Tyrant: Fire Itself. Bbc 63

VBBN

Edited by VBBN

:o !!!! I don't know what I may do to myself if that thing didn't win...... Its magnitude is creepy! One quick question, though: how are the two FireLord heads two different shades of silver? Other than that and the fact that it uses a tad too many colors, this thing is awesome!!! Great job!

31775851601_1a2a5bc5d1_m.jpg

"Welcome to Valhalla, Warrior."

Recent MOC's: The Headless Horseman (BBC71 Finalist)    LDD CCBS Chess    The Shadowed One (BBC69)    Nydoretha (Netherealm Empress)

:o !!!! I don't know what I may do to myself if that thing didn't win...... Its magnitude is creepy! One quick question, though: how are the two FireLord heads two different shades of silver? Other than that and the fact that it uses a tad too many colors, this thing is awesome!!! Great job!
I think it's just a lighting illiusion, the heads look the same to me in real life. And I pretty much went with fire lords scheme, all kinds of shades of reds, yellows, oranges, etc. To get the parts to lessen the colors would be expensive and would take too long.

One quick question, though: how are the two FireLord heads two different shades of silver?
It would seem that the heads that came on Drilldozer and Fire Lord were in slightly different colors -- one was Flat Silver, and the other was Pearl Dark Gray, to use Bricklink's terms.Anyway, this is quite the interesting and visually imposing MOC, VBBN. Certainly, it appears constructed quite solidly, which MOCs of this size sometimes are lacking in, so kudos to you for that alone! :) The legs in partcular are quite nice (probably my favorite section, really), with those sets of three clawed toes distributing weight properly, it seems. The torso's overall triangular, hulking shape was also executed rather well, as it appears generally coherent, and adequately armored.However, there are various problems that I see in the MOC. For one thing, as is often happens with MOCs of this size, it is quite cluttered. In certain ways, the heavy use of Hero Factory parts contributes, as they are generally smaller pieces that cannot connect as fluidly as Bionicle parts, like Dralcax said. The lower back and front shoulders seem to suffer from this the most. I do echo Dralcax's call for pieces such as the Axalara panels.In addition, there also appear some issues with color scheme. This fellow has black, gunmetal, around four different shades of silver, Mata red, and orange. Some of these, such as the type of silver on the Hero Factory feet near the knee region, could seemingly be fixed relatively easily. Also, I suggest that the orange go as well, as the Zamor spheres can be removed without loss to the surrounding area's look, and the Furno weapons on the torso don't seem to serve much of a purpose. Perhaps the latter are meant as eyes, given that the MOC has little facial features, although I don't really know. Similarly, the Hero Factory flame pieces do not add particularly to the color scheme, although I recognize they are necessary for the contest.Which, really, brings me to another point -- I don't see this fitting the contest theme too well. The fire is only present in the form of about six pieces, which appear rather tacked on to shoehorn the entry into fitting the theme. In my mind, it succeeds quite well as a large, mechanical titan, but not as one associated with fire.Finally, I wanted to make a quite comment about what I assume is the mouth -- the five red blade pieces. If these are intended as teeth, perhaps they could be positioned in a straighter, more visually appealing manner, as currently they lend the MOC a jarring, snaggletoothed appearance. Also, the section with the middle forehead blade is inexplicably askew.Still, overall this is a pretty nice MOC, despite its flaws. Good luck in the contest; I imagine you'll meet with some success in the polls, given members tend to be fond of larger entries. Also, good luck if you have to send this to Brickfair; it looks like packaging this fellow will be quite the daunting prospect. :P~B~ Edited by Ballom

I like the parts usage on this one, some pieces are used very creatively. However, the whole thing seems very jumbled, may I suggest the Technic panels from the Axalara and Skopio instead of relatively tiny HF armor?
If I had those parts then I would have used them more than likely. On one hand I do agree these parts can be jumbled, but at the same time I like the more varied and jumbled look of him, He is supposed to be a grotesque monster really, and I feel the immense amount of smaller panels and bits gives him the look I'd like him to have.
One quick question, though: how are the two FireLord heads two different shades of silver?
It would seem that the heads that came on Drilldozer and Fire Lord were in slightly different colors -- one was Flat Silver, and the other was Pearl Dark Gray, to use Bricklink's terms.
While you are correct, the head came in two different colors, I did not use fire lords head on him. Both of those helmets are drilldozers, the light reflected off of one more causing an illusion of a different shade. You can see pearl dark gray right next to those helmets (aka "gunmetal gray")
Anyway, this is quite the interesting and visually imposing MOC, VBBN. Certainly, it appears constructed quite solidly, which MOCs of this size sometimes are lacking in, so kudos to you for that alone! :) The legs in partcular are quite nice (probably my favorite section, really), with those sets of three clawed toes distributing weight properly, it seems. The torso's overall triangular, hulking shape was also executed rather well, as it appears generally coherent, and adequately armored.
Thank you. The legs took the most work to design, because as you can assume(and as you mentioned) weight distribution is a factor that I must take into account. He stands very solid and can strike many poses with adjusting. And the weight is centeres on two "engine" panels on his heels and the middle toe, the other two toes can move around wherever without affecting it.
However, there are various problems that I see in the MOC. For one thing, as is often happens with MOCs of this size, it is quite cluttered. In certain ways, the heavy use of Hero Factory parts contributes, as they are generally smaller pieces that cannot connect as fluidly as Bionicle parts, like Dralcax said. The lower back and front shoulders seem to suffer from this the most. I do echo Dralcax's call for pieces such as the Axalara panels.
See my above response to Dralcax
In addition, there also appear some issues with color scheme. This fellow has black, gunmetal, around four different shades of silver, Mata red, and orange. Some of these, such as the type of silver on the Hero Factory feet near the knee region, could seemingly be fixed relatively easily. Also, I suggest that the orange go as well, as the Zamor spheres can be removed without loss to the surrounding area's look, and the Furno weapons on the torso don't seem to serve much of a purpose. Perhaps the latter are meant as eyes, given that the MOC has little facial features, although I don't really know. Similarly, the Hero Factory flame pieces do not add particularly to the color scheme, although I recognize they are necessary for the contest.
In regards to the color scheme, obtaining all armor of one shade of silver would be a bit bland to me, or on the flipside, very expensive to me as well. In addition, all of the shades of red, yellow, orange, etc, are really the main part of this guy that scream "fire" because honestly fire itself is pouring off of him. The furno pieces are his eyes, I'll get better pics of his head ina while, I know its hard to tell, I cant take decent pics of him, He's too large for my studio.
Which, really, brings me to another point -- I don't see this fitting the contest theme too well. The fire is only present in the form of about six pieces, which appear rather tacked on to shoehorn the entry into fitting the theme. In my mind, it succeeds quite well as a large, mechanical titan, but not as one associated with fire.
Not everything related to fire has to be on fire and blazing; But regardless of if I make it to the contest or not, I really enjoyed this MOC and wanted to share it either way(:
Finally, I wanted to make a quite comment about what I assume is the mouth -- the five red blade pieces. If these are intended as teeth, perhaps they could be positioned in a straighter, more visually appealing manner, as currently they lend the MOC a jarring, snaggletoothed appearance. Also, the section with the middle forehead blade is inexplicably askew.
I don't want him to look too civilized; The red furno blades are actually part of his mouth as well; Big, big fangs.
Still, overall this is a pretty nice MOC, despite its flaws. Good luck in the contest; I imagine you'll meet with some success in the polls, given members tend to be fond of larger entries. Also, good luck if you have to send this to Brickfair; it looks like packaging this fellow will be quite the daunting prospect. :P
Dont even remind me :P

I like this. The best part has to be the size (It's huge!), and I feel the jumbled parts look actually suits it really well. It might be nice if the colors matched more, but I could understand if you didn't have the parts for that. Overall, great MoC, you should do good in the BBC contest.:)

3DS FC: 0216 - 1922 - 2231

...Wow. Big.I like it. Nice us of HF parts. Good luck in the contest!
I like it. It's probably going to be a finalist. Usually I'd complain about the colour scheme or the holes but at the end of the day, it's not meant to be a civilised creation, it's meant to be monstrous. And it captures that feeling very well, I must say.
I like this. The best part has to be the size (It's huge!), and I feel the jumbled parts look actually suits it really well. It might be nice if the colors matched more, but I could understand if you didn't have the parts for that. Overall, great MoC, you should do good in the BBC contest. :)
Thanks to all!So that this is not a generic gratitude post, here are some new pics;http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7089/7396830292_f08a5069e0_z.jpghttp://farm8.staticflickr.com/7104/7396830092_f9434cc6db_z.jpg Edited by VBBN