The Official Halo Topic

Skarloth

Can't make it tonight, sadly, so don't wait for me.

Have fun!

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

I got rid of my picture, are you happy?

Does anybody here have Halo 2 on PC? The multiplayer community is not what it used to be - it consists of a grand total of ten people, half of which are Mexicans with whom it is impossible for me (as an English-speaker) to communicate with. This generally results in next-to-nobody online at any given time, spread out in 1s and 2s across a few servers, playing the same maps and boring gamemodes over and over (I'm looking at you, Lockout Slayer BRs). If anybody here does own the game, it'd be really great if you could play it a bit, if not just to play with me (if we're online), but also for the betterment of the dying community as a whole.

That said, I will buy Halo 2: Anniversary SO HARD this spring (assuming they follow the 10-year Anniversary precedent done with Halo: Combat Evolved). The only reason this game lags behind the others is the sandbox and graphics. Gameplay, music, and fun are all off-the-charts.

Is anyone else worried that Bungie moved Destiny to be a fall (September?) 2014 release? I'm scared that it'll butt in on Halo 5's sales.

Steam Name: Toa Hahli Mahri. Xbox Live Gamertag: Makuta. Minecraft Username: ThePoohster.

Wants: 2003 Jaller (from Jaller and Gukko), Exo-Toa, Turaga Nuju, Turaga Vakama, Shadow Kraata, Axonn, Brutaka, Vezon & Fenrakk, Nocturn, ORANGE FIKOU.

Halo 5 still has no release date anyways. Nobody said they were shooting for Fall 2014.

Anywho, just beat Spartan Assault. It was pretty fun overall. Although it did take a while to get used to the aiming controls.

Going to go back through and do all assault ops and shoot for gold stars on all levels. That's going to be pretty hard in Operations E and F it looks like, but A and B are all done so I'm already a third of the way there.

Haven't tried the co-op levels but am itching to just to fight the Flood. I think you can be paired with random people, so that'll help since nobody on my friends list has the game.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

"He walks among us, but he is not one of us."

Well, the trailer says 2014 and I'm pretty sure I saw Fall 2014 somewhere (though now, obviously, I can't :/ ). That said, when else would they release it in 2014 besides Fall (or early Winter)?

Turahk, since you seem to have big Spartan Assault experience, in your opinion, is it worth it? Should I spend $15 on it, buy another game, or pour the cash into more Halo 4 DLC?

Well, the trailer says 2014 and I'm pretty sure I saw Fall 2014 somewhere (though now, obviously, I can't :/ ). That said, when else would they release it in 2014 besides Fall (or early Winter)?

Turahk, since you seem to have big Spartan Assault experience, in your opinion, is it worth it? Should I spend $15 on it, buy another game, or pour the cash into more Halo 4 DLC?

Fair enough; had forgotten the vague 2014 given before. I'd put it more towards the end of the year if it actually does come out this year, though.

I've pretty much given up on Halo 4, so can't personally recommend any of its DLC... As for Spartan Assault? It's fun, man. And $15 isn't a lot. At that price, I didn't expect much more than your standard XBLA game, and that's what it delivers. It's not terribly long nor difficult (but throw in some skulls and I'd beg to differ), but definitely has replay value.

I'd recommend it, but would also say watch a video or two of somebody else playing it if you haven't yet. See if you could see yourself enjoying that. I don't know who to recommend since I've only seen Achievement Hunter's guides... although I think they did a This Is... episode on it and that should give a decent look if they did.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

I know a lot of people have "Given up" or "lost interest" or "don't like" Halo 4 - can someone (or everybody) tell me what is it that they (and the disgruntled portion of the Halo fanbase) have against Halo 4?

This is not an attempt to start a flamewar, it is a genuine question that I would like to see the opposite side of, as I consider Halo 4 to be among the finest of the Halos.

In other news, more people play Halo 2 Vista on weekends. Unfortunately, it's just Coagulation, District, Foundation, and Lockout, all in one giant rotation of boredom.

I know a lot of people have "Given up" or "lost interest" or "don't like" Halo 4 - can someone (or everybody) tell me what is it that they (and the disgruntled portion of the Halo fanbase) have against Halo 4?

This is not an attempt to start a flamewar, it is a genuine question that I would like to see the opposite side of, as I consider Halo 4 to be among the finest of the Halos.

In other news, more people play Halo 2 Vista on weekends. Unfortunately, it's just Coagulation, District, Foundation, and Lockout, all in one giant rotation of boredom.

What I think a lot of people have against Halo 4 is that it's 343i's first halo game they've made alone, so there's naturally going to be things wrong with it. However, I think those people are just nitpicking about things that are present in every game, since no game is absolutely perfect.

I like H4 a lot, even if the MP gets stale after a couple hours. I think the second season of Spartan Ops will freshen the experience up a bit for people.

---

As for H2, it's pretty much dead at this point. People moved on to H3/4; a few years ago, Halo: CE was still surprisingly active on the PC. I wonder what it's like now ...

untitled_1_by_tehresistance-d75oigo.jpg

---

As for H2, it's pretty much dead at this point. People moved on to H3/4; a few years ago, Halo: CE was still surprisingly active on the PC. I wonder what it's like now ...

There's several times as many people who play Halo: Combat Evolved than who play Halo 2. A good hundred game servers, dozens of people online at any given time, and the servers are populated. Granted, zombies, Team Snipers, and Blood Gulch are the most popular, but there are some more classic servers, like Beach House on the Moon.

The only thing I dislike about Halo games is that there are quite a number of players who are afk.

Imagine you're playing Spartan Ops and all 3 of your teammates are afk and you have to fight through a horde of Covenant on Legendary.

Have you ever had this feeling that you want to jump right into your tv/computer screen to beat up some guy you don't like?

Yeah, it's exactly like this.

Edited by MaliceGhost

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Kind of off-topic given the previous posts, but does anybody have the Halo: Reach Legendary Edition Statue? I got some of the Legendary Edition content (including the statue) for Christmas and am having some problems with it, so if someone who does own it could PM me, that would be just great.

Also, does anybody know how to use the Halo 2 Map Editor Tools? Sapiens and Guerilla? I've looked on the web and on youtube, but I don't see any tutorials for Halo 2, as opposed to in Halo: Custom Edition.

I stopped playing Halo 4 because a) the game changed drastically and b) I did not adapt to it. And even when I did play, the multiplayer community is grossly overwhelmed with bigotry of one form or another. I realized that it is (and always has been) an inherently poisonous atmosphere and I decided I wanted no part of it anymore.

Sometimes I do jump back on for some ODST or Halo 4 Spartan Ops with a buddy or two but otherwise I'm pretty much out of the community.

20383310448_7d514f8ffa.jpg

Spoiler Alert

I stopped playing Halo 4 because a) the game changed drastically and b) I did not adapt to it. And even when I did play, the multiplayer community is grossly overwhelmed with bigotry of one form or another. I realized that it is (and always has been) an inherently poisonous atmosphere and I decided I wanted no part of it anymore.

Sometimes I do jump back on for some ODST or Halo 4 Spartan Ops with a buddy or two but otherwise I'm pretty much out of the community.

To be fair, I haven't been playing any multiplayer games in general but yeah, I kinda stopped playing Halo 4 as the same reason (a) the game changed and seemed geared for more long range battles than anything. Still not a fan of Armor abilities being in the game and rather like Equipment or something that was limited use only than something rechargable.

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

"I could have been a Protector but then I took a stud to the feet."

Main reasons I don't like Halo 4:

Campaign is too easy

Multiplayer gets boring fast

Spartan Ops has infinite lives, so no point really trying

Weapons are too similar to each other

Armor Abilities became...sucky

Grenades do about as much damage as splashing water on people, and are now marked by a HUD icon when they're nearby, so they're useless unless spammed

Enemy AI is mentally impaired.

Secondary reasons:

90% of all the armor looks terrible

Colors are all too bright

Sound effects are...weird

The DMR, my favorite general purpose non power weapon in all of Halo, has been disgraced

The texture quality of almost everything is below Halo 3's, despite the lighting effects

Too much lighting effects, everything is way too shiny

The texture quality of the Pelican is below Halo 2's.

The fight with the Didact was a joke

And that basically sums it up.

In other news I will now have very little access to the internet because the internet at my house is down and it could take anywhere from 2 weeks to several months to return.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Well it is 343i, technically, their first Halo game. Can't really blame them there. Just learn from your mistakes and fix them, I suppose.

Although, they should really add in an afk boot system or some sort of mechanic that knows the difference between accidental betrayals and plain AWOL betrayals.

I am getting really tired of getting useless teammates. It's getting to the point where you and a few others have to carry your team to victory.

Edited by MaliceGhost

f495fc6cc0a66dd12aa49fce021072a1.gif

Well it is 343i, technically, their first Halo game. Can't really blame them there. Just learn from your mistakes and fix them, I suppose.

Although, they should really add in an afk boot system or some sort of mechanic that knows the difference between accidental betrayals and plain AWOL betrayals.

I am getting really tired of getting useless teammates. It's getting to the point where you and a few others have to carry your team to victory.

It was their first game yes, but they would have some experience in knowing what a Halo game would work, what with managing Waypoint and Halo CE:A and Reach multiplayer after Bungie left. It took really long for them to implement patches to improve the H4 multiplayer also but I guess what with the DLC fiasco and also changing the missions in the second half of Spartan Ops that there was delays (Plus gearing up Halo 5/XboxOne 2 years after Halo 4's release, they still need to make up their mind about the title of the game, too......................................................................)

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

Got the last of the Spartan Assault Achievements last night. :)

And managed to get into a game with Caleb from Achievement Hunter! That was fun.

Now to just wait for the Challenges to roll out... the next one, complete all Operation D missions with Blind on, is going to be a right pain. Operation D was the hardest in my opinion. The Operation F with Thunderstorm on one might not also be a cake walk.

I just wish we weren't getting one a week. This week's was too easy and I just want to finish the others. I suppose I could practice them and rack up the experience... not that I don't already have loads from the Achievement grinding.

~|ET|~

E-T... Phone home.

I know you guys have been a little down with your opinions on 343i and are worried about the coming Halo, but there has been some good news on Halo Waypoint.

In the "New Year's Resolutions" article, 343i confirms the reshuffling of the art department, brings a gorgeous piece of concept art featuring the Infinity, and introduces new blood. This new blood is none other than Tim Longo as Creative Director - he worked on Tomb Raider, Star Wars: Republic Commando, and Star Wars: First Assault (LucasArts' secondary Battlefront 3 before the one coming from Dice). While I can't speak for the other games, I do know that Republic Commando is a fantastic FPS. If you are worrying that it'd be kiddifying Halo (y'know, Star Wars) - Republic Commando was the first Star Wars game to receive an M-rating ever. I'm also just pleased to see a new, spirited article on Waypoint that brings to mind some of the more classic, good ol' days. All in all, there is only good that can come of this.

I finally got my paws on an Xbox Live card. Thank goodness. I got one with the bonus Forza 5 McLaren 12-C (which sounds and looks cool), but I don't have the game so I'll probably try to sell it. Maybe here or eBay.

Actually...they did have plenty of excellent work they could use as a base. But they kind of decided to experiment a little too much and it didn't go very well.

That, I would like. AWOL betrayals are just ridiculous, but I've been booted for accidental ones. I remember on one particular occasion, I hit Lone with a Wraith. It didn't give him a boot option nor did he appear to want one, but it was rather embarrassing.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

OK, guys, I'm worried I've had a brain fart.

So you know how when Halo 3 came out, there was an advertising blitz that was EVERYWHERE (mainly on TV)? I mean, you couldn't watch the television or youtube without seeing at some point one of the many Halo 3 ads.

Now I'm wondering - was there something like this with Halo: Reach and 4? I do remember that Halo 4 ads were EVERYWHERE on Youtube (I'd watched the Infinity get sucked into Requiem's gravity well at least eighty times), but do not recall that they were on TV. That said, I watch next to no TV - perhaps an hour in a month.

So were there loads of TV commercials airing for Halo: Reach and Halo 4 similar to Halo 3?

Halo Reach had that live action short that was plastered on every game and video site, Deliver Hope / Remember Reach or something like that.

Halo 4 had the miniseries Forward Unto Dawn by Machinima that was plastered everywhere on Youtube and Machinima's site.

Spoiler Alert

So neither Reach nor 4 were on TV?

Apparently, there was at least one TV spot that aired for Halo 4, but I don't know about anything else. It appears that it was nothing like the television marketing blitz for Halo 3, but I guess that's because everyone now watches TV on their computer.

Also, another bizarre question: does anybody know the music that plays during the last thirty seconds of the E3 2012 "Commissioning" trailer? It's the trailer where the Infinity gets sucked into Requiem, but actual game footage is shown at the end while a BWA-WA-WA-WA-WA theme repeats itself. Does anyone know what piece that is?

So neither Reach nor 4 were on TV?

Apparently, there was at least one TV spot that aired for Halo 4, but I don't know about anything else. It appears that it was nothing like the television marketing blitz for Halo 3, but I guess that's because everyone now watches TV on their computer.

Also, another bizarre question: does anybody know the music that plays during the last thirty seconds of the E3 2012 "Commissioning" trailer? It's the trailer where the Infinity gets sucked into Requiem, but actual game footage is shown at the end while a BWA-WA-WA-WA-WA theme repeats itself. Does anyone know what piece that is?

I do remember for Reach, they showed the live-action short on TV.

I believe it's the last half of "Revival" is what you're looking for.

You were right, Crunchbite! My favorite Bionicle artist strikes again! Thanks!

Since it's MLK Weekend, anyone up for a Reach/3/4 gamenight some time?

yeah, unfortunately I'll be hanging out with people and stuff.

In halo-related news, voice actress for Cortana, Jen Taylor, will be providing the voice for Microsoft's version of Siri codenamed "Cortana." :)

Edited by CrunchbiteNuva

Can someone explain how the betrayal booting system works in Halo 4? If I get killed by my teammate with his incineration cannon twice - no boot option.

If I splatter my teammate twice (I wanted his ordnance), I get booted.

What?

Can someone explain how the betrayal booting system works in Halo 4? If I get killed by my teammate with his incineration cannon twice - no boot option.

What?

...You killed a teammate on purpose when he wasn't killing you? That's low, especially if done for a weapon he has.

But, splatters give a boot option more than anything else does.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

What?

...You killed a teammate on purpose when he wasn't killing you? That's low, especially if done for a weapon he has.

But, splatters give a boot option more than anything else does.

According to my Xbox profile, 67% of all players who play with me select the Avoid option.

I think that's impressive.

What?

You seem to be a team player.

bBhcfWO.png

What?

You seem to be a team player.

Actually I'm not much of one, I perform better solo when it comes to games. But I still make an effort to be a good teammate when I have to.

Oh, and, Wazdakka, that isn't surprising considering what you revealed you did.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

What?

Sounds like it 's working fine.

Spoiler Alert

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I think I need to clarify.

The first time, it was an accident. The second time, I saw a big gun drop in for him and I thought it was an incineration cannon, so I crushed him like a soft biscuit. Sadly, it was a Spartan Laser. The idea I was trying to convey was that the booting system is not too consistent.

Anyone playing Spartan Assault on 360?

Edited by Wazdakka