Library Summer Olympics 2012

Hahli Husky

Oh, hey, didn't realize it was canon characters only. That's a little disappointing, but I suppose it makes sense for keeping the stories more unified, without authors pushing their own characters into the plot excessively.Can we change storyline events from canon, though? Say, killing off a character who lived, letting a character who died live instead, etc? I'm hoping things like this are okay, as otherwise writing will be quite restricted overall.~B~

Comedies contest results are up!

Can we change storyline events from canon, though? Say, killing off a character who lived, letting a character who died live instead, etc? I'm hoping things like this are okay, as otherwise writing will be quite restricted overall.
Yes, you can totally deviate off the canon story path. It can include as much or as little canon as you like. :)
I have a quick question. What is the time limit for editing ones epic chapter? (For something like grammar or spelling mistakes, for example.)
Hmmm, I didn't think about that. Since this whole time is an entry period, let's just say chapters can be edited until July 24th when I close the topics. Edited by Hahli Husky

I was wondering, do we have to number or title each chapter? I'm guessing the numbering would be recommended for convenience, but the titling would be up to us?
Numbering each chapter would be good; creating a title is not necessary.
Question...the prompt only applies to the first member on our team, right? So after they post their opening chapter, we don't need to worry about it again?
Right -- prompt only applies to the first person.newso1.png

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I'm a bit confused about the end date for the Epics event. At one point in the OP, it says that the Epics event ends on the 18th, while at another point it says the 24th. On which one does it actually end?~B~

I'm a bit confused about the end date for the Epics event. At one point in the OP, it says that the Epics event ends on the 18th, while at another point it says the 24th. On which one does it actually end?~B~
It's because I originally planned for it to end on the 18th, but then decided it should be the 24th. Apparently I forgot to edit it everywhere, oops.

It's because I originally planned for it to end on the 18th, but then decided it should be the 24th. Apparently I forgot to edit it everywhere, oops.
Okay, thanks for the clarification. Also, can review topics be created for the Epics, so members can offer feedback, much like members getting feedback on entries in other contests?~B~ Edited by Ballom

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Also, can review topics be created for the Epics, so members can offer feedback, much like members getting feedback on entries in other contests?~B~
I remember that last time that was allowed--only after the contest ended. For the duration of the contest, it's all you (and your teammates); when it's over, then you can get feedback.

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

Okay, thanks for the clarification. Also, can review topics be created for the Epics, so members can offer feedback, much like members getting feedback on entries in other contests?~B~
I remember that last time that was allowed--only after the contest ended. For the duration of the contest, it's all you (and your teammates); when it's over, then you can get feedback.

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

Thank you for reminding me why I did that, Nulie. XD; I knew there was some reason, because allowing reviews had bit me in the butt once before.

If we wanted to propose a team or story name, would we do that here or...?
Post it here.
Also, how do we know when a story has ended? What if you feel like the story can end perfectly in one more chapter, but the other author suddenly keeps it going, or vica versa, what if an author ends it, when others feel it's too abrupt? :/
This actually hasn't happened before. =/ Usually each member posts about two chapters before stories start to hit a good stopping point. I would say try to keep it going, but if you already feel your story is at a good stopping point, you guys might should slow down on how often you're posting chapters. Each member does have two days per turn to post a chapter.

Okay then, I propose we Team 2 guys name our story To Kill Salvation. Because it is a very cool name.
If a couple other team mates agree, I'll change it for you. :) And hmmm, I know I said to post proposed team names in here, but since very few people actually seem to be checking this topic, you might want to edit it into your last chapter as well, just to make sure they can see it.

I'm game for "To Kill Salvation", or any variant that someone comes up.HH, usually after TWO chapters per member? I hope that doesn't happen with Team 2. This is actually turning out to be quite fun- I'm in suspense for when its my turn, and seeing what other team members write.Is there an extension on the deadline because of yesterday? I don't know about everyone else, but I kept trying to log in and recieved "Cloudfire cannot pull up site due to site being offline and no cached copies are available" something along those lines. Did anyone else get that, or was it just a few?

Is there an extension on the deadline because of yesterday? I don't know about everyone else, but I kept trying to log in and recieved "Cloudfire cannot pull up site due to site being offline and no cached copies are available" something along those lines. Did anyone else get that, or was it just a few?
Everyone got it.

I'm game for "To Kill Salvation", or any variant that someone comes up.HH, usually after TWO chapters per member? I hope that doesn't happen with Team 2. This is actually turning out to be quite fun- I'm in suspense for when its my turn, and seeing what other team members write.Is there an extension on the deadline because of yesterday? I don't know about everyone else, but I kept trying to log in and recieved "Cloudfire cannot pull up site due to site being offline and no cached copies are available" something along those lines. Did anyone else get that, or was it just a few?
That's just an average. ;) Some epics go longer and some go shorter, it just depends on how quickly or slowly each team works.There is definitely a 24-hour extension because of the day of downtime.

As of now, it's been 48 hours since the last chapter of Team Four's epic was posted, without Grant-Sud Rises having added his chapter that has been due. Does this result in disqualification of Grant-Sud Rises . . ?~B~

As of now, it's been 48 hours since the last chapter of Team Four's epic was posted, without Grant-Sud Rises having added his chapter that has been due. Does this result in disqualification of Grant-Sud Rises . . ?~B~
He PMed me this morning to let me know his chapter would be a day late. He's fine.

I really don't know if this is fussing, and I don't mean to bash any of my comrades, but I'm concerned. I feel obliged to ask: If a team member disregards things that have been happening for the last five chapters and so writes something that is impossible for the characters to do, do we just roll with it? I mean, there just has to be a line between writing your own interpretation of the story and throwing what your teammates have written out the window. It really doesn't help the overall story comprehension.

AXKP5KC.png

I really don't know if this is fussing, and I don't mean to bash any of my comrades, but I'm concerned. I feel obliged to ask: If a team member disregards things that have been happening for the last five chapters and so writes something that is impossible for the characters to do, do we just roll with it? I mean, there just has to be a line between writing your own interpretation of the story and throwing what your teammates have written out the window. It really doesn't help the overall story comprehension.
Hmmmm, that's a good point. I'll take a look at your team's story tonight and see.EDIT: Sorry, I've been having to read it as I get the time to do so. >> Edited by Hahli Husky

Is there a time tomorrow for the deadline? I really didn't get what I'd hoped for done today (sorry, team) and I'll be posting what's likely to be our final chapter tomorrow. I just don't want to miss it and really screw things up, haha.

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

Is there a time tomorrow for the deadline? I really didn't get what I'd hoped for done today (sorry, team) and I'll be posting what's likely to be our final chapter tomorrow. I just don't want to miss it and really screw things up, haha.
Don't forget that there's a day of extension, because of BZP being down for a day. We all should have through the 25th.~B~

I thought the original deadline was the 23rd, though? Or am I mistaken?

Hey: I'm not very active around BZP right now.  However, you can always contact me through PM (I have email notifications set up) and I will reply as soon as I can.

Useful Topics: The Q&A Compendium | The Official RPG Planning Topic
Stories: Fractures | An Aftermath | Three Stories | LSO 2012 Epics: Team Three | The Shadow and the Sea | The Days They Were Needed | Glitches | Transformations | Echoes | The Kaita and the Storyteller | Nui

BZPRPG: Komae · Soraya · Bohrei

Blog: Defendant Lobby no. 42

I think we originally had only 10 days to write, but then it got extended, and now the official deadline is the 28th. (See the first post)So luckily we still have time to wrap things up. :music:
The only mention of the 28th in the first post is for the comedies part ending on June 28, so I think you misread it. Also, the topics for the epics were all posted on the 8th, so having only 10 days is a bit off as well. It seems the only question is whether this portion ends on the 24th or the 25th.~B~

Regardless of 24th or 25th, personally I'm having doubts that my team's epic will be completed by the deadline, whatever day it happens to be. It could happen, and I wouldn't be surprised, but I wouldn't bet on it. If we haven't finished, are we allowed to continue writing it, even though round robins are traditional not allowed in the library?

{Z}

The deadline was originally the 10th, but I changed it to the 24th soon after to give everyone more time. Since the forums were down a full day in the middle there, it does seem fair to extend the deadline to the 25th. :) So everyone can keep writing until the 25th at 11:59 pm PDT. If this creates a scheduling issue for you, please PM me right away.

Regardless of 24th or 25th, personally I'm having doubts that my team's epic will be completed by the deadline, whatever day it happens to be. It could happen, and I wouldn't be surprised, but I wouldn't bet on it. If we haven't finished, are we allowed to continue writing it, even though round robins are traditional not allowed in the library?
That's very normal, to not be finished at the deadline. The topics will be locked during judging, but I'll also be opening review topics for you all then. Once the judging is over, the epic topics will reopen and teams can continue writing if they wish, and even start collaborating before writing if they like. However, some members may wish to stop writing then, and that's fine. You don't have to obey the member writing order or any of the contest-specific rules at that point, of course. ;) Edited by Hahli Husky

I think we could finish it by then, personally, if we started wrapping it up now. I'm trying to move towards an ending in my current chapter (which I'm unfortunately not going to be posting till morning, because I'm afraid my tiredness while writing has made it spaced-out/bad, and I want to finish it and read it over later). And I'm totally in support of continuing it, although I would prefer a higher level of collaboration. That would almost certainly get us a better quality product than the pure round-robin format does.Also, I think we should have a name for our team and/or epic. Suggestions, anyone? For team, I suggest Team Extempore, for the following reasons: 1) we are extempore; 2) three of our four team members have the letter 'x' in their respective names. (Although that does leave out Emissary to the Void, which is a drawback.)I am confident those extremely sound arguments will convince you all. But I'm definitely accepting other ideas.For epic names, well, I'm not sure. Sometimes it's a little hard to pin down the theme of this story. Death to the Toa Nuva? Kingdom of the Toa? Perhaps some variant on one of those?Related to which, I have a question for Hahli Husky. Would it be allowed to pick a team/epic name when the writing period is over, before or during the judging process?Anyway, I'm definitely enjoying this contest, more than I thought I would when I entered. And I'm very interested in our story. If it does end on time, maybe we could even do some sort of sequel? (Depends on how it ends, of course.) I'll try to get my chapter up before too late in the morning.-Excelsior

bannerwithstrangedevicesmall.jpg

My writings:

The Toa Ekara - Visions A short story. Ga-Koro Mobs My entry for the LSO Comedies Contest. Team Extempore's entry for the LSO Epics Contest

And I'm totally in support of continuing it, although I would prefer a higher level of collaboration. That would almost certainly get us a better quality product than the pure round-robin format does......Related to which, I have a question for Hahli Husky. Would it be allowed to pick a team/epic name when the writing period is over, before or during the judging process?
Yep, like I said, after the contest is over, you guys can do what you like, which includes actively planning and collaborating with each other. :)You can pick one at any time, but after judging is over, PM me to have topic titles changed.

He PMed me this morning to let me know his chapter would be a day late. He's fine.
Has he PMed you about a chapter being late this time as well? As this time it's now been three days, which is somewhat disappointing given that I hoped we would have been able to post several more chapters in the final days before the contest ends. :/~B~

Has he PMed you about a chapter being late this time as well? As this time it's now been three days, which is somewhat disappointing given that I hoped we would have been able to post several more chapters in the final days before the contest ends. :/~B~
He did, and I instructed him to post about his absence in the topic. Didn't realize it would be that late, or I would've had you guys skip over him. =|

Aaaaaahh! I am so sorry, I never did post that up. :( Really my bad guys. I sent Ballom a message to just take the chapter I was supposed to do. I'm not going to be able to write mine up. :/ Again I'm really sorry about the delay.
Well, I should be able to slide in my chapter before the end of the day, so it's all right.~B~

Ha! I managed to post that chapter, against relatively minor odds! *puffs out chest*...Anyway, yeah, that's about all. :mellow:I do look forward to the review topics, to comment on the other entries and discuss my group's story with the other members.~B~

Edited by Ballom

Epic topics have been locked, review topics will be up tomorrow because I'm exhausted now. =.= After the judging is over, the topics will reopen and writers can continue if they wish. You will be allowed to collaborate, drop out if you want, mix up the order of posting, etc. If you wish to have your epics renamed, please PM me with a decided-upon title. :) Thanks, everyone!