Maybe this film will be awesome.
People seem to be treating the comment about Hero Factory's rich story as if it's being compared to BIONICLE. It's not-- given how poorly-researched the news article on this has been, chances are it's being compared to the products that adults tend to think of when they think of "LEGO", probably to reassure them that this is based on a property with some story background rather than being the start of another Battleship.The only reason Hero Factory gets more attention these days than BIONICLE is the obvious fact that Hero Factory is still a currently-running franchise and BIONICLE is not. If BIONICLE were still a relatively new and successful theme today, and TLG had been doing story-driven themes for eleven years, then it's quite possible that it would be getting a TV miniseries like Hero Factory, or even a theatrical film. But of course the issue of BIONICLE's story sanctity comes into play again-- Hero Factory has a loose story that allows for the occasional use of humans as characters or Earth as a setting, something TLG refused to allow in BIONICLE for many years.DC and Marvel Comics are a different story, and I wouldn't call them 'rigid' by any stretch of the imagination. Different writers have been re-imagining and putting their spin on those universes for decades. BIONICLE was different. TLG put forth a vigilant effort to keep everything moving in a single direction towards the long-anticipated revelation about the nature of the Matoran Universe-- and after that, towards Mata Nui's ultimate confrontation with Makuta. All of BIONICLE's story media were meant to build on each other, telling different parts of the same story. Compare most superhero movies, which may tell completely different stories from the comics or re-imagine stories from the comics in vastly different ways.Overall, it's not a matter of which franchise is more "deserving"-- it's a matter of which is more convenient in terms of its storytelling style and when it happened to come about. This is the main reason I think comparisons to BIONICLE in this discussion are silly.

Am i the only one who wants to see an overly realistic, transformers movie style, meltdown crash land in chernobyl?

No. People complain this would be too much like Transformers, but if it were really just that, then I would see it many times over just for the sheer visual awesomeness. Admittedly I haven't seen any of the Transformers movies, but I've seen all too many trailers and I have to admit that the CGI is impressive. I'd love to see HF in that style.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

People seem to be treating the comment about Hero Factory's rich story as if it's being compared to BIONICLE. It's not-- given how poorly-researched the news article on this has been, chances are it's being compared to the products that adults tend to think of when they think of "LEGO", probably to reassure them that this is based on a property with some story background rather than being the start of another Battleship.The only reason Hero Factory gets more attention these days than BIONICLE is the obvious fact that Hero Factory is still a currently-running franchise and BIONICLE is not. If BIONICLE were still a relatively new and successful theme today, and TLG had been doing story-driven themes for eleven years, then it's quite possible that it would be getting a TV miniseries like Hero Factory, or even a theatrical film. But of course the issue of BIONICLE's story sanctity comes into play again-- Hero Factory has a loose story that allows for the occasional use of humans as characters or Earth as a setting, something TLG refused to allow in BIONICLE for many years.DC and Marvel Comics are a different story, and I wouldn't call them 'rigid' by any stretch of the imagination. Different writers have been re-imagining and putting their spin on those universes for decades. BIONICLE was different. TLG put forth a vigilant effort to keep everything moving in a single direction towards the long-anticipated revelation about the nature of the Matoran Universe-- and after that, towards Mata Nui's ultimate confrontation with Makuta. All of BIONICLE's story media were meant to build on each other, telling different parts of the same story. Compare most superhero movies, which may tell completely different stories from the comics or re-imagine stories from the comics in vastly different ways.Overall, it's not a matter of which franchise is more "deserving"-- it's a matter of which is more convenient in terms of its storytelling style and when it happened to come about. This is the main reason I think comparisons to BIONICLE in this discussion are silly.

I agree with this post.

[size=4][color=#FF0000][color=#000000]Formerly known as ROTF Devastator[/color][/color][/size]
Kittiez sigpet made by Mr Nebby
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/vakama18/Stuff/shockwave_sig.jpg[/img][img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Nrdy/Kittiez/W1/tabby.png[/img]

Heh, I actually predicted this last year, given all the toy movies that were being announced around that time. From the forum archive, April 2011:

But, given that so many toy movies have got deals recently, I'm calling it now:(drumroll please)Sometime in the next two years, one of the major studios will offer Lego a movie deal for either Bionicle or Hero Factory.Whether they accept the offer or not is another story altogether...

Then again, I also made a bunch of tongue-in-cheek predictions about a horrible live action/CGI hybrid Bionicle film involving a Matoran that speaks LOLcat, Onua being torn in half, and a camera that is far too fond of Gali's backside. Hopefully, those won't come true too...
I want that LOLcat matoran.

No, no, no. We all know Bionicle's line has technically ended. It's not that. It's that it never had a theatrical release during its 9 years of storytelling, and a line only three years in the running suddenly has everything Bionicle did not. You simply cannot argue with that. That's why people are disappointed. And of course Bionicle and Hero Factory merit comparison. One is the successor of the other.Obviously, however, I understand that HF is easily transferrable to the films. I'm just pointing out collective disappointment.The whole reason DC and Marvel get re-imagined constantly is because things are far too complicated. Alternate universes galore, character X is a clone of character B who killed the alternate universe self of his villain, characters dying then somehow coming to life 10 issues later, the works. Also, time passes on, and the characters must be rebooted to fit modern times, lest they fall to the ashes of history. Iron Man, for instance, originally started as POW in the Vietnam War . Now he's one of the Iraq War. And don't even get me started on Transformers G1 continuity. But I digress. Edited by MakutaKlak

The Krika Show Season 2 

By live-action, I think they mean with real people like in the first few commercials. I can't picture them doing something where the heroes are really people in costumes.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

No, no, no. We all know Bionicle's line has technically ended. It's not that. It's that it never had a theatrical release during its 9 years of storytelling, and a line only three years in the running suddenly has everything Bionicle did not. You simply cannot argue with that. That's why people are disappointed. And of course Bionicle and Hero Factory merit comparison. One is the successor of the other.Obviously, however, I understand that HF is easily transferrable to the films. I'm just pointing out collective disappointment.The whole reason DC and Marvel get re-imagined constantly is because things are far too complicated. Alternate universes galore, character X is a clone of character B who killed the alternate universe self of his villain, characters dying then somehow coming to life 10 issues later, the works. Also, time passes on, and the characters must be rebooted to fit modern times, lest they fall to the ashes of history. Iron Man, for instance, originally started as POW in the Vietnam War . Now he's one of the Iraq War. And don't even get me started on Transformers G1 continuity. But I digress.

Well, see, that's part of the reason I think BIONICLE didn't get a theatrical release. TLG knew better than to make those kind of sacrifices with a story that they were trying to tell a certain way. BIONICLE, if anything, was complex. IMO, that's one of the reasons why it ended, but it's also one of the things that made it great while it lasted. Creating a story that intricate and complex just to sell a toyline is an extremely ambitious thing, and I think TLG did it well for as long as they could.And I think simplifying it too much would take away what made it unique in the first place. Hence why I'm extremely cynical about some people's claims that TLG could just make BIONICLE a simple, episodic storyline if they wanted to bring it back... after all, if they were going to do that, then why bother to bring it back at all?Look through this topic and see how many Hero Factory fans are worried this is going to be a huge disaster. If the potential for badness is recognized as so great even among people who like Hero Factory, then what would have made a theatrical release for BIONICLE such a great thing? Hero Factory was made with a certain amount of flexibility that BIONICLE lacked, for better or worse. And I'd have hated to see BIONICLE sully itself by sacrificing that clearly-focused, never-straying vision just so it could get in theaters.You say Hero Factory suddenly has everything BIONICLE didn't, but I say that's hogwash. BIONICLE had great story-driven online games, while Hero Factory has games that struggle to hold my attention for more than a few minutes (although to be fair I've been drifting away from video gaming in general for a long time now). BIONICLE had an amazing book series, while Hero Factory is getting its first actual novels this year, and who knows if those will even be any good? BIONICLE got four direct-to-DVD movies, while Hero Factory has gotten some TV specials that hardly even amount to a miniseries, and that many consider either mediocre or out-and-out bad. BIONICLE got console-based and handheld video games, while the closest thing Hero Factory has gotten to that is an iPhone version of one of their online games.Sure, there are some things Hero Factory has that BIONICLE didn't. It's been easier to custom-order Hero Factory figures using Design byME, Pick-A-Brick, and Hero Recon Team, even if only one of those services still exists. It's also easier to design Hero models electronically using LEGO Digital Designer and the online Hero Creators. And of course Hero Factory has an excellent and versatile new building system in the sets.But frankly, that's just because Hero Factory happened to be around at the time when TLG decided these sort of things would be practical. It's not like TLG decided "well, BIONICLE doesn't really deserve this, but Hero Factory does". Had BIONICLE been around and at the peak of its success when TLG was considering these things, they'd have surely implemented them in that theme instead. Just look at the earliest Hero Factory sets, which were pretty BIONICLE-like, and try and tell me TLG couldn't have switched to a new, ball-joint-based building system just as easily with BIONICLE as they did with Hero Factory. They were already going down that road with sets' increasing articulation for many years. It just wasn't until Hero Factory's first year of sets was designed that they were ready to roll that system out in the next wave.In this way, complaining that BIONICLE deserved the things that its successor is now getting is like complaining that America's founding fathers deserved the Internet more than today's generation does. We could debate about such a thing from now until doomsday, but it's a moot point because such a thing simply couldn't have happened, and if the opportunity had been there then nothing would have stopped that from happening.Finally, in conclusion, it's worth mentioning that TLG is doing exactly the same thing with Hero Factory as they always did with BIONICLE: trying new things. It's just that the things they're trying with Hero Factory are newer than the things they tried with BIONICLE because Hero Factory is a newer theme. If Hero Factory had begun in 2001, lasted until 2010, and been replaced with this radical new theme called BIONICLE, then BIONICLE would have been getting everything Hero Factory fans thought the earlier theme had "deserved". That's not unfair in any way; it's just progress. Edited by Aanchir: Rachira of Time

Hm. Interesting. Very interesting... LEGO (or whoever is producing the thing) has two choices, the way I see it:

• [*]Have people lolloping around in Hero suits,[*]Or, more realistically, use real-life backgrounds and support cast, but have motion-capture CGI for the main cast.

Let's hope it's more Transformers and less Power Rangers.The top-notch Hollywood-type stuff sounds like it could work, but, and this is becoming a topic cliché now, it has a lot of room to fail. Better this does than BIONICLE, though.

-L- to the -K-

Sometimes, I look at my desk, and think, "What am I doing with my life?"

Then, I go back to my videogames.

I used to be known as 'Gresh's Thornax...Ouchy!!!', before I realised what a silly name it was.

Other previous names include Lihkan435 and Chip Biscuit.

By live-action, I think they mean with real people like in the first few commercials. I can't picture them doing something where the heroes are really people in costumes.

I agree. When I heard about this, the first commercials came into my mind. Unfortunately, that isn't a good thing.I do not think the Heroes will be in costumes, that was outdated long ago. :lol:

daringsig.png

I agree. When I heard about this, the first commercials came into my mind. Unfortunately, that isn't a good thing.I do not think the Heroes will be in costumes, that was outdated long ago. :lol:
I'm a bit confused why you say that it unfortunately isn't a good thing that this movie will be like the commercials. I think that it would work out well if they are already saying that it will be "live-action".

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I'm a bit confused why you say that it unfortunately isn't a good thing that this movie will be like the commercials. I think that it would work out well if they are already saying that it will be "live-action".
Kids+Acting= No profit.The actors in the commercials were horrible. I rather have HF in its own world.

daringsig.png

Kids+Acting= No profit.The actors in the commercials were horrible. I rather have HF in its own world.
The thing is, it doesn't have to be kids necessarily, and Hollywood actors are different than average Danish children. This shows that the Hero Factory not only helps kids but also adults. ^_^Also, like said by Aanchir earlier, Hero Factory has had things take place and mentioned several times about the heroes visiting Earth, so it's not necessarily that it is out of Hero Factory's world. I guess we'll have to wait for some updates about this to know what it'll consist of.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

The thing is, it doesn't have to be kids necessarily, and Hollywood actors are different than average Danish children. This shows that the Hero Factory not only helps kids but also adults. ^_^Also, like said by Aanchir earlier, Hero Factory has had things take place and mentioned several times about the heroes visiting Earth, so it's not necessarily that it is out of Hero Factory's world. I guess we'll have to wait for some updates about this to know what it'll consist of.
I knew that they referenced Earth and such, and I know Hollywood actors are better than random commercial children. ...But really, how well can one expect this to be executed with all the details we have now. It isn't exactly what sounds like a perfect quality film.

daringsig.png

I'm so Adding the first image to my signature.But to be on topic. I think a we should wait for some shreds of a storyline before we judge if a Live action Hero factory movie would be a good thing Edited by Oxymoronaphobia

:smiletol: I am Takanui Nuva. The Toa Nuva of Light :smiletol:
11.gifI also go by Baron Von Brickenstein 11.gif

AFOL, Gamer and overall nice person.

I knew that they referenced Earth and such, and I know Hollywood actors are better than random commercial children. ...But really, how well can one expect this to be executed with all the details we have now. It isn't exactly what sounds like a perfect quality film.

Well, considering that we know next to nothing about the movie other than it's an idea being pitched about Hero Factory, and that it's live-action, it's pretty hard to gauge how good or bad it can be.

plop

I hate to be negative, but the first thing that came to mind when I read "live action" is... and I hate to be the one to bring it up... but Power Rangers. Guys in cheesy robot suits.I suppose we can be positive by making this the baseline, and hopefully they'll pleasantly surprise us by doing something better (motion capture maybe??? like Gollum?). Pretty much anything would be better.But it's disturbing that they didn't immediately say something like "Don't worry, it won't be like Power Rangers" to assure us of its quality. Although that "adaptation of" makes me wonder if they're going to turn the heroes into genetically engineered humanoids with armor or something, which I suppose could be cool, but would be very dubious for the canon. Or maybe even Data-esque "robots". :shrugs: At least they've got us talking about it anyways, rather than just going, "eh, okay" and guaranteeing a reaction like TLR's. >_>Now I just wanna know if Deeks will be playing Furno. :P

That's a bad thing?

No, no, no. We all know Bionicle's line has technically ended. It's not that. It's that it never had a theatrical release during its 9 years of storytelling, and a line only three years in the running suddenly has everything Bionicle did not. You simply cannot argue with that. That's why people are disappointed. And of course Bionicle and Hero Factory merit comparison. One is the successor of the other.Obviously, however, I understand that HF is easily transferrable to the films. I'm just pointing out collective disappointment.The whole reason DC and Marvel get re-imagined constantly is because things are far too complicated. Alternate universes galore, character X is a clone of character B who killed the alternate universe self of his villain, characters dying then somehow coming to life 10 issues later, the works. Also, time passes on, and the characters must be rebooted to fit modern times, lest they fall to the ashes of history. Iron Man, for instance, originally started as POW in the Vietnam War . Now he's one of the Iraq War. And don't even get me started on Transformers G1 continuity. But I digress.

Well, see, that's part of the reason I think BIONICLE didn't get a theatrical release. TLG knew better than to make those kind of sacrifices with a story that they were trying to tell a certain way. BIONICLE, if anything, was complex. IMO, that's one of the reasons why it ended, but it's also one of the things that made it great while it lasted. Creating a story that intricate and complex just to sell a toyline is an extremely ambitious thing, and I think TLG did it well for as long as they could.And I think simplifying it too much would take away what made it unique in the first place. Hence why I'm extremely cynical about some people's claims that TLG could just make BIONICLE a simple, episodic storyline if they wanted to bring it back... after all, if they were going to do that, then why bother to bring it back at all?Look through this topic and see how many Hero Factory fans are worried this is going to be a huge disaster. If the potential for badness is recognized as so great even among people who like Hero Factory, then what would have made a theatrical release for BIONICLE such a great thing? Hero Factory was made with a certain amount of flexibility that BIONICLE lacked, for better or worse. And I'd have hated to see BIONICLE sully itself by sacrificing that clearly-focused, never-straying vision just so it could get in theaters.You say Hero Factory suddenly has everything BIONICLE didn't, but I say that's hogwash. BIONICLE had great story-driven online games, while Hero Factory has games that struggle to hold my attention for more than a few minutes (although to be fair I've been drifting away from video gaming in general for a long time now). BIONICLE had an amazing book series, while Hero Factory is getting its first actual novels this year, and who knows if those will even be any good? BIONICLE got four direct-to-DVD movies, while Hero Factory has gotten some TV specials that hardly even amount to a miniseries, and that many consider either mediocre or out-and-out bad. BIONICLE got console-based and handheld video games, while the closest thing Hero Factory has gotten to that is an iPhone version of one of their online games.Sure, there are some things Hero Factory has that BIONICLE didn't. It's been easier to custom-order Hero Factory figures using Design byME, Pick-A-Brick, and Hero Recon Team, even if only one of those services still exists. It's also easier to design Hero models electronically using LEGO Digital Designer and the online Hero Creators. And of course Hero Factory has an excellent and versatile new building system in the sets.But frankly, that's just because Hero Factory happened to be around at the time when TLG decided these sort of things would be practical. It's not like TLG decided "well, BIONICLE doesn't really deserve this, but Hero Factory does". Had BIONICLE been around and at the peak of its success when TLG was considering these things, they'd have surely implemented them in that theme instead. Just look at the earliest Hero Factory sets, which were pretty BIONICLE-like, and try and tell me TLG couldn't have switched to a new, ball-joint-based building system just as easily with BIONICLE as they did with Hero Factory. They were already going down that road with sets' increasing articulation for many years. It just wasn't until Hero Factory's first year of sets was designed that they were ready to roll that system out in the next wave.In this way, complaining that BIONICLE deserved the things that its successor is now getting is like complaining that America's founding fathers deserved the Internet more than today's generation does. We could debate about such a thing from now until doomsday, but it's a moot point because such a thing simply couldn't have happened, and if the opportunity had been there then nothing would have stopped that from happening.Finally, in conclusion, it's worth mentioning that TLG is doing exactly the same thing with Hero Factory as they always did with BIONICLE: trying new things. It's just that the things they're trying with Hero Factory are newer than the things they tried with BIONICLE because Hero Factory is a newer theme. If Hero Factory had begun in 2001, lasted until 2010, and been replaced with this radical new theme called BIONICLE, then BIONICLE would have been getting everything Hero Factory fans thought the earlier theme had "deserved". That's not unfair in any way; it's just progress.
The hogwash I was speaking of was a TV show, film, and Recon. I see you addressed the later though, and I agree with the part about the movie. Still hoping the HF movie is great.Sure, you have good points, but I still feel rather disappointed. You're right about the progress part, but I think it would have been great to see all this cool stuff being applied to something that was already great in of itself. Call me crazy.Oh, and just in case someone comes on here calling people like me plastic extremists, this did not ruin my life. Disappointment=/=extreme angry-man tactics. Edited by MakutaKlak

The Krika Show Season 2 

Well, see, that's part of the reason I think BIONICLE didn't get a theatrical release. TLG knew better than to make those kind of sacrifices with a story that they were trying to tell a certain way. BIONICLE, if anything, was complex. IMO, that's one of the reasons why it ended, but it's also one of the things that made it great while it lasted. Creating a story that intricate and complex just to sell a toyline is an extremely ambitious thing, and I think TLG did it well for as long as they could.And I think simplifying it too much would take away what made it unique in the first place. Hence why I'm extremely cynical about some people's claims that TLG could just make BIONICLE a simple, episodic storyline if they wanted to bring it back... after all, if they were going to do that, then why bother to bring it back at all?Look through this topic and see how many Hero Factory fans are worried this is going to be a huge disaster. If the potential for badness is recognized as so great even among people who like Hero Factory, then what would have made a theatrical release for BIONICLE such a great thing? Hero Factory was made with a certain amount of flexibility that BIONICLE lacked, for better or worse. And I'd have hated to see BIONICLE sully itself by sacrificing that clearly-focused, never-straying vision just so it could get in theaters.You say Hero Factory suddenly has everything BIONICLE didn't, but I say that's hogwash. BIONICLE had great story-driven online games, while Hero Factory has games that struggle to hold my attention for more than a few minutes (although to be fair I've been drifting away from video gaming in general for a long time now). BIONICLE had an amazing book series, while Hero Factory is getting its first actual novels this year, and who knows if those will even be any good? BIONICLE got four direct-to-DVD movies, while Hero Factory has gotten some TV specials that hardly even amount to a miniseries, and that many consider either mediocre or out-and-out bad. BIONICLE got console-based and handheld video games, while the closest thing Hero Factory has gotten to that is an iPhone version of one of their online games.Sure, there are some things Hero Factory has that BIONICLE didn't. It's been easier to custom-order Hero Factory figures using Design byME, Pick-A-Brick, and Hero Recon Team, even if only one of those services still exists. It's also easier to design Hero models electronically using LEGO Digital Designer and the online Hero Creators. And of course Hero Factory has an excellent and versatile new building system in the sets.But frankly, that's just because Hero Factory happened to be around at the time when TLG decided these sort of things would be practical. It's not like TLG decided "well, BIONICLE doesn't really deserve this, but Hero Factory does". Had BIONICLE been around and at the peak of its success when TLG was considering these things, they'd have surely implemented them in that theme instead. Just look at the earliest Hero Factory sets, which were pretty BIONICLE-like, and try and tell me TLG couldn't have switched to a new, ball-joint-based building system just as easily with BIONICLE as they did with Hero Factory. They were already going down that road with sets' increasing articulation for many years. It just wasn't until Hero Factory's first year of sets was designed that they were ready to roll that system out in the next wave.In this way, complaining that BIONICLE deserved the things that its successor is now getting is like complaining that America's founding fathers deserved the Internet more than today's generation does. We could debate about such a thing from now until doomsday, but it's a moot point because such a thing simply couldn't have happened, and if the opportunity had been there then nothing would have stopped that from happening.Finally, in conclusion, it's worth mentioning that TLG is doing exactly the same thing with Hero Factory as they always did with BIONICLE: trying new things. It's just that the things they're trying with Hero Factory are newer than the things they tried with BIONICLE because Hero Factory is a newer theme. If Hero Factory had begun in 2001, lasted until 2010, and been replaced with this radical new theme called BIONICLE, then BIONICLE would have been getting everything Hero Factory fans thought the earlier theme had "deserved". That's not unfair in any way; it's just progress.
I agree with pretty much everything you have to say, but I am a little confused about what you mean by what you mean by Bionicle not working in an episodic format. Do you mean by episodic as in each year represented by just one movie? In which case I agree with you. Though there are examples of continuity and story heavy movie series (i.e. Lord of the Rings with four movies, Star Wars with six, and Harry Potter with eight), pretty much all of those movies had huge established fanbases, while a Bionicle movie would have to be focused on attracting new fans. But if what you meant is that it could not work as an episodic TV series, then I would have to disagree with you. I could easily see a TV series working out quite well where a season would last as long as a year or two of the story.

PSN ID: darthlego
Gamertag: SPARTAN J46
Steam name: jumpy46

Likewise. I actually think that Bionicle is much better suited to TV than film.I think what Aanchir meant is that Hero Factory's story can be more easily broken down into film or episode-sized chunks- that is, you don't have to have seen last year's story to understand this year's- there is very little continuity and you can jump on the bandwagon at any time. Bionicle really requires you to get very involved in the mythology in order to understand anything, and you'd have to skip a lot of detail in order to make it into a film. With HF, you'd actually be adding and elaborating details to develop the story, which is much easier to do.

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I agree with pretty much everything you have to say, but I am a little confused about what you mean by what you mean by Bionicle not working in an episodic format. Do you mean by episodic as in each year represented by just one movie? In which case I agree with you. Though there are examples of continuity and story heavy movie series (i.e. Lord of the Rings with four movies, Star Wars with six, and Harry Potter with eight), pretty much all of those movies had huge established fanbases, while a Bionicle movie would have to be focused on attracting new fans. But if what you meant is that it could not work as an episodic TV series, then I would have to disagree with you. I could easily see a TV series working out quite well where a season would last as long as a year or two of the story.

What Aanchir means is that HF is told in several episodes which are largely independent from the previous ones, whereas with BIONICLE every story year built on the previous ones.-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I still think this might work like a Halo: Reach type movie. Not exactly like the heros dying one at a time, but they stay alive. If they really make it in the story that humans will do suits, there best bet for older kids is kinda the way Halo sparton armor worked.~Silver the Hedgehog~

Silver is my favorite Sonic character. Deal with it,

Go ahead clicky.

poster.png

I still think this might work like a Halo: Reach type movie. Not exactly like the heros dying one at a time, but they stay alive. If they really make it in the story that humans will do suits, there best bet for older kids is kinda the way Halo sparton armor worked.~Silver the Hedgehog~

I agree with this. It would make for an awesome HF movie, IMO.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

There's an idea. Another idea could be that some point during the movie, when X evil comes to Earth or wherever and does battle with X Heroes, a human character could don a suit of Hero Factory-Styled armor that like the Halo Spartan armor gives the bearer superhuman strength and speed, so said human character can carry out an important task to stop the villain while X Heroes distract X villain. Don't know where the idea came from, but I thought it was interesting.I read somewhere on here about references to Bionicle? Perhaps instead there could be references to online material, like HF Radio, or references to past episodes(more likely, I think)? Something to think about.

From what I've seen of Hero Factory, it's just bad guys rising up, the Heroes upgrading their armor, they take the villains down, end of story. I hope the people who wrote the TV series DON'T write the script for this

Have you actually watched all the TV series? I've watched most of it, and it's far more than just upgrading armor to solve the problems. Ultimately at its core of storytelling HF uses the exact same formula as Bionicle; using your brains to solve problems. This is what was always talked about when I first joined here back in 2003 as what Bionicle story was all about, and HF is really no different.Do they do upgrades? Sure, but that can be about using your brains too. They analyze what they know and don't know about threats before going on the mission and select armor and weapons based on what they think will work best for that. It's not a copout when you think about it. And more importantly, things never go exactly according to plan; they always have to come up with new strategies as they go, and use their tools in ways beyond what you'd immediately expect to win. Same as Bionicle. :)Also Bionicle used transformation for the same purpose as upgrades, it just wasn't named after that. :P

I hate to be negative, but the first thing that came to mind when I read "live action" is... and I hate to be the one to bring it up... but Power Rangers. Guys in cheesy robot suits.I suppose we can be positive by making this the baseline, and hopefully they'll pleasantly surprise us by doing something better (motion capture maybe??? like Gollum?). Pretty much anything would be better.But it's disturbing that they didn't immediately say something like "Don't worry, it won't be like Power Rangers" to assure us of its quality. Although that "adaptation of" makes me wonder if they're going to turn the heroes into genetically engineered humanoids with armor or something, which I suppose could be cool, but would be very dubious for the canon. Or maybe even Data-esque "robots". :shrugs: At least they've got us talking about it anyways, rather than just going, "eh, okay" and guaranteeing a reaction like TLR's. >_>Now I just wanna know if Deeks will be playing Furno. :P

That's a bad thing?
Deeks playing Furno? I love Deeks (whatever his real name is :P), so no. :)But seriously I assume you meant Power Rangers. It's not a bad thing per se, it's a taste thing. I personally detest all clips of Power Rangers I've seen, though I admit I haven't watched even one episode to know for sure. But it all looks really, really bad... and I think the vast majority of people share my taste on that. Most people would greatly prefer something of higher quality than guys leaping and cartwheeling around in obviously cardboard robot suits. :P (And I'm not saying I expect LEGO to sink to that low... it's just the first thing that popped in my head when I read that it'd be live-action. :shrugs:)Now if people cartwheeling wildly around in cardboard robot suits pleases you, then to each his own. :) (That's how taste works. ^_^ It's just hard for me to imagine enjoying that much. :shrugs:)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Power Rangers type movie= Little kidsHalo:Reach type movie= Older kids (Recommended)I really want all the cheesey jokes dropped. In fact, making a movie like this, I got another idea to make it more darker:, and burning pAvengers Type movie+Halo:Reach type movie= Grossing and burning your wallet.A Avengers type movie would be a best bet. The only thing from Reach would be how the armor is worn, and how it affects the heros. The rest can follow an Avengers type styling.

Silver is my favorite Sonic character. Deal with it,

Go ahead clicky.

poster.png