Most Inelegant Part Of The Story?

What do you feel was the most inelegant part of the Bionicle Storyline? A particualr moment or plot device you feel was there just for show, or could have been done better, or was obviously just there to move the plot along. For me, I think that Hahli's mask in the Inika saga was a bit too convenient. Out of the hundreds of masks, Hahli gets the one that would help her and her team do exactly what they needed to do? What do you think?Rivin

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 100 KB!

The fact that they happen to have a bunch of masks that are exactly what the need convienently stored around the island for them.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

The Brotherhood of Makuta, at least the Makuta who had died in Karda Nui and various other locations, could have been better used. They did not feel like the most powerful villains of the BIONICLE universe. I don't think the focus should have been on Teridax the whole time. I also wanted some better Order of Mata Nui vs. Brotherhood of Makuta action, like Brutaka vs. Teridax (Into the Darkness) or Hydraxon vs. Teridax. Tobduk vs. Tridax was alright, but was rather short.

Edited by Erebus

jlovfkk.jpg

The Brotherhood of Makuta, at least the Makuta who had died in Karda Nui and various other locations, could have been better used. They did not feel like the most powerful villains of the BIONICLE universe. I don't think the focus should have been on Teridax the whole time.

Yeah, it's kind of sad that they introduced the rest of Teridax's species, fell victim to the Inverse Ninja Law, all died, and left Teridax right where he started. Rivin

Signature Guidelines: Avatar and signature total file size may not exceed 100 KB!

Actually, the whole thing with the Makuta was justified (they weren't supposed to kill the Toa Nuva, remember?). I was rather disapointed that we didn't get to see all the sets from 2009 in-story. That struck me as kinda dropping the ball. Beyond that, handwaving the whole giant robot thing. There must have been a better way to handle that than saying "Giant robots can stand on planet and do nothing to them because we say they can."

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png

If you like this banner, please feel free to add it to your signature.

QUOTE(GregF @ Oct 13 2010, 03:21 AM)

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

Do you think you have what it take to climb... Up the Carrion Stair!

Credit to Toa Zehvor MT for the banner!

Is there a problem? An alternate universe will fix it.Is there a character you want brought back from the dead? An alternate universe will fix it?Run out of places the story can take you? An alternate universe will fix it. Seriously, the first couple of times was a nice idea, but now EVERYTHING is an alternate universe, which then raises the question, how are we entirely sure the main universe IS the main universe, and not just an alternate universe that thinks it's the main universe.

Edited by The Wretched Automaton

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Well, in the actual hypothesis that the alternate universe thing is based off of, there is no "main" universe.

imo11b1ulynbq2ju7il.png

If you like this banner, please feel free to add it to your signature.

QUOTE(GregF @ Oct 13 2010, 03:21 AM)

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

Do you think you have what it take to climb... Up the Carrion Stair!

Credit to Toa Zehvor MT for the banner!

The Piraka's mutation, Karzahni's fate at the hands of Makuta, and ANYTHING with an alternate universe in it since Dark Mirror and The Kingdom. Those were all terrible. And, of course, 2010; though I understand and appreciate the story team's pressure to give us an actual ending rather than the original plan, it wasn't very satisfying at places.

"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
-- Harlan Ellison

Actually, the whole thing with the Makuta was justified (they weren't supposed to kill the Toa Nuva, remember?).

They still could have been used more in the story. It just felt like they were repeat villains, like the Piraka or Barraki. The Makuta had a lot of potential.

jlovfkk.jpg

The fact that Mazeka and Vultraz just happened to fall into an alternate universe where there were Great Being that didn't mind trading Vultraz for a good version of Teridax (whose very existence seems rather convenient, doesn't it?) seems kinda cheesy. Yeah, the non-Teridax Makuta had a lot of potential that was wasted.

If the Kanohi masks are a type of technology and most of the MU citizens are Biomechanical beings then how would a Kanohi mask recognize the difference between a Matoran and a Toa?

Muffin button

I'd also say the constant bringing back of dead characters. As I said on another topic, I'd rather Mavrah just stayed dead and the presence of Tuyet irks me slightly, as there was pretty much no build up to it beforehand, not a slight hint she was replaced or anything, just "Bam, you're wrong she's alive. How? Alternate universes".

LzcD9OS.png

I wrote stories once. They were okay.

Turning Metus back into an Agori. There was no reason for it(except for wierd fans) he deserved what he got and should have stayed that way, and it didn't help the plot at all.

"You humans are absurd, Rook. Furious when you're not in control, terrified when you are. Pull it together."

I have to go with all the alternate universes that came into the story. Now, I thought Dark Mirror was great. Same with The Kingdom, though I didn't like it as much as the former. But by the time the universe where Light-Teridax lived came into the story, I was tired of them. This being said, I actually like alternate dimension stories. I even used this plot device in some non-Bionicle stories I wrote awhile ago. I just think that this idea was used too much in the Official Storyline.

Everyone is one choice away from being the bad guy in another person's story.

pc0lX6T.png

Turning the rahaga back into Toa. Now don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the Hagah, but I felt that the actual transformation could have been given more detail, more purpose. It was just sorta like "Oh hey there's Roodaka! Change these fellas back for us, ok? Thanks." Also, I agree that pretty much all of the other makuta were underused story-wise They had so much potential...

~ Bandoo ~

I dunno. I thought the entire 2006-2008 saga was just kinda there to stretch out the story a little longer than it needed to be. '05 might have also been a spacer. And to be honest, I was genuinely excited when they stared releasing 2006 teasers. I thought to myself, "Wow, it's going to be a new island that we'll have the chance to immerse ourselves in," (this following 2005's lackluster performance). I found little to no in-world immersion (at least nothing like 2001-2003), a Piraka rap song, and a plethora of music from a Danish rock band that, while not inherently bad, didn't fit the feeling of Bionicle. Oh, and the Free the Band campaign was just blatantly in bad taste.

Annona, having all those extra Elements besides the main 6, aannndd.... IDK (haven't been back in with the storyline for a while). And i really don't mind the alternate universes thing. My Bionicle storyline kinda revolves around them. They just add a whole new level of intrigue and complexity.

Edited by Ringoster

Annona, having all those extra Elements besides the main 6, aannndd.... IDK (haven't been back in with the storyline for a while). And i really don't mind the alternate universes thing. My Bionicle storyline kinda revolves around them. They just add a whole new level of intrigue and complexity.

Without any new elements, I would find the story boring. Light was especially important to the storyline.

jlovfkk.jpg

Is there a problem? An alternate universe will fix it.Is there a character you want brought back from the dead? An alternate universe will fix it?Run out of places the story can take you? An alternate universe will fix it. Seriously, the first couple of times was a nice idea, but now EVERYTHING is an alternate universe, which then raises the question, how are we entirely sure the main universe IS the main universe, and not just an alternate universe that thinks it's the main universe.

I agree. The whole alternate universe thing became an overused gimmick to quickly get out of a literary jam. I would have liked some more creative solutions to those problems than just "oh, we'll teleport to an alternate universe now." However, Dark Mirror did have a ton of alternate universe stuff, but it was my favorite serial. But that was kind of the whole point of the serial, so I think it fit. Otherwise, it's just a cheap way to bypass writer's block. -don't touch my pocket protector

Three great comedies at one low, low price....NOTHING!

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Choose Your Own Bionicle Adventure (archived)

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Useless BZP Junk that you Must Have!!!

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

The Great Beings being capable of building an entire synthetic ecosystem from scratch. Do they build one for the Agori, who are struggling to survive in a harsh desert environment? NO! They build one for a colony of seemingly non-sentient robots in a spaceship. Granted, that one's kind of a necessity for most of the story to take place, but still...

3DS Friend Code: 0018-0767-4231

I'd have to say bringing any dead character back to life. I mean not necessarily sans-Dark Mirror, where they simply has AU counterparts, but I mean really returning a character who was just dead and there-on brought back, like Tuyet or Mavrah.. Kind of disappointing knowing their deaths didn't truly occur.

-Signature

I agree. The whole alternate universe thing became an overused gimmick to quickly get out of a literary jam. I would have liked some more creative solutions to those problems than just "oh, we'll teleport to an alternate universe now." However, Dark Mirror did have a ton of alternate universe stuff, but it was my favorite serial. But that was kind of the whole point of the serial, so I think it fit. Otherwise, it's just a cheap way to bypass writer's block. -don't touch my pocket protector
I also agree with that. I did love the Dark Mirror and the Kingdom ideas, a kind of "what if" scenario but when these Alternate Universes affected the main story, it was kinda cheap.

I'd have to say bringing any dead character back to life. I mean not necessarily sans-Dark Mirror, where they simply has AU counterparts, but I mean really returning a character who was just dead and there-on brought back, like Tuyet or Mavrah.. Kind of disappointing knowing their deaths didn't truly occur.

This. x100. -Heat

The return of dead characters is getting old, I don't see the point to Tuyet. But for me, the worst part of the Syory was Vakame's dance with darkness in 2005. It just seemed really out of character to me. A few months prior he keeps blaming himself for everything, and then suddenly his ego is the size of a planet? It doesn't add up to me.

"Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged"-Jaller(Jala) :smilejala: 
"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

9B586E38-224D-4703-8EE3-5A0AC1CB8344.png.4f8ec6246a5ad7273e1c0d55cb15537e.png
Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

The Golden Armour. It's nice of LEGO to give us an attempt at wrapping up the story, but the Armour felt less like a plot device and more like a particularly cheesy brand of Deux ex machina meets annoying marketing gimmick.

"Only the insane equate pain with success.

Only the savage regard endurance of pain as a measure of worth.

Only the foolish consider pain to be just wages for being different".- The Cheshire Cat (American McGee's Alice/Alice:Madness Returns)

The whole Hordika story was just a waste of a year.

I totally disagree. The darkness and treachery behind that story made it one of my favorite years. The way that it was pulled off felt far from inelegant to me. However, the concept of the toa constantly changing from one form to other is kind of inelegant, and purely designed to sell toys. But you could complain about that for virtually every year, not just 2005. -don't touch my pocket protector

Three late-middle age matoran think of something they want to do before they kick the bucket.

Navigate your way through a myriad of meaningless choices as you try to not make a fool of yourself in perhaps the only comedy ever written almost entirely in spoiler tags.

Get to your phone, whip out your credit card, and prepare to buy some useless BZPower related junk that has no benefit on society except that you want it!!!

joehalobanner.jpg

2010 on. The Makuta were completely underused and had much more potential, and since then the focus has shifted to characters we don't care about on Bara Magna and AU spinoffs that, again, cheat our sense of familiarity with the characters. And certain explanations don't pay off, like, say, The Red Star. The only 2010 moment that to me has payed off so far is the appearance of Artahka.

The Golden Armour. It's nice of LEGO to give us an attempt at wrapping up the story, but the Armour felt less like a plot device and more like a particularly cheesy brand of Deux ex machina meets annoying marketing gimmick.

There were a lot of deus ex machina in Bionicle. The Mask of Light, the Mask of Dimensional Gates *cough* the Mask of Life, Hali's Mask (which wasn't even used in the plot), and probably half a dozen more...oh, wait, that huge giant robot lying out there in the desert that Mata Nui just happened to find.

I fully agree; however, it's nice to know what actually happened to Mavrah. What really ticked me off was the re-emergence of Tuyet. To me, the revelation that she was alive quite detracted from the overall story, especially the elegant ending of "The Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet." The fact that this was achieved through an alternate universe, of which the over-use is another pet peeve of mine (along with other members'), seems to make it worse.At least the story seems to be getting better...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/sprxtrerme/BANNERS/thornax.swf

If you're severely addicted to copying and pasting things into your signature, copy and paste this into your signature.

Then call rehab.

The fact that the Toa Metru could sail straight through the Great Barrier and somehow end up above Metru Nui....Also the Makuta/Mata Nui robot foot door.

Well, that actually makes some sense because the rise up from Metru-Nui to the island of Mata-Nui was probably some sort of gradual inclined plane, it wasn't like they were sailing directly up. The foot door just cracks me up. There just happens to be a door right where you need it. That was just sloppy. -don't touch my pocket protector

joehalobanner.jpg

Can I just say all of the 2010-onward story? I understand why it's that way, but it really is an "inelegant" ending to the story, what with a horribly truncated finale and all-but abandoned serials.

Adding to my prior comments; this point. If I can will myself to write a chapter of my current Bionicle story a week, while keeping up with my collage work; I think at least one of the serials could still be updated every month. I need to know who the Great Being is, especially since my only guess of Kapura was rejected.

"Danger is the anvil on which trust is forged"-Jaller(Jala) :smilejala: 
"We're on our own here-like we've always been-and we'll stand or fall on our own"-Tanma
"He may seem slow and strange to you, but his simple words often carry a hidden wisdom"-Turaga Vakama on Kapura

9B586E38-224D-4703-8EE3-5A0AC1CB8344.png.4f8ec6246a5ad7273e1c0d55cb15537e.png
Kanohi: Stories of a Matoran Vigilante The Impact of a Rebirth: a Kanohi Fanfic The Willing Exiles: a Kanohi Fanfic SKA PC Profiles: Kanohi, Collector, Mahrika Kardaka BZPRPG Profiles Avatar by @Harvali 

No year dissapointed me, except for 2010 (and that was only set-wise). Personally, though, the whole Bohrok Kal wasn't very well done. We just got these cool new Toa Nuva, and what is their first threat? They lose their powers. I would at least expect for them to somehow defeat the Bohrok Kal, but no, that's not what happens. Instead, the Kal kill themselves by overusing the Toa Nuva's power.