Has anybody else bought a Hero using Hero Recon? I did, and was very pleased with it. The packaging is great, the instructions are actually kind of useful, and you get a sticker! A STICKER! Oh, and fortunately, I ordered before they ran out of chestplates. Now that is a cool piece. I do dislike the naming system, though.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I haven't bought any Hero Recon Team heroes, but I have designed a few. I wish I had taken advantage of the time period with the exclusive chest armor piece, but I missed out on that one. I guess I could find one online, or somewhere else. The Hero Recon Team service seems like a pretty good idea, and I think it is pretty useful for making and receiving your own personal hero. I'd like to see some other features in it, like piece rotation (for armor pieces especially) and other similar tools, but I know that it would be very hard to program that much into a web platform (I'm amazed at how much they already have on a single Flash platform!). I probably should look into getting a hero for myself sometime soon.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I despise the naming system, but enjoy everything else very much. I think the program improved tenfold with the addition of 3.0 pieces. There's more room for creativity. I haven't actually purchased one, but I've designed many different heroes. -Mesonak

The Three Virtues YouTube Channel

-----

the3virtuesbanner.png

-----

Check it out for laughs, discussion, and more.

It's really evocative of the "Factory" line they produced a while back, with the boxes and the whole thing. Granted, I haven't actually used it, but I know and have heard enough about it to understand it. I commend LEGO for a useful promotion/product creator. Its recent "TWOTONECHESTARMOROMGOMG" ruse promotion seemed to work well. It's one of those things that would only work in Hero Factory. Never BIONICLE.

tumblr_ng1pw4xLEM1tryxewo1_1280.jpg

Yes, I can somewhat agree for the naming system; it is limited, but it has good intent and reasons for that. LEGO's main focus is toward children and young adults, so they need to moderate what will be seen by people. It's the same reason why just about any site has limitations and regulations—so that they can protect peoples rights to censorship. This could easily get into a dispute about first amendment rights to Americans, but I don't want this to go in that direction. It's an annoying regulation, but you need to keep in mind that it is for a good and valid reason. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

It's really evocative of the "Factory" line they produced a while back, with the boxes and the whole thing. Granted, I haven't actually used it, but I know and have heard enough about it to understand it. I commend LEGO for a useful promotion/product creator. Its recent "TWOTONECHESTARMOROMGOMG" ruse promotion seemed to work well. It's one of those things that would only work in Hero Factory. Never BIONICLE.

Haha, still, I'm glad it worked on me ;)

Yes, I can somewhat agree for the naming system; it is limited, but it has good intent and reasons for that. LEGO's main focus is toward children and young adults, so they need to moderate what will be seen by people. It's the same reason why just about any site has limitations and regulations—so that they can protect peoples rights to censorship. This could easily get into a dispute about first amendment rights to Americans, but I don't want this to go in that direction. It's an annoying regulation, but you need to keep in mind that it is for a good and valid reason. ;)

I agree, but they could at least have been a bit more imaginative.

sig_panel_bzprpg.pngsig_panel_profiles.pngsig_panel_flickr.pngsig_panel_steam.pngsig_panel_n7.png

I rejected Hero Recon in favor of the vastly superior Pick-a-Brick. Not only is it significantly cheaper, but it also includes no limitations, and offers a much better piece selection. The only downside is that you can't get the exclusive chest piece, which now is unavailable anyways. Unless you have a insatiable desire for custom packaging, Pick-a-Brick really is the way to go. 0101010 BC 01001011.

I think that it is a pretty interesting and quite cool thing that you can use your own custom hero in the Mission: Ordeal of Fire online game.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Was going to, but the $13 USD chased me away.

Same reason why I haven't purchase one of my custom heroes.

[size=4][color=#FF0000][color=#000000]Formerly known as ROTF Devastator[/color][/color][/size]
Kittiez sigpet made by Mr Nebby
[img]http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/vakama18/Stuff/shockwave_sig.jpg[/img][img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Nrdy/Kittiez/W1/tabby.png[/img]

Was going to, but the $13 USD chased me away.

Actually, $13 isn't too bad. It's around the same price as a regular Hero set, only with all the personalized and exclusive stuff!

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

It's OK. The naming system is BAD, but the designer works smoothly and the gallery system is well done. What really annoys me is the packaging. The extra thank-you notes, papers, and the like, combined with the oversized instructions and the full color printed fancy box are a tremendous waste of resources to mass produce. If Lego would cut down on boxing and stuffing the thing full of paper sheets left and right, then maybe they wouldn't be so terribly expensive.

I might buy one, but I need more purple.

Ever since Evo 2.0 though, there have been much more purple introduced into the theme. Yes, there should definitely be purple armor pieces though.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I thought there were no more purple introduced after Evo 2.0. Not sure if Joker counts.

I don't think that there have been in any sets, but I'm saying that it got added to the Hero Recon Team palette. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

There isn't any new purple in Hero Recon. Just Core, Head, and Spike. Rivin.

Those were the pieces that I was speaking of. They were new once Evo 2.0 was released. ;)

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Is the $13 with or without shipping? I really want a hero but I don't want to pay too much.

I'm almost positive it's without shipping, but shipping isn't too much either. It's a good deal either way.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

So to quote Dorek:

Another general question to anybody in this topic: did you guys get a letter from a Hero named "Vic Tory" with your Recon orders? I've noticed that a few people do, but I can't seem to locate a full copy of the letter, and I certainly didn't get one.

Does anyone have one? As for getting any of the sets, I doubt that I will. I prefer buying the sets from a shop, as, well, my creative abilities aren't amazing. xD ~Argentum~

~ Argentum

So far, I have five Recon Heroes. I also made and ordered a Merrick Fortis before they ran out of Chestplates, and made him accurate by adding some extra pieces I had.I also made a figure based on Lucas Valor which I'm quite pleased with. Kalhiki

mrdark2.png

You're Doomed, Rayman!

Boy! I just love it when my computer doesn't tell me when my battery is getting low!

(that's sarcasm, by the way)

I disagree. I think it would have been great addition to Bionicle. But it would need a REALLY good explanation. I ordered a Recon figure a while back. The name system is 'meh', and I wish they had more parts back then. I designed a couple of others though, and they're epic. The figure I ordered, "Peter the Stone", is awesome. I hope to post some pictures of him in an MoC topic someday.

My Comedies: The Krika Show (Season 1)
The Krika Show Season 2 

Yes, the naming system does limit you a bit (maybe due to copyright issues), but the number of combinations are in the 10,000s. What might make it more interesting, though, would be if LEGO subtracted one part from the total allotted for each figure. Then, since the Hero lower arms cannot be armored in the creator, they make 22 different silver printed armor pieces (stickers might be cheaper, those might still work), one for each last name (so for example one for Stinger, one for Stone, etc.), and based on the last name that any given Hero has, they include the appropriate printed armor piece/sticker in every Recon order. It would allow for some more consistency between the Heroes, because all of the Alpha Team Heroes have those printed armor pieces.

The naming system could be an advantage for people with common, simple names like Michael Stone, because they can make a hero using their name. I wish they had my name though. :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I wish that you could get a decal or a printed part of your hero's name on a cladding piece, but that would probably send the price skyrocketing. I don't think that the price is too bad currently, when you consider what you're getting with your order.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

The fun thing about the price tag is that the shipping helps to moderate a lot of other items. You can go over their standard price/shipping ratios and still have the same or similar shipping if you include a Recon order. So while 13+shipping may seem like a lot, it becomes worth it if you add other things; I always supplement my recon orders with PAB bits. As for the stickers, I can't imagine that being too expensive to produce (if it's last names only), but they do have a fairly large repertoire of names, so I can see the impracticality of it. Waiting on a third Recon order, myself. I adore this service. Allows for great customization, and is just fun overall, with those great story tidbits to create this cool organization. The service has a few kinks here and there, but works out very well on the whole. Wonder how they'll compensate for the Breakout theme; a secondary body type for the larger heroes, at an increased price tag? I'd be okay with that, but it's still going to be interesting to find out.