Library Summer Olympics 2012 - COT Edition

I'm arranging the teams right now, and will be posting the start up topics tomorrow afternoon. :) Team topics are live! Check the Epics entries post!Also, the judging results for Comedies are in! I'll be tallying those up this weekend, as well.

The deadline has been changed to July 25th, 2012, 11:59 PM PDT to adjust for a day of server downtime. If this creates a scheduling issue for you, please PM me right away.EDIT: Review topics are up, judging is currently underway!MORE EDIT: Short Stories event is live! Also, Epics prizes have been decided on (rather lately, of course!) Each Gold Medalist (first place team member) will receive a custom member title and their choice of either an orange Kanohi Vahi or two random metallic silver and gold Great Kanohi! The masks were donated by my adoring husband, Janus! Epics results should be up on Sunday.

Edited by Hahli Husky

• 2 weeks later...

To cover a few ideas: Agartha, Aztlán, Kitezh, El Dorado, Camelot--would these be permissible?

From the desk of Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

:smilemirunu:

Edited by My Name is Nuile

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

tumblr_meb7408mTy1r4ejnio1_1280.gif

I know I am ready to start my voyage.

A Musing Author . . . Want to read my books?

• 2 weeks later...

I think fictional locations are entirely prohibited. Although, you could easily enough pick a planet other than Earth and give to it whatever name you want, because logically the inhabitants wouldn't refer to it by the name of a Greek myth. Unless you were thinking along the lines of an alternate dimension or using a Star Wars world, that could probably serve the same purpose for you.And whatever you do, note that I wasn't serious when I said you could wait until the last minute. ;P

When I know I can't live without a pen and paper, when I know writing is as necessary to me as breathing . . .

I think fictional locations are entirely prohibited. Although, you could easily enough pick a planet other than Earth and give to it whatever name you want, because logically the inhabitants wouldn't refer to it by the name of a Greek myth. Unless you were thinking along the lines of an alternate dimension or using a Star Wars world, that could probably serve the same purpose for you.
I was planning to use empty space near a dead solar system in an alternate universe till the end, when the setting shifts to Earth in its early stages of formation. I never specify any details about the alternate universe planet's late solar system, and till the shift, the narrative's setting is within a starship floating just beyond that solar system.
And whatever you do, note that I wasn't serious when I said you could wait until the last minute. ;P
This is the last day, not the last minute. Semantics are on my side. :P Edited by Legolover-361

Do our entries have to take place only in existing locations, or can the origin story take place in a fictional location but nevertheless detail, say, how life started on Earth?
Has to be existing locations, locations that once existed, or locations from really old myths. If you're looking to detail the beginnings of such a place, you can make-up another place for this purpose. It just can't be from preexisting fictional works.

Only two entries here in COT. So how's this going to work, Hahli Husky?

Only two entries here in COT. So how's this going to work, Hahli Husky?

Well, I guess you guys can decide what you'd like me to do, since there's just two of you. Would you rather be judged so there's a first and a second place winner, or would you like to be judged with the Library event?

The problem with combining the competitions would be that I entered both. And as Legolover said, it would be to mix our coffee with our tea. So I agree; keep the judging separate. Let it be a dramatic, mano-a-mano duel of the pencil between the two of us.

Nulie?
N-U-I-L-E. But thanks for pointing that out. Hahli Husky . . . you awarded the bronze in the Comedies event to someone named "Nulie." It's an easy mistake, but I'd appreciate it if you fixed that. XP

Theeeeeeen looks like how it'll work is how it normally works. That was the plan, but figured since the question was asked, I'd give out the options. Thanks for the input. :)

N-U-I-L-E. But thanks for pointing that out. Hahli Husky . . . you awarded the bronze in the Comedies event to someone named "Nulie." It's an easy mistake, but I'd appreciate it if you fixed that. XP
Oh, you aren't Nulie? :o I guess I better take back whatever you mistakenly won and give it to that poor overlooked Nulie person! Edited by Hahli Husky

• 2 weeks later...

. . . "Well-played" hardly seems apt when there were only two of us. XP
But anyway, you know what they say; no losers makes a good loser . . . or something like that. Felicitations to the winners who shined so clearly above all the rest . . . because they actually bothered to enter.
I hope this doesn't quell the chances of another Library Olympics any time soon; it may not have been as successful as last time, but I, for one, had a great time.

Sincerely, Nuile: Lunatic Wordsmith

• 1 month later...