Official How To Make Comics Topic

Reznas

Just thought everyone here would like to know this- GIMP 2.8.6 is up now!

2.8.6 has a new bug for bold and/or italic text.One of the fixes was to make GIMP do something reasonable (not crash) when attempting to use an unavailable font. In the process, it looks like they are now treating italic and bold for fonts without explicit italic and bold font files as unavailable fonts, so it doesn't generate bold or italic text for those fonts now. Since most of the comic fonts I use don't have explicit bold and italic definitions, this kills it for me.I can't tell if the text bug that bothered me with 2.8.2 and 2.8.4 is still there (clipping bold and italic text), because the fonts that I tested this with won't generate the bold or italic text using 2.8.6. I doubt it's fixed, since the bug is misclassified and the report is basically buried.So, once again, I've re-installed 2.8.0.

snowballs_c.gif

lhh2.gif

hey can i get some help i cant recolor my masks with chimoru six shade

If you're using GIMP, take the color you want to change the mask to. Take your color picker and select the lightest shade. Then take your select by color tool, and select the lightest shade on your mask. All you have to do now, is fill in the selection with the color you selected with your color picker. You can do this by clicking "Edit/Fill with BG color" (or FG, depending on where your selected color is), or by pressing "Ctrl + Comma" or "Ctrl + Period". I can't remember which, but it should be easy to figure out.

If you're using Paint, Dark709 created a wonderful guide to recoloring right here:

improved_instructions.png

If you're using any other program, there should be similar steps to recoloring.

-Rez

If you're using GIMP, take the color you want to change the mask to. Take your color picker and select the lightest shade. Then take your select by color tool, and select the lightest shade on your mask. All you have to do now, is fill in the selection with the color you selected with your color picker. You can do this by clicking "Edit/Fill with BG color" (or FG, depending on where your selected color is), or by pressing "Ctrl + Comma" or "Ctrl + Period". I can't remember which, but it should be easy to figure out. If you're using Paint, Dark709 created a wonderful guide to recoloring right here: improved_instructions.png If you're using any other program, there should be similar steps to recoloring. -Rez
Yeah I use paint I can recoil or the body but not the masks mayby it's a glitch? Edited by TAHU2014

:voyanui:

If you're using GIMP, take the color you want to change the mask to. Take your color picker and select the lightest shade. Then take your select by color tool, and select the lightest shade on your mask. All you have to do now, is fill in the selection with the color you selected with your color picker. You can do this by clicking "Edit/Fill with BG color" (or FG, depending on where your selected color is), or by pressing "Ctrl + Comma" or "Ctrl + Period". I can't remember which, but it should be easy to figure out. If you're using Paint, Dark709 created a wonderful guide to recoloring right here: improved_instructions.png If you're using any other program, there should be similar steps to recoloring. -Rez
Yeah I use paint I can recoil or the body but not the masks mayby it's a glitch?

Nope. Not a glitch. Perhaps I could see what you're trying to recolor and I can show you the problem.

Are you completely sure that you selected the correct base color, as well as the correct replacement color? Also check that you have the correct color set to Foreground, as well as the correct color set to Background. Otherwise the process will not work.

-Rez

• 2 weeks later...

Are you completely sure that you selected the correct base color, as well as the correct replacement color? Also check that you have the correct color set to Foreground, as well as the correct color set to Background. Otherwise the process will not work. -Rez

Hey never mind I found out how to do it Rez I have a question in the chimoru sixshade kit it says you need darks perm to use the expressions What's the deal with that? And the person titled "mine" keeps showing up who is that? Edited by TAHU2014

Are you completely sure that you selected the correct base color, as well as the correct replacement color? Also check that you have the correct color set to Foreground, as well as the correct color set to Background. Otherwise the process will not work. -Rez

Hey never mind I found out how to do itRez I have a question in the chimoru sixshade kit it says you need darks perm to use the expressionsWhat's the deal with that? And the person titled "mine" keeps showing up who is that?

Considering he has not shown up on BZP since the downtime, just make sure to give appropriate credit to him for the expressions. You're allowed to use them, just make sure you credit them. As for "mine", the Six-Shade Kit was primarily created by Gerlicky, although his name has probably been changed by now. When you see "mine" it's probably just Gerlicky telling people he created that specific part of the kit.

-Rez

Edited by -Reznas-

Hey never mind I found out how to do itRez I have a question in the chimoru sixshade kit it says you need darks perm to use the expressionsWhat's the deal with that? And the person titled "mine" keeps showing up who is that?

Considering he has not shown up on BZP since the downtime, just make sure to give appropriate credit to him for the expressions. You're allowed to use them, just make sure you credit them. As for "mine", the Six-Shade Kit was primarily created by Gerlicky, although his name has probably been changed by now. When you see "mine" it's probably just Gerlicky telling people he created that specific part of the kit.

-Rez

hey thanks i got a bit confused :dazed: didnt want anybody to get upset ill remember to give credit :bigsmile: and if i decide to use chimoru R kit can those eyes mouth things be used with it? and whats the ICC and UCS?

Edited by TAHU2014

-Rez

hey thanks i got a bit confused :dazed: didnt want anybody to get upset ill remember to give credit :bigsmile: and if i decide to use chimoru R kit can those eyes mouth things be used with it? and whats the ICC and UCS?

Just give proper credit to the creators of whatever kit you choose to use and you should be fine. You can miss and match kits or whatever you would like. Just remember to credit those who contributed to the things you use.

Those are 'continuities', groups, formations, whatever of comic makers/friends/acquaintances who just choose to create specific comics together or work together in some way, shape, or form.

~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

-Rez

Those are 'continuities', groups, formations, whatever of comic makers/friends/acquaintances who just choose to create specific comics together or work together in some way, shape, or form.

Like a square.

JK.

• 5 months later...

So, does anyone know of a good place to get comic book font? Like the stuff used for sound effects like "POW" "ZAP" and "KRA-KOOM." Also, is there a portable download of GIMP anywhere, so I can put it on my flash drive? I'm not at my computer as much as I used to be.

Google some font websites and there will most likely be a "comics" style category somewhere on the sites. If you can't find anything that way, just Google "comic fonts" or something along those lines. If you have to resort to the latter, make sure you're downloading from a reliable source. This could be the case for the former suggestion as well, but as long as you stick with links off the first search results page, most of the sources should be reliable.

As for a portable version, I don't believe there is one, but you can always copy the program over onto your flash drive (copying the core files). It's not a huge program, so it shouldn't take long to upload them onto your flash drive--especially if you zip the files into a zipped folder or compress them into a .rar file.

-Rez

So, does anyone know of a good place to get comic book font? Like the stuff used for sound effects like "POW" "ZAP" and "KRA-KOOM." Also, is there a portable download of GIMP anywhere, so I can put it on my flash drive? I'm not at my computer as much as I used to be.

One of the best places to find fonts that I like to use is "dafont.com". If I'm not allowed to post websites then just type "dafont" in any search engine and it should pop up. All the fonts are free and organized. As for the Gimp thing, not sure to be honest. Never thought about it.

~Soran

soran_banner_1_by_soarinskies-d9ibpyf.pngsoran_banner_2_by_soarinskies-d9ibq3p.pngsoran_banner_3_by_soarinskies-d9ibq87.pngsoran_banner_4_by_soarinskies-d9ibqcq.png

One of the best places to find fonts that I like to use is "dafont.com". If I'm not allowed to post websites then just type "dafont" in any search engine and it should pop up. All the fonts are free and organized. As for the Gimp thing, not sure to be honest. Never thought about it.

~Soran

What he said. Some common ones are Lafayette Pro, Anime Ace, and Garfield.

• 2 months later...

So in the big Razor kit, I'm credited(with my old username, LinkInBetween) for Karzahni and female toa armor, but I made three other things too that I see in there. I made the Zatth(I am not proud of that one though), the Arthron(not proud of this one either, but at least it doesn't suck 100%) and what I am proud of which isn't credited, I did Krakua in razor. It doesn't seem that the links are on your brickshelf/majhost so I don't know if anything can be done about that, but I'm pointing it out anyways.

So in the big Razor kit, I'm credited(with my old username, LinkInBetween) for Karzahni and female toa armor, but I made three other things too that I see in there. I made the Zatth(I am not proud of that one though), the Arthron(not proud of this one either, but at least it doesn't suck 100%) and what I am proud of which isn't credited, I did Krakua in razor. It doesn't seem that the links are on your brickshelf/majhost so I don't know if anything can be done about that, but I'm pointing it out anyways.

If you'd like, I can add any necessary credit. I'll download the spritesheet and add your name to each designated part you mentioned.

-Rez

EDIT: Here is the edited spritesheet. It will be posted in the main thread. As for Krakua, it credits someone else for it. Is it possible that there are two versions? Or did you specifically create the Krakua in this Razor spritesheet?

Edited by Reznas

If you'd like, I can add any necessary credit. I'll download the spritesheet and add your name to each designated part you mentioned.

-Rez

EDIT: Here is the edited spritesheet. It will be posted in the main thread. As for Krakua, it credits someone else for it. Is it possible that there are two versions? Or did you specifically create the Krakua in this Razor spritesheet?

*Facepalms*

I missed that Krakua was credited, that's another one of my usernames from when I wad really into Death Note... So Krakua is credited for, maybe my usernames makes it confusing, even for me. But thanks for crediting me for the Zatth and Arthron, I feel special knowing I contributed to that collection without knowing, I made those sprites years ago when I was nobody, I still am, but now my name is in one of the kits linked to in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Okay, this has been bugging me for a while. Whenever I try to rotate my sprites to something other than 90 degrees, they end up coming out blurry. I've seen people use rotated sprites that are nice and clean, and I was wondering if any of you could tell me how to do that.

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

Change your interpolation to either none, or whatever you like best. A couple of the interpolation settings might work, it's really just your preference.

-Rez

Thanks! This did get rid of the blur, but the end result ends up looking really warped. Is there any way to fix that?

"Whether that is right or not...I also...as a Rider...have a wish that I want to fulfill."

Change your interpolation to either none, or whatever you like best. A couple of the interpolation settings might work, it's really just your preference.

-Rez

Thanks! This did get rid of the blur, but the end result ends up looking really warped. Is there any way to fix that?

Which interpolation setting did you use?

-Rez

-Rez

Which interpolation setting did you use?

-Rez

I used 'None'. What I mean by 'warped' is that it less rotates the sprite, and more moves around the pixels as if the sprite was being drawn at an angle, making it look really awkward.

Try a couple different settings? None might not always be ideal. It depends at the angle you rotate at. Simple rotations, like 90 degree rotations, should work perfectly with an interpolation set at none. But other rotations might work better with, for example, bicubic interpolation.

-Rez

KFP: There are multiple ways to properly rotate a sprite in GIMP If you have a background I might suggest you set your interpolation to cubic. That's what I usually do. However, if you wish to resize in GIMP Then set the interpolation to none. Try not rotate and then resize. It usually ends up blurred when you do that.

I've tried all the settings. The image still keeps coming out extremely warped. For instance, before and after. Please not that these are examples, and not the sprite and background I am actually trying to use.

Well, you tend to get a bit of warping occasionally, especially from viewing angles like that (i.e. not 90 degrees, or 180 degrees, etc.). How does it look when you zoom out? Because when it's zoomed in so much, it gets pixelated, and you notice the warping. But from a distance, which is how it will look in comics, it may look different.

-Rez

I've tried all the settings. The image still keeps coming out extremely warped. For instance, before and after. Please not that these are examples, and not the sprite and background I am actually trying to use.

Well, you tend to get a bit of warping occasionally, especially from viewing angles like that (i.e. not 90 degrees, or 180 degrees, etc.). How does it look when you zoom out? Because when it's zoomed in so much, it gets pixelated, and you notice the warping. But from a distance, which is how it will look in comics, it may look different.

-Rez

This is true. If that doesn't work try the interpolation set on cubic.

-Rez

Okay, I tried this out and it does look decent from a distance. Not perfect, but more than serviceable. Thanks for the help!

-Rez

Okay, I tried this out and it does look decent from a distance. Not perfect, but more than serviceable. Thanks for the help!
Any time!

• 5 weeks later...

Not that I know of. I'm sure you could give it a try. All you would have to do is take the sprite, copy it twice, take the first copy and convert it to red, offsetting it by "x" pixels and take the second copy and convert it to cyan, offsetting it by "x" pixels.

-Rez

• 3 months later...

I want to make Photo comics, but I'm not sure how to get all the photos together like an actual comic strip or put the text over the pictures. Microsoft Word isn't going to be a good way to make comics, after all.

There are a myriad of options, but the programs that come to mind are Microsoft Paint (native to all Windows computers), GIMP and Photshop. You can find a guide to GIMP right here, in the GIMP Help Topic.

As for Paint, it's fairly intuitive. If you're just starting out, I'd recommend learning the basics of Paint before moving on to GIMP or Photoshop.

Photoshop is pretty advanced. It's very similar to GIMP, but with more bells and whistles.

If you check out some of the guides in the GIMP Help Topic I linked to, as well as the ones in this topic, you might be able to get a general idea of how to go about comic making. If you're going to make photo comics, it really just comes down to resizing images in panel format, and then adding text.

Note to everyone: I plan on remaking the guides in this topic, as well as in the GIMP Help Topic in the near future, so stay tuned! :)

-Rez

I want to make Photo comics, but I'm not sure how to get all the photos together like an actual comic strip or put the text over the pictures. Microsoft Word isn't going to be a good way to make comics, after all.

There are a myriad of options, but the programs that come to mind are Microsoft Paint (native to all Windows computers), GIMP and Photshop. You can find a guide to GIMP right here, in the GIMP Help Topic.

As for Paint, it's fairly intuitive. If you're just starting out, I'd recommend learning the basics of Paint before moving on to GIMP or Photoshop.

Photoshop is pretty advanced. It's very similar to GIMP, but with more bells and whistles.

If you check out some of the guides in the GIMP Help Topic I linked to, as well as the ones in this topic, you might be able to get a general idea of how to go about comic making. If you're going to make photo comics, it really just comes down to resizing images in panel format, and then adding text.

Note to everyone: I plan on remaking the guides in this topic, as well as in the GIMP Help Topic in the near future, so stay tuned! :)

-Rez

Thanks, I think I'll use GIMP. I have photoshop and I've never been able to make anything good or even mediocre for that matter.

• Upvote 1

I HATE SCORPIOS

~Pohatu Master of Stone, 2015

-Rez

Thanks, I think I'll use GIMP. I have photoshop and I've never been able to make anything good or even mediocre for that matter.

Did somebody say Photoshop? 

I'm studying Graphic Design, and I use Photoshop all the time! 

Maybe I could help you out? :)

• Upvote 1