Rate The Song Above You

5/5, fifteen minutes well-spent. I'd have to listen a few more times to give an in-depth review, and I don't really have time to do that.

We will remember - Skies may fade and stars may wane; we won't forget

And your light shines bright - yes so much brighter shine on

We will remember - Until the skies will fall we won't forget

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

2.5/5 - I don't know if it's the quality of the live recording or what, but it just doesn't leave much of an impression. it has an industrial/gothic vibe which normally I'd love, but for reasons I can't explain I'm just really not feeling it at all. it's not bad though.

Edited by Scythey

Mmh. I went with the live one because the original album version was not very good at all. Made when the band was really new, just kinda falls flat. Sort of like how Battalions of Fear is my least favorite Blind Guardian album, except I still actually enjoy Battalions of Fear.

Aaaanyway, I've got no good reason not to give this a 5/5. I like the voice, the guitar provides good accompaniment, it's just... yeah. I like it. A lot.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

3/5, I like the music, but the lyrics kinda pull me out of it. It's good at being what it is, just not really my thing.

(Also, Scythey, mind tossing me some recommendations that fit that genre?)

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

I couldn't possibly give this song less than 5/5. I mean, it's Jimi, and it was specifically my favorite song of his for like seven years because I hadn't heard Valleys of Neptune or House Burning Down yet.

Anyway, been meaning to toss ya this one for a bit.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Pretty intensely not my genre, something that rests almost entirely on the vocal style. The instrumentation and melody are a bit bare-bones for my tastes, which, again, kind of a genre-related thing, so I can't justify knocking that much off the score for it. I do like what I hear in the melody, so overall this'll get a 3.5/5 from me.

Completely serious about asking for recommendations in the same genre as those Abney Park songs, by the way. My exposure to that genre has been fairly limited, and I need more awesome music in my life.

Anyway, someone said skald, so...

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

lol I mostly just posted that Darkthrone song to ward off Ghidora, I didn't expect anybody here to actually like it besides me and Queen of Liars

4/5 - it's Blind Guardian. not one of my favorite Blind Guardian songs, but it's still Blind Guardian so of course it gets nothing less than a 4.

side note: as I was listening to that Darkthrone song when I posted it, there was a looping gif of somebody repeatedly slapping a mound of jello with a wooden spoon on my tumblr radar and it synced up perfectly with the drumming.

as for the Abney Park recommendations, based on the songs I heard I got kind of a mixture of gothic and industrial vibes so it can go either way. it's after 2 AM here so I can't go in depth right now, but off the top of my head: for industrial, check Circle of Dust and Front Line Assembly for starters (similar musically, different vibe) with Disengage and Tactical Neural Implant respectively being good starting points. as for gothic, maybe try Clan of Xymox and Fields of the Nephilim (less similar musically, similar vibe). Masquerade and Elizium are ideal albums by the latter two, with Elizium in particular being one of my favorite albums of all time. I'm way more experienced with gothic music than industrial so I can give more a lot more recommendations there.

Edited by Scythey

Yeah I can dig this, I'll say about a 4.5/5.

wait... was it the mound of jello with a cat's face on it?

[getting started on that Front Line Assembly album. No objections so far.]

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

4/5 - catchy, nice guitar work, good use of SID/chiptune-esque sounds. the vocals remind me a bit of Nick Holmes from Paradise Lost's more baritone style.. which, now that I think about it, their albums One Second and Host would be pretty good recommendations for the whole gothic/electronic thing. actually you'd probably like most of their stuff, although most of it is less synthy and more metal.

and yes, as a matter of fact, it was the cat jello.

1/5.  I feel like they would have done better if they'd had an instrument replace the vocal part. I also feel like big band is kinda the wrong genre to arrange a song like this for, and that this arrangement was, on the whole, a mistake, failing to capture the essence of the original while also leaving out what makes big band pieces fun.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

That's fair, it's an inherently ridiculous cover. I just like it because it makes me think of a kooky villain song in an animated movie.

Anyway... the harsher bits of the vocals made me iffy on this for a minute, but nah. Nah, this definitely makes the 5/5 list. The quieter part in the middle is pretty neat too.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

If you don't mind me asking, why do they make you uncomfortable? If it's got something to do with them being awful as people, I'd kind of like to know about it.

Anyway, 4/5. Pretty catchy, only thing that brings it down from a 5 is that the vocal style isn't really what I go for.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

5/5 twinkly emo in 3/4 time with heavy parts; im all about this

If you don't mind me asking, why do they make you uncomfortable? If it's got something to do with them being awful as people, I'd kind of like to know about it.

no nothing like that (although, they do have a song called little girls that is way, way creepy), and who doesnt love danny elfman

its the same reason i cant listen to the majority of devo's stuff, its too weird

i dig weird music but past a certain point of weirdness i gotta tap out

only in dreams.

Alright, I can deal with them being weird (though I'll definitely avoid the creepy song, I think)

Anyway, I'm going to say about 4.5/5 for this one - I really did enjoy this song, but I am kind of picky about voices.

(Fair warning that this song, too, is kind of weird. It's probably going to be a thing for me in October.)

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

3.5/5, the vocal style really isn't my thing, but everything else about the song really is.

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

Okay, I wasn't expecting to like this, but... 5/5. I really like the effect produced by the vocal looping, and just... yeah, I kinda love it.

Meanwhile,

We will remember

We all shall follow doom

• 3 weeks later...