Rate The Song Above You

2.5/5. Not at all a fan of the narration/vocals/whatever-I'd-call-them, but the music itself is pretty good in places, especially when the distortion or various effects swell or drop off.Bloc Party - Pioneers.~

:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r:~

"YOU'D THINK, FOR BEING A DEAD MAN, I'D BE MORE TRIUMPHANT THAN I AM."

Hmm... Lyrics are interesting, and I like the drums as well as the subtle ambiance in the background... Not a super big fan of the vocals, but I don't think I have any serious objections, either. On a slightly unrelated note, the music video I found was pretty trippy, but in a cool way. =POverall... I'd say 3/5. Not bad, actually kinda growing on me.Swoon- Imogen Heap-Helio

Love

It will not betray you, dismay or enslave you

It will set you free

Be more like the man you were made to be

untitled.png

3.3/5, something like that. The instruments through most of the song are a bit minimalist for me, but the vocals are probably supposed to be the main draw, and surprisingly enough they sort of succeed for me. A nice listen for the few minutes it ran.

:P It didn't even seem that long.Hurricane Bells - Flowers In the Dirt (link here).~:b::i::m_o::m::a::n::c::e::r:~

2.5/5. As usual, I'm unimpressed with and/or disappointed by any vocals/narration-ish stuff wherever it appears, but I do appreciate the (sometimes vestigial) melody underneath, as well as the instruments themselves to some extent. Unfortunately the more I hear, the less I like it, I think; it seems too long."The Sandfighter" by Falcon.(An aside: Does anyone else post songs in this topic that they don't necessarily like that much, but just want to see what people think of them?)~

@Overlord: Nah, not really. I usually post music that I actually own, so it's mostly the sort of thing I actually listen to on a regular basis. I might every once in a while, though.Anyway, lesee... It's catchy, and I like Sting's vocals and a fair bit of what's going on instrumentally, but it's a touch heavy on the synthesized sounds for my tastes. So, I suppose 3/5? I'm not good at translating this stuff over into a numerical value. =PHow 'bout... All These Things That I've Done by The Killers.-Helio

Love

It will set you free

untitled.png

@Helio, ah... I don't own a whole lot of music myself, so almost everything I post isn't "my own", so to speak. :P3/5, I guess? No decimal here because my feelings about this song are as generic as most of it feels to me. I'm usually wary of the Killers' songs because I'm not so fond of Brandon Flowers' vocals, but they work pretty well here. This song is nice, but stands out in no way from the crowd, unfortunately.The Shore - Hard Road.~

2/5. It's kind of interesting, but it's really just not my style. Not really a fan of the sort of off-key vocals-- I know that the singer's doing it intentionally, but to me it just comes off as monotone and lacking emotion. I do sort of like the mellowness of the first part, though.White Blank Page by Mumford & Sons.-Helio

Love

It will set you free

untitled.png

3/5. Generally I like Mumford and Sons, and the music is all quite good in this song. The lyrics are not up to par, so to speak, though. I've listened to some mediocre lyrics in my time, but I'd only pardon them if they weren't sung so prominently in this instance...Atlas Sound - Te Amo.~

Huh, that's interesting; I actually like quite a few of the lyrics from this one. But then, I have somewhat questionable tastes, so there you go. =PBack on topic! I rather like this one. It's sort of playful and dreamlike, which is fitting, though that riff gets kinda repetitive. I'm gonna go ahead and say 4/5. Or maybe 3.5? Oh, whatever, I suck at this part, and I'm feeling generous. Final verdict is 4/5. :PAND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. Delilah- Queen.-Helio

Edited by ~Sol de Medianoche~

Love

It will set you free

untitled.png

No Helio, you have fine tastes (at least I think so). My own tastes, however, are insanely bizarre. :PBut anyway back on topi- OH MAN IT'S QUEENIn this case I didn't listen to the lyrics because I couldn't hear them (my hearing is indeed strangely poor), so I won't comment on that, but I did appreciate the vocals okay, at least considering that it's Queen. I liked the guitar solo, even though it seemed out of place. All I have to say, I guess, is that despite my peculiar prejudice against songs by Queen and the fact that I might not usually listen to songs of this style, it was alright. Maybe 2.8/5, something like that.While we're changing things up..."Suitcase" by Circa Survive.~

4.5/5It's not bad, I liked the opening riff, and the song flowed well, and the instrumental bit was good as well.The Bleeding-Five Finger Death Punch

War...war never changes.

We crawl, on our knees for you,
under, a sky no longer blue,
we sweat, all day long for you.

But we sow, seeds to see us though,
cause sometimes dreams just don't come true,
we wait, to reap what we are due.

-Rise Against, Re-Education (through Labor)

@Overlord: ...It's about Freddie Mercury's cat. XDThe song: This is tough for me, because it's completely out of the range of the style of music I typically listen to now. As a rule, I'm really not a screamo fan, so I can't honestly say I enjoyed it all that much, buuuuut, because of my unfamiliarity with the genre, I can't really evaluate it on its own merits either. I will say that I kinda liked the intro. Overall... I can't say that anything really stood out to me, unfortunately, though lyrically it felt kinda weak, and lyrics tend to be a major selling point for me. Sooooo... 1.5. Just ain't my cuppa tea.Wing-stock- Ashley MacIsaac-Helio

Edited by ~Sol de Medianoche~

Love

It will set you free

untitled.png

^This is why I don't even TRY to guess genres. I barely know my own favorites. >_>Anyway...In what might be a first for this topic for me, I actually have listened to this song before and enjoyed it when I did. Not a band I like enough to trawl through their catalog of releases, but really pretty cool. I'm currently not able to load it due to internet problems but based on memory, I'd give it a 4-ish/5.Catherine Wheel - Gasoline.~

3/5 - Well, there wasn't anything to dislike about it. The rhythm was pretty good and the singer's voice was tolerable but that's really about all that can be said about it. It was alright, but I guess there wasn't much that particularly stood out about it.4/5 - Okay, that was actually very enjoyable. The song was catchy and even as I type this the tune is going round in my head. I liked the singers voice and the lyrics were pretty nice. I imagine I'll be listening to this song a couple more times and maybe even checking out some of their other stuff.Discordia - Sons of Rust

Edited by The Wretched Automaton

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

4/5 - Okay, that was actually very enjoyable. The song was catchy and even as I type this the tune is going round in my head. I liked the singers voice and the lyrics were pretty nice. I imagine I'll be listening to this song a couple more times and maybe even checking out some of their other stuff.
glad you liked it. if you check out more of their work, I'd recommend skipping everything before their third album - the first two were pretty different, a bit harsher and more extreme, and probably wouldn't be up to your tastes. it was with Discouraged Ones that they went in a more melodic, dark rock/metal direction, which they've stuck to ever since. I especially recommend looking into their three most recent albums - The Great Cold Distance, Night Is the New Day, and Dead End Kings. they're pretty amazing.anywho!3/5 - I've never liked Anberlin much, but this is pretty good. it's fairly straightforward but also catchy and has a nice anthemic quality to it. I like the singer's voice as well, although the vocal effects on the chorus seem unnecessary."Erased" - Paradise Lost Edited by Ryuujin