Legends Of Lhii Final Poll

Legends of Lhii Final Poll  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

legendsoflhii.png

Vote here for your favorite Legends of Lhii story; entries have been randomized. Please MAKE SURE YOU READ ALL ENTRIES BEFORE VOTING.Voting begins now and will end on June 17th at 11:59 PM EST. The entry with the most votes will be the winner of the Legends of Lhii theme and will then be either judged or polled against the winners of the other themes.

1. Inferno “Gathered friends,” Vakama began, “Listen again to the legend of Lhii the Matoran.” Neir sat with the other Matoran, gathered about the Turaga of Fire as he stared into the darkness surrounding them. Neir, however, gazed at the leaping licks of flame in the centre of the rough circle they had formed, mesmerised. Something about the light of a fire frightened him, for reasons he could not explain. He had asked Vakama about it, in hushed and embarrassed tones, and the Turaga had smiled and explained that it was all right to be afraid. Though he did not elaborate further, Neir had felt oddly comforted. As the Turaga spoke, an odd feeling came over him. A memory, perhaps? It felt like a memory of a dream, far-off and blurred. Still, it drifted over him, and he closed his eyes, but he still saw the warm glow of the fire… “One dark, stormy night, a bolt of lightning slashed down from the heavens and set a supply of wood and tar alight, causing angry crimson flames to run free amongst the homes of sleeping Matoran. Among the buildings that were being engulfed by the flames was the home of a quiet, well-mannered Matoran, who did not escape like the others did…” ~~~ FIRE! Neir screamed, black, deathly smoke choking him off. Around him, there was nothing but flames, leaping higher and higher, licking at the roof and devouring the walls. Sinister shades of orange pierced every corner, every single thing in sight engulfed by it. ~~~ “It seemed that all hope was lost, when Lhii ran from the darkness and leapt into the flaming doorway like the Makuta himself was on his heels. But no fear crossed his eyes as he searched for the Matoran…” ~~~ There was a crash, and a voice shouting his name. Neir screamed at it, stumbled towards it, but even as he did, a tall figure ran at full speed towards him. Red and gold armour slammed into view, but Neir was grateful. He held the figure tightly. ~~~ “Lhii found the Matoran, and bravely helped him escape the savagely burning house…” ~~~ Neir felt himself being placed on the ground but he did not dare let go. Not until he heard a gentle, calm voice tell him it was all right, and he was safe. Neir looked up at a golden mask, smiling gently, and his grip slackened. The figure stood and walked towards the flames, and as he did, he glowed, and he absorbed the flames into his own body… ~~~ “And, with the Matoran safe, he used his wits to expunge the flames, by… Am I boring you, Neir?” Neir awoke with a snort. Around him, Matoran were chuckling, and he ducked his head as low as he could. “S-Sorry Turaga, I… I’m sorry.” “Quite all right, Neir. Now, where was I…?” ~~~ After the tale was told and the other Matoran were either leaving or gone, Neir gulped and walked up to Turaga Vakama, who was sitting and staring up at the stars. “Turaga, I’m really very sorry, I was dreaming, and-“ “- It is all right, Neir. Tell me, what did you dream?” “It was the story, Turaga, I think. I was somewhere with lots of fire, and then someone saved me. But he didn’t wear a Pakari, he wore a Hau. And he was very tall, for a Matoran.” Vakama smiled, his eyes twinkling like the stars he was gazing at. “Ah. That would make sense, I think.” “What was that, Turaga?” “Nothing, Neir. Nothing.” -----
  2. Ballad of Lhii In the land the Matoran have claim, In Ta-Koro, the village of flame, On the island of Mata Nui There lived a Matoran named Lhii Lava surrounded the village Whose heat the Matoran did pillage But they avoided where the lava churned In fear that they would get burned But Lhii was braver than most And he would often boast About how he was not scared To go where the lava flared He tired to craft a device That could travel across lava in trice And speed down the lava river It was an idea that made his pals quiver A surf board he decided to adjust Made of metals that would not combust But before the board could be tested Turaga Vakama protested “That board is a danger,” he said “And if you fall off, you are dead. And as such I cannot permit For you to experiment with it.” Although his plan was now busted Turaga Vakama was one that he trusted So Lhii stored his surf board away But swore that he’d test it someday Then came the mighty Rahi attack Which pushed all the Matoran back Onto their village island Where they had to make their last stand The Rahi gathered on the ridge And then destroyed the village bridge Leaving Ta-Koro cut off and in peril And hope went down in a spiral “We need to call out for help,” A lava farmers did yelp “But the lava just cannot be crossed. And that means that we all are lost!” Lhii pushed to the front of the clan And announced “I have a plan.” On my lava board I will ride And find help from the outside.” Before anyone could protest Lhii started off on his quest His board surfed the lava like water And cut down the stream like an auger He made some excellent saves As he surfed on the lava’s waves Matoran watched him surf in fright Until he rode out of sight Ta-Koro prepared for the siege And even a potential breach But they couldn’t fight endlessly So all of their hope was in Lhii The Rahi were there for three days And the village they prepared to raze But the beasts’ efforts were just for nil When many Matoran appeared on the hill The Matoran were from all around Their cries fill the air with sound They charged down the hill hastily And leading their charge was Lhii The Rahi were swiftly defeated And those that survived retreated The Matoran, together and united Were quite the force to be sighted And thus Ta-Koro was saved And records of Lhii’s feat were engraved And all the Matoran across Mata Nui Learned of the legendary surfer named Lhii -----
  3. Lhii, the Rama, the Maiden and the Mountain Lhii was the strongest Of Ta-Koro’s guards And the greatest fire-surfer to live He fought off Makutas beasts Rode through a bitter heat And his skills, he used only to give. For Lhii was a gentle soul Kind at heart stone Who judged many a matorans fate. With many tales for him And honours adorn him The greatest I now relate Word spread of a lady From Ga-Koro’s navy Who’d been lost near Ko-Wahi’s cold Lhii packed up his broadsword And always his surfboard To set off for the mountains of old From bio, to kio, To mio he travelled Atop a Vako beasts back He walked by instinct Tracing no footsteps He was given no such thing to track On the banks of the Hura Mafa He found his first clue The wreck of the boat she had used Only few signs of a struggle Saw Lhii the great hunter Who was quickly growing more confused Still no footsteps remained From when she had surely Left behind her wrecked watercraft So Lhii the warrior noted The claw-stroke torn into The inside of the large raft Rahi, he knew, and it took Not long to note The beast that struck must have flown away ‘A Nui Rama!’ He decided And set off to find This villager who’d been forced astray So into the mountain Lhii continued to ride Forcing his way through the snow He cared not for it But he would endure it Though his pace grew ever more slow Fatigue began to claim The great heroes mind Though his honour kept him in pursuit He would not return Until he’d saved this maiden Or his duty to protect would be moot. Luck struck upon him Or otherwise so At the bottom of a narrow mountain pass When two Rama set upon him And with sword in hand He fought back to their great flying mass. In moments he struck down The first of his foes But the second still buzzed overhead Thinking fast as he could Lhii dropped his sword And was dragged off (to his poor Vako’s dread) Was it madness or weakness? That compelled such a hero To perform such a foolhardy feat? Neither, for in his hand Lhii still held the surfboard And in his mind his plan grew complete To the top of a mountain Lhii was taken. To a cave that served as a nest There he found the poor lady Of the Ga-Koro navy Who had served as the subject of his quest. From the moment he was dropped To the floor of the cave Lhii acted as no other would He called to the Matoran To run toward him To escape her entrapment if she could With all the force he could muster Lhii hefted his board To batter the Rama who took him. He threw down his the tool Took the maiden in his arms And over the cave edge he did skim To the horror of his passenger Lhii did glide Along the steep mountainside Off the ridges he bounced On the ice he slipped up But unfalteringly he went on to ride. At the foot of the mountain His Vako now waited For his master to return to his saddle Lhii skidded to a stop Let down the Ga-Matoran Who was most understandably rattled This has been the tale of Lhii Who journeyed off far To save someone he knew not Through the songs of the air-folk And the tales of the Turaga His deeds will main un-forgot *Musician Sanso’s musical adaptation of Vakama’s tale. -----
  4. The Lava Breaks It was another ordainary day on Mata Nui, and the work of lava farming was going well. Lhli, our valiant Matoran and good friend, was taking a minute of rest from the dangerous work, as it was his turn to keep watch for fiendish beasts down by the lava breaks. But this time, not all was peace and quiet as we thought it would be. Dark shapes appeared over the side of the crater, accompanied by ferocious, tiny insects, goading them on. Lhli sounded the alarm, but there was one Matoran who refused to leave. It would only take a moment, he said, to finish his work. Lhli wasn’t about to leave his Matoran friend behind. But the Rahi were coming closer, and closer, so close that he could hear the buzz of the fireflyers and see the glint of the Kofo-Jaga’s stingers. And yet his friend was absorbed in his work, never noticing the approaching danger. The fireflyers were inches from his armor…the Kofo-Jaga were tensed and ready to strike…when, at the last second, the Matoran was knocked off his feet, swept down the channel by Lhli and his lava surfboard! The Kofo-Jaga gave chase, but they could not keep up with our valiant hero, who flew down the lava breaks faster then a speeding Mahi. Oh, he was faster even than the fireflyers that day. Lhli went through various tunnels, going faster and faster, trying to lose the Kofo-Jaga, but they stayed right on his tail. He was going his fastest yet, almost back to the village, when he realized he was on the path to the lava falls! Lhli had just one chance – the safety stones in front of the falls. And yet – the Matoran whom he had saved would plunge to his death. The Rahi were coming… At the last second, Lhli took his brother and set him on the stones. The lava current ripped him away. The Rahi, blind beasts that they were, followed him, plunging into the depths below. And that is how Lhli, the bravest and strongest of Matoran, met his end. No Matoran has laid eyes on him since. The price for our village’s safety that day was one of our finest warriors. There will never be another like him. * * * “Turaga” a Matoran asked, “who was Lhli’s friend?” Vakama shook his head. “It is not wise to speak ill of your brothers. The Matoran I speak of is among you. Best to put it aside.” -----
  5. Hot Air It was only three days after the arrival of the Toa on Mata Nui. After the initial furor, the Matoran had gone back to work. But they were still keyed up, and Turaga Vakama had been forced to relate all the prophecies concerning the Toa yet again. Having run out of those, he had begun relating some of the Matoran's favorite tales, including several about Lhii, the mythical Matoran lava surfer extraordinaire. Vakama kept speaking, even after an awed silence told him Tahu must have entered the room behind him. The story ended, and the Matoran filed silently from the room. Vakama turned to face Tahu, who, as usual, did not waste any time with niceties. “That story about the Matoran; that was true?” Vakama inclined his head in assent. Tahu pointed to the lava fall about a mile away. “That was the one he went down, and survived?” The fall in question a gigantic thing, spewing many dozen tons of lava every second out of a tunnel in the mountainside. From there the molten rock fell almost a thousand feet to pool up into a lave lake more than a mile across. The radiant heat from it was so strong even Ta-Matoran avoided it when possible. “He did more than survive,” The Turaga said, “He placed a small replica of the Mata Nui stone on an outcropping about halfway down the fall.” (This stone had actually been placed there many years ago by Turaga Nuju's Mask of Telekinesis, at Turaga Vakama's request. It helped make Lhii more real to the Matoran, and furthered the myths meant to honor Toa Lhikan's memory.) The Turaga spoke reverently, thinking of Toa Lhikan, “He was the greatest lava surfer of all time.” Tahu stood, apparently digesting this. He appeared intrigued, but abruptly turned on his heel and started to leave the room. Even Vakama, who had grown used to brusqueness from Tahu, was somewhat startled by this abrupt departure. “Where are you going to so quickly, Toa?” Tahu looked back over his shoulder slightly without slowing down. “If I can't beat a Matoran at surfing, I have no business or chance in a fight against the Makuta. I will be back in an hour, Turaga.” Vakama was shocked. The urge to save Tahu from almost certain death warred with habits he had built over one thousand years of elaborate lying. He struggled with himself to speak the truth, tell Tahu it was merely a falsehood to commemorate Toa Lhikan. But the repercussions of such an admittance choked him. The truth, Vakama told himself, would out. Everything about Metru Nui and how the Matoran truly arrived here on Mata Nui would be revealed. As Tahu's steps faded down the corridor, Vakama finally convinced himself that honesty was the best policy. But by then it was far too late. Horrified, Vakama saw a tiny dot go down the fall. He knew he had doomed the Matoran to an existence beneath Makuta just to continue the perpetration of some relatively unimportant lies. He buried his face in in hands. despairing, cursing the lies the Turaga spoke so glibly. It was a sudden crash that brought the Turaga out of the nightmare he had created for himself. He looked up slowly to see a smoking Mata Nui stone in front of him. He stared wonderingly at Tahu's smoldering back as he walked away. The next day Tahu, passing by the chamber, heard Vakama begin another tale. But this story started differently. “Now listen to the story of Lhii,” Vakama said, “The second-greatest lava surfer of all time...” -----

"As a writer you ask yourself to dream while awake." ~ Aimee Bender

I already hate this poll. It's the only one I made it into with my poem / song, and the other poem / song is also here! Worst of all, it's clearly better than mine too! Stupid competition. :PBut anyway, yeah, voting for entry 3, because it's awesome and so much better than mine.:music:

All of these were really good, but to me it came down to 2 and 5. I ended up voting for number two, because it got the theme better. It also reminded me of my own entry, which followed a similar plot, except much better because it was an awesome ballad.

AXKP5KC.png

Neir's story, that was pretty cool, and it's fun to play with the Matoran of Mata Nui's memories in these contests, isnt it? I am disappointed I didn't read this story before, because it's well done. 4 was my choice before I read this, and Tahu's ethics were well written for his character. I liked the line "Tahu, who, as usual, did not waste any time with niceties." It really illustrates his personality.

I voted for 5.I also liked 1. It was a creative take on the theme, and I liked the premise. As I said in its first poll (where I did vote for it), interspersing the censored "Lhii" version with Neir's half-recovered memories of the genuine event was really a cool idea.But 5 had Tahu (the real lava surfing champion), pretty accurately portrayed. And it showed Vakama's lies having serious consequences for once, which was nice (not that he seems to have learned much from it). It would fit well in Tales of the Masks.So yeah, 1 and 5 were my favorites, but I preferred 5 in the end.-Excelsior

bannerwithstrangedevicesmall.jpg

My writings:

The Toa Ekara - Visions A short story. Ga-Koro Mobs My entry for the LSO Comedies Contest. Team Extempore's entry for the LSO Epics Contest