Hero Factory Movie In The Works

I guess if you want to make a live-action movie off a LEGO line, using the one that has very little story works. I cabn't wait to see how inevitably awful this will be due to the pretty much required aspect of the 'robot war' genre - humans. I really expect this to be a Transformers knockoff, which would mean good box office numbers but horrible reviews.I do admit, I loved the 2007 Transformers movie and that had humans, but Transformers has always included humans as an important story element. Hero Factory hasn't. There is potential for this to be a solid movie if they made it a fun epic space warfare movie that doesn't take itself too seriously, but I really doubt LEGO would allow it to be such a movie due to their violence policy - I mean, we never got to see the Toa really use their elemental powers to directly attack enemies in the BIONICLE movies. I see no reason why LEGO would somehow view explosive weapons any differently. I doubt this will work because, putting aside the many, many shortcomings of Hero Factory, LEGO simply won't allow it to be a movie with epic space fights and I doubt they'd put too many jokes teens or adults would find funny. This is doomed for failure, unfortunately, although it will probably do respectably when compared to other kid's adventure movies.-TN05

Edited by Thor (TN05)

Well, knowing lego, if they even accept live action then it will definately look like a little kids movie. I wanna see something worth it.

Because all of their other live-action, theatrical movies have looked like "little kids movies".Oh wait! There haven't been ANY live-action or theatrical LEGO movies. There's one in production, which we only know the barest details of, but that's it. It's surprising how many people jump to the conclusion that any given movie LEGO makes will be terrible before we know anything about it whatsoever.Additionally, people seem to be taking this way too seriously, If a Hero Factory movie is made, it won't be Avatar. It probably won't even be Transformers. Hero Factory has never been an extremely serious story, and I doubt LEGO or the movie producers would treat it as such. I'm expecting an action movie with buddy-cop levels of seriousness, like [the alien cop movie starring Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones, which is for some reason filtered on BZP]. So expect jokes, and expect sillyness. It frankly wouldn't be Hero Factory if those weren't there. Edited by Lyichir

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

WELL WHY THE BUCK NOW?!Sorry bout that, just kinda ticked about them doing it with a set line with like barely any story, with the exception of nebula, it's all an idea and never really fleshed out, mainly because the story is told through the show. BIONICLE was around for nearly a decade, but had four CGI movies and never had a live action movie or at least a movie where they look human (or not like the sets) because Lego wanted it to be just like the product they sold, but potentially now we have a CGI movie with a not fully fleshed out story? I'm confused.But at least this could happen, I'll see it if it does to see if this can redeem Hero Factory, I'm wanting hero factory to be a great theme like Bionicle and hopefully this movie can help.What I would like to see is this:-Make it darker-More dangerous (like have bullets and not puny lasers)-Make the villains evil looking and truly scary (like meltdown, witchdoctor etc if they are included)-

Edited by Zacax

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

Well, knowing lego, if they even accept live action then it will definately look like a little kids movie. I wanna see something worth it.

-Make it darker-More dangerous (like have bullets and not puny lasers)-Make the villains evil looking and truly scary (like meltdown, witchdoctor etc if they are included)

Grim darkness is no substitute for good writing and good film-making. A movie's "worth" won't come from a PG-13 tag (which would really just alienate the little kids who actually buy Hero Factory figures). Saying that the movie needs guns, darkness, and a tone inappropriate for children is basically what Michael Bay did with Transformers. And we all know how well that turned out...Toy Story 3 was rated G, and college seniors loved it. It wasn't horrifying or anything, but it was aimed for all ages.Will an HF movie be Toy Story or Transformers? No. I'm just saying that the answer to not liking a line isn't to make it darker and edgier.~ BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

WELL WHY THE BUCK NOW?!Sorry bout that, just kinda ticked about them doing it with a set line with like barely any story, with the exception of nebula, it's all an idea and never really fleshed out, mainly because the story is told through the show. BIONICLE was around for nearly a decade, but had four CGI movies and never had a live action movie or at least a movie where they look human (or not like the sets) because Lego wanted it to be just like the product they sold, but potentially now we have a CGI movie with a not fully fleshed out story? I'm confused.But at least this could happen, I'll see it if it does to see if this can redeem Hero Factory, I'm wanting hero factory to be a great theme like Bionicle and hopefully this movie can help.What I would like to see is this:-Make it darker-More dangerous (like have bullets and not puny lasers)-Make the villains evil looking and truly scary (like meltdown, witchdoctor etc if they are included)-

LEGO rejected every single live-action BIONICLE movie specifically because humans were not supposed to exist in the BIONICLE universe. That issue doesn't occur with Hero Factory, which had humans involved from the get-go.That said, your ideas for how it "should be" sound awful. Hero Factory is not meant to be dark, or mature. It's a kids' toy that has robot cops arresting robot bad guys. Movies don't have to be "edgy" to be good, and I can't think of how a darker, edgier Hero Factory movie could be anything but bad. Many otherwise good movies have been ruined by taking themselves too seriously.

LEGO rejected every single live-action BIONICLE movie specifically because humans were not supposed to exist in the BIONICLE universe. That issue doesn't occur with Hero Factory, which had humans involved from the get-go.That said, your ideas for how it "should be" sound awful. Hero Factory is not meant to be dark, or mature. It's a kids' toy that has robot cops arresting robot bad guys. Movies don't have to be "edgy" to be good, and I can't think of how a darker, edgier Hero Factory movie could be anything but bad. Many otherwise good movies have been ruined by taking themselves too seriously.
Well I'm sorry for being a bio fan. Also I said try rejected ideas movies where they didn't look like the sets, I wasn't just saying humans, I know Bionicle has no humans in the lore. I'm saying that with enemies like witch doctor or meltdown, they need to look terrifying, however not I the poor of a scary Tim button movie. Yes I know Hero Factory is meant for kids, and the humanity thig does work for it, but try could have at least tried a live action movie or even a cgi film kinda like 9, where no humans are evolved. Even though I said make it darker, I meant like make it more like ergent stuff, make it like that! Because the way the story has depicted ergen things like the quaza crisis on te jungle planet or breakout where a disappointment to me cause those were great ideas that became rubbish and not fleshed out.Again I know herofavtory is for kids, and I know about transformers and toy story, how toy story 3 was amazing with gore and stuff and that stuff and transformers which had that stuff, which made it better in my opinion (though I see no need for the content or swearing). What I'm trying to say is that it's gonna be hard to repair a set line that has a terrible story, hopefully this movie can repair the damage, but mind you that if the villains are THAT dangerous, a small amount of blood could shed, but who knows. Edited by Zacax

"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become,"-C.S. Lewis

I have to agree with Lyichir. Adding blood to a movie doesn´t make it better at all. It´s just that many good (or at least not bad) action movies do have blood, but that´s not the reason why they are good.-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

Well I'm sorry for being a bio fan. Also I said try rejected ideas movies where they didn't look like the sets, I wasn't just saying humans, I know Bionicle has no humans in the lore. I'm saying that with enemies like witch doctor or meltdown, they need to look terrifying, however not I the poor of a scary Tim button movie. Yes I know Hero Factory is meant for kids, and the humanity thig does work for it, but try could have at least tried a live action movie or even a cgi film kinda like 9, where no humans are evolved. Even though I said make it darker, I meant like make it more like ergent stuff, make it like that! Because the way the story has depicted ergen things like the quaza crisis on te jungle planet or breakout where a disappointment to me cause those were great ideas that became rubbish and not fleshed out.Again I know herofavtory is for kids, and I know about transformers and toy story, how toy story 3 was amazing with gore and stuff and that stuff and transformers which had that stuff, which made it better in my opinion (though I see no need for the content or swearing). What I'm trying to say is that it's gonna be hard to repair a set line that has a terrible story, hopefully this movie can repair the damage, but mind you that if the villains are THAT dangerous, a small amount of blood could shed, but who knows.
Not sure how you feel Meltdown and Witch Doctor should have looked scarier-- they were some of the scariest-looking villains in the franchise, IMO. If the giant skull monster with an evil glowing staff wasn't enough to scare you, I don't think there's anything TLG could do that you'd be happy with, because none of Hero Factory's villains are going to end up looking like towering eldritch abominations unless they happen to be based on a set with that appearance.As far as urgency and suspense are concerned, I think a theatrical release will have a far better chance of pulling that off than 22-44 minute TV episodes. Not to say that the TV episodes couldn't be better, but a feature film won't necessarily present the same kind of challenge in trying to tell a suspenseful story.

First Transformers, then Battleship, now Hero Factory. What's next, a Hungry Hungry Hippos live-action movie?

http://www.bzpower.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/sarcastic.gif hm... that would be interesting...Anyways,I think little kids would go psycho over that stuff, even if it isn't good.they target younger kids with a popular kids' theme, and make it action-y enough for the parents or guardians to enjoy it too.I think it could have a decent turnout, if it was CGI, and if they had George Lucas direct it.

Okay, Bonesii, I have absolutely no idea what version of the Hero Factory TV show you've been tuning in to, because it sure ain't anything like what the rest of us have been. The Heroes (I'll be generous and say "almost") never use their brains to solve problems. In fact, what ends up happening most of the time is that they get upgrades that don't do anything and are just present to sell toys (why did Bulk even have wrist blades if he never used them?), then go on in, shooting at the presumed "villains" (who, typically, don't seem to be participating in a whole heck of a lot of immorality in the first place) with laser guns that do absolutely zero damage, Maybe at the end they beat the bad guys with some deux ex machina that comes out of nowhere and might even be used to promote another toy (Rocka XL, the villains run out of ammunition, etc). The end. Admittably, Bionicle definitely veered away from creative thinking and more towards the Hero Factory formula near the end of its run, too... Now, here's why we want a PG-13. The problem is, with a PG (or Hero Factory's current kiddy-friendly state, anyway), nothing remotely dangerous ever happens. All the weapons don't do anything. All the villains are incompetent. The tension is nonexistent, the stakes are at rock bottom, and it's BORING. I want to care about what happens to our heroes (which would be a heck of a lot easier to do if they made them a little more likable, but that's a different matter). I want to be concerned about whether they're going to make it through or not. I want to be at least a little involved with this movie, and in an action/adventure themed movie, a little violence is sort of key here. And right now, if it weren't so loud all the time, I could sleep through Hero Factory. Also, with a PG-13, they'd likely stop slathering it with endless @#$% one-liners... Besides, and I don't know if you guys live in particularly sheltered communities, or what, but from what I can tell, I would say at least 50% of Hero Factory's target audience has seen movies, etc, with PG-13 level content. You think no kids saw The Avengers? Plus, Lego never shies away from marketing TONS of (profitable) PG-13 stuff to kids. Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Prince of Persia, Pirates of the Caribbean, the list goes on and on.

Edited by Toa Zaz

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

Okay, Bonesii, I have absolutely no idea what version of the Hero Factory TV show you've been tuning in to, because it sure ain't anything like what the rest of us have been.

How so?Edit: To your edit, but you haven't given specifics. What are examples where they didn't use their brains to solve problems, in the actual TV shows? Except about the non-dangerous weapons. In general I agree there, although I can think of many examples of things the bad guys did that were dangerous, such as nearly destroying a planet. But that's pretty much just a matter of this being a LEGO story. Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Well I'm sorry for being a bio fan. Also I said try rejected ideas movies where they didn't look like the sets, I wasn't just saying humans, I know Bionicle has no humans in the lore. I'm saying that with enemies like witch doctor or meltdown, they need to look terrifying, however not I the poor of a scary Tim button movie. Yes I know Hero Factory is meant for kids, and the humanity thig does work for it, but try could have at least tried a live action movie or even a cgi film kinda like 9, where no humans are evolved. Even though I said make it darker, I meant like make it more like ergent stuff, make it like that! Because the way the story has depicted ergen things like the quaza crisis on te jungle planet or breakout where a disappointment to me cause those were great ideas that became rubbish and not fleshed out.Again I know herofavtory is for kids, and I know about transformers and toy story, how toy story 3 was amazing with gore and stuff and that stuff and transformers which had that stuff, which made it better in my opinion (though I see no need for the content or swearing). What I'm trying to say is that it's gonna be hard to repair a set line that has a terrible story, hopefully this movie can repair the damage, but mind you that if the villains are THAT dangerous, a small amount of blood could shed, but who knows.
This is exactly what I think would look good. We need a movie that has a better story, and some more action. Maybe some comedy, but not tooo much. I actually enjoyed transformers for how they got comedy into the action. Swearing doesn't have to be in the movie, and blood is ok if it as a little, but only blood if humans were involved. It could at least have some mild langauge.

Silver is my favorite Sonic character. Deal with it,

Go ahead clicky.

poster.png

IMO, I sure hope they don't pull a Transformers and have the humor be another minstrel show...

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

This is exactly what I think would look good. We need a movie that has a better story, and some more action. Maybe some comedy, but not tooo much. I actually enjoyed transformers for how they got comedy into the action. Swearing doesn't have to be in the movie, and blood is ok if it as a little, but only blood if humans were involved. It could at least have some mild langauge.
At least someone agrees.For those asking about why meltdown and witch doctor should be scary-ER, is because their designs weren't what they should look like, well I guess witch doctor with the spikes was okay but that wasnt scary, unless the mask he had had more detail, meltdown should look, melted down. His face wasn't enough, it was rocky not gloppy, and none of the designs on his armor showed cracks, toxic waste or anything representing his powers and name, with the exception of the buckets of nuclear waste on his shoulders and the tentacle, and I get it was a toy, but they could have made him look melted and deformed with the armor in the show like toxic reaper.

First Transformers, then Battleship, now Hero Factory. What's next, a Hungry Hungry Hippos live-action movie?

Actually, I believe CandyLand and Stretch Armstrong are next....*Pokerface*Really, though, I honestly kinda would like to see how some alternate take on the HF premise would end up, something like Ultimate Marvel to the main universe. I heard the idea pitched that heroes were just people in armor suits against villains in armor suits. Yeah, it diverts from the norm, but it could work, perhaps.

plop

Am i the only one who wants to see an overly realistic, transformers movie style, meltdown crash land in chernobyl?

No. People complain this would be too much like Transformers, but if it were really just that, then I would see it many times over just for the sheer visual awesomeness. Admittedly I haven't seen any of the Transformers movies, but I've seen all too many trailers and I have to admit that the CGI is impressive. I'd love to see HF in that style.
As soon as I saw the article, I pictured Thunder being shot at by the police and/or military while he is oblivious. :) There can be some degree of violence in this movie, if the Tv show's opening sequence (which is composed of clips of explosions and energy blasts) is any indication. Edited by Baron Von Nebula

Read my comedy, about the Hero Factory villains watching a television channel produced by our Spherus Magnan friends!

The Bionicle Channel

"I expect that when I write my next entry in this chronicle, I will be writing as uncontested ruler of the Brotherhood."

-Certainty, my Memoirs of the Dead entry

Okay, Bonesii, I have absolutely no idea what version of the Hero Factory TV show you've been tuning in to, because it sure ain't anything like what the rest of us have been. The Heroes (I'll be generous and say "almost") never use their brains to solve problems. In fact, what ends up happening most of the time is that they get upgrades that don't do anything and are just present to sell toys (why did Bulk even have wrist blades if he never used them?), then go on in, shooting at the presumed "villains" (who, typically, don't seem to be participating in a whole heck of a lot of immorality in the first place) with laser guns that do absolutely zero damage, Maybe at the end they beat the bad guys with some deux ex machina that comes out of nowhere and might even be used to promote another toy (Rocka XL, the villains run out of ammunition, etc). The end. Admittably, Bionicle definitely veered away from creative thinking and more towards the Hero Factory formula near the end of its run, too... Now, here's why we want a PG-13. The problem is, with a PG (or Hero Factory's current kiddy-friendly state, anyway), nothing remotely dangerous ever happens. All the weapons don't do anything. All the villains are incompetent. The tension is nonexistent, the stakes are at rock bottom, and it's BORING. I want to care about what happens to our heroes (which would be a heck of a lot easier to do if they made them a little more likable, but that's a different matter). I want to be concerned about whether they're going to make it through or not. I want to be at least a little involved with this movie, and in an action/adventure themed movie, a little violence is sort of key here. And right now, if it weren't so loud all the time, I could sleep through Hero Factory. Also, with a PG-13, they'd likely stop slathering it with endless @#$% one-liners... Besides, and I don't know if you guys live in particularly sheltered communities, or what, but from what I can tell, I would say at least 50% of Hero Factory's target audience has seen movies, etc, with PG-13 level content. You think no kids saw The Avengers? Plus, Lego never shies away from marketing TONS of (profitable) PG-13 stuff to kids. Star Wars, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Prince of Persia, Pirates of the Caribbean, the list goes on and on.

The lack of danger and suspense in Hero Factory isn't because of the PG rating, it's because of bad writing. Many films have managed to convey danger and violence without a PG-13 rating. Luke lost a hand in The Empire Strikes Back. Wall-E had the main character damaged near the point of "death". And since Hero Factory probably won't feature excessive blood, gore, or language (even if it does include humans), it could easily accomplish the same thing. And PG-13 doesn't in any way prevent bad one-liners. In fact, it could easily make them worse. The last thing I'd want to see is Furno made into John McClane.None of us live in the "sheltered world" you're suggesting, and I'm sure a lot of kids don't either. But many of their parents want them to, and for the 6- to 13-year-olds who comprise at least two-thirds of the toy's target audience, they'll usually be the ones buying the tickets. Raising the age of the target audience probably wouldn't be that successful anyway, because unlike Transformers or G.I. Joe, Hero Factory has not been around long enough for its original child fanbase to age into adults. And LEGO wants to maintain their family-friendly image.A PG-13 rating will in no way save this movie, nor does a PG rating condemn it to failure. Good writing, acting, and directing are what this movie needs, and those are not connected to rating at all.

Lychir, are you saying Star Wars was not PG-13? I really have no idea, but Zaz seemed to imply it was.Anywho, Zaz, since you began your edited post with saying the heroes almost never use their brains to solve problems, perhaps you didn't see my edit -- can you give specific examples of when they don't do this, and how that is most of the time? I'm trying to think of even a few examples of them not using their brains to solve problems, and nothing's coming to mind. Also, even with upgrades, that isn't necessarily a lack of brains; it takes intelligence to design upgrades, but I can see how it can seem otherwise (really, though, given that they're robots, it would be foolish not to upgrade them as they saw fit). You gave some examples of things you see as flaws, but I'd like examples relevant to your "thesis" that they usually don't use their brains.(Of course it's not literally "brains" but yeah. :P)Also, what villains in HF were not villainous in any way? Or at least not in enough to warrant heroes coming to the rescue? I'm recalling villains stealing things, risking destroying things, etc.

Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

and I know about transformers and toy story, how toy story 3 was amazing with gore and stuff

Saying that the movie needs guns, darkness, and a tone inappropriate for children is basically what Michael Bay did with Transformers. And we all know how well that turned out...

Wait, what? Am I living in some sort of alternate universe where Toy Story had violence and Transformers flopped?!Anyway, I think this might be interesting. I've never been a big fan of Hero Factory (although to be honest I haven't seen any of the TV show) so this sort of movie spotlight might be good for it.It also might get dropped and all this speculation will be pointless. Edited by Visaru

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

Out of all that I have said, I'm going to see it if it can be redeemed as a god storyline set theme.When it started I was like, "wow!" ten I was like, "this stinks!" then when 3.0 came out I was like, "eh..." and hen breakout, I was thinking, "finally! A good idea for a storyline!" but then, "what the heck?! Its stupid! The only good part is that Hero factory plans were stolen! God!"I'm really wanting this to be a good theme, but it has to have a gold story to help set its tone!

Instead of a PG-13 movie, how about it would be not-rated at all. This way no one has to argue about it. The didn't rate it for TLR, and don't say, "we all know how that turned out.

They literally can't do that. The whole idea is to have a Hero Factory movie with a theatrical release. Movies can really only go without ratings if they're direct-to-DVD, at least in the U.S. Otherwise, the whole rating system would be pointless, as theaters couldn't use them to self-regulate.Besides, "not rated" from my experience carries the connotations that there's content too outrageous to risk showing the MPAA. I don't think parents would exactly spring for that.

Lychir, are you saying Star Wars was not PG-13? I really have no idea, but Zaz seemed to imply it was...

Revenge of the Sith was the first one to get a PG-13 rating. Looking into it more, however, The Empire Strikes Back is probably a bad example, since that was released in 1980 and the PG-13 rating didn't debut until 1984, with the release of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.

Can anyone verify that this is a credible news outlet we're getting this from? I've never heard of the "Holywood Reporter" before this, and the obvious errors contained therein make me question the article's reliability.

Well, it would only make sense for something called "The Hollywood Reporter" to know what´s going on in the Universal Studios in Hollywood. :P I think the news is pretty reliable.-Gata signoff.jpg Edited by Gatanui

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

and I know about transformers and toy story, how toy story 3 was amazing with gore and stuff

Saying that the movie needs guns, darkness, and a tone inappropriate for children is basically what Michael Bay did with Transformers. And we all know how well that turned out...

Wait, what? Am I living in some sort of alternate universe where Toy Story had violence and Transformers flopped?!
It didn't flop financially. Transformers was just a pretty bad movie (trilogy); there's nothing more to it, really. I have no idea why anyone thinks that Toy Story 3 had gore. My argument is that it was a great film regardless of viewer's age even though it was still G-rated. (By Transformers, I mean that entire Michael Bay trilogy. The first movie wasn't that bad, but the rest just wallowed in violence and sex, forsaking quality.)I still hold that adding "mild language" or gore will NEVER make a movie good. Those two sound like quick substitutes for good writing used to appeal to the most basic, crude, and prurient interests of a fundamentally childish audience.@fishers64: It seems legitimate to me.~ BioGioEdit: Inaccurate comment struck from the record. Edited by BioGio

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

I have to seen toy story 3, I know what it's like. I didn't mention gore for it, it was a typo, stupid phone...! The transformer movie series was awesome in my opinion, the reason was because of the story, animation and not the content like the sex stuff a cursing.

Edited by Zacax

I agree with whoever said HF is the same thing over and over (bad guys come, heroes upgrade their armor, stop the bad guys) but it's that way with just about anything. Not really worth arguing about. If you don't like Hero Factory or the movie, don't watch it - simple as that.

For just the movie, it really isn't that simple; if someone doesn't watch it, they won't know whether they like it. :) And I think people are simply saying they hope it will be quality, for LEGO's sake, etc. Nothing wrong with that. :)If you were to assume the movie would be like the TV show, and don't like the show, then that might work, but we really have no idea if that's a fair assumption. What it comes down to is that we know next to nothing about this.

Wait, what? Am I living in some sort of alternate universe where Toy Story had violence and Transformers flopped?!
It didn't flop financially. Transformers was just a pretty bad movie (trilogy); there's nothing more to it, really. I have no idea why anyone thinks that Toy Story 3 had gore. My argument is that it was a great film regardless of viewer's age even though it was still G-rated. (By Transformers, I mean that entire Michael Bay trilogy. The first movie wasn't that bad, but the rest just wallowed in violence and sex, forsaking quality.)I still hold that adding "mild language" or gore will NEVER make a movie good. Those two sound like quick substitutes for good writing used to appeal to the most basic, crude, and prurient interests of a fundamentally childish audience.@fishers64: It seems legitimate to me.~ BioGioEdit: Inaccurate comment struck from the record.
To your first sentence, "bad" is a subjective term. IMO the first one was extremely good. The problem for me, at least, was that the second one was the exact same plot, with a few trivial differences, and so I stopped watching after that. But the point is, my personal reaction, and yours, are just that -- others' personal reactions might be different. I've seen posts, comments, etc. across the web both acting like it's a given that it was awesome, and a given that it was horrible. The only things the reactions have in common usually is that they all assume everybody shares their personal tastes lol.I agree with your second paragraph wholeheartedly. Some posts in here have come across as saying they should basically just make the movie inappropriate and that would somehow fix all problems. Maybe that's not really how they meant it though. :P But what I would say is that "fantasy violence" or "intense action" are pretty much demanded by today's kids, and those often do warrant PG-13 ratings, for example.

BioGio, if an action movie attempts to create suspense or a sense of danger at any point (which is obviously a given), then, unless the violence is brought to such extremes that it is considered unrealistic by audiences and not threatening (Quentin Tarantino, etc.), then violence to a PG-13 or R level will ALWAYS make the movie better. If there's no risk, audiences DON'T CARE. It's that simple. Now, if that's all there is to a movie, then it doesn't work and the movie has other issues (unless it's intended to be an exploitation movie) but I think Hero Factory woulkd like to at least attempt a story. Also, PG-13 really doesn't neccesarily (or very often) warrant a high level of violence at all (some of the recent super hero movies were relatively tame). You guys seem to associate anything above a PG with a grindhouse movie or something.

Well I'm sorry for being a bio fan.

I'm ashamed this has been brought up again. I'd thought even the most severe HF bashers had retired the title of "true BIONICLE fan." Everyone on BZPower who enjoys discussing BIONICLE, using its ideas in any way, or in general remembering the toys and stories, is a true fan of BIONICLE. That doesn't change, regardless of what other interests the fan in question has. A BZPer who enjoys BIONICLE isn't any less a BIONICLE fan for enjoying Hero Factory. It's not necessary to compare and contrast them in such a negative light.Now, I'll concede that HF's story is indeed not on the same level as BIONICLE's, to put it lightly (though I was often less than impressed with BIONICLE's story, as well). At times, HF is overloaded with corny one-liners, bland recycled plots, villains who are difficult to fear, and heroes who are difficult to root for. I, too, will find this movie difficult to watch if its story is anything like the TV show's.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Hey I said I'm a bio fan, does that truly change anything? Yea I don't like hero factory, heck I use to bash about it last year, but know I just tolerate the fact that it exists, I don't hate it. I said I'm sorry for being a bio Dan because there seemed to be mainly hero factory fans on here, and I felt like the only one who didn't.

BioGio, if an action movie attempts to create suspense or a sense of danger at any point (which is obviously a given), then, unless the violence is brought to such extremes that it is considered unrealistic by audiences and not threatening (Quentin Tarantino, etc.), then violence to a PG-13 or R level will ALWAYS make the movie better. If there's no risk, audiences DON'T CARE. It's that simple. Now, if that's all there is to a movie, then it doesn't work and the movie has other issues (unless it's intended to be an exploitation movie) but I think Hero Factory woulkd like to at least attempt a story. Also, PG-13 really doesn't neccesarily (or very often) warrant a high level of violence at all (some of the recent super hero movies were relatively tame). You guys seem to associate anything above a PG with a grindhouse movie or something.

I don't have anything against PG-13 movies, and if I were a parent I would probably even let my kids watch it if they were younger if I was okay with the content and I felt they had proven they could handle it. But there's an inherent issue with marketing a movie based on a product meant for 5 to 16 year olds to less than half of that age range. Not all parents are going to think the way you do, and movie marketing involves making sure your product appeals to the widest possible audience. This can mean making concessions to people like Bible-thumping midwesterners or West Coast moral guardians.But lowering the rating doesn't have to be a concession. Fantasy violence can be achieved without upping that age rating. Some superhero movies do it just fine, like the first Spider-Man movie, which got away with conveying death and danger without resorting to extreme gore, foul-language, or any of those other things that bump a movie up to PG-13. Hero Factory doesn't need anything worse than that.

Hey I said I'm a bio fan, does that truly change anything? Yea I don't like hero factory, heck I use to bash about it last year, but know I just tolerate the fact that it exists, I don't hate it. I said I'm sorry for being a bio Dan because there seemed to be mainly hero factory fans on here, and I felt like the only one who didn't.

The problem is you said "sorry for being a bio fan," assuming the other person wasn't one just because they like Hero Factory. It's a false dichotomy. You should have said "sorry, I just don't like Hero Factory," which would have been more straightforward and honest.

Sorry guys for the flame war I could or did start.

If there's an inherent issue with marketing that sort of thing to a young demographic, then it sure doesn't seem to bother the companies doing it, which include Lego.