Propellers Or Spinners?

Movie images are not always more canon. A lot of the visual stuff from the movies was artistic license (although the basic appearance of the characters is more canon, in terms of being biomechanical, etc.), while most of the plot is "more canon." What is really most canon however is whatever the story team says.Unfortunately I don't remember what Greg confirmed about this one, just that he did answer it... :shrugs:

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)

Oh no! Bones doesn't have the answer!Anyway, I'm pretty sure that it's been confirmed you can fly with Rhotuka. That was a sort of major plot point in the movie, and I seem to remember that the Rahaga were confirmed to use their rhotuka to fly. Or maybe they didn't fly at all, and that was all just artistic license...

--------------   Tarrok | Korzaa | Verak | Kirik   --------------

Trivia section of BS01 page for the Rahaga:

In Web of Shadows, the Rahaga have the ability to fly using helicopter-like rotors mounted on their back, though in the actual storyline they have none. They can, however, use their Rhotuka for flight. The movie designers gave them propellers to allow flight, per creative license. The same reason explains why each had a retractable headlight.

Keep in mind that if Star Trek fans had, as a group, said, "No point in talking about this anymore, it's never going to come back," it never WOULD have come back.

-- Greg Farshtey

In the comic adaptation, they were swinging around on webs instead of flying, so maybe they can't fly at all.

Thank you, BZPower staff. In the past, I wish I showed more appreciation for all that you do. From one Bionicle fan to another, thank you.

On the sets, and I'm assuming in canon, they were only weapons, but I'm assuming artistic license took over that for the films.

Nuparu1995

92% of teens have moved onto rap.

If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

320px-0,540,38,392-Batman_memorial.jpg

R.I.P. - 7/20/2012

Movie images are not always more canon. A lot of the visual stuff from the movies was artistic license (although the basic appearance of the characters is more canon, in terms of being biomechanical, etc.), while most of the plot is "more canon." What is really most canon however is whatever the story team says.Unfortunately I don't remember what Greg confirmed about this one, just that he did answer it... :shrugs:
Challenge accepted.
Sets come first. That means things like the Rahaga flying on helicopter blades are not canon, because there is nothing like that on the set.
That's the first one I find, from October 2006. Edited by fishers64

Two quotes from the Web of Shadows novelization. The first refers to when the Toa Hordika (minus Vakama) are at the Coliseum's center, with a horde of Visorak converging on them.

The Toa shifted as one. Their spinners were no longer aimed at the horde, but rather at the uppermost levels of the Coliseum. At Nokama's signal, they each extended a Toa tool into the whirling field of energy. Merged with the spinners, the tools were held fast. Now wherever they went, the Toa Hordika would be pulled along behind. [...] Nokama, Nuju and Whenua stuck to the plan. With great effort, they climbed up their tools and mounted the spinners. None of them had ever tried anything like this before - actually riding a wheel of energy - and they all knew it was only the electromagnetic field around the wheels that supported them. The instant the spinners weakened, they would fall to their deaths. For now, though, they were proving quite effective at slicing through Visorak webs.
This description seems pretty clear to me. Of course, this isn't exactly what happens in the movie, but I always understood that books and comics came first. And now about the Rahaga. In the movie, we see Norik use his propeller to rescue the other Rahaga. In the book, instead:
The Rahaga followed the direction of the voice to see their missing friend flying toward them on top of his energy spinner.

632461607_Bannerdefinitivopiccolo.png.8e4bc632ba965c6eaef9247ce71df1d7.png
My collection of epics: The Sanctum of Writing

Challenge accepted.
Sets come first. That means things like the Rahaga flying on helicopter blades are not canon, because there is nothing like that on the set.
That's the first one I find, from October 2006.
Ha. That proves my point about the sets being the official representation, and being more canon than the movies. (Which someone contradicted me on before...)As for the question,
In Web of Shadows, the Rahaga have the ability to fly using helicopter-like rotors mounted on their back, though in the actual storyline they have none. They can, however, use their Rhotuka for flight. The movie designers gave them propellers to allow flight, per creative license. The same reason explains why each had a retractable headlight.
I agree with this.

Pk57sNJ.jpg

Challenge accepted.
That's the first one I find, from October 2006.
Ha. That proves my point about the sets being the official representation, and being more canon than the movies. (Which someone contradicted me on before...)As for the question,
I agree with this.
What Greg means is that the sets are just representations of the characters in terms of, they're just plastic, they come in pieces that sometimes the characters don't, they don't represent the organic components usually, the heartlight, etc. So they are less official than the movie versions of the sets. But anything the movie shows that the sets don't have like these propellors is not official, because they are not represented in the set. So the set representations of the character are the most official in terms of basic shape, but not all the superficial little details (which is mainly because they're plastic). Does that help? :) Edited by bonesiii

The Destiny of Bionicle (chronological retelling of Bionicle original series, 9 PDFs of 10 chapters each on Google Drive)Part 1 - Warring with Fate | Part 2 - Year of Change | Part 3 - The Exploration Trap | Part 4 - Rise of the Warlords | Part 5 - A Busy Matoran | Part 6 - The Dark Time | Part 7 - Proving Grounds | Part 8 - A Rude Awakening | Part 9 - The Battle of Giants

My Bionicle Fanfiction  (Google Drive folder, eventually planned to have PDFs of all of it)