Lego Architecture Discussion

Meiko

I'm sure that everybody has seen at least a few LEGO Architecture sets, and I'm pretty sure that some people here have a couple of the sets. I personally like and enjoy the sets, for the fun build, interesting features, accuracy, and the feeling of being able to display the set without any controversy of any means. I only have one, that being the Sears Tower, but I hope I get the opportunity to get more. I am especially interested in getting Brandenburg Gate, because I see that it is a really high-quality set, and has very fine accuracy. I have read several good reviews about it as well, and I like that it is a landmark outside of the United States. Has anybody gotten any LEGO Architecture sets, and if so, do you like them?

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

LUG Ambassador and administrator at Brickipedia

News reporter and database administrator at Brickset

Administrator at BIONICLEsector01

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

A lot of people say that it is a price issue for them, and I can see where they're coming from when they say that. I also see it differently though; I see that with the very detailed, accurate set, there is a lot that comes in those boxes. The instructions are very high quality, and include a lot of nice useful information. I like that the instruction booklets include a very detailed description of the history and process of building the landmark, and a lot of architectural details about the building or monument. The printed tile that displays the name of the model is also a nice feature, and I was amazed when I found out that the Brandenburg Gate set has two nameplates—one in English, and one in German. The price I can say is a bit high on some of them, but in all, they are all worth it in my opinion.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

DISCLAIMER: All opinions and contributions made under this account are based solely on my own personal thoughts and opinions, and in no way represent any of the above groups/entities. If you have any concerns or inquiries about the contributions made under this account, please contact me individually and I will address them with you to the best of my ability.

I bought Fallingwater last year and it is not only an amazing piece of architecture but also an amazing resource of versatile pieces for system-mocs.

Yeah, that one is one that not only I, but my whole family has been interested in. It's a great set, and as you said, a great piece of architecture. I don't think I'd be able to easily afford Fallingwater though, but it's not out of my interest in any bit. I also would like to visit Fallingwater sometime, but I don't know when that would happen. :P

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I'm currently the proud owner of the Sears Tower, Space Needle, Empire State Building, and the White House. I do have my eye on the Burg Khalifka, though. What I really want from that line is a model of the World Trade Center. But if they never do it, I do have a MOC of them in Architecture style to serve as a replacement.

Your Honor, I Plead the Fifth.

I really need to handle my signature problems better.

What I really want from that line is a model of the World Trade Center. But if they never do it, I do have a MOC of them in Architecture style to serve as a replacement.

The problem is it wouldn't be much of a set, unless the did the bronze globe that sat between the towers. Also, it may cause some controversy and possibly stress to those who suffered or know somebody who experienced it. It would be a nice MOC idea, and would probably be better that way.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I sincerely think LEGO Architecture is a brilliant concept for both as a theme and for MOCs. I would like to see some more global representation within the theme, as most of the Architecture sets have been of American landmarks, and it would most certainly be nice to see the line go more global (I personally would like to see some Asian and more European landmarks done). I am not too fond of the skyscrapers such as the Empire State Building or the Sears Tower. This is not to discredit the sheer wonderment of these buildings, but because I don't think they're particularly fascinating to render in LEGO at the scale it was designed in. Aside from the high quality packaging and a novelty printed tile, they pretty much can be built even with bricks from a small collection. I believe it would have been more appropriate to render those buildings at a larger scale, although I would imagine that the price would skyrocket as a result. My current favorite, which likely won't change, remains the Fallingwater replica. Architecturally it is a beautiful building, and despite LEGO elements being geometric, I feel that the organic nature of the building was rendered quite beautifully at the scale it was designed in. The value of the set as a parts pack is also unquestionable, but frankly I adore the set too much to have the heart and will to take it apart!

Rahkshi8000

I personally would like to see some Asian and more European landmarks done.

I would also like to see some Asian architecture sets. A pagoda would be pretty nice but they'd have to find a specific one for it to fit in the theme. It'd also be difficult to do the slanted roof for a pagoda, but I'd love to see it done! Also, Brandenburg Gate is a European landmark that I find very worthwhile!

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

Currently I only own the Empire State Building, I'd like to see the Petronas Towers though. I like the look of Fallingwater and the Robie House but I find them a bit expensive.

Yeah, the Petronas Towers would be pretty sweet. :D Fallingwater is a bit expensive, and I would have thought that the price would be lowering a bit by now. The Robie House is also a bit expensive, but that one is pretty accurate (Fallingwater was accurate too, but I think the price should go down a bit after this amount of time). The Robie House is also much bigger than I originally expected, and when I saw the detail at a LEGO Brand Store, I was so tempted to buy it.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

My dad and I are interesting in buying one. Which one would you reccommend?

If you are going for a lower price, I'd recommend Burj Khalifa, the Seattle Space Needle, or the Sears Tower (they are all pretty cool, and unique. The Empire State Building is also nice.). If you are going for a higher price, but great display-quality, then I'd say Brandenburg Gate or the Robie House.Fallingwater makes a great mantelpiece though, if you are willing to pay that high of a price.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I like the idea in general, but again price is a bit of an issue. Also, although some contain some nice parts, I see these sets as more of a display piece; after all, there's not much play value in a mini skyscraper. :P I myself only have the Space Needle, which is awesome. Some of the other cheaper sets have been kind of boring in design (ooh, they stacked up bricks really high) but some of the more expensive ones have turned out really nicely. :music:

I'd like to see a bridge of some sort built in LEGO Architecture. That'd make a great set.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick

I've been building all of the Architecture sets on LEGO Digital Designer. I'm impressed with a lot of them, especially the Robie House, the White House, Brandenburg Gate, and the Seattle Space Needle.

--

Meiko - @georgebarnick