New Hand Molds

Is it just me, or am I the only one who preffers the old hand molds to the new ones? While the new ones added a more lifelike quality to the sets, its connecting capibilities are poor compared to the old ones. You can't connect any of the weapons to it that meant to go over the hand a little, like Pridak's shark tooth blads, etc. There is also the old Toa-Mata two-fingered hands, and other titan hands. Opinions?

Edited by Toa Of Virtues

keetkiril.gifqSvBogp.jpgkeetkiril.gif

Is it just me, or am I the only one who preffers the old hand molds to the new ones? While the new ones added a more lifelike quality to the sets, its connecting capibilities are poor compared to the old ones. You can't connect any of the weapons to it that meant to go over the hand a little, like Pridak's shark tooth blads, etc. Opinions?

That's more a result of those parts being designed for the old "Y-joint" hands rather than the newer ones. If the new hands had been introduced back in 2001, parts like the shark tooth blades would probably have been designed with those hands in mind.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

I say it depends on what you want to do with it. If you can use the new hands, they'll probably look better, but if you want to take advantage of the regular y-joint, then that would look better than the new hands.It's not like the new hands have displaced the old y-joint. Both pieces still exist, and even official Lego sets still use y-joints when needed (see: MTIS on Hero Factory 2.0). So there's no reason not to use whichever you want.

cholslegofursig.png

Latest MOC:

Ol' Dusty

I have been a big fan of both the four-fingered Glatorian hands and their new five-fingered Hero Factory replacements, but I see no reason it has to be an "either-or" situation. As Chols mentioned, some Hero Factory sets still use Y-joints as hands when those additional connection points are needed, and I certainly don't hesitate to use Y-joints as hands in my MOCs if I prefer a more imaginative weapon to a more lifelike appearance.There are also some weapons that don't work using classic Y-joints and do work with other hand pieces. FOr example, the hilt of Ackar's sword can't be held at a reasonable angle by a regular Y-joint unless the wrist is twisted unnaturally. Since neither style of fist have a "knuckle" that sticks out as far as the perpendicular connection point on a Y-joint, there are situations where the newer fist pieces are functionally superior, not just aesthetically superior.In other words, older Y-joints may be more versatile in some ways, but sets and MOCs that don't need the additional connection points don't need regular Y-joints, and regular Y-joints are still available for those that do need them.

The old hand pieces could be used for tons of situations, with around five different connection points. The new ones are lame fists that have only two connection points, and are hard to use for things other than hands. Old ones win by a massive amount in my book.~B~

The old hand pieces could be used for tons of situations, with around five different connection points. The new ones are lame fists that have only two connection points, and are hard to use for things other than hands. Old ones win by a massive amount in my book.~B~

Yeah, but is that not kind of the point of them? To be hands? As people have said, it's not like the traditional socket has been replaced (remolded, sure).

plop

Yeah, but is that not kind of the point of them? To be hands? As people have said, it's not like the traditional socket has been replaced (remolded, sure).
No, they're used for so many other things, even as generic connection points on sets or MOCs. And the new socket is much less versatile, as it removed two of the better connection points (i.e. the possibility of placing axles through the socket hole).~B~

It really depends to me. The new hand molds seem much more fitting to HF sets/creations than BIONICLEs. I guess it's their slight differences I think in proportion that affects it. However I see the y-joints as having always been BIONICLE's signature feature. If I had to choose between adding a new hand socket or a y-joint to a BIONICLE, it would definitely be the y-joint. I guess we've become more accustomed to it and now it seems more fitting.

Edited by Daiker

doom4revalt.png

No, they're used for so many other things, even as generic connection points on sets or MOCs. And the new socket is much less versatile, as it removed two of the better connection points (i.e. the possibility of placing axles through the socket hole).~B~
...in exchange for making the previously fragile socket holes much sturdier. With the number of Y-joints I've lost even to careful, proper use, I think that's a worthy trade.

Formerly Lyichir: Rachira of Influence

Aanchir's and Meiko's brother

Only articulated fingers will ever justify the new fists. Otherwise, you could just use the old style, meaning two ways to hold, making it convinient to hold either a sword, a spear, or a shield. Guns might suit the new version, but come on, this is Lego we're talking about, meaning all projectile launchers have to be ridiculously oversized, save the Rhotuka and Kanoka, the former of which can't be aimed and the latter doesn't even go far. I mean, a gun shouldn't be bigger than the wielder's head *coughcordaklauncherscough*!

aouROFb.png

I prefer the new ones over the old ones, though I occasionally use simple Y-Joints as hands. I like the realistic qualities of the new ones, but the old ones still have their uses here and there.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

Although the new hand molds appealed to some because they were solid, I preferred the old design. I have a lot more of the older ones anyhow, lol.

On the day the wall came down / They threw the locks onto the ground

And with glasses high / We raised a cry / For freedom had arrived

On the day the wall came down / The ship of fools had finally run aground

Promises lit up the night / Like paper doves in flight

I dreamed you had left my side / No warmth, not even pride remained

And even though you needed me / It was clear that I could not do a thing for you

Now life devalues day by day / As friends and neighbors turn away

And there's a change that even with regret / Cannot be undone

Now frontiers shift like desert sands / While nations wash their bloodied hands

Of loyalty, of history / In shades of grey

I woke to the sound of drums / The music played, the morning sun streamed in

I turned and I looked at you / And all but the bitter residues slipped away

slipped away...

Well, the old 'hands' weren't really hands. But, they were a useful piece and functioned well as hands for BIONICLE sets. On the other hand ( cheesy pun! ) , the new hands released in the Glatorian sets were more lifelike. Some downsides are that some weapons cannot be connected in any way, and that these hand molds also have limited connection points.All in all, the old 'hands' are what BIONICLE will be remembered for, and are one of the most useful molds so far.

My first (and currently ONLY) MOC on BZP! >

http://www.bzpower.c...?showtopic=5426

PLAGUE

14780599_c638_625x625.jpg

Avatar pic taken [and edited] by me. DON"T STEAL IT!

:P

Personally I'm happy that we now have a variety of choices to pick from.If I want to give a figure a weapon like a staff where aesthetically it's better to have a clenched fist, I'll use the new hand mold.If I want to give the figure a more complex weapon that wouldn't fit on the fist or large talons that would be in place of the fist, I'll use the single socket joint mold.And if I don't want the figure to have a handheld weapon, I might use the single socket, pneumatic t-joint, and some Exo-Force robot arms to make hands with moveable fingers. This also works if you want to give them claws.The fist might not have the versatility of the single socket, but it's a good mold to have added into the mix. If it were replacing the single socket entirely I would have some issues with it, but since that piece is also used a number of other ways I don't think that's likely to ever happen.

OpAXNpl.jpg

I preferred the old ones. Less bulky, you know? Of course, you could never beat Hydraxon's fingers! :D

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Wow, some divided opinions here.Personally, I just don't have enough colors/a large enough amount of the fist-type hands, whether Glatorian or Hero Factory, to use them in most MOCs. I actually like the fist-type hands well enough, but have all the wrong colors most of the time.~

:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r:~

"YOU'D THINK, FOR BEING A DEAD MAN, I'D BE MORE TRIUMPHANT THAN I AM."

Wow, some divided opinions here.Personally, I just don't have enough colors/a large enough amount of the fist-type hands, whether Glatorian or Hero Factory, to use them in most MOCs. I actually like the fist-type hands well enough, but have all the wrong colors most of the time.~

:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r:~

Well, I'm not sure what color MOCs you tend to make so have no idea what colors you find yourself needing, but the Hero Factory ones are on Pick-A-Brick in at least five colors. White, Bright Orange, and Bright Blue ones are available on Bricklink for slightly higher costs.

Wow, some divided opinions here.Personally, I just don't have enough colors/a large enough amount of the fist-type hands, whether Glatorian or Hero Factory, to use them in most MOCs. I actually like the fist-type hands well enough, but have all the wrong colors most of the time.

Well, I'm not sure what color MOCs you tend to make so have no idea what colors you find yourself needing, but the Hero Factory ones are on Pick-A-Brick in at least five colors. White, Bright Orange, and Bright Blue ones are available on Bricklink for slightly higher costs.

I should note that 1) I don't have a Bricklink account and 2) I rarely order from LEGO.com (let alone anywhere else) and usually forget to look at Pick-a-Brick when I do.

:P It's a combination of inertia and paucity of personal collection that keeps me from bothering to use/get fist-type hands.Also, I prefer the BIONICLE type very slightly, but that's a different story.Thanks for the reminder though, I'd forgotten about Pick-a-Brick's selection. Maybe when I next order...

EDIT: I'm not sure I'd spend that much on hand pieces either. :| Ah well, maybe trading will net me some.

~

:b: :i: :m_o: :m: :a: :n: :c: :e: :r:~

Edited by Overlord

"YOU'D THINK, FOR BEING A DEAD MAN, I'D BE MORE TRIUMPHANT THAN I AM."

the very first hands for the toa mata were the best IMO. What I wonder; however, is why they "filled in" the holes in 2008 of the y-joint. The new ones got on my nerves at first (every square socket peice i own is either brocken or cracked. Curse you squares!), then they used circle-sockets, which makes me happy(er). With the Y joint, you can use more things in 1 hand, and, as mentiond before, they can hold curvy parts. plus, they can make a 4-peice crossbow!

They're both pretty good, though sometimes the new hands look to big and bulky, and the Y-joints can be used in a multitude of poses. I find the preset fist of the new hand looks quite strange in certain poses, while the Y-joints look good doing anything (EG: Pointing at something).

• 2 weeks later...

I see what you're saying, and true, you can't beat the y-joint piece (or "hip joint" as other fans called it in the old days), since they were originally used as hands in the older days of Bionicle. These new hands do add a but of realism to sets, but you're sort of limited on parts and weapons, depending on how you use them. Some parts like Pridak's shark tooth blades can't fit since they were made with the y-joint piece in mind.I do like the y-joint piece better in some bases, although again, it depends on the set and how I use it. In the case of Bionicle sets and MOCs, I'd prefer the y-joint/hip joint parts instead.

• 3 weeks later...

I liked the original "Y-Joint", but not the remoulded one from '08. Those broke when you tried to forms chains with other Y-joints. I always use the original whenever possible, even over the few glatorian hands I have. I don't have enough of the new hands for them to look right amongst the rest of my MOCs and sets, and I also think the hands look odd still, and I just prefer the aesthetics of the Y-joint.

- Taipu1.

tayis.png

HighFly Matoran

Showdown

BZPRPG Profiles

Have you seen my Blog? I understand if you haven't