My Bionicle Flash Fiction Marathon Entries

These are my Bionicle related entries for the Warm Up: Flash Fiction Marathon thingy. Quality depends on how last minute they were, etc. These are completely unchanged except for a few misspellings and such. Hope you enjoy, and C&C is always appreciated! :)Flash Fiction Marathon Bionicle CompilationMember name: Space: Ocean of Awe==========Theme: VisionsWord count: 599 wordsStory: Between worldsA Ta matoran enters a great chamber, at the vey end sits a Toa, adorned in furs and flowery wreaths, his golden throne tattooed with images of the Order of Power. Matoran are in their rightful place among the Rahi. "Your Greatness," the Matoran says, placing a small parcel at his master's feet. "Your Tribute."The Great Toa peers disdainfully at this small bundle. "Do you really believe that such a...thing, could even be fit for the Rahi? Remove this trash from my sight!" The Toa finishes, speaking to an Attendant. Turning to his Royal Guards, he continues, "remove this Matoran scum from my living space. Perhaps the dungeon will teach him a thing or two about respect to his Superiors."The Matoran's expression of shock turns to outrage. "Your time is limited, Toa! Soon, you and your Toa friends will be put in your rightful place. From the Darkness whence you came, you shall return, all hail the Otherworlders!" He allows himself to be dragged out of the throne room, and is thrown into a dungeon.---Misak's eyes shoot open. It is a bright day, and birds chirp in the distance. Worried Matoran faces swim at the edges of his vision. "Where am I?"Talek, a Toa of Fire, shoulders his way through the crowd. "Misak! What happened?" He extends his hand to the Matoran on the ground. "Thank Mata Nui you're alright..."Misak recoils at the Toa’s hand."What's the matter? I’m a Toa, I'm not going to hurt you." says the Toa of Fire, taken aback at the fury in the Matoran's eyes. "I'm your old friend, talk to me! Step back, Matoran - he needs space."Slowly, recognition dawns on the Matoran's face. "Talek. Where am I? You ordered me into-no, that wasn’t real, was it?”The bewildered Toa kneels beside the Matoran, his voice is full of worry. “What isn’t real, Misak? I never told you, let alone ordered you, to do anything! I ought to get you indoors...”“No, it’s okay. I feel fine now, it’s happened before...but I saw you, sitting on that golden throne-I mean, it looked like you but...you would never order me into the dungeons. Wait, I’ll explain from the beginning.” And so he does, ending with the threat of a revolution in this corrupt universe.After a few moments, the Toa speaks. “This is no dream...it couldn’t possibly have anything to do with our universe, could it? You must tell the Turaga. He will know.” He offers the Matoran his hand again, this time Misak takes it. Suddenly Talek stiffens, he feels as if he is being crushed from all sides...The Toa opens his eyes. All is dark but one lightstone embedded in the opposite wall, damp with mould. Beside him lies the Matoran. “This can’t be...Misak? Misak! Is this the place you spoke of, that you saw?”The Matoran sits up. “Yes...somebody is coming!”Three pares of feet echo through the dungeon. Voices can be heard. “Guards! Have all the gates been secured? All posts occupied? We must be ready for any threat.”Soon a body is seen to match the voice. The footsteps cease, and Toa looks upon Toa, not a difference between them to be seen. “You-you’re...we’re the same, but that’s not possible!”Talek stands inside the cell. Though just as confused as his doppelgänger, he doesn’t let on. “Fancy meeting you here, brother.” The Toa smiles, and steps toward his villainous counterpart. “I would never have recognized myself with such a black heart.”-----I wish I could have fleshed this one out a bit more, then again, perhaps it’s better this way: I have an excuse for a confusing plot :P====================Theme: The Legends of LhiiWord count: 600Story: A Tale of Uncommon CourageMatoran await, anticipating, as the Turaga begins. "Today, I would like to share with you a side of Lhii you have never heard of. We all know about Lhii the brave, adventurous, skillful, and hardworking Matoran. Today I will tell you of Lhii, the kind and generous.""Of everything Lhii owned, of all his lava surfing trophies and medals, only one possession truly mattered to him: his first lava board, moulded from protosteel, hung on his wall for all to see, but for none to touch. Every month, he would retrieve that board from his wall, walk down to the lava flow, and ride. Matoran would put aside their duties to watch him ride, more graceful than a Rahi whale. I have stood, on occasion, at the banks of the lava flow to watch him, his perfect balance, precise body movements. After some time spent riding, he would return to his home and polish his board, gently caressing it with a soft cloth until it shone like a lightstone."One such day, while Lhii Was cleaning his lava board, a Matoran knocked at his door. He greeted a Ta-Matoran, formerly part of the Guard, Ferna was his name, who sustained an injured leg from a battle with an agitated Kikanalo. Lhii welcomed his friend into his house, and they walked past various trophies and prized lava boards, into his sitting space."Ferna wanted to take lava boarding lessons with him. Lhii was doubtful at first, "Your leg won't pain you?" But agreed to do his best to help an old friend. He soon found that this would be no easy task."He first thought to use a balance-board, designed for stability, however Ferna would have to lean most of his weight on his injured leg. The slalom board lacked stability, and no other boards were found to fit Ferna's leg. The disabled Matoran hid his disappointment as he returned home. He had hoped, with all his heart, that he could experience some freedom from his handicap through lava surfing."Lhii had fitted countless Matoran with the perfect lava boards such that he could find the perfect match for a Matoran within minutes. Although Ferna posed a challenge with his injury, Lhii knew there was a match for him. It wasn’t a matter of finding the match, it was a matter of finding the courage to suggest such a match. He sat down on a stool, and gazed at the opposite wall, where his lava board hung, like a painting, radiant as a lightstone. Flawlessly moulded, unrivaled balance, while maintaining a perfect speed. Adjustable foot grips made it fit for anyone to ride."It was the perfect match, and he knew it. Could he give it up, the board on which it all began, which he spent hours every day polishing, fine tuning. As he thought about his friend, limping toward his home, how he had valiantly stepped into the kikanalo’s path, saving his life, Lhii realized that he must do it; he would hate himself for all eternity if he didn’t."The next day, Lhii watched and instructed Ferna through the motions. “Lean to the side as if you intend to touch the lava...that’s it...now the other side...” Ta-Matoran stopped to watch this extraordinary sight, eyes darted from the legendary lava board that this disabled Ta-Matoran rode so gracefully, to the yellow Matoran observing from the bank. Lhii smiled and waved; never had he felt so satisfied.”Matoran smile as Vakama concludes his tale of uncommon courage and kindness.-----I wanted to write something that other people probably wouldn’t write about, and this seemed to be the only one that would work (I’ve forgotten the other ideas now).====================Theme: FlightWord count: 600Story: ReentryAn enormous aircraft rolls out onto the tarmac, a gigantic wing in appearance, a minuscule cockpit in the center between two rocket engines, two more engines at the wingtips. In the cockpit sits a Toa of Air, checking the controls, reading the dials; behind him sits a Glatorian, checking and re-checking calculations. Even the tiniest mistake will be devastating.“Artakha-1, come in.” The Toa responds via his Mask of Communication: “Artakha-1 reporting, all systems are ready-go.”Matoran and Agori watch from a safe distance as the wing takes its place on the runway. Toa use their powers to create holograms all over the planet: no inhabitant of the Spherus Magna would miss this historical event.“Ten.” The final countdown begins, a monotone voice echoing through the mountains.“Nine.” In a tall control tower, a Toa of Ice checks over the computing equipment.“Eight.” Matoran finish their inspection of the rocket engines just in time, scattering as the engines ignite.“Seven.” The pilot and navigator check and recheck equipment, seat belts, calculations.“Six.” The great wing starts down the runway, picking up speed.“Five.” The Toa pilot adjusts the flaps for optimum lift.“Four.” Great flames spring from the rocket engines as Artakha accelerates.“Three.” Excitement creeps into the announcer’s voice.“Two.” Engineers hold their breath.“One.” Matoran and Agori gasp as it lifts off, rocket engines angled downwards.“We have liftoff!” The excited voice sweeps around the planet. Matoran and Agori cheer, but this is only the beginning. Engineers in the Artakha-1 Exit and Entry Unit watch as the wing fades into the distance, their thoughts edged with doubt. Would Artakha-1 make it out of the atmosphere? More importantly, would it be able to reenter?-----“Artakha-1 reporting, an easy-smooth flight so far. Now entering Phase Two.” The wingtips begin to extend, widening, yielding more surface area and providing ample lift in the thin upper atmosphere. Plates slide into place, fitting seamlessly in the protosteel wing. Using his elemental powers, the Toa pressurizes the cabin. "Phase Two successful, over."Artakha-1 stays her course, wings expanding at crucial points, still generating lift. Matoran engineers grow tense, anticipating Phase Three: leaving the atmosphere behind and entering orbit. Will the Agori craftsmanship hold out?Now everything relies on the strength of the rocket engines, the precision of the pilot, and the accuracy of the navigator. The engines pivot ever so slightly, just the perfect angle, and the wing, now returning to it's original size, has left the atmosphere behind. The engines cut off, allowing Spherus Magna to pull Artakha-1 into orbit.Toa and Glatorian peer out of the shielded cabin windows at the magnificent, yet minuscule, planet below. Removing their harnesses, they float freely above their seats. "Artakha-1 reporting: we have arrived, and what a funny-strange sensation it is...over."Once again, the engineering team breathes. Exit Process all clear. But now they must prepare for the Reentry Process, the most dangerous part of the mission.The pilot and navigator check and recheck equipment. This is the most crucial moment, if Reentry fails, two lives, thousands of hours work, and countless resources are lost. The Toa adjusts the rockets, preparing for a gentle Reentry. Holding its course, Artakha-1 smoothly cuts into the atmosphere.-----"Come in, Artakha.""Artakha-1 reporting.""We have detected a system malfunction: break chute dispatcher reports a jam.""...Mata Nui help us..."-----The fireball is visible as an Agori hands a prewritten speech to the Turaga."Dear friends, we have suffered a great loss tonight..."-----I’m pretty satisfied with this one, and perhaps some day I’ll write an epic or something about the Bionicle Space Age or something, or maybe a false historical document...thingy.====================Theme: Alternate UniverseWord count: 600Story: TimeIt was the end of the Universe as they knew it. The very fabric of reality, the Space-Time continuum, had been torn apart, massive wormholes popped in and out of existence, and Time shifted, merciful as a Piraka.Amidst this mayhem a Toa of Ice sat with a Toa of Earth, sheltered within a machine of their own making. The Toa of Ice spoke: "there is no sense in returning to the past, trying to set this straight: our Universe will still exist in this state, our act will only create an alternate universe which, undoubtedly, would have been created otherwise. There is nothing we can do that has not already been done.""I have analyzed all available data, from that pivotal point in Time, there is nothing that could have saved our Universe from the Time Collapse. If we return to steal the Vahi, take it before it can be destroyed, we can create an alternate Universe. We can save Time.""We are needed here.""Inhabitants of this Universe are doomed. Should we deny these Matoran a better fate in an alternate universe?"-----The two Toa activated the Time Machine, checking and rechecking meters, dials, statistics. The slightest error, and they could materialize inside a mountain, instantly killing themselves, removing all hope of an ordered Universe. The machine began to vibrate as it drew power from energized protodermis, and it slipped through a gaping hole in the Fabric of Reality, taking a shortcut into the past, to that fateful point in Time...-----A Toa of Ice stood outside a large structure, waiting to be relieved of guard duties. He didn’t wait long, for soon, a Toa of Earth approached him, took his place.Behind a gate, an identical Toa of Ice stepped out of a great Machine, moving aside for an identical Toa of Earth to emerge.“We mustn’t be seen...especially not by ourselves. A paradox is the last thing we need.”The Toa climbed over the gate, darting behind obstacles as they made their way toward the great structure. They gave themselves a wide berth as they made their way around the building, climbing the walls, through an open window.There was no Time to lose. Rushing silently through corridors, hardly daring to breathe, they found themselves in front of the door. The door behind which the Mask of Time rested; innocent, yet guilty, of the end of Time as we know it.The Toa of Earth heard his past self outside of the building, yelling, he remembered doing the exact thing. Soon, the malicious individual would arrive. They grabbed the Vahi, dashing out the door. The Toa of Stone heard himself rushing up the stairs, remembered chasing a thief, just before Time was torn apart.The Toa launched themselves out of the window, sprinting madly toward the Time Machine. The Toa of Earth stumbled, fell to the ground, the Vahi cracked beneath him. Then the realization struck him: he was the thief, it was he who had caused the end of Time. Could he undo his actions, save Reality?Nearby plants started to wilt as Time took a blow; the Toa gathered up the fragments the Vahi, sprinting the last few meters to the Time Machine, locking themselves inside, powering on, isolating themselves from Reality, and not a moment too soon. The Vahi let out a blast of energy, strong enough to cripple Reality, yet affecting no more than two brave Toa and a Time Machine, cut off from the Universe, from Reality. Time, the brutal dictator, would live to govern another day.-----I just had to do time travel, I couldn’t resist it; the topic just screamed it at me! Then again, almost everything screams time travel at me. I also used the Toas of Ice and Earth because one is generally obsessed with he future, and the other the past.====================Theme: The LegacyWord count: 437Story: Tahu“...To Leah Fern, I leave my antique furniture collection, preserved perfectly from the day it was made, to do whatever she wishes with it...to Jason Fern I leave my estate, and every unclaimed item that lies within it...for Alexandre Fern I leave...Tahu...” The attorney continues, but my mind lingers on that two syllable name.Tahu...“Kids, we’re visiting Grandma today, make sure you’re ready!” My mom would tell us.“Yeah.” My brother would reply, preoccupied with his games.“I’m ready whenever,” my sister would say, reading one of her old books.“I get to see Tahu again!” I would exclaim, rushing to get ready, putting my shoes on the wrong feet in my hurry. On the long drive down, I always had trouble sitting still. Sometimes I would try to imagine which amazing story Grandma would tell me that day as I sat at her feet, playing with the red Toa.I would always be the first to the door, ringing the bell incessantly, peeking through the window as she opened the door. I would always head straight to the family room, where he stood alone above the fireplace, his exuberant colour scheme setting the mantle aflame.Tahu...I would turn the gears on his back, making him attack imaginary villains, parry invisible blows, as she would begin another story about how Tahu and his team of Toa saved the day. Sometimes I would retrieve other Bionicle figures from the drawer, making them act out Grandma’s story; sometimes I would take them apart, using the pieces to create new characters for Grandma’s stories, using Gali’s mask for an astronaut, fashioning cookie minions out of the Pahrak torso, salvaging parts from Jaller, Axonn, Matoro, but never the radiant Toa of Fire.Tahu...His Kanohi Hau shielded me from horrors of the world, from the sadness of losing my father. His fire warmed my heart. He was the symbol of my childhood, of who I am. As he grew in character, so did I. I learned of honor, courage, trust, and loyalty through the adventures of Tahu. I learned of the danger of rash decisions, to always keep my cool, to think before I act, something the Toa could never quite accomplish.Tahu...It makes perfect sense for me to have the Toa of Fire; he was and forevermore is a symbol of my grandmother’s love. Though she is gone, her legacy lives within this Toa, just as mine will, years from now. My brother may have gotten a house, my sister may have gotten furniture worth thousands of dollars, but she gave me him.Tahu.-----I’m pretty satisfied with the way this turned out, and if you check out the word count, I aimed for 437 words for three reasons: I like a umber to end in 7 (if possible), 4 +3 = 7, and 37 is cool (call me crazy, maybe I am :P).====================Theme: MusicWord count: 597Story: The MusicianThe chronicler spoke to the Turaga, of the strange, yet utterly beautiful, event he had witnessed all those years ago. He had failed to mention the mysterious songs in those long texts and records he had written, for he was never quite certain if what he had experienced was real, or if it was some apparition created by his mind as he lay, helpless and lost, in the vast, unconquered realm of nature.Now he knew that what he heard was true, for he had met the Musician once again, her notes still as beautiful, perfect, as they were before, her voice as strong as the wind, yet gentle like the stream that ran yonder, a sad cry of a wolf, yet more energetic than a meadow decorated with the boldest of flowers; and she still played the instrument, what a beautiful thing! As she puffed into the flute of branches and grass and plucked the strings of nature, an otherworldly sound resonated in the hearts of the listeners, and when that instrument was combined with her euphonious tones and astonishing vocals, it transcended the very nature of music.Afraid, despite his acquired descriptive skills, that he would be unable to portray the preternatural qualities of the Musician, the chronicler began his account of the night, thousands of years past, that he met the Musician."I lay between two rocks, cowering from the unseen, from the darkness that surrounded me; the stars shone, the brightest I had ever seen them, for there were no lightstones for Kio around. I heard the sound of Rahi deep within the shadowed forest, imagining the most foul monsters. This unknown, uncharted territory had me quivering, the very prospect of spending the night without a roof, above my head, without a foundation beneath my feet, terrified me beyond reason; there was nothing, or so I thought, that could alleviate the horrors of this situation."Curling up between the two rocks, I resigned myself to the night, hoping for no more than a few winks of sleep. Then I heard something, it sounded as if it came from the far off mountains; my first though was that it was a Rahi wolf, howling to it's pack about the vulnerable prey that I was; but it changed, the voice grew, echoing through the mountains, rustling the leaves: it was the wind whistling through the branches, between blades of grass - no, now it was the stream that gurgled over the smoothed pebbles, then it was a bird, singing the last notes before it slept, soon replaced by the hoots of an owl. Then it began to fade away, until all I heard were it's echoes, until all I felt was an inner calm that I had never felt before."Upon awakening the next morning, I could hear that supernatural voice once again, could feel the Musician's breath against my cheek as she whispered in my ear, feel the strings of her instrument beneath my feet: the blades of grass that swayed so gently in the wind. The bubbly song of the stream was intoxicating, the choir birds sang, whistled, tweeted their joyful songs, and at last I met the Musician in person, or rather in all her forms: for she was Nature herself, the lucent stream that flowed over the pebbles, the cool breeze that swayed the trees."Today I met her again, the Musician, as I walked the forest path over yonder; heard her play once again, her voice sweet as ever, and I hope that someday you will attend the Musician's concert too."-----This one was extremely last minute, and I couldn’t think of any good plots, so I decided to try my hand at descriptive writing and punctuation, sort of like an exercise.====================Once again, hope you enjoyed!=)

"Baby, in the final analyses, love is power. That's where the power's at."

Tumblr

Twitter

Wattpad