Why Mnolg

Indigogeek

MNOLG has always been one of the most iconic bionicle games of it's time. But why? Why did you like MNOLG? Did you like the comedy? The info? Personally, I like the spin off on the 2001 story by concentrating of the tohunga and turaga. Post your experiences and reasons here.

Tu2d6W7.jpg

It was the first one, and the first one always sticks in people's heads. And the fact that, for its time it was pioneering new flash animation tech. Also, I think that the Matoran were a little easier for kids to relate to, especially as presented in the game. Little powerless beings who are doing the best they can relates better than powered-up Toa.

It gave greater depth into the story than any other Lego theme I'd ever seen before. Of course, there was other media to show off the Toa, their masks, and the Rahi they fought against. But the MNOLG showed off the island, protrayed the Matoran's culture and their struggle, and then included bits on all the Toa at the end of each level. And the first person POV worked well too, and the gameplay made it feel more like you were actually exploring the new and exotic locations, rather than just playing through a Bionicle themed game. (Even though, at the time of its original release, loading times could take forever, which is why I didn't finish the game until midway through 2002.):music:

The atmosphere was wonderful, and it was a good deal larger and more interesting than most other tie-in games at the time. It had sort of a Myst vibe to it, is probably the best way to put it.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Well there's a lot of reasons I liked MNOLG.

• [*]It was the main story medium in 2001 for conveying the locations and culture of Mata Nui, rather than just describing the characters and creatures that existed as sets and the adventures they had. In other words, if you were a fan in 2001, there was no better way to learn about the universe of these characters than from the MNOLG.[*]The experience also felt like you were really learning things, uncovering new secrets about the island as you explored it. And yet there were always more mysteries compelling you to keep playing in search of answers.[*]It was an immersive experience. The first-person perspective made it actually feel like you were exploring the island of Mata Nui and meeting these unique characters yourself.[*]The graphical style of the MNOLG had plenty of detail, but at the same time was bright, colorful, and cartoony. One wonders if the number of BIONICLE fans who have gone on to become fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic might have something to do with their love for these kind of colorful, expressive character designs.[*]Humor was indeed a factor. It was great that it truly felt like a lighthearted adventure rather than something extremely dark, gloomy, or dangerous. You met characters with all sorts of ideosyncrasies.[*]Lots of replay value. A lot of extremely story-driven adventure or role-playing games become boring to replay, largely because the story tidbits you discover are no longer new and yet you still have to work just as much for them as you did originally. But in the case of the MNOLG, playing through the story never felt like "work", except in the case of some of the more challenging puzzles and of course waiting through the slow loading times the game had when originally released.

Overall, the MNOLG was perhaps the best way possible for the new BIONICLE theme to be introduced. I think it's a shame that we have never quite gotten another online game that can match the experiences I had playing the MNOLG. Even the MNOLGII suffered from game-breaking glitches, tedious gameplay elements, a rigid-feeling third-person perspective, and much less expressive character and background designs.I understand that the MNOLG was almost custom-tailored to provide an experience that might not have worked as well for other story years which put more focus on the main characters' quests than on their interactions with the Matoran. And it certainly would be hard to fit into the mission-based story of the Hero Factory theme. But I think it would still be nice if TLG could somehow create more online games that feel less like a challenge and more like an adventure.

The storyline IMO is intriguing. So is the artwork. My love of bionicle contributes too. It has this like, vibe to it like no other of it's kind. It's replayable too. That's a lot to ask from a mini desktop game, but sure enough, MNLOG has it all.

Edited by Gravity Caiox

It was just the right balance of the right sort of comedy, and epic seriousness. I dunno how to put it into words exactly. :P It just had "it", whereas a lot of other story either tried too hard to be comedic or serious or whatever and didn't feel quite as honest to the world.Maybe it's also the simple yet rich graphics that makes it come across well. I've often noticed throughout various franchises and media that there's somehow a higher quality in story and enjoyment when the graphics aren't as good, but when the same franchises etc. advance to better graphics it seems to become more about "hey, look how awesome our graphics are". I've seen a lot of people saying similar things. But I dunno, I like to think good graphics can also be done with good story (Lord of the Rings...) so overall I'd say there's no easy answer. It just had "it." :P

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Ooh, also, the rahi and tohunga and devices seen around mata nui during the game are not sets. This truly shows what you can do with the pieces, and makes the island look so natural.

As far as I recall, most of the Rahi were sets, other than lightfish... And most of the Tohunga could be made or approximated with the right mask-pack, though not always body/feet color. But I know whatcha mean and I agree. :)

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Ooh, also, the rahi and tohunga and devices seen around mata nui during the game are not sets. This truly shows what you can do with the pieces, and makes the island look so natural.

As far as I recall, most of the Rahi were sets, other than lightfish... And most of the Tohunga could be made or approximated with the right mask-pack, though not always body/feet color. But I know whatcha mean and I agree. :)
The Mahi were not sets, nor were the generic fish in the East Garden.

The Mahi were not sets, nor were the generic fish in the East Garden.
I know what Bonesii means though. Most were combiners, or part of the master builder set.

Tu2d6W7.jpg

When I first played, I actually thought that we were playing as a human (Probably yourself) exploring the island. It wasn't 'til the end until I realized we were playing as Takua. Or that Takua even existed. I still remember that I actually felt like I was exploring a new world when I played so long ago. Like I was actually seeing what the people of this mysterious, new island did, and that I was exploring and becoming a part of their culture. It was one of the most immersive games I've ever played, maybe even the most immersive. Looking back, I realize it's a huge reason why I loved Bionicle so much as a kid.

When I first played, I actually thought that we were playing as a human (Probably yourself) exploring the island. It wasn't 'til the end until I realized we were playing as Takua. Or that Takua even existed. I still remember that I actually felt like I was exploring a new world when I played so long ago. Like I was actually seeing what the people of this mysterious, new island did, and that I was exploring and becoming a part of their culture. It was one of the most immersive games I've ever played, maybe even the most immersive. Looking back, I realize it's a huge reason why I loved Bionicle so much as a kid.

I agree. The first time I played it, I knew I was a character in the bionicle storyline, but I didn't know who I was. This gave a new look to the game, and it made me feel like I was finding out who I was as I travelled the game. Even now when I play it I never really relize i'm takua until the end,

Tu2d6W7.jpg

I agree. The first time I played it, I knew I was a character in the bionicle storyline, but I didn't know who I was. This gave a new look to the game, and it made me feel like I was finding out who I was as I travelled the game. Even now when I play it I never really relize i'm takua until the end,
I really liked that feature of the game, but it led to a goofy error on my part when I first played it. I went to Ga-Koro first to help the Matoran there instead of going to Ta-Koro (this was in 2006 :)). It was a considerable surprise to me at the end to learn I was a Ta-Matoran!But alas, I think there's a good deal to that first person thing - it kind of made you feel along with the Matoran. I'll admit to being frightened of Nui-Rama in the Le-Koro game, and the last battle in Kini-Nui - there was a time when I was losing and losing, and I felt sick and horrible at letting everybody down, a feeling Takua might have had had something similar happened. This creeped me out a bit. :)

I loved the atmosphere that the sound and music created in both MNOLG 1 and 2, they fit the setting so well. I really like the similarities to Myst as well, how you just have this huge place that's yours to explore. To me, the storyline and the other Matoran came second to exploration and discovery, which is interesting given that you play as the two Chroniclers in the MNOLG games.

I really liked that feature of the game, but it led to a goofy error on my part when I first played it. I went to Ga-Koro first to help the Matoran there instead of going to Ta-Koro (this was in 2006 :)). It was a considerable surprise to me at the end to learn I was a Ta-Matoran!

I went to Ga-Koro first as well, since I only found the game after most areas had been finished, and when looking around the beach Macku stood there waving for me.I agree with what has been said: The MNOG stands out to be because of its atmosphere, the characters, the sense of mystery and all the interesting things to do and discover. It's a very well-made game, and Templar Studios has the right to be proud of themselves.

I just noticed something interesting about the game: each time you play it, the quarry key that can be found in Po-Koro unlocks a different statue. I always thought it was just the one for Tahu's sculpture, but this time around, I got Lewa's.

• Upvote 1

I just noticed something interesting about the game: each time you play it, the quarry key that can be found in Po-Koro unlocks a different statue. I always thought it was just the one for Tahu's sculpture, but this time around, I got Lewa's.

Yea, that happens. Wow, I was digging through my closet, and I found this: All these drawings I made in kindergarden with writing (with backwards s's) of mnolg, and what to do. I was playing early, how cute. :D
  • Upvote 1

Tu2d6W7.jpg

1. the graphics are wonderful.2. between the sound structure and the scenes, it really feels like exploring an island.3. all the cool little details like matoran houses with their various belongings.4. tohunga. enough said.5. the atmosphere.6. the good mixture of action and peace.7. characters and rahi.8. lastly, how Makuta is portrayed.

• Upvote 1

leechfoam.gif "Copy and paste me into your sig! The shadows command you!"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

tarakavabanner.jpg

#tumaislove,tumaislife

I don´t know. When I take a close look at MNOG II, I realize it´s a better game from a technical standpoint (when overlooking all the bugs which have been fixed on the offline version), but for some reason MNOG always manages to win me over. I love MNOG II as well, but it´s something else I like about it. What I like about MNOG II are the extensive locations with secret paths and items. What I like about MNOG is the athmosphere itself. Especially the beach. Those background sounds, the canister on the beach. The music in Ga-Koro. Partly it´s because of fond childhood memories, partly it´s because it´s simply a beautiful game with beautiful graphics, music and sounds. And don´t forget the great cutscenes I missed from MNOG II. MNOG will always hold a special place in my heart which will never be replaced by anything and I hope LEGO will make a comparable game sometime in the future. No 3D graphics, just simple and plain 2D cartoon style. :rolleyes:-Gata signoff.jpg

- Gata

signoffLarge.png

Please don't use my avatar or signature without permission, thanks! ^_^

I had an interesting experience with the MNOG. I remember loading it up and thinking it was so awesome. Unfortunately, I didn't make it very far because my internet was terrible and it took way too long to load. So a few months ago, I found an offline version, and sought to finish what I started 10 years earlier. So I finished it. Without nostalgia or rose-tinted glasses or the perspective of an eight-year old, I evaluated it fairly. And, with a decade of gaming experience under my belt, I can testify that it is just a flat-out great game. But I think what really drew people in was the sense of mystery throughout. MNOG really brought the world of Bionicle to life, and made you want to learn more about it. It's easy to see how so many kids got into Bionicle because of MNOG.-don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

I've said more in the past about the game's merits than I care to repeat, so I'll talk about what else made it special - its context.For many fans who joined in later years and hold, say, the Inika or Mistika close to their hearts, it could easily be that the MNOLG is simply a piece of Bionicle history, like Mask of Light or the various books - something examined and discussed, and readily available online, and special simply for its tangible qualities and historical signficance. Being introduced to the wonder and mystery of Mata Nui as it was being introduced, meeting heroic or quirky or strange characters for the very first time, picking up on every little hint and detail...you had to have experienced these things in 2001 to really understand what it was that made MNOLG special beyond its aesthetic and atmospheric brilliance. That wasn't possible in the years thereafter, not only because Bionicle itself was established, but also because fans became accustomed to organised Wikis compiling vast amounts of information, Greg answering hundreds of questions, and regular spoilers and sneak peeks. None of this was happening in 2001. The MNOLG and some comics were all there was. The Bionicle fandom depended on it. Back then, MNOLG was more than a game, it was a way of life.The fact that it was free didn't hurt either :P

I've said more in the past about the game's merits than I care to repeat, so I'll talk about what else made it special - its context.For many fans who joined in later years and hold, say, the Inika or Mistika close to their hearts, it could easily be that the MNOLG is simply a piece of Bionicle history, like Mask of Light or the various books - something examined and discussed, and readily available online, and special simply for its tangible qualities and historical signficance. Being introduced to the wonder and mystery of Mata Nui as it was being introduced, meeting heroic or quirky or strange characters for the very first time, picking up on every little hint and detail...you had to have experienced these things in 2001 to really understand what it was that made MNOLG special beyond its aesthetic and atmospheric brilliance. That wasn't possible in the years thereafter, not only because Bionicle itself was established, but also because fans became accustomed to organised Wikis compiling vast amounts of information, Greg answering hundreds of questions, and regular spoilers and sneak peeks. None of this was happening in 2001. The MNOLG and some comics were all there was. The Bionicle fandom depended on it. Back then, MNOLG was more than a game, it was a way of life.The fact that it was free didn't hurt either :P

I have to agree with this.It was the first bionicle game I played, despite joining the fanbase in very late 2006.( via pridak.) Edited by rahkshi guurahk

-Rahkshi Guurahk
GENERATION 3: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
If I actually tried putting all the stuff I like on here, the sig would burst.

d1O9dXQ.png

(This banner is created by http://www.bzpower.com/board/user/59020-onaku/ )

There's little I can add to the praise of MNOLG other than my own voice. When I first played, I was far too little to actually know what I was doing, and thus I never finished the game until many years later - yet it still made a large impression on me. Every time I go back to play it I feel as if I am once more in this mysterious and fantastic new world that I had envisioned so clearly in my childhood. MNOLG is a wonderful part of a wonderful thing, the Bionicle storyline.

xBnUijj.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I think for me, what made the game so great came down to three things:

1. Since it came out basically right after Bionicle's birth, it was the main way for guys like us to find out more about Bionicle in general.
  2. Every cutscene was relevant; it revealed something new and important, and that really helped the game along.
  3. The music. My goodness, the music. The Chronicler's Company is second to none as far as nostalgia goes in the context of Bionicle music (at least for me).

Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.

-Ryu, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike: Fight for the Future

Not luck. It's what you do that makes you a hero.

-Kopaka Nuva, MoL

I have but one destiny.

-Takanuva, MoL

rtll200x160.png

Well, I'm one of those who didn't have internet back in 2001 (and, in fact, I did not have internet until 2008) which means that I played MNOG long, long time after it was released. This means that I already knew most of the story that happened in the game. Still, everytime I play it I find it awesome. Unlike its sequel, it has a good pace, good atmosphere, and it's not a chore to play. Definately one of the best BIONICLE games out there, if not the best.

le-koro_banner.jpg

The depth of the game's plot is very deep, the character's are great, it's pretty simple, and nostalgia plays a pretty big role too. :D

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

It took FOREVER to load on dial-up connection, and the updates seemed even longer in between. It was crazy to work through the game as quick as you could, only to discover convenient blockades halting progression. Then coming to BZP and talking about how excited you were that maybe Onu-Koro might get unlocked next!!Oh yeah, that's right. Back when it was new, it wasn't complete. It was released in installments. It wasn't a game you sat down and played. You had to savour it.

Edited by Makaru

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

• 4 weeks later...

It's true for MNOLG II as well. I remember getting so excited when Ko-Koro was unlocked, when before the Ko-Wahi area was just a black screen in MNOLG II. There's also the feeling of adventure and mystery that the new games simply couldn't capture. MNOG was also the first Bionicle game that I've completed, and I liked the cutscenes. It'll always remain as my favorite Bionicle game.

Edited by metrunui955

For me, it was the effort by the designers to make it feel so real. No necessarily the graphics, but the whole layout and design of the game elements. The locations weren't just cookie cut and recolored; each one was unique and made the player feel like they could be exploring a legitimate culture. The fact that it was first person contributed toward this experience. It's also, as someone else said, the most in depth LEGO has ever gone into the story for a line of sets. The story provided by the game made these characters come alive, partially as a result of those awesome flash movies (Onua vs. infected Lewa, anyone?). It also helps that gameplay wasn't repetitive. Sometimes you were retrieving objects. Sometimes you were fighting Rahi. Sometimes you were solving puzzles.This topic would be incomplete without mentioning the music. You can't think of BIONICLE music without thinking of MNOLG music.

BZPRPG

it just has something about it... i don't really know...and mnogII xould get so tedious, plus it suffered from a serious glitch whenever i tried to play it.and i will admit that i like the music to it. whoops, missed the last comment ^ yes the music is amazing.

Edited by Wheeljack

3DS Freind Code: 1693-0634-1082 Name: Joey

I also have Mario Kart 7, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Pokemon Y and Kid Icarus: Uprising

PM me to add me. 

Steam profile

Click here for the BZP Destiny Group

• 2 weeks later...

I honestly couldn't pinpoint what it is at all about MNOLG. The music springs to mind, but it's only good and nostalgic, there is better quality music in the world. The graphics aren't top of the range, but they're great. The gameplay style is frankly below average for any game. The storyline then seems the only thing going in its favour, but it's not complicated or intricate, or that well told.It just came together really well. It's the game of the people, and with its position at the start of the Bionicle line, it sits in peoples memories as the original thing. It was just great.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't