What Exactly Are The Difference Between Stone And Earth Elements?

well, it might seem like a dumb question, but i've been thinking about this for a while, since both earth and stone seems to be very similar in a way to me, what are the differences between them both, like how is each used differently?@tekula oh u actually had me going there for a second lol.Edit:So I;m guessing his topic has been discussed before, oh well, I didn't really feel like starting looking for one and I was kinda confused, i just need a bit more explaination, i got my answer now, thanks everyone.

Edited by Kv195
  • Upvote 1

Ghost_in_the_Shell_Sig_by_aose.jpg

"And where does the newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite."

This question has been covered before, although not recently, here's a link to a topic that answered it pretty well. bonesiii posted this:

The simple answer is particle size.To answer Muzillu's question, for example, a nova blast of Earth would make Earth radiate from that point, something like a landslide. But a Stone nova blast would either make a single huge stone encase everything in an area, or perhaps make many boulders or the like. Earth's particles are very small, though they can be clumped like a snowball, while Stone's particles are larger.But yes, the two are very similar.To answer another point someone raised, Onu-Koro's caves are considered to be mainly in tightly clumped earth, with veins of rock here and there inside it. And Po-Koro is in a big rock wall. If the presence of sand was the determiner, then Ga-Koro could be considered the village of Earth because its gate was on a sandy beach, or Ta-Koro could be the village of Rock because it was a fortress made of rock. So it can't be that simple.An easy way to tell the difference there is to remember that Onua digs in Earth (not in solid stone), and the Onu- types prefer the dark of caves to open sunlight. Also, Pohatu kicks big rocks, and Po- types have natural strength to lift big rocks. :)

In brief: Earth is dirt, mud, and soil (and thus decayed plant matter in addition to stone); stone is actual, completely inorganic rock. (Remember that anything can be called a particle--called a macroscopic particle--rather than just molecules and atoms. So bones and I aren't saying that soil has smaller molecules than stone--in some cases, it may or may not--but that the things being controlled are smaller. For Earth, even though that which is controlled is smaller, there's often a lot more of it.)~ BioGio
  • Upvote 1

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

It's simple, really.The earth element is a sort of "vampire" element while the stone element is more conventional to the regular elements in the way they feed off of energy.You see, most matoran gather their energy from other rahi through their kanohi. The earth element, however, absorbs energy from other matoran. Because of this, the earth element has been cast deep underground away from many of the others so they do not drain their food supply completely. You see, if they were allowed to roam free the casualties of matoran would drastically increase. Luckily they have adapted to conserve their power and only use it when need be in strong bursts (hence why strength is associated with their element as well). This explains why Onu matoran do not normally show themselves in daylight (see above) and also explains why the archives existed in Metru Nui; they needed something to attract other matoran to their area. This would be perfect to lure in scholars and teachers (mostly ga and ko-matoran, however all matoran would probably visit the archives at some point such as ta-matoran making mask deliveries or le-matoran dropping off a new shipment of rahi for the archives). Ever notice how Onua is always calm, collected and understanding? He has to be. It keeps his character approachable and generally liked. If he were, say, as hot-headed as tahu other toa and matoran might flee him and then his power levels would suffer. It's better for him to keep to the shadows and chime in where needed to help resolve conflict and keep the team unified. It's for his survival. Other than that, though, the elements are more or less the same. You might be told something crazy like the difference deals with particle size or some other nonsense, but those are just illogical conspiracies bent on keeping the true nature of the earth element a secret as to prevent mass-panic and racism from arising through the other elements. And that, dear friends, is the true difference between Earth and Stone. Edited by Tekulo: Toa of Gales
  • Upvote 3

Executive Vice President of Tomato Throwing

Wow, I didnt know that! I've always just assumed thta stone is rocks and boulders while earth is more like small particles and dirt.

Tekulo was just kidding: He has something of a penchant for such grand sarcasm. Your original assumption was correct.Further--and this is just a small nitpick about that otherwise spectacular joke--, strength is associated with Matoran of Stone and Iron--not Onu-Matoran. (That association between Earth and strength is actually just a product of Onua's use of a Pakari).~ BioGio
  • Upvote 2

"You're a scientist? The proposal you make violates parsimony; it introduces extra unknowns without proof for them. One might as well say unicorns power it."

To add to the earlier quote of me, which mostly isn't directly about this, there are three particle-size-based elements, although the middle one is not in the MU; Earth is the smallest, Sand in between that, and Stone is anything larger (of nonmetallic natural minerals). Easy as pie. Pie with three different particle sizes anyways. :PAlso I LOLed @ Tekulo. :lol:

Edited by bonesiii
  • Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

I've always viewed it that Earth something that would seem like a semisolid on a mass scale-it's kind of an intermediate. There can be clumps there, but there can also be small particles, and Earth is basically a coagulated mass of most of the solid elements that have gotten to the point where they can't be completely controlled by the other Toa anymore.Those with the element of Earth are literally the recyclers of the other elements, in my mind.Also, this reminds me of the good ol' days.When we would restart this basic topic every time the one before it died.

• Upvote 1

profiles i guess

i'm a south american giant otter now

You know, every time this topic dies, someone makes another. This has been discussed for years, and the answer keeps getting told. (sorry if that sounds bitter, I just see this a lot)Toa of Stone can manipulate, control, and create stone. They can create large fists of stone, break or create stone, and they can find weakness's in stones and stone made structures. Toa of Stone are usually heavier than other Toa, and are characterized as being generally stronger and tougher.Toa of Earth can manipulate, control, and create earth. The can create large fists of earth, break it down, create it, and they can create earthquakes or quakes. They are characterized as being very strong and heavy-set in comparison to others. Toa of Earth we have seen so far are usually adapted to seeing in the dark, sometimes to the point where seeing above ground is much harder on their eyes. Toa of Earth, set-wise, tend to be hunched over more/shorter.Earth and Stone are easy enough to separate. Earth is dirt, mud, the ground basically. Toa of Earth can control it, make it, the works. Same with Po-Toa, except with stone. Throw some dirt at someone, then throw a stone. Different? It's like that, basically.

• Upvote 1

dat_logo_newer.png

qs56078.jpg
 My Brickshelf, please don't copy!

... :t: :b: :m_o: :c:...

Looking for shiny Regirock, Articuno, and Virizion!

(Can trade most any legendary for them!)

My 3DS friend list is full, sorry!

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that controllers of Earth control things more along the line of dirt and mud, rather than rocks. Toa of Stone, however control rock, stone, and can find stone's weak points. As T.B.O.C said "Throw some dirt at someone, then throw a stone. Different? It's like that, basically.(excuse my old school quote, I'm new at bzpower, so I don't know how absolutely everything works yet.)

Edited by darkslizer

The_Brotherhood_of_Makuta_by_Arzeron.jpg

Comply. Create. Consume.

I've always thought of them this way - Stone - "Rocks"/solid soil material, that kinda stuffEarth - All the loose, more moist soil-like stuff. Basically, all the stuff beneath your feet.Hope this helps. :)

• Upvote 1

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

• 3 weeks later...
Wow, I didnt know that! I've always just assumed thta stone is rocks and boulders while earth is more like small particles and dirt.
Tekulo was just kidding: He has something of a penchant for such grand sarcasm. Your original assumption was correct.Further--and this is just a small nitpick about that otherwise spectacular joke--, strength is associated with Matoran of Stone and Iron--not Onu-Matoran. (That association between Earth and strength is actually just a product of Onua's use of a Pakari).~ BioGio
I beg to differ...

"But nothing before could equal Onua Nuva seizing her, lifting her high into the air, and slamming her down with every bit of force his own power and the Mask of Strength could afford him. Even for the raw might of a Makuta, the world spun."

• Upvote 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Kopakamidak, that quote doesn't prove he has an Onu-Matoran strength trait. What gave that attack the oomph was the Mask of Strength. Any Toa using a Mask of Strength plus whatever natural strength they have is going to be mighty.Onua does have more strength than the average Toa personally, but he was artificially made, differently from other Onu-Toa, so that doesn't really prove anything about the element in general. And Pohatu is still naturally stronger than Onua (sans Pakari).And just in case it's not clear, Greg confirmed that the Onu-Matoran's trait is good night vision, not strength.

• Upvote 1

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

The seeming overlap between Earth and Stone always drove me crazy, until I talked it over with my father. His answer to this dilemma was: "Sure, earth and stone are incredibly similar... until you try to dig through stone, or make a statue out of earth." At this point I brought up the "who controls Sand?" question, which made him think for a moment. He ultimately decided, "Think of it this way. A gardener is digging up his lawn. It's easy enough to separate it into 'earth' and 'stone.' Now, is the gardener going to bother separating sand from earth? No, it's just not really worth it. So I'd say Earth has control over Sand. Gravel, however, would be sifted out and tossed over with the rocks. So if it's large enough to be considered a pebble or gravel, then Stone has control over it."Now what bothers me is the seeming overlap between Fire and Plasma, which even my father admitted was a bit silly. Still, I can see how they might be separate, and I have a few ideas for a Toa of Plasma in a future fanfic...

• Upvote 2
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Now what bothers me is the seeming overlap between Fire and Plasma, which even my father admitted was a bit silly. Still, I can see how they might be separate, and I have a few ideas for a Toa of Plasma in a future fanfic...
Fire is just normal combustion, while plasma is an ionized gas, it's only hot because a lot of energy is needed to stay in that state of matter.
  • Upvote 1

aouROFb.png

Now what bothers me is the seeming overlap between Fire and Plasma, which even my father admitted was a bit silly.
I will agree it's at least one bit silly. :P It did come about rather indirectly; Plasma was picked as one of the 2003 Kal powers, and later some Kal powers were being canonized as elements, and for whatever reason Greg decided to include Plasma, but not Vacuum. This does make some sense because normal Lehvak were the only ones with a non-elemental power, so Levhak-Kal's Vacuum could be too, while all five other normal Bohrok had elements. Thus the other five Kal powers became elements too.Probably if these things were planned out better as elements, a more distinct power might have been given Lehvak Kal, like Lava which would then be less similar to Fire as an element. But they weren't.Still, there IS a clear distinction, and it does make sense in the Bionicle universe; Fire is better for some tasks while Plasma is better for others. :)
  • Upvote 1

Still, there IS a clear distinction, and it does make sense in the Bionicle universe; Fire is better for some tasks while Plasma is better for others. :)
I would rather have some specific examples. :P I have seen Fire used in a myriad of ways; it's highly useful. Plasma I'm not so sure about... it's never been shown to do much but incinerate things (although I have a fiendish plan for ONE creative use in tangent with another element in an upcoming fanfic).
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Still, there IS a clear distinction, and it does make sense in the Bionicle universe; Fire is better for some tasks while Plasma is better for others. :)
I would rather have some specific examples. :P I have seen Fire used in a myriad of ways; it's highly useful. Plasma I'm not so sure about... it's never been shown to do much but incinerate things (although I have a fiendish plan for ONE creative use in tangent with another element in an upcoming fanfic).
Well, that's among the things being discussed in the Elemental confusion topic I started. This one is about Stone & Earth so let's get back on topic here. :) I gave some examples in that othwr topic; bring it up there if you want more. :)

Earth is soil and bedrock, Stone is all other rock and no soil. It's that simple.
No, bedrock is Stone.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Keep in mind that lightsabers are superheated plasma contained by forcefields, I think that should be noted.
  • Upvote 1

BZPRPG Profiles

Nuparu-Ferron-Mar-Zelvin-Wiremu-Farzan-Mako-Krex-Tamachan-???

Akiri Nuparu Posts:

1. 2. ...

Keep in mind that lightsabers are superheated plasma contained by forcefields, I think that should be noted.
Please do not post in topics that have been inactive for thirty days or more.Revived topic trapped on the Red Star.
  • Upvote 1