Lhii Comes Back

A little too long and a little too late for this round. I'm happy with it though, and I'm glad I wrote it.

Lhii Comes Back

Three Ta-Matoran had set forth, patrolling their borders, spears in hand. A marching song they sang, as on their way they went.In the heat and in the smokeWhere lava flowed and bubbles brokeLhii crested the scarlet waveHe the maddest brink would braveAs they ended this verse and began the next, a yellow shape moved between the charred trees. Nothing walked in this forest, save the Rahi and their master. An order was given, the Matoran snapped into positon, forming a triangle in an attempt at defense.Then a figure stepped from the burnt trunks of the trees. His Pakari was scarred, and his hands were blackened with fire. A lava board was slung on his back, and in his eyes was a stalwart flame."Do you know who I am?" the lone figure said."We have heard the legends, but we also heard you were dead," Kapura returned."That tale was no finished one, for you see me before you," the strange Matoran said."It is also said, stranger, that the creatures of Makuta roam this forest, with their claws and with their teeth. How is it you walk here, with only a lava board and your black hands?""Take me to your leader, he will understand."They set off through the smoldering wood, their eyes wide and their spears unsteady. He walked before them, over the bridge and through the gates, into the Koro. As he entered the Matoran gasped and spoke among themselves. The legends had long been told of Lhii's prowess, heroism, and death. Their shock crystalized into joy and clamor."Lhii! Lhii! Alive and free!"The bright eyes smiled behind the Mask of Strength."Lhii! Lhii! Alive and free!"Arms were raised in the air, the guards clanged their spears on their shields, the yellow feet walked on."Lhii! Lhii! Alive and free!"A Matoran of ice in the crowd stood petrified, shocked to his core by the coming of this being. His name was Matoro, and he knew many things unknown to the people of Ta-Koro.He ran, with all the speed at his command, to the home of Vakama, Turaga of Fire and inventor of Lhii.Words were spoken, few and fell, Vakama brushed his hand over his Kanohi. He seized his staff, and handed Matoro a throwing disc. He strode into the central square, Matoro following a step behind."Lhii! Lhii! Alive and free!"Vakama's eyes narrowed as the cry met his ears, he knew whose work this was, he knew who lay behind the yellow Pakari."Lhii! Lhii! Alive and free!""Stop!" Vakama cried, striking the paving stones with his staff.A sudden silence descended, and fear wafted among the Matoran like a wisp of poisonous fumes."This one you see before you is not Lhii, I saw Lhii die with my own eyes, many years ago," the Turaga said, quietly but in a carrying voice.The yellow figure smiled. The rusted scars on his Kanohi seemed to grow and spread, covering his shoulders, his chest, and soon his entire body. The eyes changed from the pure flame to a smoldering brilliance. He seemed to rise off the ground slightly,"I never expected my mask would to fool the creator of the persona. No one would believe in the coming of a figment of their imagination; correct Turaga?"The Matoran fell back, muffled cries filled the walls."Nor one who saw him die."The corroded figure laughed, first a foreboding rumble, rising to a shattering crescendo."Do you not see who you have as a leader, slaves of Mata Nui? One who lies not only for his own ends, but for his own enjoyment. Inventing tales, legends, with which to fool his own followers. He lies yet, as he lies about the coming of Toa, and your future."The dark figure levitated into the air, then disappeared, and silence descended.The Matoran gazed at the Turaga in front of them, who had led them since before they could remember. He hung his head.Makuta had won that day.

---