Rate The Song Above You

If it weren't for the chorus and guitar solo, I would give it a 2.5/5, but because of the chorus & solo, it shoots up to a 3.8/5. I thought it was overall kinda bland Swedish metal. (I prefer In Flames over Soilwork any day of the week, excluding Siren Charms).

Here's some Mercenary:

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

Iron Maiden    Journey    Mercenary    The Unguided    Trivium

Boston    Stratovarius    Symphony X    Epica

disagree hard. Soilwork's probably my favorite melodic death metal band, honestly. I think they're the best in the business right now. I'll agree that early In Flames (particularly The Jester Race) is better than most Soilwork (especially most of their 2000s stuff), but Soilwork's first four albums + The Panic Broadcast and (especially) The Living Infinite are eons ahead of anything In Flames has done since 1999.

anyway 5/5 - one of my favorites off of what is probably my second- or third-favorite Mercenary album. great stuff.

Edited by Ryuujin

3/5- It wasn't bad, but it's not within my musical realm. I didn't like it, but I don't dislike it either.

disagree hard. Soilwork's probably my favorite melodic death metal band, honestly. I think they're the best in the business right now. I'll agree that early In Flames (particularly The Jester Race) is better than most Soilwork (especially most of their 2000s stuff), but Soilwork's first four albums + The Panic Broadcast and (especially) The Living Infinite are eons ahead of anything In Flames has done since 1999.

I own The Living Infinite, but I have yet to give it some dedicated listening time. I haven't listened to an extensive amount of Soilwork, but what I have heard just doesn't impress me as much as I think it should. And In Flames...I like some of their stuff, but they aren't a favorite of mine either; I actually don't think they peaked until they had 2 great albums called A Sense of Purpose and Sounds of a Playground Fading (I know I have a rather unpopular opinion, but PM if you wish to hear my full opinion of those albums). When I want to listen to melodic death metal, my favorite band is a newer group called The Unguided. They don't have many songs on Youtube unfortunately, but here's the demo version of perhaps their best song in my opinion.

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

3.5/5 - generic but enjoyable track. sounds pretty much exactly like early Sonic Syndicate, which makes sense considering it's the same main dudes. honestly, as is the case with Sonic Syndicate, it sounds more metalcore to me than melodic death, but whatever.

And In Flames...I like some of their stuff, but they aren't a favorite of mine either; I actually don't think they peaked until they had 2 great albums called A Sense of Purpose and Sounds of a Playground Fading (I know I have a rather unpopular opinion, but PM if you wish to hear my full opinion of those albums).

yup, can't agree with that at all. as a longtime In Flames fan, A Sense of Purpose is one of the most bland and boring albums I've ever heard and Sounds of a Playground Fading, while better, doesn't live up to the gold standard of their early stuff for me either. I feel like it's a bit unfair to compare those albums to other melodic death metal bands, though, because I wouldn't consider them melodic death metal at all. In Flames started transitioning away from that genre with Reroute to Remain and shed it completely by ASoP.

anyway, I realized that by calling Soilwork my favorite melodeath band I was overlooking Hypocrisy, who are kind of my third-favorite band of all time so I'm not really sure how I could forget them. then again, I've never really considered them to be melodeath in the same vein as bands like In Flames or Soilwork, anyway - more like death metal that happens to be melodic as opposed to melodic death metal, if that makes any sense? here's one of my favorite songs of theirs, which is lyrically based on my favorite television show, The X-Files:

Edited by Ryuujin

yup, can't agree with that at all. as a longtime In Flames fan, A Sense of Purpose is one of the most bland and boring albums I've ever heard and Sounds of a Playground Fading, while better, doesn't live up to the gold standard of their early stuff for me either. I feel like it's a bit unfair to compare those albums to other melodic death metal bands, though, because I wouldn't consider them melodic death metal at all. In Flames started transitioning away from that genre with Reroute to Remain and shed it completely by ASoP.

That's ok, few people do agree with me on music, but that's why there are a huge amount of bands doing their own interpretations of a genre (or crossing them). I'm a huge fan of progressive music and I like to hear things that are unique in sounds and styles. You many find these two albums bland, but the atmosphere they capture isn't something that I think can be duplicated. I like the style of ASoP because it has a fairly unique blend of metalcore and more traditional heavy metal with more melody than any of IF's other post-2000 albums (and I do label it under the m.d.m. category because the root of it is still that genre, but they added other things to the genre, pushing the boundaries of what the genre can be). Playground, is the first album, I think, that looses all of the m.d.m. roots and goes for a completely alternative metal approach with some experimentation.

I'd give that Hypocrisy song a 4/5. It isn't something I'd listen to, but it's definitely cool. I like the guitar harmonies.

Ok, so this next song isn't something I'm going to talk about as a listener...I wrote the lyrics to this song and composed it with my buddy and we recorded it last month. There are a few slight imperfections in it, but rate it and then give me some feedback on it. I'm super proud of this song and so is my friend and I just want to hear others' opinions of our work.

https://soundcloud.com/out-from-ashes

In case you're curious:

My buddy did all the bass and most of the guitars

I did all drums, all vocals, the orchestration, and the lead guitar (not including the solo)

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

5/5. That's a great song (I own the CD and listen to the song at times). Love it!

Special thanks to Ryuujin for encouraging me to give this album a listen. This song in itself is a masterpiece, particularly the solo passage!

evergrey_l01.gif

Other great bands:

2/5 I appreciate the melodicness and coolness, but something about it is...cluttered? I guess for lack of a better word. Like instead of an actual drum beat it's just like "bambambambam", at least at the beginning. I like it more from 1:29 onward though.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username. 

2/5 same problem that I said earlier - to me it sounds like ramming notes. Also this one has some weird mixing going on - guitar at the beginning is way too loud and vocals are really quiet.

OqAhaVh.gif   qIprtVB.png     

A RUDE AWAKENING - A Bionicle G1 continuation and video-game project(MUSIC COMPOSER)  
special thx to Inary the Gunhaver for my new username.