Library Summer Olympics 2012

Hahli Husky

Also, I think we should have a name for our team and/or epic. Suggestions, anyone? For team, I suggest Team Extempore, for the following reasons: 1) we are extempore; 2) three of our four team members have the letter 'x' in their respective names. (Although that does leave out Emissary to the Void, which is a drawback.)I am confident those extremely sound arguments will convince you all. But I'm definitely accepting other ideas.For epic names, well, I'm not sure. Sometimes it's a little hard to pin down the theme of this story. Death to the Toa Nuva? Kingdom of the Toa? Perhaps some variant on one of those?
Team Extempore and Death to the Toa Nuva, definitely! ^_^-Void

[ BZPRPG ]

Also, I think we should have a name for our team and/or epic. Suggestions, anyone? For team, I suggest Team Extempore, for the following reasons: 1) we are extempore; 2) three of our four team members have the letter 'x' in their respective names. (Although that does leave out Emissary to the Void, which is a drawback.)I am confident those extremely sound arguments will convince you all. But I'm definitely accepting other ideas.For epic names, well, I'm not sure. Sometimes it's a little hard to pin down the theme of this story. Death to the Toa Nuva? Kingdom of the Toa? Perhaps some variant on one of those?
Cool! Hopefully xccj and Zaxvo will weigh in on this too.Looking forward to discussing our story in the review topic!-Excelsior Extemporean?

bannerwithstrangedevicesmall.jpg

My writings:

The Toa Ekara - Visions A short story. Ga-Koro Mobs My entry for the LSO Comedies Contest. Team Extempore's entry for the LSO Epics Contest

Review topics are up and judging is underway! You guys are welcome to plot epic names and start collaborating and reviewing.The Short Stories contest will be up this weekend Monday or Tuesday, sorry. Look forward to it, and good luck, everyone!

Edited by Hahli Husky

Cool! Hopefully xccj and Zaxvo will weigh in on this too.Looking forward to discussing our story in the review topic!-Excelsior Extemporean?
I like the team name, definitely. And while I like the title, I feel that since the story isn't finished yet, and none of us knows for sure where the plot will lead (well, I guess we could NOW, but not back then) picking a title limits us creatively; we'd have to stick to that title. Imagine if we had named it something like "Do you Trust Me?" then anything after Excelsior's latest chapter instantly goes off track.I like Death to the Toa Nuva, but at the same time, we've killed off the principal source of that threat. What more is there left to write if we stay to that? If we take it, I woud actually suggest ending the story were Excelsior left off, but that leaves a great big plot thread hanging. Sequel perhaps? If we could get approval? Or maybe "split" the epic into two parts, similar to Lord of the Rings, and name part 1 Death to the Toa Nuva and then just continue with a part two?All of this indecision comes from the fact that I simply don't know where we're going from here and how far we're going from here. I think that the title should reflect the story as a whole, and if we don't know what the story as a whole will encompass, perhaps waiting until we're done to name it would be wisest. With that said, should xccj agree with you two, then I'd be outvoted, and like I said, I actually like that title, so I wouldn't mind at all.

{Z}

Oh hey there's a discussion in here!Yes for Team Extempore, but I'm not all for Death to the Toa Nuva. After all, half the deaths appeared off screen, whereas the titles seems to suggest that it will involve all of the Nuva. I wouldn't mind something involving "Do you trust me" or "Firework Revolver" since we've kept those themes for most of the story, but something that draws focus to the current post-Onua plot, rather than the overall thing against the Nuva.And hey, review topics! Cool. Can't wait to see what the judges think, cause there were certainly some different story styles this time around. Also, can't wait to see what the short story portion brings. :):music:

Let me reiterate: you guys don't need permission from me to do pretty much anything with your stories now. The only reason I am presiding over them until judging is done is because it's a contest. If you want to make a sequel, you don't need my approval. If you want to collaborate, no approval needed. Add more writers? No approval needed. Drop out of writing? Do what you like, it's of no concern to me. XD

I like the team name, definitely. And while I like the title, I feel that since the story isn't finished yet, and none of us knows for sure where the plot will lead (well, I guess we could NOW, but not back then) picking a title limits us creatively; we'd have to stick to that title. Imagine if we had named it something like "Do you Trust Me?" then anything after Excelsior's latest chapter instantly goes off track.I like Death to the Toa Nuva, but at the same time, we've killed off the principal source of that threat. What more is there left to write if we stay to that? If we take it, I woud actually suggest ending the story were Excelsior left off, but that leaves a great big plot thread hanging. Sequel perhaps? If we could get approval? Or maybe "split" the epic into two parts, similar to Lord of the Rings, and name part 1 Death to the Toa Nuva and then just continue with a part two?All of this indecision comes from the fact that I simply don't know where we're going from here and how far we're going from here. I think that the title should reflect the story as a whole, and if we don't know what the story as a whole will encompass, perhaps waiting until we're done to name it would be wisest.With that said, should xccj agree with you two, then I'd be outvoted, and like I said, I actually like that title, so I wouldn't mind at all.
Oh hey there's a discussion in here!Yes for Team Extempore, but I'm not all for Death to the Toa Nuva. After all, half the deaths appeared off screen, whereas the titles seems to suggest that it will involve all of the Nuva. I wouldn't mind something involving "Do you trust me" or "Firework Revolver" since we've kept those themes for most of the story, but something that draws focus to the current post-Onua plot, rather than the overall thing against the Nuva.And hey, review topics! Cool. Can't wait to see what the judges think, cause there were certainly some different story styles this time around. Also, can't wait to see what the short story portion brings. :) :music:
Okay, so we're all agreed on Team Extempore. Cool.For the title, I wasn't really thinking about continuing it (which does not mean I don't want to - I do). I think right now, we should be picking a title based on the story in its current form, rather than taking into account future story potential. I really want a title for the story we're entering. Actually, I like Zaxvo's idea of continuing it in sequel form. (Though I'm open to a normal continuation also.)But I do agree now that "Death to the Toa Nuva" probably isn't the best title, even for what's written so far. "Do You Trust Me?" doesn't seem quite central enough either, though, especially since we never figured out the exact significance of that question. (If there was any.) "Fireworks Revolver" - I personally like titles with a slightly less specific meaning. Ideally, I think they should say something about the theme of the story, as opposed to just naming an element of it."Kingdom of the Toa" could have been a good title, but it focuses on themes that never quite made their way into the story. They were just things I was thinking about - possibly they would be expanded on in the continuation, but I think they're the kind of things that need all the authors to be working on.So what is the central theme of this story? Does it have one?Let me see - a group of people, most prominently Kopaka and Lewa, seek to uncover and neutralize a threat, originally to the Toa Nuva but expanding to cover the entire world.Hey, how about "Obstacles"?Death to the Toa Nuva For: Emissary. Against: Zaxvo + xccj. Flip-flopped: Me.Kingdom of the Toa For: No oneDo You Trust Me? For: xccj. Against: Me.Fireworks Revolver For: xccj. Against: MeObstacles For: Me, if you guys like it.Any other ideas/input?Well, since we're all agreed on my "Team Extempore" suggestion, I guess I'll PM Hahli Husky about it.Hopefully I'll be posting in the review topic later today. It'll be interesting to compare notes on our respective chapters.-Excelsior Extempore

bannerwithstrangedevicesmall.jpg

My writings:

The Toa Ekara - Visions A short story. Ga-Koro Mobs My entry for the LSO Comedies Contest. Team Extempore's entry for the LSO Epics Contest

Oooh, this one is going to be difficult for me. I've never written, or even had much interest in, stories having to do with BZ-Koro, so we'll see how mine turns out (if I manage to finish it, that is :P). Regardless, I'll be trying my best. Good luck to all the other writers!(also well done on all these brilliant themes HH these have been like the best BZP contests evarrr~)

Short Stories event is live! Also, Epics prizes have been decided on (rather lately, of course!) Each Gold Medalist (first place team member) will receive a custom member title and their choice of either an orange Kanohi Vahi or two random metallic silver and gold Great Kanohi! The masks were donated by my adoring husband, Janus! Epics judging is currently underway and results should be up on Sunday. :)Also thanks to everyone who's participating, judging, just having a great time, etc. It's really super encouraging to know people are enjoying themselves!

Edited by Hahli Husky

Oh, I got something fun for this one.Question--does our plot have to at all correlate with the canon? For example, can I talk about the origins of species whose origins are already canonized and totally different than the ones I'm coming up?

Edited by Riisiing Moon

"I admire your style, which is colorful, if monochromatic."

Oh, I got something fun for this one.Question--does our plot have to at all correlate with the canon? For example, can I talk about the origins of species whose origins are already canonized and totally different than the ones I'm coming up?
It can be completely canon, or not a bit canon, or part canon and part non-canon. Whatever you like.

I have a (very foolish) question: Are we allowed to use original characters in these stories?
From the first page:
You are welcome to include as much or as little Bionicle lore as you wish; for instance, canon Bionicle characters, locations, and events can be included, and members can be Matoran, Toa, Dark Hunters, etc. Or they can just be humans. Or a mix of the two! You can write yourself and your BZPower friends into your story, or popular members, or both. Whatever you like.
I'm pretty sure original characters are fine. :)

I have a (very foolish) question: Are we allowed to use original characters in these stories?
From the first page:
You are welcome to include as much or as little Bionicle lore as you wish; for instance, canon Bionicle characters, locations, and events can be included, and members can be Matoran, Toa, Dark Hunters, etc. Or they can just be humans. Or a mix of the two! You can write yourself and your BZPower friends into your story, or popular members, or both. Whatever you like.
I'm pretty sure original characters are fine. :)
Exactly so. :biggrin:Contest results have been posted!Team Two's entry was checked for possible continuity errors before judging. I didn't notice anything outstanding, and from the judges' comments, it did not seem to affect the outcome. But thank you to dotcom for bringing it to my attention. Edited by Hahli Husky

As I said in the Ambage chat, "brb, warm and fuzzy feeling." Tons of thanks to my awesome teammates, and congrats to the other teams as well!

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I really and honestly enjoyed reading each of these stories, it was awesome to see how they came together from that one opening line from HH =D Team 3, sincere congratulations on a well deserved victory.

(disclaimer: none of this banner art is original, I just smooshed it together in gimp. Torchic, Matau)
ThosePeskyFirespitters.png.3dbdb65e6a28cbbc5957d81c09a685b6.png
Those pesky firespitters... 
Library | The Sculptors and the Smelters | The Ternion Review Topic 

Well, congrats ot the winning team! It certainly was a very well-writte story, even if the plot had fewer events happen than the other epics.As for my own group, second place is pretty nice, I'd say. Pleased with that, as this was my first epics contest entered on BZP.~B~

@Epics Results: Well, wow, sorta didn't expect that, but I'll take it. It was fun, anyways, and a big congratulations to Teams Three (and Four and Two!). They were all very well written, and I enjoyed reading them. As for the short stories event, I've got a couple of ideas, for COT version, I might get something written. Still wracking my brains for some inspiration about BZKoro.

{Z}

So, if the BZ-Koro story contains only humans, it must go in the CoT topic, right? I've seen a few BZP-only stories in the Library, so admittedly the line is blurry.
It wouldn't go in COT. Stories about BZPower and its members have always belonged in the Library, even if they contained little to no Bionicle elements. This is just something that goes way back into Library history.

So I said to myself--because I talk to myself often--"I'll probably enter the CoT portion of this contest, I don't have any good ideas for the other." So I'm sitting around, drawing a blank on CoT ideas, when all in an instant I get an awesome idea for the BIONICLE theme and it's written within the hour. Go figure.Nuile: Lunatic WordsmithThe Twilight Game

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

I don't think I'll be entering the Short Story part, but wanted to say how it would be really awesome if someone were to include in their story a random Matoran with anger issues to represent Than. :P~B~
Interestingly enough, Than actually makes an appearance in my SS LSO entry. He's a pretty level-headed character. :P

I don't think I'll be entering the Short Story part, but wanted to say how it would be really awesome if someone were to include in their story a random Matoran with anger issues to represent Than. :P~B~
Interestingly enough, Than actually makes an appearance in my SS LSO entry. He's a pretty level-headed character. :P
Yes, I saw that when I went through your story, but that was Than the Moa. I meant taking the whole Matoran of Anger part in the most literal sense.~B~

Name: Jedi GaliStory: Microscopes to TelescopesWow, it feels bizarre to be entering a contest.... I haven't done this in years. Best of luck to all! :):kaukau: -JG

toaofthenewrepublicv2jx3.gif

Toa of the New Republic ~ The Collision of Two Worlds

The body of Orkham dangling from a vine. Shamiir’s corpse, his chest nearly split in half. One by one, the bodies of his friends and squad mates flashed by till he realized the horrible truth... They were all dead but two.